Options

PAX PRIME 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    so i heard prime is expanding to 4 days, any word on passes and pricing yet?

disabledgamerj2 on
  • Options
    disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I wonder what they'll do with 3-day passes now that the con is 4 days. I almost feel like 4 days is a bit much and I'd rather just get a 3-day pass.
    agreed

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Robert Khoo announced that there will be two types of passes on sale: a 4-day pass and the 1-day passes, nothing else.

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Lazorz wrote: »
    I'm currently looking for a list of hotels that will allow for reservations if you're 18 but NOT 21. I ran into problems with the Westin last year for being younger than the legal drinking age because they had alcohol in the mini-fridge or something.

If someone can provide information on any hotels that allow customers over the age of 18 but under the age of 21, I'd be very grateful.

Most if not all of the hotels should let you reserve and check in as long as you're 18. I know I stayed at the Westin last year and had no problem and I was 20 at the time. Although I've been able to pass for 21 since I was 16 if I wanted to. So they might have thought I was over without. But he did check my ID for the check in so idk why we had different experiences

The only thing I can think of that have you a problem was an inexperienced front desk, you look really young, or you told them you're under 21. If the liquor in the mini bar was such a problem they should have removed and not refilled it. But yeah you shouldn't have a problem with most of the convention hotels, but if you're really worried just call ahead.

sanovah on
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    sanovah wrote: »
    I'm currently looking for a list of hotels that will allow for reservations if you're 18 but NOT 21. I ran into problems with the Westin last year for being younger than the legal drinking age because they had alcohol in the mini-fridge or something.

If someone can provide information on any hotels that allow customers over the age of 18 but under the age of 21, I'd be very grateful.

Most if not all of the hotels should let you reserve and check in as long as you're 18. I know I stayed at the Westin last year and had no problem and I was 20 at the time. Although I've been able to pass for 21 since I was 16 if I wanted to. So they might have thought I was over without. But he did check my ID for the check in so idk why we had different experiences

The only thing I can think of that have you a problem was an inexperienced front desk, you look really young, or you told them you're under 21. If the liquor in the mini bar was such a problem they should have removed and not refilled it. But yeah you shouldn't have a problem with most of the convention hotels, but if you're really worried just call ahead.

I'd like to mention that, for the chain I work for at least, the policy North America is that the primary guest must be 21 or over. I think there's some liability issues involved there, but I don't know the details. I'm not surprised that you got in if you look older, though.

@Lazorz, definitely call around to the hotels and see if you can find an exception, but if you can't, you might want to see if you can share a room with someone who is 21. A hostel could be another option.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    sanovah wrote: »

I'd like to mention that, for the chain I work for at least, the policy North America is that the primary guest must be 21 or over. I think there's some liability issues involved there, but I don't know the details. I'm not surprised that you got in if you look older, though.

@Lazorz, definitely call around to the hotels and see if you can find an exception, but if you can't, you might want to see if you can share a room with someone who is 21. A hostel could be another option.

I've stayed at multiple chains at multiple cons before with myself as the person on the reservation and have never had trouble. The most that's ever happened was they emptied the mini bar, and the only chain I've heard of that has and actively enforces a 21 required policy is travel lodge and even then it's not enforced at every hotel.

But since this is completely anecdotal and my experiences could be based on my looks, the agents I get not caring, or them just emptying it the next advice to give is this.

Go to the early hotel thread and look through it to I think page 2 or 3 both I and adias posted a list of previous hotels and then call them and allask about their age requirements. I don't think the Roosevelt even has a mini bar so that may be your best bet.

• Options
    Mew351Mew351 Bellevue, WARegistered User new member
    How much will the 4-day pass be...?
    I have $210 on PayPal getting some more money soon. Can we purchase the tickets via PP?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    No clue on price, but people in this thread have said that Paypal hasn't been an option in years past.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    Mew351 wrote: »
    How much will the 4-day pass be...?

