As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
We're funding a new Acquisitions Incorporated series on Kickstarter right now! Check it out at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pennyarcade/acquisitions-incorporated-the-series-2

PAX AUS 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

1235

Posts

  • rithrith Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The Guidebook app still works :)

  • jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I see wildbohr has beaten me to it yet again, but I'm also going to be releasing a PAX Australia update to the PAX Digital Assistant for Windows Phone in the near future - before I fly out to Melbourne to attend it myself :)

    You can get the current version (with PAX East info) at http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e and then you'll receive the update when it comes out with Australian events/data.

    jacalata on

    Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
  • wildbohrwildbohr Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    jacalata - color me very jealous, I've always wanted to go to Australia :)

  • jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    I'm actually from Melbourne, transplanted to Seattle. No way I was going to miss this :)


    Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
  • secondhousesecondhouse ... Moon gone ... six - disaster ... Registered User new member
    So I've been looking around at parking for PAX and found that Showgrounds has a max of 2000 car spots.
    However, the amount opened up per event seems to vary.
    How many of the 2000 spots are going to be available on the day? I'd hope all of them, as the Showgrounds is apparently expecting an attendance of THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND O_o

  • KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Going by the maps posted in another thread, also subtract the car spots reserved for BYOCs (however many that is).

    The train to the showgrounds, however, disembarks right outside the queue pavilion. :)

  • secondhousesecondhouse ... Moon gone ... six - disaster ... Registered User new member
    Oh sure, but I need a boot to carry all that merch in!

    Hmm, so no-one knows for sure about the capacity?

  • FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Kaneski wrote: »
    Going by the maps posted in another thread, also subtract the car spots reserved for BYOCs (however many that is).
    [\quote]

    BYOC gets reserved car spots?? Source pls? :)

  • KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    The map here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35775710/PAX/2013%20aus/WORLD_MAP.jpg

    I'm lawyering it a little, but 'parking' instead of 'delivery/dropoff/pickup', as well as 'visitor parking' being far away from queue hall suggests reserved parking. All hail structural interpretations. :)

  • FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Ooer! Makes sense...hopefully we can get official confirmation of this..now to fit a winebago in a single car spot :P

  • wildbohrwildbohr Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    Pocket PAX v1.6 now available in the Windows Phone Store. It contains updated info about PAX Aus 2013, a brand new hub interface, twitter not loading fix and bug fixes. Also I know that the news feed isn't working in 1.6 but unfortunately it's because the RSS feed isn't working for aus.paxsite.com.

    You can download it from: bit.ly/pocketpax

    Enjoy!!

    dyaballiklzerzhul
  • KwaizyKwaizy PAX AUS Enforcer Manager CanberraRegistered User regular
    Awesome work Jac! I was going to ask you if you were going to be able to update it for Aus!

    Thanks ^_^

    Say it with flowers, Send a Triffid.
    Sanity is a slippery slope, and I'm wearing Teflon shoes.
  • poweezypoweezy Registered User new member
    anyone know if there will be ramune there? just curious.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    poweezy wrote: »
    anyone know if there will be ramune there? just curious.
    I'm not sure why there would be, unless it's a common thing there that I just don't know about.

  • apollo323apollo323 Registered User regular
    Out of interest, are there any plans for holding luggage somewhere on the Sunday? Otherwise, I need to leave PAX, go south to the city and then back past PAX again to get to the airport :/

    Also, 8PM flight means I'd have to leave early :~(

  • Prey0491Prey0491 Registered User new member
    Hey all, so I found out about PAX a little too late (ok, ALOT too late) and missed out on buying a ticket.
    Is there anything that would prevent me from buying a ticket from someone else? (Like providing ID of the original owner to prove we didn't steal the pass etc etc)
    I don't wanna buy a ticket from someone who can't go, fly over to Melbourne and find out that I can't get in the door! :)

    Thanks!

