Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Pathfinder & Other Tabletop RPGs] 1d6 Dragons Fall, Everyone Fries

19293959798101

Posts

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    that's not even the craziest weapon damage roll I've ever seen either

    Disintegrate does 2d6/lvl in damage in 3.x

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    something something firing the deck gun at Dagon.

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Spring Showers . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    that's not even the craziest weapon damage roll I've ever seen either

    Disintegrate does 2d6/lvl in damage in 3.x

    What was intended "max level" of 3rd? Because that just sounds crazy.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    that's not even the craziest weapon damage roll I've ever seen either

    Disintegrate does 2d6/lvl in damage in 3.x

    What was intended "max level" of 3rd? Because that just sounds crazy.

    20, but that could be spell level?

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    that's not even the craziest weapon damage roll I've ever seen either

    Disintegrate does 2d6/lvl in damage in 3.x

    What was intended "max level" of 3rd? Because that just sounds crazy.

    20, but that could be spell level?

    No, actual character level.

    There's a fort save that drops it down to 5d6.

    see also: Harm (and Heal vs. undead)

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    who cares about damage potential, you could come up with all kinds of crazy numbers in a system that can be broken like 3e/3.5 can


    no the remarkable thing about 20d4 is the part with the twenty d4s, how does a person even accumulate that many

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    that's not even the craziest weapon damage roll I've ever seen either

    Disintegrate does 2d6/lvl in damage in 3.x

    What was intended "max level" of 3rd? Because that just sounds crazy.

    there was none, 20th was where epic started

    but the spell capped at 40d6

  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    I want to play fate core! Just funded that kick starter and it looks so fun.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Of course who cares about making a save vs. 40d6 damage when you have a bunch of spells that just kinda the skip the whole "dealing damage" part of killing something.

    Der Waffle Mous on
    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Of course who cares about making a save vs. 40d6 damage when you have a bunch of spells that just let you circumvent the whole damage part.

    the fact that most of those spells did not phase things that were immune to mind control or instant death

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Of course who cares about making a save vs. 40d6 damage when you have a bunch of spells that just let you circumvent the whole damage part.

    the fact that most of those spells did not phase things that were immune to mind control or instant death

    Yeah well they can be immune to mind control or instant death in a tiny sphere somewhere in the lower mantle.

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    I'd rather just enchant the moon with returning then throw it

    Shorty
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Ah, the Chewbacca Special.

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Shorty
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    I do not think I could ever use the spell Imprison on anyone

    that is too brutal even for me

    Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    guys, Spell scars, can someone explain them to me, i don't really get it. it seems like multiclassing, but with the other class just being the powers?

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Melding wrote: »
    guys, Spell scars, can someone explain them to me, i don't really get it. it seems like multiclassing, but with the other class just being the powers?

    Spell Scars are a thing from Forgotten Realms, and are represented through the multiclassing rules. This isn't particularly revolutionary, early 4e used MC rules for a few things that weren't explicitly classes (like certain weapons). This is before themes were a thing, so MC rules were the only real way they could do it using the existing rules systems.

    But basically, yes, it's an MC feat, and you MC Spell Scar. You can then take the power swap feats to pick up Spell Scar powers. I think there's even a couple of paragon paths you can take, and I'm pretty sure you can paragon MC Spell Scar (but paragon MC is generally just not a very useful thing to do).

    Explicitly, you do not have to have the MC feat to have a spell scar, narratively. You only need the MC feat to gain any mechanical benefit.

    There's also a theme that does similar things. Spellscarred Harbinger from Neverwinter.

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    guys, Spell scars, can someone explain them to me, i don't really get it. it seems like multiclassing, but with the other class just being the powers?

    Spell Scars are a thing from Forgotten Realms, and are represented through the multiclassing rules. This isn't particularly revolutionary, early 4e used MC rules for a few things that weren't explicitly classes (like certain weapons). This is before themes were a thing, so MC rules were the only real way they could do it using the existing rules systems.

    But basically, yes, it's an MC feat, and you MC Spell Scar. You can then take the power swap feats to pick up Spell Scar powers. I think there's even a couple of paragon paths you can take, and I'm pretty sure you can paragon MC Spell Scar (but paragon MC is generally just not a very useful thing to do).

    Explicitly, you do not have to have the MC feat to have a spell scar, narratively. You only need the MC feat to gain any mechanical benefit.

