As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] now with single artists near you ($0.99/minute)

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    hell, my phone is worth more than my TV.

Which reminds me, I'm selling my TV and I need to take photos for the guy who might buy it. He's the same guy who failed to buy a computer from a friend of mine, because of an hilarious clash of haggling culture. I'm wondering how to handle this.

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    My computer is (was with degredation) the most expensive thing in my home. I really needed a new one, but I regret spending as much as I did since I rarely have the time to use it since becoming a dad. These days, I'll occasionally do a bit of art, touch up a couple of photos or convert some dvds to upload to my ipad, and that's about it.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Mustang wrote: »
    I really needed a new one, but I regret spending as much as I did since I rarely have the time to use it since becoming a dad.

This is exactly what happened to me. I suddenly needed a new one, and I went out and got a Macbook Pro, I haven't really done any design on it since my daughter was born. All my design work I do at the office, never at home.

Also, my daughter has slowly destroyed everything I own.

• Options
    Show of hands, how many people own a computer more expensive than anything else in their home? (excluding cars)

Depends on how you're defining "computer", whether that includes external parts or not. My Cintiq was more expensive than the actual computer part of my computer, that's most expensive thing I've got. The computer itself is #2, but is soon to be #3; I just ordered a nice fancy Aeron chair to replace this broken piece of shit Staples chair I've been meaning to get replaced for months (all my other furniture is cheap IKEA or equivalent.)

...I spend a lot of time at my desk.

The Blue Angels have been flying all over the city this weekend...those things are friggin' loud.

• Options
    Also, my daughter has slowly destroyed everything I own.

Pro-tip: DVD/Blu-ray box sets should always be kept on the top shelf.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I just ordered a nice fancy Aeron chair to replace this broken piece of shit Staples chair I've been meaning to get replaced for months

I've been thinking of buying one of them for years. Let me know if you think it was worth the money.

Mustang on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    The Blue Angels have been flying all over the city this weekend...those things are friggin' loud.

They were practicing for the Chicago Air and Water Show for about 2 days prior to the event + 2 days of actual performance which had them doing loops over my neighborhood.

Having coffee with my dad while fighter jets flew directly overhead was actually pretty neat.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    The one ridiculously expensive thing I bought but don't regret at all is this:

Aspirateur-balai-Dyson-DC35.jpg

I highly recommend this vacuum cleaner to anyone in a small home. It is the best. I've vacuumed around my sleeping daughter and it's so quiet it doesn't even wake her up.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    today a drunk man tried to take an old dude's groceries outside the store I work at
    the old man caught him a crack upside the head with his cane and then kicked him in the butt as he ran away
    I imagined this sort of scene only occurred in the 30s

Tam on
  • Options
    Mustang wrote: »
    I just ordered a nice fancy Aeron chair to replace this broken piece of shit Staples chair I've been meaning to get replaced for months

I've been thinking of buying one of them for years. Let me know if you think it was worth the money.

When I worked at EA I had one- definitely the best office chair I've had, so I'd say it's probably worth it as long as it lasts as long as their supposed to (replacing cheaper chairs every few years is probably the more expensive proposition.) Where I work most people have the newer/more expensive/theoretically better Embody chairs with a few Aerons lying around- and there's been an ongoing problem with people snagging other people's Aerons for themselves because they like them better.

If you're going to get one though, you really should go find a store that sells them instead of buying it sight unseen online or something; it's too expensive to just take a guess at what size/lumbar option you need. I'm about 5'10"-5'11", and I found the small to be really small and the large to be way too big (the lumbar pad wouldn't fit where I needed it). My brother (who is about 6'2" I think) found he needed a large because in the medium he sank too low in the seat so the supports were digging into the sides of his ass.

