Options

G&T Secret Santa 2012: He'll be back again some day.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I loooove me some Secret Santa. Entered!

• Options
    devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    I'm in like flynn. Also I forgot to add for my santa, I do own a 3ds. Which is fun. If my santa wants a list of games I do currently own, feel free to proxy me.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Can we brag about previous gifts we've given?

Because I'm still pretty smug about the TF2 platformer level I made for my secret santee last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIrJhAREb8k

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Yusssss! Don't remember what year this is for me (three? four?), but I love it every time.
    Can't wait to see all the magical gifts again as the weeks go by!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    whoah, thread seems early but maybe not

I'll of course be in for the I don't know, it has been a lot of years. PREPARE FOR GIFTING

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Books are the worst gift.
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I'll of course be in for the I don't know, it has been a lot of years. PREPARE FOR GIFTING
    'Tis October.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Can we brag about previous gifts we've given?

I tried my hand at an animation based on the NES version of Metal Gear last year. It was delivered with the digital half of my Santee's presents to tease the package that was heading his way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yls8GmN1a9o

I didn't have flash so I had to make several dozen .gifs, animating them one frame at a time in Photoshop before plunking them into Windows Movie Maker. It started to drive me insane after a while, but I was pretty happy with how it came out! Especially with the way sound in the first scene syncs up with the text.

Your map makes me think.. with the fancy pants tools that came out a while back, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Christmassy Portal 2 level show up in this year's SS.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Proxy the ElfProxy the Elf Registered User regular
    Did someone say...CHRISTMASTIME?!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!
    Spreading Christmas cheer across the forums since 2009!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    i just realized this is like my ...6th (5th?) year. Good lord.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I lost count but this is at least my 4th. Will sign up when I get home. O:-)

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    There must be a boardgame about books.

The gayest gift.

103387973.jpg

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Want to enter but can't afford to beat giving away a PS3 in my first year. Couldn't afford to enter last year as I was in my final year of uni.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Did someone say...CHRISTMASTIME?!

Proxy! Welcome back!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Also I should add that I can't promise I will hand deliver a gift this year. Unless we decide to drive across the country again.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Adda wrote: »
    Want to enter but can't afford to beat giving away a PS3 in my first year. Couldn't afford to enter last year as I was in my final year of uni.

Who cares? Enter anyways. There's nothing saying you have to beat a previous year. We all have ups and downs financially.
    Unless I'm your santee, then you bet your ass you better top that ps3 year. A WiiU and 3ds could start things off nicely :P

Just kidding bud. But seriously do it since you missed last year. It's become a very low stress, fun holiday event in stark contrast to events in real life. With all the travel, money, traffic, family drama, etc., sending a stranger a gift is a welcome relief.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    EvilBadman wrote: »

'Tis October.
    ya I uh
    I didn't realize it was October already.

damn

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

'Tis October.
    ya I uh
    I didn't realize it was October already.

damn

:Jots down "calendar" next to Hardtarget, circles it:

• Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote: »
    @Hypatia I was wrong about the inaccuracies, but I edited a few lines to try to make make it slightly less overwritten. I also added pictures that show what it looks like from the recipient's perspective.

Thank you so much for putting this together and updating it! I've edited the OP to include it :)

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    YES. Signed up so hard. I love doing this every year. You guys are so awesome.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Seeing this thread got me super excited. I loved doing it last year. Books were part of my gift :[ BUT they were the Song of Ice and Fire series. And they were paired with Skyrim. That totally makes it better. Right? Guys?

Definitely signing up again.

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Angel177 wrote: »
    Wait, are board games the new books?

Board games are awesome, as are books, and will always be ahead of bleach.

Customs agents: the worst santa I've ever had

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Seeing this thread got me super excited. I loved doing it last year. Books were part of my gift :[ BUT they were the Song of Ice and Fire series. That totally makes it better. Right? Guys?

Double nope

Also

I hope I really get someone I know this year. Every time I've done it I get someone who I've never actually seen post before

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Well, Skyrim was also included in that gift, cause dragons. So poopoo on you.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I love this time of year.

I have done this two years in a row, and I am making it a threepeat!

edit: HINTS

My wishlist is in my sig, as is this post. I have an Xbox 360, a PSP, and a DS (I also have a Game Boy, GBC, and GBA, but damn if I'm going to count every single game I have for those, I only have until Oct 24), and I have been thinking about getting a PS3, but forget that, because Santee, my money is going towards you, my SE++ Santa, and my friends for the next 2 months at least.

360 games I have:
    Army of Two
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Backbreaker
    Band Hero
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Borderlands
    Burnout Paradise
    Dead Island
    Dead or Alive 4
    Dead Rising, 2, and Off the Record
    EA Sports MMA
    Fallout 3
    Fight Night Round 3, Round 4, and Champion
    Final Fantasy 13-2
    Gears of War 1 and 2
    Grand Theft Auto 4 and Episodes from Liberty City
    Green Day: Rock Band
    Guitar Hero 3, 4, 5, 6, World Tour, Aerosmith, Metallica, and Van Halen
    Halo 3 and ODST
    LA Noire
    Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
    Lego Rock Band
    Lips: Number One Hits
    Madden 09, 10, 11, and 12
    Mirror's Edge
    Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
    NCAA Football 11 and 12
    NHL 09, 10, and 11
    Ninja Gaiden 2
    Prototype
    Red Dead Redemption
    Resident Evil 5 and Operation Raccoon City
    Rock Band 1, 2, 3, and Metal Track Pack
    Rock Revolution
    Rugby World Cup 11
    Saints Row 1, 2, and the Third
    The Beatles: Rock Band
    The Orange Box
    The Simpsons Game
    TNA IMPACT
    Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
    UFC 09 Undisputed, Undisputed 10, and Undisputed 3
    Unreal Tournament 3
    WWE 12, SVR 07, 08, 09, 10, and 11