    There's also a theme that does similar things. Spellscarred Harbinger from Neverwinter.

    Alright. that's basically more than i needed to know.

    I am comparing ideas as i try to dig more into my dumb DnD setting. I want magic cyborgs to be a thing, and trying to think of th ebet way to do it outside of a theme.

    since feat + item seems either too good or too costly, i'm thinking using a system similar to spell scars might work? I would have to go find the forgotten realms book again to see what they do exactly, but spending a feat to get like the basic kinda cyborg stuff, and then another for like, sweet jensen glasses at level 1 for a human, and then robo-arms, and so on seems to work out mechanically than most ideas i have at ze moment.

    I don't like having to dedicate so many feats to it, but i also like balance.

    might take a look at that there theme as well.

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    I think the MC feat granted you one of a few features to choose from. There weren't very many, though (main reason Spellscar didn't become more popular).

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    yeah, some restructuring would be required because it adhered too tightly to multiclassing.

    The problem with doing it as feats, feats are by design rather easy to retrain, and flavourwise, that doesn't work, doesn't work at all.

    "weren't you covered in bronze before?" "Yeah, but i decided i wanted a light shield, so now i'm not"

    animal companion
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Oh that's easy, you just do the 4e thing of separating flavor from mechanics.

    Flavor-wise, being a cyborg is being a cyborg. You only get mechanical benefits from being a cyborg if you invest in the feats. If you retrain those feats later, that just means you've retooled some stuff and can no longer do those things. It doesn't mean you stop being a cyborg.

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    right, it just kinda funny to think about.

    Like when they discuss dragonmarks they're all "well, you can retrain them, but we seriously recommend against it" because narratively you'd probably still have it, i don't know if the can disappear, but to have the fluff benefit without the mechanical just seems like trying to have it both ways.

    But yeah, feats seem the best way to handle it. First one counts you as a living construct, allowing you into the warforged items such as knife arm and what not, to save having to make a knife arm feat, and so on in such a manner until such a point i have this idea completed.

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    That's pretty decent. Maybe limit it to one item category (like weapon, armor, neck, etc). Then another feat lets you take component items in any slot.

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    well, i am thinking the feat will grant like one of several degrees of augment, and then throttle how many of each you can have that way.

    Though maybe, count as a living construct a few in. or instead the feats are broken up by limb, but that might become a rules nightmare.

    one idea at the moment, the minor augment feat gets you one thing, is required for the next step, and the third step, which would be the daily power normally i think, is what counts you as a living construct. it gets you something big and at this point over all you are machine man enough that removing yoru forearm to put in a arm blade isn't really a big deal.

  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    As someone who looked at a bit of FATE and was never super blown away by its execution of its premise

    how likely am I to like FATE Core?

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    that's not even the craziest weapon damage roll I've ever seen either

    Disintegrate does 2d6/lvl in damage in 3.x

    Not even close to the craziest damage roll I've seen

  • sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    DE?AD wrote: »
    As someone who looked at a bit of FATE and was never super blown away by its execution of its premise

    how likely am I to like FATE Core?

    Not very? The rules haven't been dramatically changed. What was it you didn't care for?

    I think part of the reason people are pumped about the KS is the amount of supplemental material going along with it that show how to adapt Fate to different settings and genres. Fred, the guy behind the project, recommended that people put in $1 on the Kickstarter; that gives you access to the draft rules and a bunch of previews of the setting documents (they just released four more last night). If it's not your thing you can cancel your funding. If you like it, back it at $10 and you'll get thousands of pages worth of PDFs as the books and other documents are finished.

    Edit: Evil Hat just posted a rough video talking about what's new in Fate Core:

    sullijo on
    sig_nextwave.jpg
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Spring Showers . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    I am comparing ideas as i try to dig more into my dumb DnD setting. I want magic cyborgs to be a thing, and trying to think of the best way to do it outside of a theme.

    since feat + item seems either too good or too costly, i'm thinking using a system similar to spell scars might work? I would have to go find the forgotten realms book again to see what they do exactly, but spending a feat to get like the basic kinda cyborg stuff, and then another for like, sweet jensen glasses at level 1 for a human, and then robo-arms, and so on seems to work out mechanically than most ideas i have at ze moment.

    I don't like having to dedicate so many feats to it, but i also like balance.

    might take a look at that there theme as well.