The only downside of going into an actual store is that, because they're so expensive, the stores that tend to sell them generally seem to cater to people in a much different tax bracket than myself. I had to go dig out some big boy clothes so I didn't feel like a yokel wandering in clad in my usual un-ironed shirt and paint-spattered jeans, and had to make it seem like I was the kind of person that would think, 'sure, $99 seems like a reasonable price for an object whose only purpose is to elevate your monitor by 1.5" inches.'

• Options
    I highly recommend this vacuum cleaner to anyone in a small home. It is the best. I've vacuumed around my sleeping daughter and it's so quiet it doesn't even wake her up.

What's the suction like? I bought my current vacuum because it has a really small footprint, which I needed, but the suction is pretty ordinary and it deals very badly with hair.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I bought this! It arrived Friday.
    http://www.amazon.com/Color-Light-Guide-Realist-Painter/dp/0740797719

I am excite! Also, I'm about to buy a vacuum too. Though I can't afford a lot right now, so I'm just going to get a handheld one. This one looks HELLA-INDUSTRIAL-LOL to me, but it looks like it's been well-reviewed, and it's relatively cheap, so woo!

• Options
    man there are so many art books I wanna get.
    Maybe for christmas I'll just splurge, call it a gift to myself.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    What's the suction like? I bought my current vacuum because it has a really small footprint, which I needed, but the suction is pretty ordinary and it deals very badly with hair.

It has great suction, and just as the ads claim, it doesn't really loose suction. It picks up long hairs with no problem, but they tend to get caught up in the little roller at the bottom so you'll find yourself cleaning it out every so often.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    My computer as it is right now is probably worth about $500. That's substantially more than anything else I own besides my car.

• Options
    Man, I've been focusing on the head for so long that I've become terribly rusty with figures. Or maybe I was always terrible and have only just noticed it now. Is there any good live pose sites that isn't pose maniacs? Nothing against pose maniacs, but all the poses, while possible, seem horribly unnatural.

• Options
    They are. Honestly, it seems like looking up photo reference is your best bet in that regard. Deviantart actually has a lot of good pose photos.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2012
    http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/ ?

EDIT: I wonder what IRL reactions I would get if I made myself a one-off Couch Guy shirt.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Aw man, bummer your Zombie book didn't pan out DMAC

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Going to see Matt&Kim tomorrow!!! Matt and Kiiiiiiiiiiiim Im so excited because I'm trendster douuuccchheeeee

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Who is Matt&Kim!?

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    two musicians who record and play music together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBtBZ7CsBGU

this isn't them
    but it's something I like and feel like sharing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbrhbmx2OxQ

Noam Pikelny (banjo) is some sort of magical genius

Tam on
  • Options
    More matt and kim (and more evidence of their TRENDSTERNESS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssq6y92IoEc&feature=results_video

I will come out of the concert looking like this probably
    tumblr_l68itxWwPx1qzzhzdo1_500.jpg

• Options
    Jesus Christ, my housemates are a bunch of 9/11 conspiracy nut jobs

Why do I have to deal with this in the middle of the afternoon? :evil:

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    But what if it's actually not afternoon? Maybe the government has sealed off your house and is projecting a fake, digital sky above you and your intelligent friends who are actually in her Majesty's service? Maybe you are the hero the world deserves, the hero that will uncove- ahh I don't have time for this. Homework.

• Options
    It was a colossal waste of time, and I basically got called out by my two housemates for not believing them, coming across as a 'baby' for calling out their BS and their double-teaming takedown antics.

The first one became a smug douchebag and walked up to his room, the other one stormed off and told me not to 'knock on her door' anymore. I'm still not sure what the hell happened just now.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't know. Totally not spy protocol, what the fuck.

• Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/ ?

EDIT: I wonder what IRL reactions I would get if I made myself a one-off Couch Guy shirt.

I couldn't resist...

39nzU.jpg

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, my housemates are a bunch of 9/11 conspiracy nut jobs

Why do I have to deal with this in the middle of the afternoon? :evil:

Yeah that is weird. Usually conspiracy theorists aren't at the top of their game until 3am

• Options
    miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Oi... I just got a call and apparently Sallie Mae is trying to fuck me over this month, so if anyone needs some cheaper $50-75 commissions, Hit me up. To bad I already bought those concert ticketssssss.