DS games I own
    Super Scribblenauts
    Kingdom Hearts Re:coded
    Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    Prof. Layton and the Curious Village

PSP games I own
    NBA
    Madden 06, 08, and 12
    MLB, MLB The Show 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, and 11
    Pursuit Force
    WWE SVR 06, 07, and 08
    Twisted Metal Head-On
    MX vs ATV On The Edge
    Star Wars Battlefront 2
    NCAA Football 07
    Dynasty Warriors
    Fight Night Round 3
    NHL 07
    Bomberman
    Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories

If you feel like buying a game, a console, a movie (I love horror films), a book, an accessory, clothes [shoes (size 6.5), a coat, a shirt (size Medium), a blazer, etc.] or knitting me mittens, or baking a pie, or making a painting, or whatever, don't hesitate. Basically, if you think I'll love it, get it or create it. Except no alcohol, and don't hand deliver please. It's the thought that counts. Also check out my Amazon wishlist full of stuff I want and would love.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    For the record, I don't think books are gay.

Unless they don't have pictures, those are pretty terrible.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'll be in for sure, I just need to send the PM info later.
    Hoping to make it even better than last year. :D

• Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    So I said I was going to sign up, but even though the minimum is $25, what I've read so far makes it seem like people tend to go well beyond that. I don't wanna, you know, commit some cultural faux pas if I can avoid it. Do people get excited about things that don't cost a ton of money? People have talked about getting consoles, brand-spankin' new games and huge boxes of DVDs and books. This is intimidating. I don't want to fail anyone. :?

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    So I said I was going to sign up, but even though the minimum is $25, what I've read so far makes it seem like people tend to go well beyond that. I don't wanna, you know, commit some cultural faux pas if I can avoid it. Do people get excited about things that don't cost a ton of money? People have talked about getting consoles, brand-spankin' new games and huge boxes of DVDs and books. This is intimidating. I don't want to fail anyone. :?

If anyone is disappointed that their Santa only gives them $25 worth of items, then they don't deserve to participate. It's not about the amount given, it's about the idea of giving. That's my take at least.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My first year (back when my screenname was still Herby...ah memories) I simply asked for something that would drive my wife nuts.

The result?
    SecretSanta156_edited.jpg

Far from overboard, but extremely well thought out and aside from having to buy a bit more ammo over the years we still have them and play with them regularly and that was 4 years ago now...

Well thought out gifts are always a hit regardless of price.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular

To be honest, in the years I took part, I completely forgot I was getting anything in return, so the value really didn't matter. I like getting unique

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    stuff if someone lives in a different country. Even if that's just a chocolate bar, a weird local newspaper and a flyer for the largest ball of yarn in the world.

Also I have no idea why this split in to two posts.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options

Last year I got a few Penny Arcade books, and I think something else, but I forget what. It's not a faux pas to do only the bare minimum, or even a little bit over that. As long as the person you're giving to loves what you give them, it shouldn't matter how much it costs.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Wooo, secret Santa! I'm so in.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I have entered!
    Let's see if I can get something fun set up for my CF and G&T Santees this year. Hope Rorus liked his present last year :D

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular

Never underestimate the power of good package presentation! Coming up with a unique letter, or wrapping, or even adding a small narrative to the package can create a more memorable experience than dropping $Texas on your Santee.

If you're a creative type (either physically or digitally), personalized/hand-made gifts go a long way, too.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I've noticed people bake cookies and things like that, so I guess you could put something like that in if you felt the base value wasn't enough.

Let's be honest though, you're already buying a complete stranger (in traditional terms) a gift that you've put a whole lot of thought into. Anyone who isn't happy with receiving that of any value doesn't deserve to participate.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    The "only meeting" 25$ minimum thing isn't a big issue, and people (read I know I do) absolutely appreciate personal/unique gifts that just meet that line. You can see where hand made items were given as gifts and super appreciated if you go through past entries. We also talk up the big gifts, because those seem more special from a giving standpoint(not a $$ standpoint).

Its SUPER RARE that we see actual grinches, because they generally get banned. I beleive someone was banned when they asked for japan stuff, got told as a joke they would get him "a copy of halo wrapped in bacon and the american flag" and he said he would throw it out. Before the pictures were posted in response to raz, I thought some shit was about to go down.

Edit: as said above, packaging goes a long way, first year I participated, I packaged everything in headshots of wilford brimley.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm working on a very detailed post for my santa...since I realized I left stuff out.

Also, I don't see anything about required being a member of the forum for a few months before joining, did you scrap that requirement?

• Options
    Who would throw out anything wrapped in bacon? He deserved the ban for saying he'd throw out anything wrapped in bacon.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Who would throw out anything wrapped in bacon? He deserved the ban for saying he'd throw out anything wrapped in bacon.

A charming fella called Ketchum_ash.

I like to think he was a troll, but he might have just been truly, truly awful.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal