As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] now with single artists near you ($0.99/minute)

• Options
    SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    Sweet! What takes you to England? Science? I'm being poor and crunching to meet a deadline for a book I'm making.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    kind of, moving out into industry. Making humanoid robots for the rich and weird ... is sadly leaving little time for art, which sucks.

This is the cook/comic book you were working on before I assume?

• Options
    That's the one. All the pages are due in about two weeks. I don't think I've ever drank this much coffee in such a short period.

Wait, so what kind of robots are rich people buying?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/robot-reporter-roli-hits-the-red-carpet-for-film-premiere/2gsot3sl

^^ that's one of ours. But the next gen is going to be much, much better.
    Also I can't get my head around the sheer quantity of stuff you'd have to do to get a book out with the kind of complicated bespoke formatting you'd need. The mind boggles.

• Options
    That's crazy. I commend your work on ushering in the inevitable robot uprising.

The formatting isn't actually all that complicated for what I'm doing. It is definitely a lot of content though.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    The problem lies in I'm too apathetic to see any sort of medical professional about it, and the times I was super close to making an appointment the feeling had already passed and I figured I didn't need help any more.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Hey, Sonic!

Is your book an actual physical book or an e-book?

Edit:
    Blackberry is a brand name. You don't change the spelling of the brand name because that's your product's identity. However, how do you pluralize Blackberry?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Why the dick didn't I google it...
    Anyways, thanks @Sonic

• Options
    Toaster: Hey man. It's going to be both. Also, Blackberrys.

m3nace: no worries.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    man modding a nerf maverick takes like 5 minutes and those darts make noise when they hit
    and actually stick to things

got any links Tam???

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Man, those days when you wake up late, your pc blue screens when you try to check the weather, you forget a towel in the shower making you even /more/ late, and then you have to bitch about it somewhere online which makes you even more late.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    What Sonic means to say is that he is e-famous.

I see your stuff everywhere now, duder!

• Options
    Siegfried wrote: »
    The problem lies in I'm too apathetic to see any sort of medical professional about it, and the times I was super close to making an appointment the feeling had already passed and I figured I didn't need help any more.

Well, if you're feeling shitty over the same issues now, then clearly that wasn't the better of the 2 options.

You've determined what doesn't work, now try something that at least has a chance of working. Make an appointment about it now so you can't back yourself out of it later, and continue a pattern of feeling shitty about shit for...what reason? There's not really an upside to not doing anything about it.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    It's officially official. Abrams is directing episode 7. He's said that he hasn't committed to Disney's 2015 release schedule which is a good sign. He's not rushing it.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Do any of yous guys use photoshop macros? Or whatever they are called.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Actions?

Yeah, sometimes I do if I have a complex, repeatable thing that needs to be done a bunch of times

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    man modding a nerf maverick takes like 5 minutes and those darts make noise when they hit

got any links Tam???

• Options
    franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    we had so many Nerf guns at Christmas in Afghanistan. i think we ruined the elephant xmas party because it was about a 60% chance you would get a nerf gun...
    it turned out to be a blast...

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular

got any links Tam???

In college we had a small but dedicated NERF mod scene. I modified a Longshot to be able to fire darts 70', and with modified weighted-tip darts they could go up to 100'.

It would usually leave welts if fired at point blank range.

Very useful when trying to herd people out of my room.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    The most surreal experience of my life took place at 10AM today.

We had a snow and ice storm last night - I was running about two hours late to work because of how awful the roads where. I pulled up to a red light real slow and my car kept sliding - into traffic - and I came about six inches from being hit by a dump truck. The rest of the oncoming traffic managed to stop in time, and one guy got out of his car to help me reorient mine. And as soon as I got back on my way, what else came on the radio but this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMYSWiPm7E0

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/robot-reporter-roli-hits-the-red-carpet-for-film-premiere/2gsot3sl

^^ that's one of ours. But the next gen is going to be much, much better.
    Also I can't get my head around the sheer quantity of stuff you'd have to do to get a book out with the kind of complicated bespoke formatting you'd need. The mind boggles.

Oh god, someone please make its eyes less creepy

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    holy shit this is amazing, new disney animated short. 1080p is gorgeous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aTLySbGoMX0#!

Description of video
    "Introducing a groundbreaking technique that seamlessly merges computer-generated and hand-drawn animation techniques, first-time director John Kahrs takes the art of animation in a bold new direction with the Oscar®-animinated short, "Paperman." Using a minimalist black-and-white style, the short follows the story of a lonely young man in mid-century New York City, whose destiny takes an unexpected turn after a chance meeting with a beautiful woman on his morning commute. Convinced the girl of his dreams is gone forever, he gets a second chance when he spots her in a skyscraper window across the avenue from his office. With only his heart, imagination and a stack of papers to get her attention, his efforts are no match for what the fates have in store for him. Created by a small, innovative team working at Walt Disney Animation Studios, "Paperman" pushes the animation medium in an exciting new direction."

ninjai on
  • Options
    The most surreal experience of my life took place at 10AM today.

