As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looper is the best movie this year, and you need to go see it.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    regarding Kid Blue
    I think he should have died in the shootout at the club
    There was literally no purpose served by having him survive and then make that last run at Joe and get capped
    it just seemed to take up 3 minutes of time

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    So
    Kid Blue is young Jeff Daniels right

right?

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I thought he would be

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    regarding Kid Blue
    There was literally no purpose served by having him survive and then make that last run at Joe and get capped
    yeah kid blue was a really interesting character, but the end of his story was not well done

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah I was expecting the entire movie for that to happen.
    it would have been good as like a pretext as well. To like find out what happens when you do kill their past self.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    regarding Kid Blue
    i wouldn't say there's literally no purpose

he served as a distraction so old joe could get away

maybe joe kills old joe and goes on with his life and loops again if kid blue doesn't show up

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    And since it seems to be drawing comparisons to that other sci-fi film

I would say I actually prefer it to that one

Because I actually cared about Joe's character a lot, you see, as opposed to anyone in any of that director's films

wait what are you even talking about
    Buster and Tal both compared it to The Terminator

I enjoyed this more than I enjoyed The Terminator

And while I enjoy most of Cameron's films, I tend to never give a shit about characters in his films because they seem to exist only as ciphers to move the plot along rather than being fleshed out.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    oh hey JGL was an exec producer on this movie

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »

yeah i noticed this too! it's so rad to see that dude being successful

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »

yeah i noticed this too! it's so rad to see that dude being successful

Seriously, he's finally getting the work he deserves. He's in like 5 movies this year, most of them pretty good.

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular

Blake T wrote: »
    Also it was pointed out to me, that for a society that is about to be able to track all murders ever, there is a distinct lack of police in this movie.

It was in the future where they could track murders
    Not in the film's present

Unless you are a Chinese woman apparently

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    BusterK wrote: »
    Also it was pointed out to me, that for a society that is about to be able to track all murders ever, there is a distinct lack of police in this movie.

we never learn the outcome of that though

killing her was an accident, and to try and cover up for it they burn the whole damn house down. the director has confirmed this as well

those dudes probably got fucked up by the po-po

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    If murder is so easy to catch you'd think professional kidnappers would take steps to avoid it

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »

we never learn the outcome of that though

killing her was an accident, and to try and cover up for it they burn the whole damn house down. the director has confirmed this as well

those dudes probably got fucked up by the po-po

well, they would have.
    If Bruce hadn't fucked them up first

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gosh this was so good

Also I can't see why people would worry about the time travel and paradoxes, because it is clearly about
    JGL growing up as a person

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    It's cause they didn't listen old Joe in the dinner
    The best way to deal with time shit is not to think about it too hard
    Making diagrams and shit is for nerds

• Options
    did somebody day nerds

i
    fucking
    HATE
    nerds

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    did somebody day nerds

i
    fucking
    HATE
    nerds

you can't day a nerd

• Options
    "a sci fi movie? guess i gotta nerd the shit outta it"

• Options
    day nerd

(aaaAAAaaahh)

fighter of the night nerd

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    did somebody day nerds

i
    fucking
    HATE
    nerds

you can't day a nerd

day

te

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Day nerds versus night nerds.

• Options
    The ultimate battle.

• Options
    did somebody day nerds

i
    fucking
    HATE
    nerds

you can't day a nerd

day

te

can't do that either

why do you think i'm single

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

There are practically no police in the present time, and what police are there seem to work for Jeff Daniels. I think it's implied that the future got worse, and then society responded to essentially hitting rock bottom by instituting the death tracking and more effective police and enforcement.

Also, when introducing Jeff Daniels' character, JGL says that he runs the city, which would be impressive "for any city other than this one;" they are in Kansas, maybe implying that the police there are a joke and are more professional in more upscale cities.

Was it Kansas?

I was kind of wondering where this was supposed to take place.

The accents and the filming locations were leading me to Louisiana.

• Options
    I don't think it's nerd shit to want a plot that makes sense
    One thing causes another thing even if the order is reversed because of time-travel

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    it makes sense to send people back to a smaller city

big enough to have an underground, small enough that you can be hidden

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    did somebody day nerds

i
    fucking
    HATE
    nerds

you can't day a nerd

day

te

can't do that either

why do you think i'm single

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    i'm not actually a robot ;_;

• Options
    but would you date one?

• Options
    it's too late

they've all been brainwashed and your words ring hollow

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    but would you date one?

yes, always

• Options
    where are all the football stars, anti?

• Options
    also the "don't worry about time travel shit" would be better if time travel shit wasn't a crucial part of this movie's story

like Back to the Future 1 didn't really deal with time travel that much, it was just an excuse for Marty to meet his parents as teenagers

Looper is structured around a bunch of really weird side effects of time travel

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    where are all the football stars, anti?

i killed them

• Options
    i couldn't let them date my marilyn monroe bot

• Options
    I don't think it's nerd shit to want a plot that makes sense
    One thing causes another thing even if the order is reversed because of time-travel

yeah but picking through a movie with a fine tooth comb like it's some treatise on the logistics of time travel is silly too
    the movie works fine with the structure and rules it lays out and makes sense with very few missteps (and several of those have possible explanations that just aren't given in the movie)

plus the fact that the movie isn't interested in exploring the ramifications of time travel or how it works completely logically, but in using it narratively to explore the character arc of Joe in a really interesting fashion

i feel like digging out minute flaws/paradoxes in Looper's time travel is like critiquing a surrealist landscape for not adhering to real world logic - it was never very interested in doing that in the first place

• Options
    One action causing another to happen isn't really a minute detail
    It's more of the necessary component to have a plot in the first place

• Options
    what if JGL wrote a note to himself in the future to remember to send back a comically sized anvil at a very specific spot above Bruce Willis' head and the second he finished writing the note it appeared

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    One action causing another to happen isn't really a minute detail
    It's more of the necessary component to have a plot in the first place

and i'm saying that this works perfectly fine in the movie, unless you decide to gut the damn thing and go over the whole length of its intestines looking for flaws
    -Tal wrote: »
    also the "don't worry about time travel shit" would be better if time travel shit wasn't a crucial part of this movie's story

like Back to the Future 1 didn't really deal with time travel that much, it was just an excuse for Marty to meet his parents as teenagers

Looper is structured around a bunch of really weird side effects of time travel
    looper's time travel is just an excuse to examine joe's character and how his actions fuel a cycle of violence and angry young men