    If you don't have the Forgotten Realms player book handy, I have it in the other room. Let me know if you need some info from it.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    I am comparing ideas as i try to dig more into my dumb DnD setting. I want magic cyborgs to be a thing, and trying to think of the best way to do it outside of a theme.

    since feat + item seems either too good or too costly, i'm thinking using a system similar to spell scars might work? I would have to go find the forgotten realms book again to see what they do exactly, but spending a feat to get like the basic kinda cyborg stuff, and then another for like, sweet jensen glasses at level 1 for a human, and then robo-arms, and so on seems to work out mechanically than most ideas i have at ze moment.

    I don't like having to dedicate so many feats to it, but i also like balance.

    might take a look at that there theme as well.

    If you don't have the Forgotten Realms player book handy, I have it in the other room. Let me know if you need some info from it.

    it is somewhere in this room.

    But so are a lot of things.

  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Spring Showers . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    I am comparing ideas as i try to dig more into my dumb DnD setting. I want magic cyborgs to be a thing, and trying to think of the best way to do it outside of a theme.

    since feat + item seems either too good or too costly, i'm thinking using a system similar to spell scars might work? I would have to go find the forgotten realms book again to see what they do exactly, but spending a feat to get like the basic kinda cyborg stuff, and then another for like, sweet jensen glasses at level 1 for a human, and then robo-arms, and so on seems to work out mechanically than most ideas i have at ze moment.

    I don't like having to dedicate so many feats to it, but i also like balance.

    might take a look at that there theme as well.

    If you don't have the Forgotten Realms player book handy, I have it in the other room. Let me know if you need some info from it.

    it is somewhere in this room.

    But so are a lot of things.

    Mine are on a shelf in the other room, in order according to their spine and campaign world and general content.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Spring Showers . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    And now the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, Ebberon Player's Guide, and Open Grave are right next to me.

    I can even take pictures with my phone if you need a visual.

    Unless I'm playing Dragon Nest.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    thanks, but i'm good.

    I found it near the book shelf.

  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    been reading up on 4e


    you can be a minotaur??

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    been reading up on 4e


    you can be a minotaur??

    You can be a Hengeyokai Crane Shapeshifter Druid that Takes Crane form with a Crane animal companion. Yes, I made this character, what of it =p.

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    crawler-crane.jpg

    OP ass druids.

    X22wmuF.jpg
    AnialosJacobkoshTox
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    been reading up on 4e


    you can be a minotaur??

    yep.

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    i remember playing 3.5 and my brother, who had like a 12th level Druid, was looking for feats

    and I had a really open attitude to stuff like supplements and Dragon magazine

    he found a feat, couldn't remember where, that let him Wild Shape into constructs

    obviously there was some provisos (no Supernatural or Spell-like abilities, for example)

    but he pointed out to me that Animated Object was a really broad and vague category largely based on size and he started making transformer noises and i was like

    jake

    no

    so he never took it

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    that's not even the craziest weapon damage roll I've ever seen either

    Disintegrate does 2d6/lvl in damage in 3.x

    Not even close to the craziest damage roll I've seen

    yeah but past that point you're doing the "how the fuck can I break 3.x?"

    the answer as I already said was hulking hurler

    take a dip in the old cancer mage pool and get somebody to gate in something that is afflicted with Festering anger

    in roughly 16 months you have enough strength to throw the known universe and the amount of d6 you do is only quantifiable via linear algebra

    this is not a joke btw

    you can literally slam dunk the universe onto somebodies head 4 times a round

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    that's not even the craziest weapon damage roll I've ever seen either

    Disintegrate does 2d6/lvl in damage in 3.x

    Not even close to the craziest damage roll I've seen

    yeah but past that point you're doing the "how the fuck can I break 3.x?"

    the answer as I already said was hulking hurler

    take a dip in the old cancer mage pool and get somebody to gate in something that is afflicted with Festering anger

    in roughly 16 months you have enough strength to throw the known universe and the amount of d6 you do is only quantifiable via linear algebra

    this is not a joke btw

    you can literally slam dunk the universe onto somebodies head 4 times a round

    .... just like in my japanese animes?

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Pierce the Heavens with My Hurl.

  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    gurren lagann only threw galaxies

    the observable universe can be thrown with a strength of 855 thanks to how strength scaling works past around 65

    Shadowen
This discussion has been closed.