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    apollo323 wrote: »
    Out of interest, are there any plans for holding luggage somewhere on the Sunday? Otherwise, I need to leave PAX, go south to the city and then back past PAX again to get to the airport :/

    Also, 8PM flight means I'd have to leave early :~(
    I would think most hotels would provide a service for that, not sure if PAX will. Some PAXes in the past have had a coat/bag check service, but it has always been run by the convention center. You might want to check with the Showgrounds to see if they offer that type of service.
    Prey0491 wrote: »
    Hey all, so I found out about PAX a little too late (ok, ALOT too late) and missed out on buying a ticket.
    Is there anything that would prevent me from buying a ticket from someone else? (Like providing ID of the original owner to prove we didn't steal the pass etc etc)
    I don't wanna buy a ticket from someone who can't go, fly over to Melbourne and find out that I can't get in the door! :)

    Thanks!
    If you get a physical pass in hand, that should be all you need other than the ID checking that happens at the door (which is just age verification as far as I know). I haven't heard of badges being directly tied to IDs UNLESS the badge itself is being picked up at the show. If the badge is being picked up at the show, one must present the ID of the purchaser in order to pick it up.

  • JYCJYC Registered User new member
    edited July 2013
    If I have a three day pass for PAX, but I can't go on Friday, can i lend the pass to a friend and let them use it for the days I am not going?

    zerzhul on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    JYC wrote: »
    If I have a three day pass for PAX, but I can't go on Friday, can i lend the pass to a friend and let them use it for the days I am not going?
    Other people can use your pass on the days you are not going.

  • PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    BYOC Question:-
    Would APC Uninterruptible Power Supplies (1000 & 1400) for the PC/Monitors be acceptable if they fit within the desk space constraints? Being solid and stable I'll use them for a base for a monitor. They don't fit the description of a power board or network device, but better to ask now instead of getting bounced from the room on the day.

  • warkywarky Registered User new member
    Question - Any idea what is happening with Magic the Gathering in the table top area.
    sealed, draft, constructed ?

  • FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    warky wrote: »
    Question - Any idea what is happening with Magic the Gathering in the table top area.
    sealed, draft, constructed ?

    *shredded*

    I kid, I'm still bitter they released all my old original moxes and lotuses and devalued them ;)

  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    PDP11 wrote: »
    BYOC Question:-
    Would APC Uninterruptible Power Supplies (1000 & 1400) for the PC/Monitors be acceptable if they fit within the desk space constraints? Being solid and stable I'll use them for a base for a monitor. They don't fit the description of a power board or network device, but better to ask now instead of getting bounced from the room on the day.
    I've never been to a LAN over a few people that has allowed a UPS, and BYOC has always prohibited them as well. Not 100% on the policy in Melbourne, but barring any other rule, I'd guess no.

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
  • wildbohrwildbohr Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, I just wanted to drop a note I submitted another Pocket PAX update (1.6.1) a few moments ago, will be a few days before it finishes certification. It's got a fix for RSS not displaying and I also threw in a "nifty" little feature that you'll see if you open the schedule during the conference, it will now pivot to the current day and the nearest time slot.

    Hope you all have an awesome time @PAXAUS!

  • wildbohrwildbohr Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    Wow Pocket PAX 1.6.1 was just approved, if you don't see it in the Store yet it should be available in a few hours. http://bit.ly/pocketpax

    dyaballikl
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    This may be more of a general Melbourne showgrounds thing, but does anyone have a rough idea of how much time I should allow for queuing up to get into PAX itself? I noticed the showgrounds don't open their gates until 10am, but I'd like to get in to see Ron Gilbert talk at 10:30, so I imagine it will be worth queuing up earlier.

  • Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @exis The queue room opens at 8am.

    "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."
    exis
  • lenplenp Registered User new member
    I saw there are some console tournaments that i am into.

    How do you register to enter in these? Are they done online or at the event before it starts. Or can you enter first thing in the morning.

    More info on this would be great.

    Thanks

  • MachineInputMachineInput Registered User new member
    35 000 is the number that Melbourne show grounds has set out for PAX.

    Looks like there's going to be funs funs funs!

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    lenp wrote: »
    I saw there are some console tournaments that i am into.