I'm assuming 4-days would be somewhere around $100 a piece, but that's just speculation. There hasn't been any official word on it yet.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Moved it to the right thread. Answer is no one knows atm

sanovah on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Hey guys, can we keep pass speculation it's appropriate thread? Lets try to keep this to Q&A.

Thanks! :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular

Go with Springhill Suites by Marriott. Pretty sure they only have an 18-year old minimum, as they don't stock mini-bars.

• Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    For everyone asking about the 3-day pass deals as well as a potential pass deal for 4 days -- of course, I don't run PAX, so I am not certain. But, if it's anything like other conventions I've been to that have 4-days (NYCC, for example), then they might have a special 3 day pass, as well as a special 4 day pass. As well as single-day passes. Again, perhaps PAX Prime will do it different, but I hooope it's the same. It was a great deal. :)

The ideal hotel that allows 18+ to check in, is the Sheraton hotel. It's one of the 2 hotels within 2 blocks from the con, and from what I've heard, one of the most fun hotels to stay at. : D

embraceternity on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    @embraceternity there is no speculation about 3-day passes or 2-day passes any longer. It has been confirmed that there will be 4-day passes and 1-day passes. It was even updated in the FAQ.

• Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    @embraceternity there is no speculation about 3-day passes or 2-day passes any longer. It has been confirmed that there will be 4-day passes and 1-day passes. It was even updated in the FAQ.
    Oh! Alright, thank you for that update. : D For some reason I hadn't seen it.

• Options
    PerestroikaPerestroika Registered User regular
    I was wondering if anyone has taken a DSLR to the convention. I've been twice before but just taken pictures with my point and shoot, but I'm a little nervous about bringing my nice camera around such a big crowd. I mean, the only real way to keep it safe is in your bag, but then you miss an opportunity for pictures.

Thoughts? Anyone?

It's just me, a block of dirt, and a cavern full of danger.
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '12, '13, '14
    Prime 2015 Cosplay: Hilda, Female Sunset City Hero, Squirtle Squad url="http://www.facebook.com/steleus"]X[/url
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    I was wondering if anyone has taken a DSLR to the convention. I've been twice before but just taken pictures with my point and shoot, but I'm a little nervous about bringing my nice camera around such a big crowd. I mean, the only real way to keep it safe is in your bag, but then you miss an opportunity for pictures.

Thoughts? Anyone?
    Tons of people bring their DSLRs (I don't own one, but I see a ton of people on the expo floor with them each PAX)! Just check out some of the prior pic/vid threads from both Prime and East. A lot of the camera shot information in the picture galleries on FB/Flickr/etc is of DSLRs.

• Options
    purple llamapurple llama Registered User regular
    If I was going to bring a fancy camera, I'd bring after the first day, so I had a chance to scope out what I might want to get pictures of. And I wouldn't bring it every day, because spending the whole time worrying about the fragile expensive stuff you brought with you is not a lot of fun. (Also it probably gets heavy and every little bit helps by the last day.)

However, people at the convention are generally awesome, stay out of the way (as much as reasonable) while you're taking a shot and avoid bumping into your stuff.

• Options
    H2OCakeisalieH2OCakeisalie Enforcer Registered User regular
    so dose penny arcade completely rent out grand hyatt? because I tried to get a room through work and they said it was unavailable

• Options
    ShocknaShockna Registered User regular
    so dose penny arcade completely rent out grand hyatt? because I tried to get a room through work and they said it was unavailable

Yeah. Once passes go on sale, OnPeak will open reservations for hotels (including the Hyatt) shortly afterward, possibly the same day.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

Thoughts? Anyone?

I did for East but it became such a pain to haul around with a large lens. I am probably going to try again for Prime but just stick with a couple prime lenses to keep it light. Everything is so close together that you never really use more than a 85 anyway.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

Thoughts? Anyone?