We had a snow and ice storm last night - I was running about two hours late to work because of how awful the roads where. I pulled up to a red light real slow and my car kept sliding - into traffic - and I came about six inches from being hit by a dump truck. The rest of the oncoming traffic managed to stop in time, and one guy got out of his car to help me reorient mine. And as soon as I got back on my way, what else came on the radio but this: Don't Fear the Reaper
    If you think that's creepy, check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXSFXPtcrlE

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    ninjai wrote: »
    holy shit this is amazing, new disney animated short. 1080p is gorgeous
    "

I saw this before Wreck-it Ralph! So awesome.

• Options
    Yeah I liked that too. The most successful 3d that looks 2d I've seen. I mean, honestly, the plot ain't exactly original, so I really like it mostly as a technical showcase.

• Options
    Fugitive wrote: »

got any links Tam???

In college we had a small but dedicated NERF mod scene. I modified a Longshot to be able to fire darts 70', and with modified weighted-tip darts they could go up to 100'.

It would usually leave welts if fired at point blank range.

Very useful when trying to herd people out of my room.

God I want to get into this now
    I don't even hav anyone to use them with
    I just want to make toy guns more dangerous

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    I think my favorite mod was when my friend took two of those airbladder-based, automatic Nerf guns and connected them to a back-mounted PVC tank that you could pump with a bicycle pump.

There were two competing assassin's groups at my university. One was at our dorm, the other was on the other side of campus. Sometimes we'd organize CTF games and deathmatches.

One of the side-effects of the rivalry was that there was an escalating arms race to make better and more efficient Nerf guns.

This lead to "Project Vulcan", a gangly untenable creation that was meant to be an unstoppable Iron Man-style superweapon. However, like most shock-and-awe superweapons, it wasn't kind of a bust. It needed a three man crew to operate: One to fire, one to restock the clips, and one to load the guns. It ended up being so unwieldy that in the only CTF game it was used in, it just sat parked outside our flag. While it was effective at repelling approximately everything forever, it hardly wreaked the Paul Verhoeven-style bloodbath behind enemy lines that we had originally hoped for.

• Options
    F87 wrote: »
    Do any of yous guys use photoshop macros? Or whatever they are called.

I do, when I need to do a simple but repetitive task in large batches. Mostly, when I need to lower the resolution of several hundred images. I don't trust it for complicated tasks.

• Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I use a simple action to start most of my sketches. I got tired of constantly forgetting and drawing on the background layer, so I set up an action (f2) to create a new image, then create a new normal layer. Quick and easy.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I won two tickets to go see The Planet Smashers on the 15th.

• Options
    Fugitive wrote: »
    I think my favorite mod was when my friend took two of those airbladder-based, automatic Nerf guns and connected them to a back-mounted PVC tank that you could pump with a bicycle pump.

There were two competing assassin's groups at my university. One was at our dorm, the other was on the other side of campus. Sometimes we'd organize CTF games and deathmatches.

One of the side-effects of the rivalry was that there was an escalating arms race to make better and more efficient Nerf guns.

This lead to "Project Vulcan", a gangly untenable creation that was meant to be an unstoppable Iron Man-style superweapon. However, like most shock-and-awe superweapons, it wasn't kind of a bust. It needed a three man crew to operate: One to fire, one to restock the clips, and one to load the guns. It ended up being so unwieldy that in the only CTF game it was used in, it just sat parked outside our flag. While it was effective at repelling approximately everything forever, it hardly wreaked the Paul Verhoeven-style bloodbath behind enemy lines that we had originally hoped for.

Jesus H Christ

• Options
    So it looks like I'll be working in a studio again! :D

Just landed a temp position at Turbine as a UI Artist. It's a bit different than the work I do normally, but I'm happy to have it :) It's also a good foot in the door for other opportunities. Woot!

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to need to learn a bit about digital art very soon, I haven't used photoshop since 2002 or something. for guidelines you would make your first layer then after you are done with them you can delete the layer and only they will be gone? and remember not to do it on your background

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm probably going to need to learn a bit about digital art very soon, I haven't used photoshop since 2002 or something. for guidelines you would make your first layer then after you are done with them you can delete the layer and only they will be gone? and remember not to do it on your background

In answer to the question I think you're asking: yes?

If it helps, think of layers as sheets of clear plastic that you're drawing on. You can stack them to make a whole picture (and have a solid piece of paper behind everything, like your background) and remove a single piece of the clear plastic (i.e. "delete a layer") and everything else will remain the same.

• Options
    If it helps, think of layers as sheets of clear plastic that you're drawing on. You can stack them to make a whole picture (and have a solid piece of paper behind everything, like your background) and remove a single piece of the clear plastic (i.e. "delete a layer") and everything else will remain the same.

I've heard this analogy before, but it is still the clearest explanation of how layers work.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Thanks Tam, def gonna do that. Also friggin rad story Fug, and YAY for JOBS ND!

So can I snip those plastic pieces AND put coins behind the springs?? Or is it one or the other?

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Ugh... Heading out to Kitchener and back today. Wish me luck.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Nothing invites sharks to a feeding frenzy quicker then asking for internet connection help on message boards. Good grief O_o

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Shaved with a straight razor for the first time today. I'm still alive so I guess its a partial victory.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    So i'm reading about how THQ went bankrupt with the Class 11 file, and I find it astounding how such a giant could die so damn quick.

Out of all the industries out there, it always seems like the video game ones die the quickest. It just takes one bad product to murder entire studios! I remember when this happened earlier to a few veterans here who used to work for one.

That's gotta be so frustrating to deal with.

This discussion has been closed.