As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pathfinder & Other Tabletop RPGs] 1d6 Dragons Fall, Everyone Fries

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Minions are my favorite concept from 4e

Just

Such a good idea

I think my favorite thing they did with minions is make some minions that would be summoned by a main monster, and if that main monster summoned them, they weren't worth any XP. It was all of a sudden like those boss battles in video games where to boss keeps spawning monsters just to piss you off and make the fight that much harder. I found immediate uses for that concept, specifically when making my own monsters and encounters.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Wow, I haven't paid much attention to this thread in a while. I can't believe one I've made has gotten up to the max-page count. :) If you guys want, I got the OP saved to kick off a new one. On a more related topic, my time with the Pathfinder group I'm in is progressing well if a little slow in the first part of Carrion Crown.
    My guys finally started to breech Harrowstone, having dealt with both a floating scythe and one of the ghostly prisoners in the form of a floating, skeleton and bug summoning flute. Hilariously, our Half-Elf Witch is the one that seems to be a real injury magnet (her being very grateful now that she bought a neck-guard). Not a totally bad thing as it gives my Half-Orc Gunslinger an excuse to get good and angry with a side-order of feeling useless seeing she hasn't had an opportunity to be real useful in warding off enemies off of the Witch with her gun or breeching-axe yet.

Owenashi on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i have a half made op for the DnD thread always at the ready, just in case.

you never know when you need to make a dnd thread.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    no melding this is a pathfinder thread, it's completely different

0BnD8l3.gif
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    no melding this is a pathfinder thread, it's completely different

That's right. Pathfinder and Dungeons & Dragons is different.

Pathfinder has a P, a T, and an I. And no Ampersands, Us, Gs, or Os. ;)

Well then, i'm going to make a DnD thread as soon as this one gets locked, we will see how this goes.

Melding wrote: »
    Well then, i'm going to make a DnD thread as soon as this one gets locked, we will see how this goes.

What must we do to get this sucker locked, then? I just came back to the forums after a nearly 3 year hiatus.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

What must we do to get this sucker locked, then? I just came back to the forums after a nearly 3 year hiatus.

One more page ought to do it.

it takes like four thousand posts or some such, and then a mod to take notice.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I made a D&D thread that just sort of died off. I don't remember exactly what it was about, but whatevs. I remember being told they didn't want a megathread, though. So it has to be relevant to something.

I vote "Lolth Appreciation Station" personally.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    i don't know, that makes me sound like a drow supporter.

and i'm not. i just kinda, ogle their goddess.

also i think your thread was about the playtest?

and no one wanted to talk about that.

I finally got my scanner set up. Soon, scanning will commence, and then coloring of Final Fantasy monster illustrations for use with my 4th ed FF monster stat blocks will happen. And then the typing of fluffiness for use with thems monsters. Not sure what I'll do after that.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I made a D&D thread that just sort of died off.

I guess Pathfinder's just more popular? :)

What's a Lolth?

edited January 2013
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I made a D&D thread that just sort of died off.

I guess Pathfinder's just more popular? :)

What's a Lolth?
    excerpts_20100607.jpg

Also: Linked for NSFW boobies.

Kalnaur on
    a miserable pile of secret spiders.

Okay.

So.

Not posting in that thread anymore for a while.

tube removed the ban on redacted.

For more specifics: Lolth is the effed up goddess of the drow, the one who tries to get them to weave webs of lies and deceit while stabbing each other quite literally in the back while being all xenophobic.

Apparently you have to sign in to view that?

yeah but those hips.

until she explodes into a weird spider thing, then i'm out.

Apparently you have to sign in to view that?

It was tagged "mature". I fixed the link. I prefer trying to link to the artist page when possible. ;)

yeah but those hips.

until she explodes into a weird spider thing, then I'm out.

Have you seen the pictures where her drider form has mandibles right where her bobbly bits would normally be? O.O

Instant turn off.

this has taken a turn for the weird

no, wait it was right on track.

Yeah I was gonna say it seemed about right.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    time to crack open the book of erotic fantasy

0BnD8l3.gif
    i cast Mass Eroticism on the crowd and then throw the cleric into the group.

i cast Mass Eroticism on the crowd and then throw the cleric into the group.

For some reason the word "undulating" just randomly popped into my brain when I read that.

yeah, my posts have that effect.

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    My proudest use of drow

was in a modern(ish) D&D setting.

The drow took the place of the "foreign investors" that had all the local companies scared.

Dwarves were almost entirely bikers.

Urban Arcana had them as street thugs and stuff.

but then everything in urban arcana had everything as street thugs.

maybe that's why no one likes it.

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Last page is probably a bad place to talk about this but me and 2 friends played Fiasco last night with the Transatlantic playset, and hoo boy.

