Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Pathfinder & Other Tabletop RPGs] 1d6 Dragons Fall, Everyone Fries

13567101

Posts

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Superhero games of a certain vein are basically the same thing too

    Still wanna do something with that hybrid Aberrant setting I made

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I find Mage to be a whole lot of fun.

    Except when initiative gets rolled. Then it is not nearly as fun.

    Der Waffle Mous on
    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Tox
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    On the subject of WoD, would it be too much of a problem to try playing a Vampire game with a little less 'everyone is evil' attitude? I mean, is it possible to essentially allow players to make more grey characters then the setting dictates?

  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Here's my thing for Exalted in the next thread.
    Exalted__Book_of_Sorcery_vol1__by_kunkka.jpg
    EXALTED

    Ex3. This year. John and Holden and Geoff. Talk amongst yourselves.

    Seriously, it was evident several years ago that Exalted needed a serious overhaul in order to return it to the glory that so many fans, ourselves included, fell in love with. But that overhaul couldn’t be accomplished without a new edition and we weren’t set up to support such a major project. Fortunately, Holden, John, and a great crew of volunteers were able to begin the thinking on how to revitalize Exalted with their Ink Monkey work and were further able to jump into suggesting how to approach a new edition. Around the same time, a lucky conversation with Geoff Grabowski, my old partner on the development side of Exalted (see the Making of Exalted booklet contained within EX1), revealed he was interested in revisiting the world he had set on its course. The path was clear: EX3.

    Edith Upwards on
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Am I alone in really liking Essentials classes? In the most recent game I played I was a Goliath Fighter (Knight) and it was great fun. Just whacking anything that tried to do anything but stand right next to me and swing, and usually knocking them prone to boot.

    The game itself was lackluster though. Super-unprepared DM and an aversion to fun combat encounters.

  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Hey guys I'm not sure if you guys know this but if any of you kissed out on the reaper kickstarter but still want in they've re-opened the thing again on the main website.

    It's an extra fifty bucks. But for a hundred and fifty bucks you still get like two hundred minis of something stupid so it's still awesome value.


    No wait, my bad, you had to sign up for the post kickstarter thingie and have your email address registered already.

    Sorry!

    On the upside I'm getting a shitload of minis.

    Blake T on
    Rankenphile
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    On the subject of WoD, would it be too much of a problem to try playing a Vampire game with a little less 'everyone is evil' attitude? I mean, is it possible to essentially allow players to make more grey characters then the setting dictates?

    People reallllly shouldn't be evil in a vampire game. It tends to be bad for their Humanity.

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • FearghaillFearghaill If there is nothing but what we make in this world let us make goodRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    On the subject of WoD, would it be too much of a problem to try playing a Vampire game with a little less 'everyone is evil' attitude? I mean, is it possible to essentially allow players to make more grey characters then the setting dictates?

    People reallllly shouldn't be evil in a vampire game. It tends to be bad for their Humanity.

    Yeah, the whole point is angsty vampires trying to not turn into complete monsters.

    And lots of drama.

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    "A beast I am, lest a Beast I become" and all that

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    The trick to old WoD is that you're cursed with awesome. You have great power, but you also have some great "evil" that you can turn into if you're not careful with your power. Mages can succumb to Paradox (or worse, turn Nephandi or Marauder). Werewolves can be corrupted by the Wyrm (or just straight murdered), Changelings can succumb to Bedlam (or....the other one, I forget).

    There's a drawback, and if the ST is not playing up the potential horror of that drawback...the "modern fantasy horror" game loses a key element.

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Dang, Blake

    I happen to like reaper

    D&D is my favorite excuse to play with them like toys

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Well, played my second PF session last night, continuing the first act of Carrion Crown.
    Nothing much happened really as it was more of a pure RP session, the four PCs sitting around in the home of the Professor's daughter and chatting with her before and after the will-reading. It turns out we have to stay in town for a month (to the JOY of the councilman who read the will to us) and keep the daughter safe, most likely from a group of necromancers secretly in the area to steal something from a burnt and deserted prison called Harrowstone. We're probably pulling a bad move already but 'tomorrow', the party's splitting up with two of us going into town with the daughter to get a look at local records about Harrowstone prison while the other two head off to talk to the local Pharmasa priest about anti-spirit stuff hidden in the graveyard that we might need to get through the prison.

    On a non-plot-spoiling note, I hope that I'm not being too forward via my character as near the end of the session I (through my character) was starting to lay out what the group should do and assigning tasks. The DM and the others don't seem to mind but it's not like we had an election deciding on a group leader or anything either and I don't wanna come across as bossy. They did seem to be happy for sure when I showed them that I was using the online document that we listed all our equipment purchases to write a session-by-session summary of events, a list of characters both PC and NPC and our 'key items'. I did it mainly because I can be pretty forgetful sometimes if I'm not doing something day to day long enough to stamp the memories in my skull but the DM actually gave the party 50 Exp because of it. Does anything like that happen in other sessions where the DM tosses out extra-credit Exp like that?

  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I want to run a game when Ex3 comes out.

    [Ex3]Shit, let's be Satan.

    Ideally, the Circle would buy into some of the Immaculate Philosophy's lies, and be okay with their appointed position as monk-seducing, magistrate-killing, village burning antichrists.

    Any takers?

    Edith Upwards on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    So fucking excited to get my Reaper minis holy shit.

    UrielgtrmpAnialos
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Pathfinder is an awesome RPG, but the books are expensive as hell. Right now I'm playing Dark Herasy and Mechwarrior, but when one ends I'm going to step in and run a new era Deadlands game because Deadlands is awesome

  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I was really excited about that Relicknight game until I found out it was both a CCG and an expensive ass figure game. Too bad too because I would have loved the Gabe and Tycho kickstarter figures.

  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    The trick to old WoD is that you're cursed with awesome. You have great power, but you also have some great "evil" that you can turn into if you're not careful with your power. Mages can succumb to Paradox (or worse, turn Nephandi or Marauder). Werewolves can be corrupted by the Wyrm (or just straight murdered), Changelings can succumb to Bedlam (or....the other one, I forget).

    There's a drawback, and if the ST is not playing up the potential horror of that drawback...the "modern fantasy horror" game loses a key element.

    the trick to oWoD is to just play nWoD instead

    owned

    4si81Yt.png
    http://comicschat.tumblr.com/ - Buttlord Chats about Comics
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    The trick to old WoD is that you're cursed with awesome. You have great power, but you also have some great "evil" that you can turn into if you're not careful with your power. Mages can succumb to Paradox (or worse, turn Nephandi or Marauder). Werewolves can be corrupted by the Wyrm (or just straight murdered), Changelings can succumb to Bedlam (or....the other one, I forget).

    There's a drawback, and if the ST is not playing up the potential horror of that drawback...the "modern fantasy horror" game loses a key element.

    the trick to oWoD is to just play nWoD instead

    owned

    Eh, honestly they both have advantages. I greatly prefer oMage just because of all the metaphysics bullshit and philosophy. And nothing beats a Techie game, MiB style.

    Werewolf I haven't played the new one, but I think I'd probably consider both fine, although I'd definitely like nChangeling to the old one.

    Vampire, I think both have their merits. I like the newer system, but I enjoy the breadth of clans in the old one. I prefer the origin story of the new one (specifically, that nobody's really sure, and there isn't a meta-game "right" answer). I like the covenants, but I also like the "Ivory Tower" style Camarilla.

    So yeah I'm not sure which I like better.

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    The trick to old WoD is that you're cursed with awesome. You have great power, but you also have some great "evil" that you can turn into if you're not careful with your power. Mages can succumb to Paradox (or worse, turn Nephandi or Marauder). Werewolves can be corrupted by the Wyrm (or just straight murdered), Changelings can succumb to Bedlam (or....the other one, I forget).

    There's a drawback, and if the ST is not playing up the potential horror of that drawback...the "modern fantasy horror" game loses a key element.

    the trick to oWoD is to just play nWoD instead

    owned

    I heard nWoD could be troublesome to play with the wrong people though compared to oWoD. Mainly via this video from the Spoony Experiment in which Spoony describes how his character got hijacked in a VtR session and how he got revenge later. For those that don't want to see it, here's a summary from the TV Tropes page for his tabletop-RPG video series.
    In summary (needs some knowledge of Vampire: The Requiem): after his Carthian character is abducted and tortured into joining the Lancea Sanctum on his first session in the campaign, he decides that this isn't a very noobie-friendly thing to do. So he goes to the GM and complains, but the GM doesn't really address his concerns. So he get the idea to use his massive chemistry score to make a bathtub full of Semtex. He clears it with the GM, and comes back the next week. He observes the guard not patting down the entrants and proceeds to tape 30 cards worth of Semtex onto his person and walks by, sneaking enough homemade explosive to level the city block. He tricks another noobie into occupying the Prince's attention while he sneaks those cards into the Sanctum's bathroom. He places the cards behind the toilet, walks out, giving the guard a small stack of cards that he tells to flip over when he gets to his car. Spoony gets to his car, watches the guard turn the cards over, which have written on them (paraphrased): "4", "3", "2", "1", "I just detonated enough Semtex I made with my chemistry skill to level the building. Everyone inside is probably dead." He also raises a card in his car labeled "detonator". The guard went to the GM, who comes over and confronts Spoony over this, and Spoony points out that he wasn't hit with any magical whammy and only joined under threat of torture and death, so he didn't exactly believe in the Lancea Sanctum's cause on a personal level. The GM tells him he can't do this. The GM doesn't let him but Spoony tells him that even so, he outsmarted everyone in the building and that if they want to play hardball with him, he'll play hardball right back at them. And as this story shows, he hardballs even harder. Victory for the Carthians, bitch!

    Owenashi on
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Dang, Blake

    I happen to like reaper

    D&D is my favorite excuse to play with them like toys
    Dubh, try entering your email into this if you are still interested.

    https://www.reapermini.com/ks/

  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    I am super looking forward to just having a shitload of things to paint. As I've never done it before and it will be a good oputunity to learn.

    Shame they don't ship til march.

  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Blake T wrote: »
    I am super looking forward to just having a shitload of things to paint. As I've never done it before and it will be a good oputunity to learn.

    Shame they don't ship til march.
    Plenty of time to practice.

    Man, when these fuckers start shipping we should seriously get a mini painting thread going. Share tips and paint jobs. I fuckin love painting minis.

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm not sure if you guys know this but if any of you kissed out on the reaper kickstarter but still want in they've re-opened the thing again on the main website.

    It's an extra fifty bucks. But for a hundred and fifty bucks you still get like two hundred minis of something stupid so it's still awesome value.


    No wait, my bad, you had to sign up for the post kickstarter thingie and have your email address registered already.

    Sorry!

    On the upside I'm getting a shitload of minis.

    the post KS thing is sadly nowhere near what KS investors got

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    oh shit, they updated it and it is in fact everything the original investors got, just for $50 more which is still totes worth it!

  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I am super looking forward to just having a shitload of things to paint. As I've never done it before and it will be a good oputunity to learn.

    Shame they don't ship til march.
    Plenty of time to practice.

    Man, when these fuckers start shipping we should seriously get a mini painting thread going. Share tips and paint jobs. I fuckin love painting minis.

    Oh for sure, technically but I was an idiot and ordered a bunch of paints with my order. So it doesn't make sense to buy a bunch of paints now because then I'll just double up on them.

  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    oh shit, they updated it and it is in fact everything the original investors got, just for $50 more which is still totes worth it!

    God I wish I had enough.

    I've been thinking of starting a new 4E game and using some terraclips dungeonrise stuff and those minis would be perfect.

  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    At pax though I took Vivienne through the warhammer exhibit. Not because I like warhammer (before I went through the exhibit I literally knew nothing about other than sweet minis) I just wanted to go through it because I wanted to look at the paint jobs for all of the sweet minis

    UrielDoobh
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    tumblr_mbcn6z8Hj71qlrpw9o1_500.jpg

    I drew an owlbear at work today

    "AROOOO" is the noise owlbears make

    AntimatterJacobkosh
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Owlbears for best monster in D&D.

    Followed closely by Rakshasa.

  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    The trick to old WoD is that you're cursed with awesome. You have great power, but you also have some great "evil" that you can turn into if you're not careful with your power. Mages can succumb to Paradox (or worse, turn Nephandi or Marauder). Werewolves can be corrupted by the Wyrm (or just straight murdered), Changelings can succumb to Bedlam (or....the other one, I forget).

    There's a drawback, and if the ST is not playing up the potential horror of that drawback...the "modern fantasy horror" game loses a key element.

    the trick to oWoD is to just play nWoD instead

    owned

    Eh, honestly they both have advantages. I greatly prefer oMage just because of all the metaphysics bullshit and philosophy. And nothing beats a Techie game, MiB style.

    Werewolf I haven't played the new one, but I think I'd probably consider both fine, although I'd definitely like nChangeling to the old one.

    Vampire, I think both have their merits. I like the newer system, but I enjoy the breadth of clans in the old one. I prefer the origin story of the new one (specifically, that nobody's really sure, and there isn't a meta-game "right" answer). I like the covenants, but I also like the "Ivory Tower" style Camarilla.

    So yeah I'm not sure which I like better.

    the nWoD mechanics are like a hundred times better though

    i think they did/are doing a conversion of oMage to the nWoD system though, get the best of both worlds

    i know they did one for Vampire already

    4si81Yt.png
    http://comicschat.tumblr.com/ - Buttlord Chats about Comics
    Tox
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    Owlbears for best monster in D&D.

    Followed closely by Rakshasa.

    never trust a rakshasa

  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Wanna remind people of oldschoolhack.net/

    I ran a couple sessions of it when my regular d and d group couldn't meet. And I highly recommend it; it hits just the right balance of rules-lite and ridiculous early D&D conventions/tone. Plus it's arena system for tactical combat is something I'm stealing wholesale for my homebrew.

  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    tumblr_mbcn6z8Hj71qlrpw9o1_500.jpg

    I drew an owlbear at work today

    "AROOOO" is the noise owlbears make

    I did a little tabletop-RPG inspired drawing myself a few days ago. I just couldn't find a good enough representation of my PF character online so I made one. And by 'drawing' I mean 'ripped off an internet series' art-style and replicated it horribly with Paint.NET'. Please don't rip into me too harshly. >.<

    WyEGG.jpg

    Edith Upwards
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    The trick to old WoD is that you're cursed with awesome. You have great power, but you also have some great "evil" that you can turn into if you're not careful with your power. Mages can succumb to Paradox (or worse, turn Nephandi or Marauder). Werewolves can be corrupted by the Wyrm (or just straight murdered), Changelings can succumb to Bedlam (or....the other one, I forget).

    There's a drawback, and if the ST is not playing up the potential horror of that drawback...the "modern fantasy horror" game loses a key element.

    the trick to oWoD is to just play nWoD instead

    owned

    Eh, honestly they both have advantages. I greatly prefer oMage just because of all the metaphysics bullshit and philosophy. And nothing beats a Techie game, MiB style.

    Werewolf I haven't played the new one, but I think I'd probably consider both fine, although I'd definitely like nChangeling to the old one.

    Vampire, I think both have their merits. I like the newer system, but I enjoy the breadth of clans in the old one. I prefer the origin story of the new one (specifically, that nobody's really sure, and there isn't a meta-game "right" answer). I like the covenants, but I also like the "Ivory Tower" style Camarilla.

    So yeah I'm not sure which I like better.

    the nWoD mechanics are like a hundred times better though

    i think they did/are doing a conversion of oMage to the nWoD system though, get the best of both worlds

    i know they did one for Vampire already

    Yes, but...money.

    Though, yeah, the nWoD mechanics are far superior, if only for their standardization.

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    We've all heard of owlbears, but get ready to have your mind blown
    tumblr_mbcq8z4j5h1qlrpw9o1_500.jpg

    AntimatterEdith Upwards
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »
    Owlbears for best monster in D&D.

    Followed closely by Rakshasa.

    never trust a rakshasa

    what if they pinky swear?

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    We've all heard of owlbears, but get ready to have your mind blown
    tumblr_mbcq8z4j5h1qlrpw9o1_500.jpg

    @tynic

    tynic
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »
    Owlbears for best monster in D&D.

    Followed closely by Rakshasa.

    never trust a rakshasa

    what if they pinky swear?
    you get really creeped out cause those fucking hands man

  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »
    Owlbears for best monster in D&D.

    Followed closely by Rakshasa.

    never trust a rakshasa

    what if they pinky swear?
    you get really creeped out cause those fucking hands man

    They're not normal?

  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »
    Owlbears for best monster in D&D.

    Followed closely by Rakshasa.

    never trust a rakshasa

    what if they pinky swear?
    you get really creeped out cause those fucking hands man

    They're not normal?
    Rakshasa_Noble.png

    They are backwards.

    Huntera on
This discussion has been closed.