Options

Dragon Age Thread - Bring your boxing gloves!

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Elendil wrote: »
    Grand Cleric
    I am not a fan

her insistence on sitting on the fence made the Kirkwall Powder Keg so much worse

maybe intervening wouldn't have prevented what happened but man, she didn't even try
    Intervening not only wouldn't have prevented it, it would have caused what happened. Getting rid of Meredith would have caused her to go rogue. Getting rid of Orsino would have caused the mages to rebel, as they saw him as their only saving grace. She knew this, which is why she stayed neutral while reigning both of them in.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Grand Cleric
    I am not a fan

her insistence on sitting on the fence made the Kirkwall Powder Keg so much worse

maybe intervening wouldn't have prevented what happened but man, she didn't even try
    Intervening not only wouldn't have prevented it, it would have caused what happened. Getting rid of Meredith would have caused her to go rogue. Getting rid of Orsino would have caused the mages to rebel, as they saw him as their only saving grace. She knew this, which is why she stayed neutral while reigning both of them in.
    i agree that getting rid of either of wasn't exactly practical

but she didn't really rein either of them in though

when they start arguing, all she does is send them to their rooms

which is a fine way to get them to stop arguing in the street, but it is completely avoiding dealing with the issue

it just looks to me like meredith ramped up and ramped templar authority while the grand cleric sat on the sidelines

as much as i hate to cite anders here, i think he has kind of a point re: not taking sides = taking meredith's side

it's a tacit endorsement of meredith, and it makes sense that when the mages (ANDERS) explode, the chantry is their target because there's no indication of the grand cleric responding to the mages' complaints with anything but lip service

• Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular

Blackjack wrote: »
    Grand Cleric
    I am not a fan

i agree that getting rid of either of wasn't exactly practical

but she didn't really rein either of them in though

when they start arguing, all she does is send them to their rooms

which is a fine way to get them to stop arguing in the street, but it is completely avoiding dealing with the issue

it just looks to me like meredith ramped up and ramped templar authority while the grand cleric sat on the sidelines

as much as i hate to cite anders here, i think he has kind of a point re: not taking sides = taking meredith's side

it's a tacit endorsement of meredith, and it makes sense that when the mages (ANDERS) explode, the chantry is their target because there's no indication of the grand cleric responding to the mages' complaints with anything but lip service
    At the very least, she could have forced Meredith to allow the nobles to elect a new Viscount, which could have helped smooth things over. Allowing Meredith control of Kirkwall through fear isn't exactly a great plan.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Aw.

Then what's the next game you're going to liveblog?

Dunno. Something, I guess. Was thinking I'd play Alpha Protocol or Planescape but I wouldn't post about those in the same style. Or maybe Awakening? THat'd fit at least, but I have a feeling that Awakening doesn't have quite as many moments that would make me explode as Origins proper, much less DA2.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Do Planescape.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Do AP. Everyone should play AP

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Do AP. Everyone should play AP

Seconded. Alpha Protocol is one game I thoroughly enjoyed and never really understood the backlash against it. It has some of the most memorable scenes, including a really awesome boss fight in Moscow.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd pick AP over Awakening any day of the week.

Awakening is good, but there really isn't that huge, OMFG moments.

Maybe a couple, but it's a much more subtle story.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I've been thinking and I think there is one somewhat good use of blood magic
    the joining ceremony for grey wardens involves drinking darkspawn blood

And by good, worse case situation you die outright instead of slowly turning into a darkspawn a few decades down the line.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

And by good, worse case situation you die outright instead of slowly turning into a darkspawn a few decades down the line.
    Templar phylactery use is blood magic.

• Options
    So is the technical application of the Reaver spec.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

I think Reavers are generally considered evil, aren't they?

Except when the protagonist picks that spec, since there are no consequences to simply not being evil while being a Reaver.

• Options
    the consequence of being a reaver is that you are awesome

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

Ah I didn't know that.

Blood magic is still on the whole terrible though

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    what's the closest singleplayer game that provides a Bioware RPG experience besides the Bioware and Bethesda RPGs?

The Witcher games. Hell, Witcher 1 even uses a Bioware engine.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    what's the closest singleplayer game that provides a Bioware RPG experience besides the Bioware and Bethesda RPGs?

The Witcher games. Hell, Witcher 1 even uses a Bioware engine.

I disagree with this, at least for Witcher 1. Your PC in Witcher 1, Geralt, at least, has a personality that cannot be influenced by the player in any way, shape, or form. You don't have choices of Kind Geralt, Sarcastic Geralt, or Angry Geralt. You just have Sexist, Asshole Geralt with no deviation from it.

Its why I could not play more than four or five hours of that game. At no time did I ever have a chance to make Geralt an actually likable person.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Aw.

Then what's the next game you're going to liveblog?

Dunno. Something, I guess. Was thinking I'd play Alpha Protocol or Planescape but I wouldn't post about those in the same style. Or maybe Awakening? THat'd fit at least, but I have a feeling that Awakening doesn't have quite as many moments that would make me explode as Origins proper, much less DA2.

Go for AP. As has been said the gunplay is not that much but the story play is fasciniating and there is so much that can happen to you and just you. Your AP run will be unique to you simply because of all the options you get.

personal recommendation. Do your first play through as a recruit (unlocks the veteran class for your next play through)

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    looking at the lists of games those devs made, I've already played most of them too - Vampire, NWN2 (which sucked btw), and Fallout.

I haven't played KOTOR II though, is that quite a good game compared to Dragon Age/Mass Effect?

