Options

[NatCoWriMo] 30 PAGES 30 DAYS, DOING IT NOW

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    I've spent the last week or so writing out more of my story so I think I'm in for the layouts part of this.

My story is about an "obedience" school run by monsters. The main character is going to find out the school is corrupt, and that "graduating" just means signing your soul over and turns you into a monster yourself. It's supposed to be a social commentary on North Korea - my mom is from the South and I've spent the last couple of years reading a lot about the North. The idea is that the Principal represents Kim Jong Il and how he grew up as a monster. He created the school to brainwash everyone into believing what he wants and corrupting their minds. The kids are supposed to represent the foreign/innocence that are then challenged by fear and intimidation to follow his rules. I have ideas for monster races, a character that betrays the main character, food that helps the brainwashing process along, and I even took pictures of my city hall interior to use for some of the school's designs. I've been planning this for way too long without actually taking it anywhere.

I haven't decided yet if I want it to have a happy ending or not (either she frees all the monsters from their corruption or she turns into one herself). Going by my idea of making a graphic novel about a character that young readers, especially girls, can look up to, I'll probably go for a happy ending...even though the unhappy ending sounds way more interesting.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Sounds awesome and interesting, MD, Im excited to see that. Have you read Maus?

• Options
    Ooooh you know, I haven't. I totally should!

• Options
    I've only read snippets of it, but its probably a good point of reference considering how heavy the subject matter and acclaimed it is.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    You could always leave the ending open to interpretation! I always like when movies end with some room for thought, if its done effectively anyways...

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Waaat, none o' you's read Maus? Come on man and Iruka you even made this thread. Ach.

• Options
    I'm actually not very well read in comics that aren't webcomics. A lack of funds and a lack of places to buy them plays in heavily, there.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I'm even worse because I own it, and havent really sat down to read it cover to cover.

• Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    I'm in the same boat, that webcomics is the reason I got interested in this form of storytelling at all. When I was at APE browsing one of the tables, the guy asked me what I read and I got hella flustered... feeling that somehow, I didn't belong there.

• Options
    Non webcomic comics are definitely different! I go to the library a lot because I don't like to read stuff at my store unless I buy it and I'm not made of money. Our store actually supplies the libraries throughout our state with graphic novels so there's plenty of awesome stuff to read for free. Next time I'm there I'll look for Maus!

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I almost exclusively read physical comics, weird world. But yeah, it's not like I have infinite funds or anything either (I guess I have for about 3.5k usd worth of comics or something) so I goto the library a lot like MD.
    Anyways, back to Natcowrimo: I forgot to mention, your idea sounds neat MD!

m3nace on
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I used to read a lot of comic books, then went over to the webcomic side.

In theory MD you could combine the two endings...perhaps she'd turn into a monster and ends up being a catalyst of change. I don't want to take anything away of the underlying meaning you have going on, but it could reflect on what's going on (allegedly) in North Korea now that Kim Jong Un is in charge...

I wrote/formatted the scene I wanted to use and it comes out to twelve pages...now I'm struggling with what to add to it to make it a full thirty or if I should just say screw it and layout the whole script.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    So, this up coming weekend is your last weekend to stop beating around the bullshit bush with prep and be ready to throw your shit down and go balls to the walls on this motherfucking thing.

You can tell by my cursing that I'M NOT AT ALL READY IM NOT READY IM NOT READY

But I'm still doing it! SO YOU GUYS BETTER TOO. IF I CAN YOU CAN WE CAN EVERYBODY CAN.

all I did was clean up one nia:
    Niarifle800.png

and read my sisters notes on plotting. I still don't have an opening scene so I guess thats happening this weekend.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm still writing a bunch. I have 6 pages written and 2 pages laid out so far. I'm pretty far behind, so I'll be smangin' hard the next 8 days. I'll post up some layouts when I get home from work tonight.

Edit: Here's the 1st 4 layouts.

jrwk9.png

o0ej8.png

G2EzU.png

IFthY.png

Mynt on
  • Options
    I got 9 pages of layouts done so far so I'm roughly one third the way into the story. In order to be ready for November I have to complete about 4 pages of layouts every day for the rest of the month. Today I hung up a calendar and marked off a goal for each day, increasing my load on the weekends.

I'm a bit disappointed that I've put myself in a position where, in order to keep up with my layout schedule, I haven't left a lot of time to be doing concept work.

Time's winding down! How's everyone else doing?

• Options
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm going to layout some stuff......

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Well, my boy started working on a story for a world that we came up with together that we really like... but I don't think it will work out for this project because he's so busy it doesn't seem possible for him to finish in time, and also it is an idea that I would like to be able to take a lot of time with. So I was thinking about trying to write my own story again, and then I remembered that a lot of the comics I like don't have dialogue, and I felt a lot more comfortable writing a story without dialogue. Now I have the whole story line and what everything looks like in my mind, so with a couple of days to plan out each page, I should be able to pull this off.
    Come on folks, we can do this!

• Options
    This is my first time making a comic. Ever. And though there are a lot of resources and help on the interwebs, I'm gonna share some stuff I discovered while doing layouts that might be relevant to our task:

• Figure out your workflow. Concept art is easy! Just draw cool shit! But for NatCoWriMo most of us are doing the world building, dialogue, concept art, layouts, etc, etc... So figuring out how you're going to tackle this mountain is half the battle. (Example: It has worked better for me to write the a page of script then immediately do the layout for said page. Then refine from there as needed. I originally had more than half the story scripted on it's own, but when I started to do layouts, there was always some finagling with the original script in order to preserve the flow of the page. I think more experience with comics in general will help me plan better when writing, but for now, this will be my workflow.)

• Make your layouts super simple. It's really easy for me to just keep refining and refining. But I'm starting to notice that I'm spending way too much time doing a layout for each page. My goal for the layouts should be to figure out panel layout, page flow, character/word bubble positions, tough perspectives and difficult poses. I shouldn't be trying to nail down the architecture for a building or vehicle or refine a facial expression. This isn't the place for concept work.

• Be realistic. Understand how much work you can actually get done in a day. I mentioned before, that I only have 4-6 hours during the weekdays if there's nothing else going on in my life at the time. I know how much work I can get done in that time (not a lot), so I know I'll be busting my ass on the weekends.

• Plan. I made a calendar to show what I had to get done per day to finish on time. Mix that with the knowledge of how much work I can do in a day, and it was a harsh wake-up call on the load of work I'll be undertaking. (Example: I won't be able to work on any layouts tonight. So somewhere in the next week, I have to find a way to work on the 4 pages of layouts that I'll be missing.)

• Rest from time to time. Last night I got stuck on a pose, and my girlfriend just came home making all kinds of drunken noise. I was so frustrated I wanted to just yell/curse/scream/destroy. Instead, I just got up from my computer, made some tea and let my blood pressure come down. Everything fell into place after that. Sometimes you just need to step away for five minutes. That being said:

• Work time is work time. Living in a 1BR apartment, I don't have the luxury of escaping distractions easily. Everyone is going to have their own way of dealing with it, but whatever it is, you have THIRTY pages to make. And they ain't gonna draw themselves. Close browsers, shut yourself away from loved ones and ignore that smell from the pile of dishes in the sink. My brother is a bit upset that he's losing his Borderlands 2 partner for a month, but I've got a comic to draw.

I hope this helps you guys a bit. At the end of November, I want to see GIANT-FUCKING-PILES-OF-WIN... and hopefully no excuses about why you failed miserably.

I'll be on hand for moral support/cheerleading/ass kicking if need-be. (Unless it's work time... Then get the fuck out and make sure you close the door.)