That game is fuckin' fun.

Me and one friend had a relationship of "who are you and why are you in my closest?" which we interpreted as his dude was a stowaway who slept in my closet every night of the cruise, even though I'd kick him out at like midnight every night.

Urbana arcana was neat, and I love the veil concept, but as a whole I just found a lot of it... wanting.

Back when 4e was just coming out, I took a swing at a setting with similar ideas, taken to a different extreme:

Fairly Long
    Terrence emptied the duffel bag, five hundred dollars worth of pennies spilling out onto the living room's threadbare carpet. He'd always liked coins, bit since Madeline had died the compulsions had gotten worse. He supposed it was his was of grieving.
    Loosening his tie, Terrence carefully lowered himself onto the pile, and let out a contented sigh. He couldn't explain it, but he felt better than he had in weeks... maybe years.
    Fire licked across Terrance's lips as he let out another long, happy sigh.

Reality Vs. The Myth
    The Myth is not Reality. The Myth is Reality's good-for-nothing cousin that drops by to crash on reality's couch, eat Reality's food, drink Reality's beer, and run up Reality's phone bill. Oh, and sure, Myth says he'll pay you back, but Reality knows he never will, and he can't really say anything because, well, Myth is still family.

Myth does not play by Reality's rules, it ignores the laws, it changes the game. When Myth comes to play it does so on its own terms. That guy you know who works down at the dinner? Myth'll come along and turn him into an ogre. That cute secretary at work? Sphinx, just like that. Chances are you'll never even notice, maybe they just start acting funny one day, but soon enough you're asking to see the boss, and the secretary's demanding you answer her riddle. Believe me buddy, you better answer right, because you do not want to deal with an angry Sphinx. Doesn't matter what she looks like, under that human guise she's still nine hundred pounds of angry winged lion.

See, Man likes to think that he's got a nice, stable thing going with Reality, but the fact of the matter is that, at any moment, Myth can come along and mess things up, and there's nothing we can do about it...

Well, almost nothing. See, some people that go mythic choose to fight. They choose to protect Reality from the shit it can't even comprehend. Those people are the Heroes. Some say they're the lucky ones, some say they drew the short end of the mythic stick, but either way fact is they're out there saving your ass from dragons and orcs and goblins and whatever else Myth throws our way.

The Myth and the Guise
    "Run!"
    "What? Why?"
    "It's the cat!"
    "What cat? What the hell are you--"
    "It's a beholder! I locked it in the bathroom but I don't think it'll hold for very lo--"
    ZZZZZZZZZAT

-Michelle Schmidt, Dragonborn Cleric, and James Edmund, Halfling Rogue, 02/12/2007

Myth is sort of like a radiation. It's everywhere, but normally there isn't enough of it to really harm anything. Thing is though, sometimes you get hot zones, or spikes, or maybe it just seeps into a place long enough, and then you get a mythic outbreak.
    People, animals, objects, it doesn't matter, you get exposed to the Myth and it changes you. Oh, things still look the same, but inside, deep down, they're changed.

[Rules: All beings affected by the Myth retain their size and general shape, but use the statistics of the appropriate creature. I.E. Terrence, the dragon, is still effectively a medium humanoid, despite having all the statistics of a full grown Red Dragon.]

The Myth Vs. Science
    "What's that?"
    "My email. Jenny printed it out for me."
    "That's nice of her."
    "I know. She's very supportive."

-Derrick Marks, Human Warlock, and Jared Davidson, Eladrin Wizard, 05/06/2006

Never really figured out why, but the Myth don't play well with technology. It's not just electricity either, it seems to have a problem with any technology invented after the dark ages. It's not too noticeable normally - those exposed to low-level myth might just get bad connections when they try to use the phone, or maybe their car has trouble starting, but you get a high-level myth spike and things just stop working. You can always tell when you're going up against a lich or a dragon, because the lights will be out for a block in every direction.

[Rules: Modern technology does not function within a Close Burst (1/2 Level). This includes cell phones, cars, watches, grenades, guns, light bulbs, etc. If an object is held long enough, it may simply go mythic (see below.)]

Equipment
    "Guys, check out what I found!"
    "...a coat rack?"
    "No. Well, yeah, but technically a Coat Rack of Fiery Might."

-Jared Davidson and James Edmund, 09/08/2006

Objects go mythic too. You leave a baseball bat around a beholder or an orc long enough and it'll soak up the myth same as anything else.