KotOR2 is still maybe my favorite RPG of all time

One of the characters in it is my favorite character from any game ever, but the whole cast (minus Bao-Dur I guess, though I really like him too) is head and shoulders above the first game's

It's more flawed than DA2 is, but its strengths are super crazy

Also it's the only game of its type where I recommend playing male over female, because Handmaiden rules and the Disciple drools

Which is kinda ironic, since the "canonical" protagonist for most such games--Baldur's Gate, etc.--is male. Yet with Kotor2, the Exile is codified in Star Wars' EU as being female.

EDIT: But enough about Star Wars, let's talk Dragon Age! Is it rude to just write the number on the birthday cake rather than somehow making a cake large enough to handle 897 candles?

I think Reavers are generally considered evil, aren't they?

Except when the protagonist picks that spec, since there are no consequences to simply not being evil while being a Reaver.

The flavor of that class always was confusing.

I just imagine that a warrior protagonist who unlocks Reaver
    kills the high dragon and drinks its blood

Shadowen on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

Ah I didn't know that.

Blood magic is still on the whole terrible though

Blood magic is just a tool.

Like a hammer it's harmless. As long as you don't bash someone's head in with it...

• Options
    as merrill said, a spirit is a spirit

as anders demonstrates, all spirits are dicks

• Options
    Wynne never named that one spirit. What was it? Mercy? Kindness? Something like that.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Faith

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Sure, a hammer. Gifted to you by demons.

Not neccessarily, it can be taught from one mage to another.

There's alot of potential in blood magic not the least of which would be it's incredible ability to heal wounds and purge blood of taints demonstrated by every blood mage walking off impaling themselves and avernus working with the darkspawn taint.

It's just difficult to argue that when every blood mage seems completed deranged and experiments on others. It's the really annoying part of DA2 for me, I know they kind of justify it with the whole thin veil thing but I really would of liked to see more level headed mages.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Acharenus wrote: »

There's alot of potential in blood magic not the least of which would be it's incredible ability to heal wounds and purge blood of taints demonstrated by every blood mage walking off impaling themselves and avernus working with the darkspawn taint.

It's just difficult to argue that when every blood mage seems completed deranged and experiments on others. It's the really annoying part of DA2 for me, I know they kind of justify it with the whole thin veil thing but I really would of liked to see more level headed mages.

I think that's kind of the point. The only level headed mages are the ones like Wynn who embrace the Circle and the Chantry. Those who try to reject them inevitably go mad, either with power or driven there by demonic whispers that they can't deal with. It sucks a whole lot, but that kind of seems to be the point. The world of Dragon Age sucks for the people who live there.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I sided with the mages every time in DA2. Just because I would look at the Chantry, in both games and go "Oh yeah, this needs to go. Needs to go hard."

"Someone get me some nails and a list of theses."

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Acharenus wrote: »

I think that's kind of the point. The only level headed mages are the ones like Wynn who embrace the Circle and the Chantry. Those who try to reject them inevitably go mad, either with power or driven there by demonic whispers that they can't deal with. It sucks a whole lot, but that kind of seems to be the point. The world of Dragon Age sucks for the people who live there.
    But that's undercut by the fact that my playthrough was as a renegade blood mage and demons never tried to really tempt me into anything. I mean, sure it is in the fiction but its not in the actual game itself.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    That's because Hawke has protagium running through his veins.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

That seems like more of a problem with DA2's "blood mage or bust" craziness than the world of Dragon Age. Excluding the protagonists, Morrigan wasn't insane or a blood mage, presumably most of the Dalish keepers are not, Bethany wasn't before being forced into the Circle, etc.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ALso, for all of our shit-talking

Merrill wasn't crazy so much as she was foolish

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I dunno, man. For someone "foolish" she seemed to have an awfully clear understanding of what a spirit will do to you if it gets control. The impression I got from her, knowing how much she truly understood, was that she was just generally suicidal.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

I dunno, man. For someone "foolish" she seemed to have an awfully clear understanding of what a spirit will do to you if it gets control. The impression I got from her, knowing how much she truly understood, was that she was just generally suicidal.
    Merrils perspective seems to be to treat all fade spirits as equally dangerous. So Anders think she is foolish for talking with a demon but she thinks he is more foolish for actually trusting a Justice spirit. I think on the whole she is wrong about this, some things in the Fade are more malevolent then others like we see in Wynn who is technically just the nicest abomination.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    That's because Hawke has protagium running through his veins.
    Yeah but so does the greywarden and any mages you spec into blood mage path, which for me in Awakening included Anders which I am dissapointed did not even get mentioned in DA2 since he didn't seem to mind being a Blood Mage in Awakening.

• Options
    I think they said something about hoping to make each spec more in-depth, skill-wise, only allowing the player to select one spec, and having that spec actually be commented on in-story. That would be pretty sweet if I'm not just making things up.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    I really wish I could get on with the dragon age and mass effect sequels as much as everyone else. This isn't me being patronizing but these threads just make me want to play the originals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    To each his own. I just really hate the bland silent protagonist concept.

Its why I prefer 2 to Origins. I couldn't empathize with the Warden. I could with Hawke.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i can understand a preference for DA:O over DA2, but I cannot understand a preference for ME1 over 2 and 3.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    What I don't get is why people get so mad about DA2. It doesn't erase Origins from existance

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    One of the great joys of these forums is finding links to banters I missed in the game:

God, I love Isabela.

• Options
    Yeah, that's one of my complaints about the mage path of DA2, the game fails to show me any mages that I sympathize with.

Not saying all mages are stupid assholes, but all mages in Kirkwall sure all. Of course, the reason these mages are assholes is because of other mages fucking up the Veil there, so... yeah.

Wynne was also a special case, since she was technically dead when "possessed" by Faith. Spirits interact with dead humans differently than living humans. You see it repeated with Justice in DA:A and any Revenant. Spirits retain their original personality (for lack of a better word) when entering dead things.

steam_sig.png