I've brought a DSLR to every PAX I've been to (D90 for 3 shows and D800 for 2 now), and it's really not a big deal as long as you don't mind it getting bumped around in crowds. I usually just leave it tossed over my shoulder when I'm not shooting, and with the neck strap wrapped around my wrist when I am. I label the body and lenses with tape with my handle on them in case the camera winds up at infobooth, and then wander around seeing what there is to see. Also, lens hoods are really useful for this, as they'll protect the front element as you walk through crowds.

I'd really only bring 1 or 2 extra lenses though, depending on your kit. Don't need a ton of tele imo (but ultrawides are fun!). Also the expo hall @ prime is daaaark, so if you have any fast primes, mores the better.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

Yeah, OnPeak reserves the vast majority of rooms at the closest hotels. I know our hotels show sold-out status months in advance.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    PerestroikaPerestroika Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

Thoughts? Anyone?

I've brought a DSLR to every PAX I've been to (D90 for 3 shows and D800 for 2 now), and it's really not a big deal as long as you don't mind it getting bumped around in crowds. I usually just leave it tossed over my shoulder when I'm not shooting, and with the neck strap wrapped around my wrist when I am. I label the body and lenses with tape with my handle on them in case the camera winds up at infobooth, and then wander around seeing what there is to see. Also, lens hoods are really useful for this, as they'll protect the front element as you walk through crowds.

I'd really only bring 1 or 2 extra lenses though, depending on your kit. Don't need a ton of tele imo (but ultrawides are fun!). Also the expo hall @ prime is daaaark, so if you have any fast primes, mores the better.

I have a Nikon D5100 with the kit lens and a 50mm, so I'll probably just stick with the kit lens. I don't think I'll have a need for the 50 xD. I'll have to invest in a lens hood though, that sounds like a pretty smart idea.

Thanks so much!

It's just me, a block of dirt, and a cavern full of danger.
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '12, '13, '14
    Prime 2015 Cosplay: Hilda, Female Sunset City Hero, Squirtle Squad url="http://www.facebook.com/steleus"]X[/url
  • Options
    that makes since but i work for hyatt and i want my employee discount

• Options
    edited April 2013

Don't know if you're getting that at this point. I had to book in January to get the employee rate at the Sheraton back in 2011. And this year, I snagged it back in September just to make sure it didn't get away.

And since I just let the cat out of the bag about who I work for, I should point out that in no way do I speak for Starwood Hotels. Seriously, I'm an IT guy, not PR, so don't take anything I say as gospel.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Spud387Spud387 Man of Inaction Vancouver, BC, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Prices are now posted to the main page

Online Pricing
    Friday Only
    $30
    Saturday Only
    $30
    Sunday Only
    $30
    Monday Only
    $30
    Four Day Pass
    $95

Prime 2016 Status: Skipping. 2017, The Return.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010/'11/'12/'13/'14
  • Options
    IsoFoxFilmsIsoFoxFilms Registered User new member
    So I can't find much about Media passes this year, I've emailed the support crew a couple of times but all they say is keep an eye out or keep checking back but never respond to my question directly. Basically I just need to know how a small video crew can attend with media passes. The registration is geared towards journalists and doesn't specify anything about other "media". Any ideas?

• Options

Don't know if you're getting that at this point. I had to book in January to get the employee rate at the Sheraton back in 2011. And this year, I snagged it back in September just to make sure it didn't get away.

And since I just let the cat out of the bag about who I work for, I should point out that in no way do I speak for Starwood Hotels. Seriously, I'm an IT guy, not PR, so don't take anything I say as gospel.

well it never hurts to ask and as one hotel employee to another I'm sure you can appreciate staying at a hotel and not having to do any work

• Options
    edited April 2013
    So I can't find much about Media passes this year, I've emailed the support crew a couple of times but all they say is keep an eye out or keep checking back but never respond to my question directly. Basically I just need to know how a small video crew can attend with media passes. The registration is geared towards journalists and doesn't specify anything about other "media". Any ideas?

