Options

Dragon Age Thread - Bring your boxing gloves!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If Dragon Age 3 has any quests of the same quality as The Long Road, i'll be happy with my purchase.

I can't believe I didn't play sarcastic Hawke the first time though.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    What I don't get is why people get so mad about DA2. It doesn't erase Origins from existance

Yeah, but the whole point of DAO was that the 10 year dev cycle meant that it was steeped in 10 year old tropes, which DA2 and it's sequels will abandon. Like, say, letting you have more than 3-6 colored choices

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    ALso, for all of our shit-talking

Merrill wasn't crazy so much as she was foolish

I dunno, man. For someone "foolish" she seemed to have an awfully clear understanding of what a spirit will do to you if it gets control. The impression I got from her, knowing how much she truly understood, was that she was just generally suicidal.
    Merrils perspective seems to be to treat all fade spirits as equally dangerous. So Anders think she is foolish for talking with a demon but she thinks he is more foolish for actually trusting a Justice spirit.

Sure she won't "trust" a spirit, she'll just make a pact with one, knowing full well that spirits can't be trusted.

Like I said, suicidal.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    What I don't get is why people get so mad about DA2. It doesn't erase Origins from existance

Yeah, but the whole point of DAO was that the 10 year dev cycle meant that it was steeped in 10 year old tropes, which DA2 and it's sequels will abandon. Like, say, letting you have more than 3-6 colored choices

That all taste the same.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular

I think the whole point was to create an awesome new setting for a game series.

Mission accomplished!

Baldur's Gate is old, and so fucking slow it's barely playable today. I tried recently, and goddamn am I glad that games are moving on.

Long live the dialogue wheel. Long live progress.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I think that's kind of the point. The only level headed mages are the ones like Wynn who embrace the Circle and the Chantry. Those who try to reject them inevitably go mad, either with power or driven there by demonic whispers that they can't deal with. It sucks a whole lot, but that kind of seems to be the point. The world of Dragon Age sucks for the people who live there.

That seems like more of a problem with DA2's "blood mage or bust" craziness than the world of Dragon Age. Excluding the protagonists, Morrigan wasn't insane or a blood mage, presumably most of the Dalish keepers are not, Bethany wasn't before being forced into the Circle, etc.

I'm sorry, but you don't think that Morrigan
    I want you to get me pregnant and then put the soul of an Archdemon into the fetus so that I can raise a God-Baby
    isn't crazy?

Or that Merrill
    I can handle this demon just fine and get the knowledge I need since I don't trust it but I am going to cut deals with it anyway
    isn't a little nuts?

Or that Hawke, "I can kill hundreds, maybe thousands, of people and walk around drenched in their blood while never feeling any kind of remorse" doesn't have a few screws loose? I submit to the jury that all Hawke(s), regardless of class, are kind of insane.

And, frankly, I'm sure that Bethany would have gone nuts by Chapter 3, except
    you either get her killed in the Deep Roads or she joins the Circle and, you know, actual finds its not that bad of a place. Grey Warden Bethany is screwed though. Like all Grey Wardens, she's now guaranteed to go nuts within 20 to 30 years thanks to the taint.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    I think that's kind of the point. The only level headed mages are the ones like Wynn who embrace the Circle and the Chantry. Those who try to reject them inevitably go mad, either with power or driven there by demonic whispers that they can't deal with. It sucks a whole lot, but that kind of seems to be the point. The world of Dragon Age sucks for the people who live there.

That seems like more of a problem with DA2's "blood mage or bust" craziness than the world of Dragon Age. Excluding the protagonists, Morrigan wasn't insane or a blood mage, presumably most of the Dalish keepers are not, Bethany wasn't before being forced into the Circle, etc.

I'm sorry, but you don't think that Morrigan
    I want you to get me pregnant and then put the soul of an Archdemon into the fetus so that I can raise a God-Baby
    isn't crazy?