• Options
    I finally made an art thread you guysssss

• Options
    miaAusa wrote: »
    everyone has a 9/11 conspiracy :<

It was couch guy.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    There's some kind of "event" happening off in the distance...earlier today it was people singing and making music, and sounding happy......but now, for the past half-hour, there's been some guy screaming into the mic in Spanish, sounding at times extremely angry or extremely distraught. I can't understand him (and it's too far away to really make it out clearly), but it's really, really unnerving hearing what sounds like some guy suffering and/or in a pure rage, screaming into a microphone. D:

I think it might be some church around here...they had an event like this awhile back.......I wonder if somebody's like, being converted/exorcised on-stage, televangelist-style?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    A co-worker of mine is going to have a baby soon, and is considering not vaccinating the baby because he feels it might not be safe.

I might be out of the loop (since I don't have kids myself) but isn't vaccination a good thing? Or is there some vaccination conspiracy theories floating around?

Mynt on
  • Options
    He's probably talking about the MMR vaccine being linked to autism. People who believe that generally aren't very well-informed, I think.

I'm pretty sure that's also illegal, beyond being highly dangerous and ignorant.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    There is some evidence that it can cause problems in certain situations and of course the current affair type shows jump on this "Vaccinating your children can kill them! What the medical profession doesn't want you to know! More at 6." It's sensationalism to scare the shit of people to get more ratings.

The truth of the matter is that it's a 1 in 1000 instance where the child has a really negative reaction, and probably a some really fucking remote number of fatalities. It's common for them to spike a temperature, which can be controlled by baby paracetamol, and maybe 1 in 50 might need hospitilisation if that doesn't work. It's nothing too much to stress about though. It's pretty uncommon for parents not to have visited a hospital at some stage in the first 2 years of a childs life.

If the 1 in 1000 bothers you, think of the odds of them picking up one of the 20 different diseases they're being immunised for. It gets considerably worse.

EDIT: Plus you don't want your kid to be a petri dish of disease who is propagating the spread of measles, mumps, rubella, etc.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Mynt wrote: »
    A co-worker of mine is going to have a baby soon, and is considering not vaccinating the baby because he feels it might not be safe.

I might be out of the loop (since I don't have kids myself) but isn't vaccination a good thing? Or is there some vaccination conspiracy theories floating around?

The whole "vaccines are dangerous" thing likely sprouted from the Andrew Wakefield "MMR vaccines cause autism" claim that ND is talking about. A claim based on evidence that has never been reproduced, and some people suspect had financial motivations since Wakefield had patented his own MMR vaccine prior to releasing the paper (also the journal it appeared in, The Lancet, retracted it for being basically a flawed piece of shit). This has spiraled off into a whole slew of claims about vaccines, from population management to mercury poisoning to thought control, almost all of which are based around some concept of government oppression, medical profiteering, or the illuminati/lizard men.

So yeah, your co-worker is probably pretty ill-informed and is about to make a terrible mistake regarding their similarly stupid, awful loin-spawn because they prefer exploitative conspiracy theories from the asshole of the internet over sound medical advice from accountable professionals.

But maybe I'm reading too much into their retarded concerns.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Wakefield has now been officially sanctioned and may even have criminal charges being brought against him for his part in propagating the vaccine/autism nonsense.

And yes, their kid is either going to be very, VERY lucky and benefit from the herd immunity of the kids around them, like a tiny parasite, or (more likely) get ill from a preventable disease while bringing down the general health of the population. Not vaccinating is nothing short of stupid and irresponsible.

tynic on
  • Options
    Also, unless I'm mistaken, several diseases that were wiped out or on the verge of being wiped out have now had a resurgence as a result of people avoiding vaccination.

So... thanks for that, lunatics.

This discussion has been closed.