As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    so I had *thought* that [email protected] went to [email protected] but maybe it's worth sending an email to the latter just in case?

Also you should be able to retrieve your information by going to the showclix website and telling it to re-send your confirmation email.

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    superwoot wrote: »
    My friend was telling me that at a recent PAX, there was a room/area where you could go in and basically play Pathfinder for an hour with a pre-gen character. Anyone know about this, and if its scheduled for this year?
    @superwoot That should be in the Tabletop Freeplay area, if it is back. Try the lower level of the Conference Center (directly across [north] from the Convention Center).

Maps in this thread.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    superwoot
  • LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    My friend was telling me that at a recent PAX, there was a room/area where you could go in and basically play Pathfinder for an hour with a pre-gen character. Anyone know about this, and if its scheduled for this year?

Yep, it'll happen!

For Pathfinder specifically, you'll want to go to the Paizo rooms, which will be on the 2nd Floor of the WSCC.

In addition to Paizo, the Indie RPG Games of Demand room will have GMs-for-CheckOut (room 306 I believe) where you walk up and say "I'd like to play... Mouse Guard! No, no Burning Wheel, wait, no, Fiasco!" and they will provide you with someone to run the adventure and/or loan you the materials and books.

There will also be Shadowrun in the Catalyst Game Labs room (WSCC 2nd Floor), and of course, as dya indicated above, a whole host of D&D adventures (including D&D Next) in the Wizards of the Coast/RPGA area in the Lower Level of the WSCC Conference Center/Annex, across the street from the main part of the Convention Center.

Lackey on
    superwoot
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    There probably will be Pathfinder games like that. Talk to someone at Tabletop HQ on site and they can help you find them.

Edit: I see I'm much too slow. :)

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
    superwoot
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    What's the story with the tabletop stuff? I have literally never played a tabletop game in my life outside of family board games, is this a good place to start or is it pretty much just for the hardcore fans? Like is there a "newbie" table for some games where someone will teach you the ropes?

• cool.stucool.stu Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    What's the story with the tabletop stuff? I have literally never played a tabletop game in my life outside of family board games, is this a good place to start or is it pretty much just for the hardcore fans? Like is there a "newbie" table for some games where someone will teach you the ropes?

If you want to learn to play any boardgame, I can't think of a better place than PAX to do it.

There are tons of people (literally! TONS! Some of us are big boned) willing to teach your all about their favorite game. Some of the tournaments are even designed for new players.

dyaballikl
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular

Walk into the freeplay room at some point, people are starting games up in there all the time. I'm sure you could find someone who will teach you a game, or you can just watch and observe and learn on your own. Playing a game is the best way to learn, or at least it is imo.

• Travman93Travman93 Billings, MTRegistered User regular
    On the note of weapons, after reading the regulations, I still have a question. I have a hammer made of hollow plastic with fake blood on it. I still stop in and have them check it over, correct?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Yes

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    dyaballikl
  • JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    Anyone know if there any luggage racks or if there enough room in the standing areas to carry a couple of bags onboard on the Link to Westlake?

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Jindrax wrote: »
    Anyone know if there any luggage racks or if there enough room in the standing areas to carry a couple of bags onboard on the Link to Westlake?

Im assuming since it runs from the airport and back that luggage is expected

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular

The SoundTransit from SEATAC to Westlake will have more than enough room for you and your luggage. I've taken it many time, often with two or three pieces of luggage, and never had a problem. If it gets full, the worst will be that you just have to stow it in the handicap space, if it's not already occupied.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
    WuShock
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »

The SoundTransit from SEATAC to Westlake will have more than enough room for you and your luggage. I've taken it many time, often with two or three pieces of luggage, and never had a problem. If it gets full, the worst will be that you just have to stow it in the handicap space, if it's not already occupied.

Yea, just be mindful and try not to take up more space than you need. If you're reasonable, I've found the other riders on the link to be reasonable as well.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

Pax is litteraly the best play to get into tabletop games. People are starting games all the time in the free play area and are looking for new players.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    adias.angel
  • rathrath Registered User regular
    Looks like I am going to have to buy my badges locally once I get to Seattle. I know normally you would ask one of the enforcers out front or at the information booth to check and make sure the badge isn't counterfeit. Is there anywhere I can go to get this done on Thursday?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Info Booth will be open on Thursday and should be able to do verification.

rathjaberwockynmtdyaballikl
  • MaxSteeleMaxSteele Registered User regular
    Two questions:

1) With the line for the Keynote at the Paramount Theater on Friday being outside on the street, what time do people start showing up for it? It's probably not "allowed" to get into the line itself until 8am, but it seems nothing is stopping people from 'hanging out' around the line area before that.

