Options

Dragon Age Thread - Bring your boxing gloves!

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    DarkPrimus has been kidnapped by Blackjack and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

His TECH was something to respect
    But has long since ended the ride
    VANILLA'S REIGN ended his pain
    And he'll catch you on the FLIP SIDE
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Captain Eleven has been kidnapped by Aistan and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

A tale as old as TIME? Psh, I would know.
    That Beast ain’t shit, I’m the real beauty
    I knew Noah biblically (no homo)
    Now gimmie a clam to break on my tummy
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    We're nearing 100 and I'm working on a glorious Mage OP

I hope you're all as excited as I am

Someone is just begging for the rite of tranquility.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So just started DA2.

One of my new companions is a Dalish elf
    who uses blood magic.

This can only end in tears.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Now I want to play DA2 again just so I can (END SPOILER)
    murder the crap out of Anders again.

And again. And again. And again.

I've got a save game a short distance before that, for that very reason.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    So just started DA2.

who uses blood magic.

oh goody, another person to follow through the game!
    will you be our new Wyborn?

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    So just started DA2.

who uses blood magic.

Another delicious playthrough.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    So just started DA2.

who uses blood magic.

I'm of the opinion that the system of the circles to control mages is a good thing (granted the templars need to learn ease up a bit).

But blood magic is fucking terrible its not even open to discussion.

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    So just started DA2.

who uses blood magic.

I'm of the opinion that the system of the circles to control mages is a good thing (granted the templars need to learn ease up a bit).

Why you gotta be so close minded man

If mages wanna use their blood to get a little extra juice

Who are you to judge?

• Options
    So just started DA2.

who uses blood magic.

Who are you to judge?

When I think of blood magic, the images that spring to mind are lots of dead innocent people, demons, abominations, human sacrifice and the tevinter imperium.

I'ma gone judge plenty.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    what's the closest singleplayer game that provides a Bioware RPG experience besides the Bioware and Bethesda RPGs?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    what's the closest singleplayer game that provides a Bioware RPG experience besides the Bioware and Bethesda RPGs?

Probably (properly patched) Troika and Obsidian games.

• Options
    looking at the lists of games those devs made, I've already played most of them too - Vampire, NWN2 (which sucked btw), and Fallout.

I haven't played KOTOR II though, is that quite a good game compared to Dragon Age/Mass Effect?

• Options
    So just started DA2.

who uses blood magic.

Who are you to judge?

When I think of blood magic, the images that spring to mind are lots of dead innocent people, demons, abominations, human sacrifice and the tevinter imperium.

I'ma gone judge plenty.

And with Elemental magic I can just set everything on fire instead.

I wish we got more examples of responsible blood mages, true. But in essence it's just magic like any other, not inherently evil.

• Options
    So just started DA2.

who uses blood magic.

Who are you to judge?

I'ma gone judge plenty.

I wish we got more examples of responsible blood mages, true. But in essence it's just magic like any other, not inherently evil.

I'm not holding my breath.

I fully expect that at some point
    If I can't steer my new elf friend away from blood magic, we're going to have a falling out. And by that I mean she fucks up and I'll have to kill her.

• Options
    So just started DA2.

who uses blood magic.

Who are you to judge?

I'ma gone judge plenty.

If I can't steer my new elf friend away from blood magic, we're going to have a falling out. And by that I mean she fucks up and I'll have to kill her.

Well I ain't gonna spoil nothing so I guess we'll have to discuss that point later

Just remember Karl

Mages rule Templars drool

• Options
    So just started DA2.

who uses blood magic.

Who are you to judge?

I'ma gone judge plenty.

Well I ain't gonna spoil nothing so I guess we'll have to discuss that point later

Just remember Karl

In DA:O

I sided with
    the circle over the Templar.

I was all "c'mon lads crisis averted, we don't have to kill everyone now".

And they listened because they were reasonable.

The Templar in Kirkwall do not seem so level headed.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So just started DA2.

who uses blood magic.

Who are you to judge?

I'ma gone judge plenty.

Just remember Karl

Just remember, Karl. Anyone who says this sort of thing is probably an abomination. And abominations aren't your friends.

looking at the lists of games those devs made, I've already played most of them too - Vampire, NWN2 (which sucked btw), and Fallout.

I haven't played KOTOR II though, is that quite a good game compared to Dragon Age/Mass Effect?

Hmm. It's got good writing, especially if you don't want to punch Kreia through a wall, but the gameplay is the old KOTOR DnD derived model, so that might be a minor issue, and the game is very unfinished due to a Christmas rush thing.

Another in the get-if-cheap-you-might-like pile is Alpha Protocol. The gunplay is awful, but the narrative reacts to you better than almost anything else on the market.

On the one hand, it isn't making my top ten, twenty, maybe even fifty games list. On the other, I'd agree with filing it as a must play. What it does wrong is a lot. But what it does right, nobody matches.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    At the moment, I'm trying to
    kill some renegade Qunari so some dwarf can buy gun powder.

Also I just told some half elf kid to stop being a nob, go back to Kirkwall and join the circle.

Those are not nightmares you're having.

Demons are trying to possess you whilst you sleep. You need training.

Where's Wynne when you need her.

