Options

PAX PRIME 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Is there a method for turning 1 badge for each individual day in in exchange for a single 4 day badge?

Only having to have 1 badge would be way more convenient then having 4 individual badges (actual 4 day passes were sold out already for me so I ended up with a badge for each day instead.)
    Nope. You'll just have to make sure you don't lose any of the individuals when they ship out.

• Options
    CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular
    Hmm, any idea when the larger board game tournaments will land their events in this new 4-day format? In the past it's been 2 days of qualifier blocks followed by a third day of finals, and I don't know if that will remain or if we'll have 3 days of qualifier blocks instead. Since the 4-day passes are out, I'm pondering how many day passes I should buy. Thanks!
    I hope not. I hope they keep most of them to Fri-Sun still. With Monday being the holiday, we've already planned on leaving mid-day to make the trip home.

• Options
    disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    greatly upset that 4 days passes are sold out, next year they need to release the date that passes will be available weeks in advance

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    greatly upset that 4 days passes are sold out, next year they need to release the date that passes will be available weeks in advance

That would just lead to the registration page getting even more hammered than it is now, since everyone will have to time to have seen when and camp the site. Surprise release allows for some initial breathing room at least.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    well at least don't let all of one kind of pass be sold out at once

• Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »

That would just lead to the registration page getting even more hammered than it is now, since everyone will have to time to have seen when and camp the site. Surprise release allows for some initial breathing room at least.

I feel like the way they do it lets the people who are constantly stalking the site and the forums get their grubby hands on the passes first. I was hitting refresh ALL WEEK and was able to get my 4 days before the tweet even went out.

• Options
    WedjatWedjat SeattleRegistered User regular
    People say this every year. It has never been a good idea. That does not change year-to-year.

3DS 0404-6459-8631
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Guys, please keep this to general Q&A, there are threads for registration and hotels.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    How many tickets are sold for PAX per day? And what's the venue capacity?

• Options
    GlibReaperGlibReaper Registered User new member
    Are there any official ridesharing partners for PAX? I'm sure SideCar, Lyft and Uber/Uberx will be slathering for traffic as the cabs will be overloaded per usual.

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    The venue capacity was reached years ago :) The've only been able to legally increase the number of tickets they can sell (due to the fire code) by expanding into other buildings in the area - renting out some hotel conference rooms, getting the Paramount Theater for some functions, etc.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    @GlibReaper not that I know of.

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    How many tickets are sold for PAX per day? And what's the venue capacity?

These numbers are never officially released. However a fair guess is that the venue capacity is around 23000 per day given the turnstile numbers they used to release (between 60-70k turnstile over 3 days).

• Options
    HyperioHyperio __BANNED USERS new member
    Really starting to get annoyed with PAX. PAX East was sold out in roughly 4 days, Prime in 1 hour? When are they going to realize that the passes need to have names on them?!?! Such a simple concept that A REDONCULOUS number of companies/conventions have already implemented this. SCALPING!!!! which is the bane of your convention btw, would be cut down. BUT NO! Let's screw our fans... thanks PAX. BTW thanks to me being deployed/PCSing/BUSY IN GENERAL, in the military I have missed the past three PAX events due to SCALPING. FIX YOUR SH!@#&amp;)!&!)@# already... thanks.

• Options
    TheGreySpectreTheGreySpectre Registered User new member
    Hyperio wrote: »
    Really starting to get annoyed with PAX. PAX East was sold out in roughly 4 days, Prime in 1 hour? When are they going to realize that the passes need to have names on them?!?! Such a simple concept that A REDONCULOUS number of companies/conventions have already implemented this. SCALPING!!!! which is the bane of your convention btw, would be cut down. BUT NO! Let's screw our fans... thanks PAX. BTW thanks to me being deployed/PCSing/BUSY IN GENERAL, in the military I have missed the past three PAX events due to SCALPING. FIX YOUR SH!@#&amp;)!&!)@# already... thanks.

Possibly true however with their limited amount of passes per person scalping becomes a fair amount less effective. I know last year they released a statement saying that they believed most passes were purchased by actual attendees as opposed to scalpers.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    @Hyperio pax east didn't sell out until February. Also your comments about scalping are conjecture at best.

This is a FAQ thread, please leave it for that purpose.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    GlibReaperGlibReaper Registered User new member
    @Hyperio you're free to start your own gaming convention with fully identified tickets and biometric scanners.

• Options
    FAQ thread. Not "let's bitch about registration thread". Thanks.

• Options
    LOL CONJECTURE? That is so lame and you know it. Just because Ping in China creates 5 accounts and buys 1-2 tickets per account and has it sent to a proxy account, you assume scalping doesn't happen. Again, put names on passes and ask for a legal ID (driver's license, high school ID, etc.)... is that really that hard? BTW at any point, did I ever say biometric scanners? Don't be a tool. SIMPLY DOING THESE TWO THINGS WOULD FIX ANY DOUBT OF SCALPING. C'mon now.

• Options
    Oh and giving me infractions because I say obvious things that hurt your "feelers" are as equally retarded as your lack of names on passes. If you don't want honesty don't create forums and ask for our opinions. kthx

• Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    About scalping, from Khoo himself: "as a % of total sales scalpers make up a very tiny # of actual badges out there. Sorry if you think I'm a liar."

Durinthal on
  • Options
    redactedstringredactedstring Registered User new member
    I have a question about the ticket purchasing queue. I got in it after all the 4-days sold out (about 12:25 pacific) and I've had the queue window open. Every so often the page flashes like it's doing a refresh and I'm worried some of my browser settings might be preventing a redirect... so my question is, are hour long waits the norm across the board, or do I need to open it in a browser with less restrictive settings and wait anew?

I'm using Chrome on win 7, adblock has been disabled, plug-ins are set to click to play.

• Options
    I have a question about the ticket purchasing queue. I got in it after all the 4-days sold out (about 12:25 pacific) and I've had the queue window open. Every so often the page flashes like it's doing a refresh and I'm worried some of my browser settings might be preventing a redirect... so my question is, are hour long waits the norm across the board, or do I need to open it in a browser with less restrictive settings and wait anew?

I'm using Chrome on win 7, adblock has been disabled, plug-ins are set to click to play.

It appears that people have been successful after around 2 hours in the queue. I wouldn't worry yet.

• Options
    admantomb2003admantomb2003 Registered User new member
    So I bought a pass for myself and two of my friends for monday. They then asked me if I could purchase for one more day so I went back into the site and purchased a pass for each of us on sunday. The second time I didn't have to wait in the queue. I double checked and they did take my money out of my account and I do have both receipts from the confirmation screen, but only one confirmation email. I'm just asking to make sure both orders went through. I'm assuming they did because I have both receipts and the money is out of my account.

• Options
    It's likely solid, but you can email registration@paxsite.com to find out for sure (although I'm sure they're swamped). I've also moved this to the pax prime section.

• Options
    cedelacruzcedelacruz Kirkland WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    so even buying 4 single day passes it asked me about being interested in being an omeganaut. . .

has that changed from what it was before? 4 single day passes will qualify for the omegathon?

cedelacruz on
  • Options
    caibborcaibbor Registered User regular
    I assume there is a limit to how many tickets you can get. What is the limit? And is the limit something like X day passes total, or X of each day pass?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I don't have official answers about Omeganauts, but the Omegathon used to only be open to people who bought passes early, and bought the 3-day pass, because they wanted to sell those and encourage people to buy tickets early (and you needed to go all 3 days to participate). The "buying tickets early" phase is long gone now, and I'm betting that now they *don't* want people buying 4-day passes unless they are going to use them for all 4 days, and without that pass, there's no need to limit the Omegathon entry at all. In fact it asked me about the Omegathon even when I just bought tickets for Friday, Saturday, and Monday. So here's my unofficial theory: each Omeganaut will get a free 4-day pass. But don't try to use that just to get a free pass, because Omeganauts don't really get much time to experience PAX, as they are busy participating in the Omegathon for large portions of 3 days.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    wingblaze01wingblaze01 Registered User new member
    "As far as changing your registration you can log back into your registration page using your confirmation number. Once you've logged in you will be able to edit your address."

I just bought my badges, but the address they are supposed to be sent to got truncated in the field. I tried hitting the registration page again, but it just takes my back to the place where you buy the badges... What do I do? How do I ensure my whole mailing address is in there?

• Options
    "As far as changing your registration you can log back into your registration page using your confirmation number. Once you've logged in you will be able to edit your address."

I just bought my badges, but the address they are supposed to be sent to got truncated in the field. I tried hitting the registration page again, but it just takes my back to the place where you buy the badges... What do I do? How do I ensure my whole mailing address is in there?
    Wait for the system to cool down. You can change your address after the fact in the system itself (you have until July to, probably), and if that doesn't work then you can shoot them an email.

3DS 0404-6459-8631
  • Options
    chzdudlchzdudl Registered User regular
    We got a confirmation number for our ticket order, but no e-mail confirmation. My husband is worried because there's a typo in the phone number and he thinks the charge might not have gone through. Is there a way we can check this out? I'm in the queue just in case, but I'd rather not buy extra tickets we don't really need (thus leaving some gamer out in the cold)...please let us know what you think. Thanks!

• Options
    mynameaintyaomynameaintyao Registered User regular
  • Options
    chzdudl wrote: »
    We got a confirmation number for our ticket order, but no e-mail confirmation. My husband is worried because there's a typo in the phone number and he thinks the charge might not have gone through. Is there a way we can check this out? I'm in the queue just in case, but I'd rather not buy extra tickets we don't really need (thus leaving some gamer out in the cold)...please let us know what you think. Thanks!
    Email confirmations are backed-up right now because of the sheer amount of people buying. Give it a couple hours, I'd say. You should be able to change anything in the system that you need changed fairly easily once things have cooled down.

3DS 0404-6459-8631
  • Options
    ZumanityZumanity Team dignitas Editor Denver, CORegistered User regular
    Media pass information? Is the registration for this already done or just not yet opened? Thanks!

Curiosity...You want to see what it's like...One day you won't be able to resist
  • Options
    mikeschuldmikeschuld Registered User new member
    Here's what I found: PAX Dev is August 28 - 29, 2013 at the Westin Hotel. Other than that, I think the only restriction for getting into PAX Dev is, you can't be a member of the media/press - the passes are separate from the normal PAX passes, so if you want to go to both, you gotta pay for both.

Where did you see that Dev is at the Westin again this year? I can't find it anywhere. I got my room booked for all 6 nights (2 for dev, 4 for prime) at the Westin just hoping it would be there again, but I can't find any real confirmation of that anywhere.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    cedelacruz wrote: »
    so even buying 4 single day passes it asked me about being interested in being an omeganaut. . .

has that changed from what it was before? 4 single day passes will qualify for the omegathon?

I only bought 2 passes for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and I got asked if I wanted to be considered for the Omegathon. I went ahead and clicked yes because why not?

• Options
    mikeschuld wrote: »
    Here's what I found: PAX Dev is August 28 - 29, 2013 at the Westin Hotel. Other than that, I think the only restriction for getting into PAX Dev is, you can't be a member of the media/press - the passes are separate from the normal PAX passes, so if you want to go to both, you gotta pay for both.

Where did you see that Dev is at the Westin again this year? I can't find it anywhere. I got my room booked for all 6 nights (2 for dev, 4 for prime) at the Westin just hoping it would be there again, but I can't find any real confirmation of that anywhere.
    dev.paxsite.com is updated with the current dates, and the FAQ currently references the Westin, but this could still be out of date.

3DS 0404-6459-8631
  • Options
    mikeschuld wrote: »
    From the company organizing it: reedpop.com/Where-We-Play/PAX-Dev/

• Options
    bobaboba Registered User new member
    Once again I miss out on tickets due to non scheduled ticket sales. You know some people have to work during the day or have prior engagements they have to take care of. Why on earth would you do ticket sales in the middle of the week in the middle of the day.....Anyone with a normal job is screwed. I was following on twitter and everything this year to get tickets and I just happened to be sleeping for the few hours tickets went on sale......WTF! Just boggles my mind that there is no scheduled ticket sales dates so people end up getting screwed over. I'd rather sit in a long queue to buy tickets and miss out potentially than get straight up screwed like I have the past 2 years. Thanks for nothing.

• Options
    Thanks to everyone who has stayed on topic for this thread.

For others, well, please stay on topic.
    Zumanity wrote: »
    Media pass information? Is the registration for this already done or just not yet opened? Thanks!

Hasn't opened yet :)

This discussion has been closed.