• Options
    I've "layed out" (without actually drawing anything mind you) roughly 24 pages. I'm hoping to git r done today and then start drawing out page sketches/character designs. It's going to be a wild ride.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Alright, I like to wait to the last minute but I'm down for this.

I've got a few questions though....

Is this 30 scripted comic pages in 30 days or 30 scripted comic pages with layouts in 30 days? I see a lot of people doing layouts and also talking about finished pages?

Do the comic pages need to be in submission quality format, like the Dark Horse sample scripts for example?

I'll put up character synopsis and background setting, etc. stuff later.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    The Idea was finished pages, 30 of them, in 30 days. If you're doing really rough layouts and scripts, then double it. But you can honestly set your own goal, because I'm not going to hassle anyone about the quality or quantity.

You'll know if you are pushing yourself or not.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So 30 penciled finished pages? Sorry, confused here.

• Options
    Sure, if thats what you want. I will be doing 30 pages that are finished, in a rough painterly style. If pencil is your thing go for it, if you want to set your goal for inks, sure.

• Options
    Gotcha... Alrighty then, I'm in. I've got a few pages scripted and the basic worldbuilding to get started, so mostly for me it'll be playing art catch-up.

It's times like this I hate that I don't have any real digital art skills cause it's going to mean a lot of night after night sketching and scanning.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    End of Pre-Production month! Let's get down to business!

Goooooooooooooo!!!!

Mynt on
  • Options
    Okay, my goals for this are as follows

1) 30 finished scripted pages (1 per day)

2) 30 layout pages (1 per day)

3) 30 minutes of sketching to finalize the art style and character designs for the comic (1 session per day)

4) On the weekends, complete at least one full, finished page (4-8 total pages depending on time)

I set the goal like that because I can spend up to 2 hours a day doing layouts, writing, and sketching, but seeing as how finished pages would take me 4 hours on a good day I can't knock out one a day, so this way I work for two hours a day and eight hours on the weekends.

I'm hoping for an end result wherein I've got 30 scripted pages, 30 layouts, the art style for my new project completely set from multiple angles, and 4-8 pages in the buffer so I can continue in December and launch it in January.

I was going to post a detailed analysis of the story and characters but I think I'd rather just do that in pieces instead.

• Options
    Today: Short nap, podcast, sketch the first page, post it. I will hopefully also lay out the next 3 or four NO PROMISES PEOPLE.

@Mynt @melting_doll @earthwormadam what are you guys doing?

• Options
    Today's Goal once I get off of work:

Sketch, ink, letter & post the first page and at least have the 2nd page sketched. The first page of my comic is very simple, so I'm going to try to get ahead where I can. I'll have roughly 5 hours to draw tonight.

Saturdays I'll be trying to have 2 pages inked.

Sundays are for coloring.

By the end of 30 days I'm hoping to have 30 pages inked & colored. I know this will push me VERY hard...

I'd tell you guys "Good luck", but fuck that. Cause luck ain't gonna get you there.

Work hard!

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Okay, Wall of Text incoming people.

My project is The Vac, a science fiction graphic novel series I've been toying around with for the last four years. I decided that I finally want to launch this project in January as an ongoing online comic that will update twice a week.

This is the general outline of characters, planets, ships, etc for the universe I'm working on for my project, The Vac (short for the vacuum of space)

This was pre-production work. I'll have the first few scripted pages up today, and tonight I'll start layouts and character sketches to finalize the look I'm going for.

Spoilered for ease on the eyes for anyone that doesn't want to read it.
    Cast:
    Warren Jones (Earthling - Captain - The Rhino)
    Warren Jones is a tall, lean younger man who stands 1.89m tall and weighs about 76kg. He has dark brown and neatly trimmed hair and a few miscellaneous tattos on his body. He is 29 years old.
    Warren was a former low ranking but adept military pilot in the IFC. He enlisted into service at the age of 20 in an attempt to escape a rising debt he owed to a loan shark one of the Great Hope child ships. His career was mostly late night shifts and staying under the radar until age 25 when he was discovered by one of the loan shark's agents, at which point he swiped a scout ship and tried to sell it on the Myr black market for a one way ticket out of the fleet and the Earth system it resides in.
    When the fleet officers attempted to arrest him, he smashed the cruiser into one of their hulls, and launched the escape pod which attached to a passing ship preparing to enter warp in what was described as one of the most impressive and insanely risky maneuvers ever attempted. Moments away from a clean escape, his pod was snatched by a low level magnetic tether which yanked him out of the warp portal just as it was beginning to process the pod.
    After his court martial, he spent a year in a fleet military prison colony on Neptune. Thanks to the effects of being exposed to a warp transition and then removed from it, Warren has the unique ability to perceive time as a grid field which makes him able to process odds and calculations in a way that even the most sophisticated computer cannot. It does not make Warren incredibly smart, it makes him incredibly lucky, although it also riddles him with an extreme case of Attention Deficit Disorder that has to stay carefully medicated at all times. Failure to do so led to Warren escaping from the prison colony three times due to what he described as "excessive boredom."

Matthew Fischer (Earthling - Mechanic - The Rhino)
    Matthew was always good at building things. When he was 9 he was tested and found to be in the top two percent range for aptitude in mechanics. This led to him being rushed through proper school and his involuntary enlistment in the Fleets "Adolescent Research and Development" program wherein teenagers who are well above an intelligence quota are recruited to research and design new technology for the Fleet. This was a program initially co-developed based on similar Khastraal programs.
    The problem with this is that Matthew missed out on his childhood and was very resentful of this fact. He would purposefully sabotage his creations when it came time to demonstrate them for higher ranking Fleet personnel and generally speaking he was a pain in the ass to work with. Coupled with the fact that he was a heavy child who grew into a stocky frame (Matthew stands roughly 1.79 meters tall and weighs roughly 89kg, with thick shaggy blonde hair) and a working knowledge of how to properly handle a bulkhead wrench he was prone to fighting.
    When he was 22 he finally snapped and locked his commanding officer in a J-K Field stabilization tube that constantly and rapidly cooled and then warmed his body for a period of six hours until he was released. The officer has developed a permanent psychosomatic trauma since, and Matt was sentenced to 10 years in the Neptune Colony.

Fysp (Donau - Freelancer - The Rhino)
    Fysp is an 80 year old Donau soldier. He has a brownish green skin tone and various battle paint applied to his face from time to time. He was originally born on one of the Donau colonies, but migrated with his family to the Earth sector and spent his first 20 years there learning the culture and traits of Humanity. After his parents died, he returned to his home world at the age of 47 to inform the tribe elders of their passing.
    At this point Fysp was instructed to carry out the four year mourning period of reflection and meditation that a Donau goes through when their parents pass, so their spirits will know that their legacy thanks them and wishes them eternal peace. Somewhere around the second year of this process, Fysp realized that growing up on an Earth colony gave him no need for Donau customs or traditions and left the tribe.
    He spent the next 30 odd years travelling the galaxy and working various odd jobs that ranged from long distance sniper support to short order cook on a Khastraal passenger ship. He met Warren and Matt after they saved his life on a mission gone terribly wrong, and decided that they seemed to be the best choice for gainful employment that continued his exploration of the known systems.
    Fysp is quick tempered, but loyal to the crew. He's constantly at ends with the Rhino's artificial intelligence assistance personnel (Monty and R.A.R.E.) because of their overt Xenophobia toward the Donau thanks to some creative programming manipulation by Matt early on as a practical joke.