[Rules: Items have guises just like monsters. A faded denim jacket could in fact be a suit of leather armor. An expensive dress could really be a full suit of magical plate mail. In general, weapons tend to become objects of a similar size and shape, or failing that, items with a similar purpose - a baseball bat is likely to be a mace or a sword, most household cutlery becomes daggers, and a longbow could take the form of everything from a child's slingshot to an automatic rifle. Heroes tend to favor innocuous looking items, as it reduces the likelihood of them being stopped by the cops.]

Death and the Myth
    "Stop! That's my husband!"
    "No, this is a mind-flayer. A mind-flayer that, I might add, has killed about six people."
    "Please, I--"
    "Don't worry ma'am, he's turned - he's gone completely mythic now. When it's all over, you won't even remember him."

-Derrick Marks, 01/09/2001

In the end, what separates the Heroes from the Monsters isn't whether or not they kill, but who they kill. It's not a happy thought, but it's the truth.
    Heroes kill those Mythics that have become dangerous. Monsters, well, monsters'll just kill anyone. Mythics, mundanes, it doesn't matter to the monsters.

Thing is, you live by the myth, and you die by the myth. Those that've gone mythic, well, they stay mythic - their physical forms are the only things tying them to Reality, and when they die they lose that connection. When a mythic dies, he fades away, all memories of him are torn away and their life becomes just another story. Only other mythics will even remember they existed.

Mythic Protection
    "Go ahead buddy, pull the trigger, it won't hit me. Men have emptied clips at me and hit nothing but air."
    "Yes, thank you, Jerry, we've all seen The Matrix."

-Jerry Michaels, Half-Elf Rogue, and Michelle Schmidt, 06/05/2008

Things that have gone Mythic are hard to hurt. Reality just can't quite seem to deal the damage it does to mundies. Bullets miss, diseases don't stick in your bloodstream, tear gas curls around you like so much mist. Fire still hurts, you can still drown, and you're ankles still crack if you try to jump out a window, but the world just doesn't have quite the menace it used to.

[Rules: Mundane threats, in general, do not affect mythic creatures or objects. A mythic creature never catches a cold, or suffers a paper cut from non-mythic sources. Even direct attempts to cause harm to a mythic creature will be thwarted if it is at all possible - bullets miss, grenades and landmines do not activate, etc, but if a car hits a mythic creature it will likely suffer some injury.
    In addition, most (read: nearly all) mundane creature are treated as Minions. They simply do not pose a threat to mythic entities.]

Races
    "So... I'm an elf now?"
    "Eladrin, but, yes."
    "I don't feel any different."
    "You wouldn't. You're an Eladrin now because you were pretty much an Eladrin yesterday, you're just more Eladrin-y now."
    "Wow, you are just the worst sage ever."

-Jared Davidson questioning Michelle Schmidt about his recent uplifting.

When someone becomes mythic, the Myth sorta makes a judgment call. It looks at your life, at who you've been up 'till now, and it makes you into something appropriate. At least, that's the popular theory. I think people listen to it because it helps them sleep, helps them to rationalize those orcs they just put down. I mean, if the Myth turned 'em into an orc they must'a been a pretty rotten human being right? Ask me? It's all random. The Myth isn't some big all-knowing entity, it's just random chaotic force, and sometimes it makes you a beautiful elf, and sometimes it turns you into a gibbering beast. You don't get any choice in the matter.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong, I mean, there are some weird coincidences - Never seen an elf or eladrin that wasn't drop-dead gorgeous, never seen a dwarf that wasn't a gruff old bastard, and the number of Tiefling goths I've run into does tend to push the limits of one's disbelief.

New Feats
    Widened Myth Field (Heroic)
    You're personal myth field is unusually large. All technology within Close Burst (Level) ceases to function.

Expansive Myth Field (Paragon)
    Your personal myth field expands to Close Burst (Levelx2).

All-Encompassing Myth Field (Epic)
    Your personal myth field extends out to Close Burst (Levelx4). With a touch you can erase tapes, scramble hard drives, jam guns, and generally prove a nuisance to tech-users.

Mythic Tiers
    "Man, I thought I was bad. I thought I was the most mythed out Hero this side of the Atlantic. Then I saw him. I was downtown one day, on top of Reynald's tower, tussling with a bar-tender-gone-harpy that was giving me a hell of a time. I get a glance at the roof of the next building and I see... this guy just charging toward the edge of the roof. He leaps straight across, just clears the space between and lands in a roll. As he runs by he slices the harpy in two with a friggin' switchblade. Dude didn't even slow down, he just kept going and leapt off the other side of the roof. Dude didn't even break stride! Never saw him again."

- Kent "The Heat" Wilson, Halfling Warrior

Heroic - Street level. The party fights off orcs, undead, and other lesser threats. They fight the good fight, side by side with mundies who have no idea what's going on.

Paragon - As mythic as the monsters they fight, the party has become a force to be reckoned with in the awakened world. Most of their abilities have become obviously mythic.