I don't think Morrigan's insane at all. She's involved in a big, crazy plot perhaps, but she as a person seems to be relatively stable well aware of what she's doing, and not a possible demon-victim
    Or that Merrill
    I can handle this demon just fine and get the knowledge I need since I don't trust it but I am going to cut deals with it anyway
    isn't a little nuts?
    Merrill deals with the demon competently. Even taking a backup team to kill her should anything mess up. She's very straight up and realistic and responsible about the whole thing. We'll never know exactly how capable she was at that due to her incredibly dumb Keeper
    Or that Hawke, "I can kill hundreds, maybe thousands, of people and walk around drenched in their blood while never feeling any kind of remorse" doesn't have a few screws loose? I submit to the jury that all Hawke(s), regardless of class, are kind of insane.

Protagonists don't count, but I love that DA2's approach to it really is "just a dude who is incredibly good at killing things and isn't sure what else he should do besides that".
    And, frankly, I'm sure that Bethany would have gone nuts by Chapter 3, except
    you either get her killed in the Deep Roads or she joins the Circle and, you know, actual finds its not that bad of a place. Grey Warden Bethany is screwed though. Like all Grey Wardens, she's now guaranteed to go nuts within 20 to 30 years thanks to the taint.

She'd been doing alright for the first 20 (?) years of her life. I don't think she'd go nuts.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    No, all Grey Wardens start to go nuts after a while. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's not.

Blood magic is blood magic and it will always get the person in the end.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    That reminds me, Anders is an abomination and a Grey Warden, so he was double fucked from the get go.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I know about the Calling. I meant
    If she doesn't join the Wardens, and if she does, everything up to the Calling. It's not exactly fair because at that point her craziness would have nothing to do with her being a mage

• Options
    If she doesn't join the Wardens, and if she does, everything up to the Calling. It's not exactly fair because at that point her craziness would have nothing to do with her being a mage

If
    She's not with the grey wardens, she is dead or in the Circle, both of which help protect against crazy.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    I'm actually suprised that Bethany...
    Doesn't get turned into an abomination in the Circle. Typically, when an abomonation is in a Circle, it tries to corrupt as many mages as possible, as seen in Fereldan and the codex.

She just kinda disappears for an act and a half, then pops up and says, "Wassup? Just chillin."

Must be her Hawke protagnium blood.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2013

If
    She's not with the grey wardens, she is dead or in the Circle, both of which help protect against crazy.
    The point I take issue with is the idea that she'd go crazy if none of those things happened. I don't see anything to support that

PreciousBodilyFluids on
  • Options
    Well, Kirkwall's history would make any mage crazy sooner or later.

Just too easy for demons to get through.

Should burn the whole fucking city to the ground imo. Worse than a house on Native burial ground.

steam_sig.png

• Options

Should burn the whole fucking city to the ground imo. Worse than a house on Native burial ground.

It's a good thing mages there get the extra guidance and support they need then

Instead of, say, oppressing them more than elsewhere, breeding discontent and emotions that make it all the more easier for demons, and leaving mages wondering why not if the alternative is glorified slavery.

Oh wait.

• Options
    Demons affect normal humans, including Templars, in their dreams too.

So it's a compounding effect that eventually cascades into a disaster, which is what happened.

Thin Veil makes everyone more assholes, which makes them meaner, which makes everyone more assholes.

If anyone would have studied the city's history, they wouldn't have been stupid enough to rebuild the city and put a Circle in the middle of it.

Alternatively: The Veil can be repaired with some work, which they never did.

Of course, Kirkwall's thin Veil is the fault of blood mages without regulation, so...

steam_sig.png

• Options

Instead of, say, oppressing them more than elsewhere, breeding discontent and emotions that make it all the more easier for demons, and leaving mages wondering why not if the alternative is glorified slavery.

Oh wait.

Funny enough, they don't get extra oppressed in Kirkwall until Chapter 3,
    when Kirkwall is already overrun with Blood Mages, Merideth has been driven mad by the Idol, and the Chantry has special agents in the city to see if they need to call an Exalted March against it.
    Prior to then, Kirkwall is pretty much the same as other Circles, and the only oppression is by some templars who's ideas have already been shot down by Merideth and have gone rogue against her.

As for Bethany going crazy, its been shown time and time again that mages go nuts. Its kind of part of being a mage in Kirkwall. You can't say "Well, just because every significant mage we've seen in DA2 has gone crazy doesn't mean Bethany would go crazy."