Karah Genevieve (Earthling - Con Artist - The Rhino)
    Karah is 31 years old and something of a mystery. She has long, dark black hair and olive skin. She is approximately 1.8 meters tall and her weight is unknown. It is known through the IFC database that her family, mother and father both still living, are citizens on the Santa Maria.
    Karah was picking pockets and selling sob stories to tourists, citizens, and even the occasional gullible Khastraal for extra cash at an early age. She was a born actress, once able to sway a crowd of 50 into believing that she was long lost European royalty and make off with over seventy thousand dollars in stolen jewelry at a dinner party for the newly appointed Captain of the Santa Maria.
    She stowed away on the Spirit of the Stars, a cruise ship that left from one of the moons of Jupiter, and mysteriously vanished, only to reappear at a point in deep space two years later. (It is confirmed that during this passage of time, only an estimated 20-30 days passed on the ship itself) After being rescued from the ship by the crew of the Rhino, she decided to stick around seeing as how they had connections to a lot of places she could hide, and she had connections to a lot of places they'd like to be seen. It was a good arrangement to say the least.

Nathaniel "Tuck" Tucker (Earthling - Captain - Vanishing Point)
    Captain Tucker is a black ops military officer serving within the IFC. He's about 47 years old, a decorated veteran, and his name is mysteriously sparse across most intelligence databases due to the nature of his missions. He heads the IFC unit "Strategic Placement and Observation" (SPO for short) which is similar to early 20th century Earth CIA or KGB type organizations. The SPO does work that typically doesn't end up in the hall of records. Tucker was organizing a coup of the Neptune prison gang system while Warren and Matt were inside serving time.
    Tucker approached the two and offered them early release in exchange for helping to "relieve" the current head of the colony gang from his title. One simple assassination later (made to look like a power struggle from within the gang lower ranks), the two were out of prison and back into the world. While Captain Tucker couldn't formally reinstate them into the service, he was able to work out an arrangement. Warren and Matt would have their records erased and would be given a ship with free reign in exchange for the occasional off the books assignment for the SPO.
    That ship was the Rhino, one of the biggest pieces of shit to ever float through space. However after extensive modding, it's a slightly more polished piece of shit, retrofitted with a high impact gravity tether, a set of port and aft mounted ion cannons, and more importantly, a short list of clean ID scan plates listing it as one of seven IFC colony cargo ships at any given time. The Rhino may look like a small bulk transport cruiser, but it can maneuver with the best of heavy fighters in a pinch, and was recently installed with a new Glassen model IFC-XR18-B "Extended Range" J-K Field engine which gives it longer run time under above limit conditions.

Monty and R.A.R.E. (Artificial Intelligence - Support - The Rhino)
    Monty (short for Monitor, a nickname given by Matt and Warren) and R.A.R.E. (Repair And Rescue Engineer) are two prototype artificial intelligence assistants assigned to the Rhino. Monty was originally installed to keep tabs on the crew and report any AWOL behavior directly to Captain Tucker, but he was quickly modified to remove all traces of source programming save for a dummy script which sends a detailed "Green" report to SPO command once a month. Captain Tucker is well aware of this modification and let it slide. RARE was originally not an artificial intelligence, but rather an android with a very specific program set for rescue and basic ship maintenance. He was also modified, this time to the negative feedback of Captain Tucker, and given a sister version of the Monty A.I. programming making him effectively a member of the crew.

Locations:
    The Rhino (Ship - Modified Transport Class)
    The Rhino is a small bulk transport vessel. It has a front view command deck that seats three (captain, and two control chairs), five general crew living quarters, a captain's cabin, a small mess area, a small holding brig, an engine room, maintenance tunnels (mostly wiring and pipe work), an observation/meditation pod, two gun pods that can be remotely controlled, three airlock docks, two escape pods and one shuttle that seats three comfortably, and the cargo storage was split in half with one part dry storage/vehicle dock and one half as a training/ready room.

