Options

PAX PRIME 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    LieutLawwLieutLaww Registered User new member
    Quick question about booking etc, as I live in the UK and fancy coming over for Prime this year, can I book everything from this site, ie hotel ,tickts ,flights etc or will i have to do some of it on other sites as in airline website for the flight ?

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Like 95% sure you could book everything on here.

You have to buy your ticket here and you'll only be able to get the PAX rate for hotels through on peak. Can't speak for flights as I always go through the actual airlines

• Options
    Does anyone know of a good "badge wallet" manufacturer? I almost lost my badge a couple times last year due to the clip falling out of the little loop on the lanyard. So this year I'm trying to find one of those pouch type holders

• Options
    MissFishMissFish Registered User regular
    Hi everybody!

This year my friend and I plan to go to our first PAX. Now I'm 16 and she'll be 17, so is there anything we need to take notice of? We're local so hotels and transportation aren't a problem. Mainly I want to know if there's anything besides rated M demos we won't be able to get into. Would we be able to get into panels based on rated M games (Mainly concerned about any BioWare panels that may be going on).

Thanks in advance!

• Options
    edited March 2013
    MissFish wrote: »
    Hi everybody!

This year my friend and I plan to go to our first PAX. Now I'm 16 and she'll be 17, so is there anything we need to take notice of? We're local so hotels and transportation aren't a problem. Mainly I want to know if there's anything besides rated M demos we won't be able to get into. Would we be able to get into panels based on rated M games (Mainly concerned about any BioWare panels that may be going on).

Thanks in advance!

Knew it was in the FAQ on page one so here's the official PA answer
    'I'm under 18. Will I be able to get into a panel for/play the demo of <insert M-Rated game here>?

It is convention wide policy to follow the ESRB ratings, even if your parents are present. Be aware that some exhibitors may ask you for your ID.
    It should also be noted that there is no way for a minor's guardian to allow the minor to play/view M-Rated content without the guardian physically present for the content; there is no "permission form" or similar thing available. Also, some exhibitors might still not allow minors to view their M-Rated content with the guardian present.

So you may/will probably run into issues if you ladies wanna go to say the AC4 panel or play it if they have a demo. Aside from M rated panels and demos you ladies would also have to skip 99% of it not every party that happens during PAX. the vast majority of parties have a 21 and up requirement with a FEW having an 18 and up. I honestly cant remember of any party that didn't have at least an 18 and up. It may be different this year , but i wouldn't count on it. So if you ladies did come to PAX this year you'd be pretty much limited to the expo hall and panels that aren't M rated.

sanovah on
  • Options
    MissFishMissFish Registered User regular
    Okay, thanks!

I saw that in the FAQ and I was more curious on how that worked for anyone who's attended as an under 18. We're not terribly concerned about the parties, we'd probably stick to the expo hall even if we were both 21.

• Options
    Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    Are the days of Aug 31st to Sept 2nd set in stone yet or is that just a template (I know it takes place that weekend but I thought last year it was friday saturday sunday) as I'd have to book vacation time off for the dates soon (need to know if I'd book the weds / thurs or the tues / weds of the following week etc)

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, you'll notice that PAXSite says "2012". In the first post of this thread it says:
    When: August 30-September 2, 2013 (it's 4 days this year)

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    VianethVianeth Registered User regular
    Watch the website closely, last year they sold out all tickets in two hours.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good "badge wallet" manufacturer? I almost lost my badge a couple times last year due to the clip falling out of the little loop on the lanyard. So this year I'm trying to find one of those pouch type holders
    Don't use the clip, loop the lanyard through itself like so:
    2urxa1v.jpg

You won't have to worry about your badge at all.

0hy0sznvqw4d.png
  • Options
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    sanovah wrote: »
    Don't use the clip, loop the lanyard through itself like so:
    2urxa1v.jpg

You won't have to worry about your badge at all.

Thank you so much for that. Never would have thought of that myself. I ended up finding one I think/hope will work for my badge and cards I wanna do this year, but if it doesn't fit I'll definitely do that. So thanks again.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Vianeth wrote: »
    Watch the website closely, last year they sold out all tickets in two hours.

They sold out of 3 day passes in like 12 hours combined. They had singles for a day or two after.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    LieutLaww wrote: »
    Quick question about booking etc, as I live in the UK and fancy coming over for Prime this year, can I book everything from this site, ie hotel ,tickts ,flights etc or will i have to do some of it on other sites as in airline website for the flight ?