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options

Oh wait.

when Kirkwall is already overrun with Blood Mages, Merideth has been driven mad by the Idol, and the Chantry has special agents in the city to see if they need to call an Exalted March against it.
    Prior to then, Kirkwall is pretty much the same as other Circles, and the only oppression is by some templars who's ideas have already been shot down by Merideth and have gone rogue against her.

As for Bethany going crazy, its been shown time and time again that mages go nuts. Its kind of part of being a mage in Kirkwall. You can't say "Well, just because every significant mage we've seen in DA2 has gone crazy doesn't mean Bethany would go crazy."

Already in the prologue it's mentioned how mages in Kirkwall are less free than elsewhere.

It's bad from the start. It just gets a whole lot worse.

I also don't support Merrill being crazy, nor Alain, nor the mage who just wanted to get laid.

Nor the poor girl who just wanted to escape, got threatened with serious abuse, and in her desperation turned to a demon.

• Options

Oh wait.

Already in the prologue it's mentioned how mages in Kirkwall are less free than elsewhere.

I also don't support Merrill being crazy, nor Alain, nor the mage who just wanted to get laid.

Nor the poor girl who just wanted to escape, got threatened with serious abuse, and in her desperation turned to a demon.

I could list out why I see all of them as crazy (not all evil, mind you, just nuts) but we'll just be going around in circles at that point, so how about we simply agree to disagree?

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options

Oh wait.

I could list out why I see all of them as crazy (not all evil, mind you, just nuts) but we'll just be going around in circles at that point, so how about we simply agree to disagree?

It's worth noting I don't think being dumb (or desperate) is the same as being crazy. I think that's where our differences may stem from.

But aye, let's drop it then

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    There is at least one blood mage in Kirkwall who wasn't coocoo-ass insane

He didn't learn his trade from demons, but the dude was still there

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

I want you to name me one instance of dialogue in Origins that let you pick from half a dozen replies. One. I dare you. I double dare you. And if you say "nested choices," you forfeit, since 2 had more than 6 in nested choices as well.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

I want you to name me one instance of dialogue in Origins that let you pick from half a dozen replies. One. I dare you. I double dare you. And if you say "nested choices," you forfeit, since 2 had more than 6 in nested choices as well.
    Redcliff, boom, done, one instance. You want screenshots, too?

• Options
    I would do just as well with a reminder of context? This isn't a pissing contest, it was more to prove a point.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I would do just as well with a reminder of context? This isn't a pissing contest, it was more to prove a point.
    See, now you're taxing my memory. I just specifically remember this one dialog tree in Redliff in the church having so many choices that I had to scroll down twice to see them all.

Something about helping the pathetic, wretched peasants that live there? Morrigan and Sten were all "focus on the task at hand" and Alistair was all "omg you should forget about saving Ferelden, quit being a fighter and become a baker, wash the feet of the sick and devote your life to charityyy!..."

• Options
    edited April 2013
    The point is more about the false equivalency that having tons and tons and tons of dialogue options was a "trope" of older games. It wasn't, especially not in Origins.

Origins had more dialogue in it that any other Bioware game, I think? By a huge margin. Was this because the protagonist was silent, or as an homage to old games? No, it was because the writers were working on the script for five freaking years and had way more time than any reasonable dev budget would allow. We will never see that much dialogue in a BioWare game again, and we still wouldn't even if they took out all the voices for every character in the game or reverted from the dialogue wheel.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Gotta disagree. The cost of having a voiced protagonist is manifold:

1) Every line of dialog becomes more expensive.
    2) It severely curtails character customization, because you are limited to one race and (if we're lucky) two genders.
    3) It kills roleplaying. No longer are you playing your character, but directing theirs.

Consider this: who did you play in DAO? I played a female city elf warrior. When the local noble abducted me and my friend on my wedding day, I stole a sword and waged a bloody campaign against his household guards in order to avoid being raped. My friend wasn't so lucky.

Who did you play in DA2? I played Hawke. I did the exact same thing everyone else did.

• Options
    That doesn't actually have anything to do with what I just said

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Who did you play in DA2? I played Hawke. I did the exact same thing everyone else did.