You'll have to wait until registration goes live for an exact answer, but PAX is about the fans first not the media. That means they don't give out thousands and are pretty strict about who they hand them out to.

Last year they required
    A copy of your business licence
    Letter from an editor on company letterhead
    Links to 3 articles written by you in the past 3 months
    Picture of a government ID

So you have to be a real media outlet to get a pass. I can't just start a blog and go "I want a pass". As for team sizes the biggest I've seen were two people the interviewer and his/het camera person.

But if you guys are the ISOFoxFilms on YouTube and Twitter its unlikeky you'll get a media pass. Your best bet would be to get regular passes and hopefully find someone willing to talk to you. Although I'm not sure what the video camera policy is for regular attendees

sanovah on
  • Options

well it never hurts to ask and as one hotel employee to another I'm sure you can appreciate staying at a hotel and not having to do any work

True enough. But I wouldn't stake my hopes on getting it at this point. Good luck!

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    ArbiArbi Registered User new member
    Hey guys, I have a (hopefully) quick question regarding hotels and age.

I turn 18 shortly before PAX and will not have the time to get a Credit Card set up before leaving (We're leaving the day after my 18th for the roadtrip to PAX), though I have use of my parent's cards for booking a hotel room. I'm not worried about getting across the border, i've done it tons, I'm just curious if i'll run into any hotel trouble by 1. Being 18 with three others (another 18, two who are 17), and 2. Paying in cash for a reservation made online.

I'm good for the money, but i'm worried they will want a credit card to check-in and check-out despite us having cash. Anyone know what my options are? Thanks.

• Options
    Arbi wrote: »

I turn 18 shortly before PAX and will not have the time to get a Credit Card set up before leaving (We're leaving the day after my 18th for the roadtrip to PAX), though I have use of my parent's cards for booking a hotel room. I'm not worried about getting across the border, i've done it tons, I'm just curious if i'll run into any hotel trouble by 1. Being 18 with three others (another 18, two who are 17), and 2. Paying in cash for a reservation made online.

I'm good for the money, but i'm worried they will want a credit card to check-in and check-out despite us having cash. Anyone know what my options are? Thanks.

You will have to contact individual hotels and ask them their policies. Definitely not the kind of thing we can help you with here.

• Options
    CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular

I would suggest calling the hotels that you're thinking of staying in and asking them directly. Most hotels will require a minimum age of 21, but not all. I'd suggest checking the Springhill Suites by Marriott - I think they have an 18-year old minimum age. As for the payment, a lot of hotels will let you change payment method when you check out, but I'd still call to confirm that you can just pay with cash upon checkout.

• Options
    ArbiArbi Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »

You will have to contact individual hotels and ask them their policies. Definitely not the kind of thing we can help you with here.
    Alright, thought i'd see if anyone had a similar experience at all. I'll definitely do that, thanks.

• Options
    Most hotels require a credit card at check-in for "incidentals" even if you aren't *paying* with the card for the full room stay.

• Options

Contact your hotel and ask about their policies. At the very least, you should be able to have your parents fill out an authorization form so that they can bill your parents' card for any incidentals.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    KazastankasKazastankas Registered User new member
    Hmm, any idea when the larger board game tournaments will land their events in this new 4-day format? In the past it's been 2 days of qualifier blocks followed by a third day of finals, and I don't know if that will remain or if we'll have 3 days of qualifier blocks instead. Since the 4-day passes are out, I'm pondering how many day passes I should buy. Thanks!

• Options
    TheGreySpectreTheGreySpectre Registered User new member
    Is there a method for turning 1 badge for each individual day in in exchange for a single 4 day badge?

Only having to have 1 badge would be way more convenient then having 4 individual badges (actual 4 day passes were sold out already for me so I ended up with a badge for each day instead.)

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Is there a method for turning 1 badge for each individual day in in exchange for a single 4 day badge?

This has not been done in the past, and I can't imagine them starting to do this now.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
This discussion has been closed.