Epic - The mundane world wouldn't sleep nearly as well if they knew of the battles the party now fights. If they so chose, the party could easily turn on the world, take it over, make the armies of the globe bow down before them. Or they could stop those who would choose to do so.

Warps, Breaches, and Incursions
    "So I'm walking through this old abandoned building, over on the other side of the tracks. Nothing big, just some kobolds so far, but I'm getting this weird feeling in my gut. I hear a door close off to my right, so I go check it out. Just a battered old office door, right? Wrong. I go to open it, and there's no room beyond that door - just a long stone hallway lit with torches. I figure it's a glamor or something, stick my baseball bat out a bit... Suddenly I'm holding a bastard sword. I won't lie. I turned tail and ran. Fast."

-Timothy Thompson, Human Warlord.

Occasionally, when the Myth gets thick enough, weird things start happening. Okay, weird even by mythic standards. We're talking about some messed up stuff here. Sometimes you get these areas of warped reality, maybe a hallway seems longer than it should be, maybe a few new rooms appear in a old rundown tenement. Sometimes you get Areas where the mythic shite almost seems real, where you can just barely see what's going on under the guise. The real dangerous stuff though, are the pockets, little bubbles or raw Myth that don't have a damn thing to do with reality - an verdant meadow on the seventeenth floor of a sky scraper, a castle that just suddenly appears down town. You see something like that and you'd best just turn around and walk away, my friend.

People and Places
    "I swear man, I swear it."
    "You're out of your mind."
    "He is!"
    "No he is not! Prince is not a half-elf! You're insane."
    "I swear to Pelor!"
    "Yeah, and last week you were swearing to Bahamut that The Rock was a Dragonborn."
    "How can you think he's not?"

-Jared Davidson and Kent Wilson, discussing celebrity and the mythic.

Organizations
    The Circle: The circle's a buncha bullshit, anyone who tells you otherwise is either an idiot, or their trying to pull one over on you. Their supposedly this big bad group of wizards that basically run the west coast, but anyone that powerful would have to be pumping out Myth like a goddamned fog machine, there wouldn't be a city in a hundred miles that wouldn't be locked in a permanent black out.

The Reckoners: Group o' heroes that operate all throughout the continental united. For some reason they focus all their violence on the werewolf and vampire mythics. No clue why they got such a hate on for 'em, but they're very good at what they do.

Mythbreakers: Now this one's true, but it ain't pretty. See, there's this group a human's out on the coast who... I don't know, I guess they saw something that spooked, took it into their minds that they should do what they could to hunt down and eliminating every mythic they could find. Thing is, you hang around the myth to long and you turn mythic yourself. Now their all heroes. Thing is, rumor has it one of 'em's been a Warforged from day one.
    The Slithe: Whole cadre of illithid, in Michigan of all places. Word is they've been diggin tunnels under the lakes, carving out a whole complex down their. Lord knows for what.

Places:
    Atlantis: Heard from a wizard that Atlantis actually did exist, and it was big on the Mythic energy. A whole continent soaked in Myth. It didn't sink below the waves, though, it just disappeared. Theory is a bubble got it, sucked it straight back into the Myth. I wouldn't even want to know what happened to it then.

Bermuda Triangle: Oh, that's a Breach, no doubt. Next question.

Roswell: Now that's an interesting one. I was in New Mexico once, heard first-hand from some guy who used to work out on the base. The whole weather balloon thing? Bull. It wasn't a saucer, though, it was just an experimental high altitude troop-carrier. It hit a pocket on it's way back to base, though, whole thing went mythic and crashed in the desert. The ship was shredded, the electronics were totally wrecked, and crew had all gone Githyanki. Yeah, I know, I'd never heard the word either. Whole new kind o' mythic. They were never seen before then, but lately they've been poppin' up more an more. Makes y'wonder.

that is long.

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Worth reading though.

In essence - Dungeons: The Dragoning

edited January 2013
    i personally am not a big fan of magic and technology not mixing.

I can usually get the reasoning for it, but personally i like the idea of a lich being the centre of a data network, or trolls using electric fences as armour.

Melding on
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Tech Lich is probably one of the better ideas I've heard that I'll probably try to put into a Gamma World game at some point.

Super Haunt or something to that effect.

plus then ghosts can't possess old nintendo games, and then what will creepy pasta be?

edited January 2013
    My only problem with Magitech is that it doesn't really fit in a typical D&D setting. Technology in generally seems out of place, though, which is the source of the issue.

It'd be great in Eberron, and if I ever run an Eberron game there will totally be a technoLich at some point, now that I have that idea in my head.

Tox on
This discussion has been closed.