2) Does anyone know the reason for changing the hours PAX closes each night to Midnight instead of 2am?

1) I've walked by the convention center after the TWDT ended and there were people lined up outside of there, so people will line up stupidly early.
    2) I don't think you'll get an official word on that, but I'd think it has to do with the additional day.

1)I've lined up by 8:15am at the paramount and have been among the first 60 or so in line every time. I don't see the point of getting in line much earlier just to say I was first.

2)the 4th day means that we get more hours of PAX overall, even with the midnight ends. It will probably help keep the staff/enforcers a bit more sane as well.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    dyaballikl
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    1)I've lined up by 8:15am at the paramount and have been among the first 60 or so in line every time. I don't see the point of getting in line much earlier just to say I was first.

2)the 4th day means that we get more hours of PAX overall, even with the midnight ends. It will probably help keep the staff/enforcers a bit more sane as well.
    But you only get more hours if you manage to go for multiple days. Many people weren't doing that before, and possibly fewer now. I'd guess many people only doing 1 day would wring as much out of it as possible, when the multis would opt for a little more sleep. So for them they lose out a little.

• cool.stucool.stu Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Not to mention that it's not really that many more hours. Cutting two off of each day results in a loss of 6 hours. Monday is open for for 9 hours (7 if you are only counting the expo hall).

As someone going all four days (and who is getting old, and NEEDs his sleep), I don't mind stretching it out over the extra day.

Edit: I realized I was making some mathy errors here. 40 hours of con vs 50 hours of con. I think it's time for me to get some more sleep

cool.stu on
    YoungFreydyaballikl
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    I've spoken with the all mighty PAX gods. (aka @Heels)

If your passes do not arrive by Monday THEN you can email [email protected]

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    MaxSteele wrote: »
    2) Does anyone know the reason for changing the hours PAX closes each night to Midnight instead of 2am?
    I do not know of an official statement on this, but I have opinions:

I see three big advantages to the show closing at midnight instead of 2am:
    1) PAX closes before the bars close. People who want to go out for a drink after the show can.
    2) PAX closes before the bars close. People who have been out drinking and "closed" a bar can not come back to PAX and be a nuisance.
    and the biggest advantage I see:
    3) Everyone might get a little more sleep. This is excellent for the Enforcers who will be less worn out on the later days of the show and it is also good for the attendees because they'll similarly be less worn out (assuming any of these groups do sleep a little more).

Now we have official word:

"Because few people used them"

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
    JenniLyneClix
  • VanusVanus Registered User regular
    "Because few people used them."

BYOCers would disagree with that.

edited August 2013
    Vanus wrote: »
    "Because few people used them."

BYOCers would disagree with that.

Same with console freeplay and tabletop, but we also have to acknowledge that the percentage of people who actually did BYOC, console, and tabletop all the way to 2am is probably less than the amount of staffing it takes from both PAX/enforcers and the WSCC to keep it open that late.

wunderbar on
    zerzhulVapokMoe Fwacky
  • VanusVanus Registered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, I get cutting show hours. It makes sense, it keeps all the enforcers sane, everyone gets more sleep. We netted 10 more hours of PAX with the extra day, woo.

• InsanekittenInsanekitten Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I have a question about Will Call tickets...

I have a friend who purchased Will Call tickets (we're Canadian btw) and she apparently used her mom's Visa card to order these tickets, and now she's being told that the person who registered the tickets must show up to pick up these tickets, but she didn't realize this when she purchased them and had put her mom's name down since that was the name on the card (I'm unsure if the name HAD to match the credit card?).

It is out of the question for her mom to come and pick up these tickets, so what can she do in this situation? Can she transfer over the Will Call to someone else, or even herself somehow?

I'm asking because I'm not sure how Will Call tickets work or what the order process was like, as my hubby purchased our tickets and had them shipped to us so we're sitting pretty with badges on hand.

Insanekitten on
    E-mail [email protected] right now.

• InsanekittenInsanekitten Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    E-mail [email protected] right now.