• Options
    KOTOR II is fun, but unfinished and it shows. It falls apart especially near the end where you're wondering why there's all these gaps in the narrative. If it's cheap and you liked KOTOR you'll probably still like this too.

Alpha Protocol's gameplay is nothing to write home about, BUT its narrative and its reaction to your choices are great. I can recommend playing it at least once. I put everything on easy to not be bothered by the gameplay, that worked!

Both games have their flaws, but both are still worth playing if you can get 'em cheap. I'd personally put Alpha Protocol over KOTOR II.

• Options
    D&D gameplay doesn't bother me, the original Neverwinter Nights and its expansions remains in my top five games of all time.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    The Restored Content mod fixes all the problems KotOR II has and turns it into one of the best RPGs ever. Play it.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

While the original campaign for NWN2 was mediocre, the expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, was amazing.

Kotor II is great also.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    The Restored Content mod fixes all the problems KotOR II has and turns it into one of the best RPGs ever. Play it.
    The Restored Content mod doesn't fix the hilariously horrible and broken ending. KOTOR2 gets a lot of forgiveness because it's seen through nine years of rose-colored glasses.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Disagree, the ending is fine, although not great. The rest of the game holds up extremely well (I've played through it a couple of months ago).

It's miles better than the first KotOR.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

KotOR2 is still maybe my favorite RPG of all time

One of the characters in it is my favorite character from any game ever, but the whole cast (minus Bao-Dur I guess, though I really like him too) is head and shoulders above the first game's

It's more flawed than DA2 is, but its strengths are super crazy

Also it's the only game of its type where I recommend playing male over female, because Handmaiden rules and the Disciple drools

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Concerning blood magic, and if there can be mages who use it without being evil knobs:
    Yes.

There was one mage, one of Grace's followers, who realized she was super crazy and tried to stop her when she wanted to kill me.

He knew blood magic. He learned it from Grace, like Orsino learned it from Quentin. He used it to break Grace's curse on Fenris, a wholly selfless act that could have lead to his execution.

Nothing is black and white. There is no absolute evil, save the Blight.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Concerning blood magic, and if there can be mages who use it without being evil knobs:
    Yes.

There was one mage, one of Grace's followers, who realized she was super crazy and tried to stop her when she wanted to kill me.

He knew blood magic. He learned it from Grace, like Orsino learned it from Quentin. He used it to break Grace's curse on Fenris, a wholly selfless act that could have lead to his execution.

Play Awakening.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Now I didn't say the Darkspawn

I said the blight

You telling me that's countered by Awakening?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Yes.

I will agree with you that Blood Magic, in and of itself, is not evil. It is simply an alternate source of power as opposed to Lyrium. The issue is that Evil People flock to it because it offers a lot of power if you use blood from other people rather than your own, and Evil People are all about slaughtering others to further their own power.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Disagree, the ending is fine, although not great. The rest of the game holds up extremely well (I've played through it a couple of months ago).

It's miles better than the first KotOR.
    KOTOR had one of the best reveals of any game to date.
    KOTOR2 had... uh... a crappy, mustache-twirling villainess motivated solely by revenge because people were mean, /whine. (my most uncharitable assessment)

Did it have good things? Absolutely. Several clever characters, excellent mechanical improvements, some good thematic set pieces, and improving on some of the plot elements of the original. And two awesome scenes about killing Jedi (Atton and HK-47, daaamn).

It also had repetitive, boring locations, a staggering amount of cut content, Malachor V, and having to read a Let's Play to piece all the bits together into a coherent whole.

• Options
    Is someone talking shit about Kreia in here

Are we going to go to war ov-

No

No this is the Dragon Age thread

We will have this fight another time

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KotOR seems to infect every BioWare thread, and I couldn't find a KOTOR thread in the first couple pages of search results. Somebody fire off a new thread and let's argue! Or we could do it in the D&D Star Wars Thread, or the MMO SWTOR thread.

• Options
    No, let's

Let's not

I had that fight almost ten years ago, I don't have the will to do it again right now.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Now I didn't say the Darkspawn

I said the blight

You telling me that's countered by Awakening?

Yep. It's rather ambiguous.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Wait, Kreia, a mustache twirler? Compared to whom? Malak? Bwahahahaha!

Kotor's "twist" was obvious from before you leave Dantooine.

Not saying Kotor is bad, quite the contrary. I enjoyed it. But Kotor 2 is leaps and bounds ahead.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Where's Wynne when you need her.
    The Grand Cleric is pretty Wynne like. Awesome old lady with a strong moral compass who is more than capable of dropping a zinger when appropriate.

(DON'T READ THIS end game stuff)
    ANDERS!!!!!!!!!

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Grand Cleric
    I am not a fan

her insistence on sitting on the fence made the Kirkwall Powder Keg so much worse

maybe intervening wouldn't have prevented what happened but man, she didn't even try

• Options
    Wait, Kreia, a mustache twirler? Compared to whom? Malak? Bwahahahaha!
    Comparison unnecessary. She literally ties you to a train track then runs off to enact her master plan, mu-ah-ha-ha. Kreia is a black top hat away from being Snidely Whiplash.

Malak was never anything more than an opportunistic thug, and nobody tries to pretend he was more than that.