IIRC, you'll have to book flights through other channels. You can get lodging through the PAX site, though (or rather, through OnPeak, the housing bureau PAX partners with); the link will show up on the PAX site around the same time badges go on sale.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    realisticradicalrealisticradical Durham, NCRegistered User regular
    I wonder what they'll do with 3-day passes now that the con is 4 days. I almost feel like 4 days is a bit much and I'd rather just get a 3-day pass.

• Options
    I wonder what they'll do with 3-day passes now that the con is 4 days. I almost feel like 4 days is a bit much and I'd rather just get a 3-day pass.

Blasphemy there can never be to much pax! 5 days might not even be enough days

Hopefully they'll axe the 3day, add a 4day, and equalize prices this year so that a 4 day equals what 4 1days would. That way hopefully people will only buy passes for when they want to/can go. And aren't buying a 4day when they only wanna go 2 or aren't being forced to pay extra because a 4day was cheaper and sold out

• Options
    realisticradicalrealisticradical Durham, NCRegistered User regular
    I can imagine a 5-day PAX. On the 5th day everyone that's been there the whole time would be doing perfect cosplay zombies.

• Options
    ill_monstro_gill_monstro_g allMIA Editor New YorkRegistered User regular
    I am super interested in this 4th day. I think I've always felt PAX was just a day short. By Sunday you feel like you're living in the con... just in time for it to end on a short day.

I wonder tho... will the hall close at 2am on Sunday now that theres an extra day? Or will Sunday and Monday both be short days?

allMIA - a Summoner's guide to League of Legends
  • Options
    ill_monstro_gill_monstro_g allMIA Editor New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    What do we know about concerts with the new 4th day? 3 nights of music 1 day of Omegathon final round? Or will it be like something different on one of those days? Maybe with the extra day Anamanaguchi will make a triumphant return to the PAX stage? Wishful thinking.

Edit - sorry for double posting. Hard to keep track of threads on my tablet.

ill_monstro_g on
    allMIA - a Summoner's guide to League of Legends
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sadly we do not know the answer to any of those questions at this time.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    So I hope no one takes this the wrong way (I know this is a touche subject for some) but I was wondering if LoL will be back again this year for their regional(?) tournament?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    So I hope no one takes this the wrong way (I know this is a touche subject for some) but I was wondering if LoL will be back again this year for their regional(?) tournament?

Let's hope not. Not that I have anything against LoL, but after seeing what happened last year, I really think it's better for everyone involved if the two events are separate.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options

They changed how they handle their season and haven't made any announcements yet. And ir was pretty much agreed on that it was a total cluster #$@!*. So hopefully between no announcement and how bad it was last year means no LoL at this years prime. But yeah unless PA signed a contract I'd say it's unlikely

• Options
    NgocDTNgocDT Registered User regular
    I am super interested in this 4th day. I think I've always felt PAX was just a day short. By Sunday you feel like you're living in the con... just in time for it to end on a short day.

I wonder tho... will the hall close at 2am on Sunday now that theres an extra day? Or will Sunday and Monday both be short days?

I agree. I'm also interested in this 4th day. The first (and only) time I went to PAX was in 2010, and I felt there was so much to see. And when it was over I had some sighs over things I didn't have time to try. I also was stuck doing homework online in my hotel room for 2 of the nights so I missed out on a few fun night activities (concerts, playing board games in the hotel lobby, parties, etc). Hopefully I'll get to make it this year sans homework! Oh. I also felt like there was so much to buy. Don't forget to save some money to buy something interesting to take home... like a new board game you tried out to share with your friends back home.

Prime 2013 Status:
    color=blue]✓[/color Hotel, color=blue]✓[/color Plane Tickets, color=blue]✓[/color Time Off Approved, color=blue]✓[/color Waiting impatiently,
    color=green]✓[/color 4-Day Passes Bought, color=Blue]✓[/color 4-Day Passes Received,
    color=green]✓[/color Buttons Ordered, color=Blue]✓[/color Buttons Received,
    color=green]✓[/color Bonus Buttons Ordered, color=Blue]✓[/color Bonus Buttons Received,
    color=green]✓[/color Forumer Pint Glasses Ordered, color=Blue]✓[/color Forumer Pint Glasses Received

Attendee : Prime 2011, 2013
  • Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I really want to book my flight and hotel/condo, but I'm really hesitant because I want to make sure that I have badges secured first.