Yeah she's already done that of course, apparently shes waiting on an answer. I just thought to come here in case someone else had encountered that issue and get a quick rough answer at least.

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    I have a question about Will Call tickets...

I have a friend who purchased Will Call tickets (we're Canadian btw) and she apparently used her mom's Visa card to order these tickets, and now she's being told that the person who registered the tickets must show up to pick up these tickets, but she didn't realize this when she purchased them and had put her mom's name down since that was the name on the card (I'm unsure if the name HAD to match the credit card?).

It is out of the question for her mom to come and pick up these tickets, so what can she do in this situation? Can she transfer over the Will Call to someone else, or even herself somehow?

I'm asking because I'm not sure how Will Call tickets work or what the order process was like, as my hubby purchased our tickets and had them shipped to us so we're sitting pretty with badges on hand.

I'm not an authority figure on this, nor answering this in any official capacity.

I would say as long as you print out the email confirmation, and there's an email from your mom saying that YOU are picking up the tickets... and there's documentation denoting the sale printed out and brought with you to Will-Call. I would hedge bets that you'll probably be fine.

However, if pax_questions comes back with a different procedure, then whatever they say is official. I'm just, in the present, providing guidance based on things I've seen in the past, which does not dictate what will happen in the future.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • iLarkieiLarkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    It says that the queue hall wont be opened until 8 am. will there be a line formed outside like the first day of PAX 2012?

-edit: so excited i cant spell / grammar correctly

iLarkie on
    iLarkie wrote: »
    It says that the queue hall wont be opened until 8 am. will there be a line formed outside like the first day of PAX 2012?

-edit: so excited i cant spell / grammar correctly

I hope people won't be lining up for last year's PAX, because you need a PAX 2013 badge in order to get in this year. :P

Yes, people will be lining up outside in the morning. Do you absolutely need to? Hell no.

• DusldorfDusldorf Registered User new member
    edited August 2013
    Does anyone know the rules for the Warhammer 40K tourneys? I found the info on the schedule about how many points they are, but would like to know the following:

1. Is there a painting requirement? For example, the armies of my friend and I are partially, but not yet fully, painted. Will we be allowed to play?
    2. What scenarios will be played?
    3. What are the rules for allies in the teams tournament? For example, can an army team with another army whose entry in the main rulebook's allies matrix indicates "Come the Apocalypse"?.
    4. How many rounds will there be?
    5. How long will each round be?
    6. How many copies of our army list should we bring?

Thanks!

Dusldorf on
  • miraclemiracle Registered User new member
    Does anyone know if Wizkids will have heroclix at the convention? I'm looking for limited edition pieces and convention exclusives for PAX prime. Have they done anything with PAX in the past?

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    miracle wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Wizkids will have heroclix at the convention? I'm looking for limited edition pieces and convention exclusives for PAX prime. Have they done anything with PAX in the past?

Wizkids/NECA has never supported heroclix at PAX.

Clix on
  • ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Does the swag bag given out in the Queu Room have the same contents every day?

• JimmyNovakJimmyNovak Registered User new member
    So I wanted to go to PAX this year and kept waiting for tickets to be available, and then I went out to eat and wham, tickets were sold out. So I did the first thing that came to mind, this being my first convention - I went to eBay. Now I ended up with two sets of 1 day passes (thought I got scammed first time, bought second set, first came in today) and I've been told by some people on Reddit there's supposed to be space invaders on them under a UV light. I shined the blacklight I have on them and I didn't see them. Can anyone upload what I'm supposed to see if it's really there?

ddt58 wrote: »
    Does the swag bag given out in the Queu Room have the same contents every day?
    Yes

JimmyNovak wrote: »
    So I wanted to go to PAX this year and kept waiting for tickets to be available, and then I went out to eat and wham, tickets were sold out. So I did the first thing that came to mind, this being my first convention - I went to eBay. Now I ended up with two sets of 1 day passes (thought I got scammed first time, bought second set, first came in today) and I've been told by some people on Reddit there's supposed to be space invaders on them under a UV light. I shined the blacklight I have on them and I didn't see them. Can anyone upload what I'm supposed to see if it's really there?
    The only official method of checking is to have an Enforcer check the badge at PAX itself. Anything anyone other than an official source tells you is not necessarily reliable.

This discussion has been closed.