    How do you register to enter in these? Are they done online or at the event before it starts. Or can you enter first thing in the morning.

    More info on this would be great.

    Thanks
    At the USA paxes, you enter first thing in the morning on the tourney date at the show for console tourneys. I have not heard otherwise yet for PAX Aus, so thus far I am assuming it is the same.

  • VerminVermin MelbourneRegistered User regular
    exis - I believe that queuing will start at 8 am daily.

    I will make a new thread tonight for "advice from a local Melbournian who attends showgrounds cons often" but a couple of things to note (apologies if these have already been said, I'm doing this on my phone at work so I didn't read the whole thread)

    Car parking will be extremely limited given the numbers. By about 11am on Supanova weekends, there is a large line up along Langs Rd as the parking becomes sold out. Advice to those driving: get in early! PAX is huge in comparison to Supanova so I am expecting a 9am capacity on the parking. I could be wrong, but I still say be safe.

    Speaking of being safe. Weather. Saturday especially has a top of 11° with hail, thunderstorms and showers predicted. If you're driving, keep in mind that the car parking is NOT undercover. You might want to weigh up the risk there, especially if you have a rental car. Hire cars are often not covered against overhead damage; worth checking that with your hire company. Also of course of you're cosplaying, make sure you have some coats or extra layers to put on when the weather inevitably turns. If not, layer up! Melbourne weather is notoriously changeable and most locals tackle this challenge by wearing lots of thin layers, so it is easy to strip down and re dress as necessary. I recommend gloves, beanies and scarves as well as a jumper(sweater, to foreiners) or hoody, long sleeve shirt, t-shirt, singlet. I also recommend leggings under jeans. Shoes are easy enough, just ensure they're non slip and waterproof.

    also, I saw a lot of comments recommending people pre-buy food from supermarkets to save money. Well, good news! There is a Coles (one of the two most common supermarket chains in Aus) right next door to the Showgrounds. it's on Epsom Road, about 2 minutes walk from gate 1 and the expo hall. Bread rolls and ham are a great filing lunch!

    Well, I am going to stop now. my phone hates me for typing this much!

    as predictable as melbourne weather
    Cyvros
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    Vermin wrote: »
    exis - I believe that queuing will start at 8 am daily.

    Correct!

    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

    http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

    www.reedpop.com
  • SapphiremayoSapphiremayo Registered User new member
    I believe there is a major pokemon tournament happening at PAX on Saturday? That's all the details I know of and I was wondering if you guys have any information about it, such as when/where it's all taking place. Or shall this all be known on the day?

  • CyferCyfer Registered User new member
    Is Wizards going to have a store to buy product at PAX Aus?

  • lorrybuglorrybug Registered User new member
    My mate is having trouble getting Australia Post to cough up his pass - he is currently driving between post offices in Sydney to find the one they sent it to, and our flight for Melbourne leaves in a couple hours. What can we do if he can't get it in time?

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cyfer wrote: »
    Is Wizards going to have a store to buy product at PAX Aus?
    If they're in the exhibition hall, they will probably be selling things. I'm not sure if they have a booth or not though, haven't looked at the map lately.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    lorrybug wrote: »
    My mate is having trouble getting Australia Post to cough up his pass - he is currently driving between post offices in Sydney to find the one they sent it to, and our flight for Melbourne leaves in a couple hours. What can we do if he can't get it in time?
    Tweet at http://twitter.com/paxaus and send an email to the info email in the OP.

  • CyferCyfer Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Cyfer wrote: »
    Is Wizards going to have a store to buy product at PAX Aus?
    If they're in the exhibition hall, they will probably be selling things. I'm not sure if they have a booth or not though, haven't looked at the map lately.

    Can't find them in the Exhibition Hall :(

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cyfer wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Cyfer wrote: »
    Is Wizards going to have a store to buy product at PAX Aus?
    If they're in the exhibition hall, they will probably be selling things. I'm not sure if they have a booth or not though, haven't looked at the map lately.

    Can't find them in the Exhibition Hall :(
    It's possible they'll have a booth in the tabletop area.

Sign In or Register to comment.