And in DA:O, I played as The Warden and stopped the Blight. Oh, you did that too? The Origin stories were a nice touch and all, but not really anything more than that.

Silent protagonists that are empty vessels don't really do it for me. Give me more Shepards and Hawkes who feel like real actual characters that I can control, please.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I think people have serious rose-tinted lenses about 3 dialogue choices with 2 usually effect-less flavor variations to make 5 choices.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Nerd Nostalgia is a powerful thing

• Options
    edited April 2013
    The thing is that, yes, voices are more expensive than lines of text, that's reflexive, but that doesn't mean that no voices = more text, because the majority of the time spent creating dialogue is spent writing it, not recording it. A voice actor could record months and months worth of writing in a matter of days, and while they add significantly to the budget they are not adding significantly to the necessary time invested in the creation of the dialogue.

Dialogue in games is a huge, terrifying beast, especially with branching conversation paths as large as those in Dragon Age games. Every line your character has is going to be replied to by someone else (usually), and many of your different choices will result in different responses - but not always, because that would just be too much to write. More choices in dialogue creates a greater amount of content density, yes, but the work that goes into creating it also increases at a pace or more because you have to plan out the trees, write responses for eahc character who might or might not be in the party regardless of whether or not anyone is ever going to use this asshole, include variations made based on past choices, and many other things. It's not like writing a novel where a character says something and that's what they say. It is way, way more complex from a structural standpoint.

Taking out voices altogether would not get us significantly bigger games as a consequence. Only hiring more writers or extending dev time would do that.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    And in DA:O, I played as The Warden and stopped the Blight. Oh, you did that too? The Origin stories were a nice touch and all, but not really anything more than that.
    All they did was allow you to customize your character? To put your own special spin on something and make it yours?

Wow, it's, like, you'd be able to roleplay in a roleplaying game.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Or that Merrill
    isn't a little nuts?
    Merrill deals with the demon competently. Even taking a backup team to kill her should anything mess up. She's very straight up and realistic and responsible about the whole thing. We'll never know exactly how capable she was at that due to her incredibly dumb Keeper
    Take Merrill into the Fade. Watch her get tempted by a Pride Demon. Watch her fail completely.

"Why sure, Merrill, please, go on making a deal with this other Pride Demon. Surely it won't end poorly."

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Elendil wrote: »
    Or that Merrill
    isn't a little nuts?
    Take Merrill into the Fade. Watch her get tempted by a Pride Demon. Watch her fail completely.

"Why sure, Merrill, please, go on making a deal with this other Pride Demon. Surely it won't end poorly."

Ehhh, that one doesn't really count, because
    Literally all of your companions except for Anders will be able to be tempted during that quest

EDIT: It bears mentioning that the fade is a very different place from Thedas, and that people who aren't the protagonist are often confused/disoriented/mentally weaker there

PreciousBodilyFluids on
  • Options
    Or that Merrill
    isn't a little nuts?

Literally all of your companions except for Anders will be able to be tempted during that quest
    While true, what is more dangerous?

A normal human possessed or a mage possessed.

Only one of those can bring down a nation.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Or that Merrill
    isn't a little nuts?

Which just suggests to me that perhaps no one should be trying to make deals with pride demons.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    All they did was allow you to customize your character? To put your own special spin on something and make it yours?

Wow, it's, like, you'd be able to roleplay in a roleplaying game.

I'm able to customize Shepard and Hawke too...

• Options
    Seriously.

Doesn't matter how careful you are. If you are making a deal with a fucking Pride demon, you're an idiot. How careful a person is doesn't even enter the equation.

It's plain idiocy.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Seriously.

Doesn't matter how careful you are. If you are making a deal with a fucking Pride demon, you're an idiot. How careful a person is doesn't even enter the equation.

It's plain idiocy.

Agreed, but as I said
    It bears mentioning that the fade is a very different place from Thedas, and that people who aren't the protagonist are often confused/disoriented/mentally weaker there

The fade is dangerous for many reasons. You can trust no one and possibly not even yourself to act clearly there. That was the point of that quest.

How easily someone is fooled in the fade isn't really representative for how they act in the real world.

Basically

What happens in the fade stays in the fade

PreciousBodilyFluids on