• Options
    Imsorad wrote: »
    I really want to book my flight and hotel/condo, but I'm really hesitant because I want to make sure that I have badges secured first.
    Hotel's easy; just read your cancellation policy. Most hotels will allow cancellations with no penalty until 4PM the day before arrival on most rates. Just don't go through Priceline/Hotwire/Orbitz/etc. and if you see the word "prepaid", don't book it.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Is there any word on the existence of BYOC for Prime yet? My understanding was that Big Red was stepping down from running it, and the Prime_BYOC twitter account was shut down/folded into Official_PAX.

BYOC is happening for sure. Red did step down but others are already getting lined up to fill those shoes. I'm on the PC room network team and we've already started planning.

46Eamp0.png
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    What types of passes will be available?
    There will be 4 day passes and 1 day passes.

Updated! No more need for speculation! :D

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    NotAKoreanNotAKorean Registered User new member
    I'm planning on buying a pre-paid credit card to register for Pax, but I'm curious as to what carriers they accept? A reply would be nice c:

• Options
    NotAKorean wrote: »
    I'm planning on buying a pre-paid credit card to register for Pax, but I'm curious as to what carriers they accept? A reply would be nice c:

I believe I have used both Visa and MasterCard in the past. Not sure what others they would accept.

• Options
    LinkavichLinkavich Gary Motha-Fuckin Oak Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I know it's been asked but for extra precaution I'd like to ask again. Are the dates set in stone? I'd like to buy my plane ticket sooner rather than later.

Linkavich on
    I'm a turtle wrangler. I wrangle turtles.
  • Options
    Dates are set it stone

• Options
    Indeed, Aug 30-Sept 2 is as in stone as they could get.

• Options
    LinkavichLinkavich Gary Motha-Fuckin Oak Registered User regular
    Alright, Thanks. This will be my third PAX and I'm bringing two friends that have never even heard of it.

I'm a turtle wrangler. I wrangle turtles.
  • Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    If more Enforcers are needed, will the applications (and hirings) be put up before or after tickets go on sale? I don't want to buy a ticket if I'm going to be an Enforcer, and then have to scalp my ticket. And, I don't want to not buy a ticket if I'm not going to be an enforcer. What would be the best way to proceed?

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If more Enforcers are needed, will the applications (and hirings) be put up before or after tickets go on sale? I don't want to buy a ticket if I'm going to be an Enforcer, and then have to scalp my ticket. And, I don't want to not buy a ticket if I'm not going to be an enforcer. What would be the best way to proceed?
    After. The policy has been that if a person who already purchased a ticket is selected to be an Enforcer, they will refund your ticket.

The best way to proceed is to make sure you get a pass, then get a refund from PAX if you become an E.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    After. The policy has been that if a person who already purchased a ticket is selected to be an Enforcer, they will refund your ticket.

The best way to proceed is to make sure you get a pass, then get a refund from PAX if you become an E.

Cool. Thanks.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    DKBennettDKBennett Registered User new member
    What is the set limit of passes a person may purchase?

• Options
    DKBennett wrote: »
    What is the set limit of passes a person may purchase?
    Unknown. Last year it was 5 for 3-day badges.

• Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    I'm currently looking for a list of hotels that will allow for reservations if you're 18 but NOT 21. I ran into problems with the Westin last year for being younger than the legal drinking age because they had alcohol in the mini-fridge or something.

If someone can provide information on any hotels that allow customers over the age of 18 but under the age of 21, I'd be very grateful.

• Options
    JdeFalconrJdeFalconr Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Lazorz wrote: »
    I'm currently looking for a list of hotels that will allow for reservations if you're 18 but NOT 21. I ran into problems with the Westin last year for being younger than the legal drinking age because they had alcohol in the mini-fridge or something.

If someone can provide information on any hotels that allow customers over the age of 18 but under the age of 21, I'd be very grateful.

Not sure about hotels but a hostel could be a good bet. If anything they're usually cheaper and can still be great quality. If anything you get to meet some really cool people that way. Google will undoubtedly turn up some good bets.

Also if you call a prospective hotel in advance I'm sure they would inform you on their < 21policy

JdeFalconr on
This discussion has been closed.