PC-8 "Ward 8" (Prison Colony - Neptune)
    Ward 8, as it's affectionately called by its residents, is a prison colony on Neptune. With a freezing climate and atmosphere primarily comprised of Helium, Hydrogen, and Methane, it's a very unstable environment, which makes escape all but impossible, and very improbable. It remains under IFC control and is comprised of several connected "cells" which are a combination of internal atmosphere processors, sleeping quarters, and general living space.
    Aside from some mining gear and a small guard barracks off site, there is no weaponry to speak of on the colony. It currently houses an estimated seventy five thousand inmates. Both Warren and Matthew were both guests here for a time

Known Races (spacefaring):
    Earthlings (Exploratory/Nomadic race)
    The Earth as history remembers it is long since passed. Once the global population of Earth exceeded 15 billion the small, largely water based planet was no longer sustainable for prolonged life, so Human beings scattered to the stars on large world ships that housed hundreds of thousands, as well as creating settlements consisting of scattered colonies on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, and a colony on Mars.
    Humans are a artistic and technological race who have achieved great accomplishments after the creation of the Jones-Krauss field1 was invented which creates sustainable self-renewable power. Earth is now a dead rock much like the moon which orbits it.
    The Interstellar Fleet Command2 (IFC) is a largely socialist society run by a committee of seven (captains of the seven world ships called the "Seven Wonders3" who pass down the title of captain to whom they choose)

Khastraal (Scientific/Exploratory race)
    The Khastraal are not very different from humans other than base physical characteristics. Khastraal are a humanoid, bipedal, warm blooded carbon based species. They have a greenish-orange tint to their skin, a natural occurance based on evolutionary traits from the radiation of their twin star system, which is comprised of four habitable planets. They also have outposts on seven moons which are primarily used for research, spaceports, docking, and mining of minerals and other natural resources.
    Average Khastraal height is 1.89m and average weight is 84kg. They are incredibly intelligent and possess low level psychic/empathic abilities coupled with an acute sense of awareness to their surroundings and attention to detail. They have an average lifespan of 140 years. Their diet consists mainly of complex proteins and they show no issues digesting Earth based cuisine to a point that they've become favorable to Earth dishes since first contact.
    The Khastraal were the first species to make contact with the Earth system and have since praised humanity on its creative and artistic endeavors although they remain disappointed that Earthlings have not advanced further technologically compared to other species after first contact with their kind.
    Khastraal are fond of ceremony and are generally a peaceful species. They are governed by a largely democratic society and have been without any serious war or conflict for over two millennia.

Donau (Civilian/Mercenary race)
    The Donau are a reptilian race, cold blooded, notable by a face closely resembling that of a bearded dragon. This led to them receiving the moniker of Dragons, a nickname they were given affectionately by the IFC.
    Due to their cold blooded nature and a need to stay warm, they prefer to remain in their heated environment suits most of the time and between carrying no noticeable odor due to lack of sweat glands and their low dietary requirements regarding food and water (low water needs, vegetarian diet mostly met through common fruits and vegetables coupled with supplemental vitamins) they're a favorite of all species for interstellar crewman ship, making them a mostly nomadic species. Donau average height is 1.68m and average weight is 59kg. Their average lifespan is upwards of 230 years, generally living twice as long as the average Khastraal or Earthling.
    Donau have four arms that operate completely independent of each other, and they do not possess ears in a traditional sense. They "hear" by detecting sound waves as vibrations on their skin, which coincidentally is highly sensitive and gives them extremely advanced reflexes. They can see in the night and at great distances and because of this they are often employed as scouts or firearms support.
    Donau do have a localized star system, but as stated previously they are mostly nomadic. Their government is primarily based on various tribal factions not unlike early Native American races. Each faction has their own set of laws and customs and they are spread across two planets and four moons. While they are not a savage species or overly aggressive, they do have violent tendencies that arise in their later years and they will prefer a more reclusive lifestyle at this point.

Shran Jau (Labor/Defense race)
    The Shran Jau are an intriguing species. It's often wondered if they were a natural evolution of their hostile environment or the creation of a greater species long since passed. They are composed of a dense outer layer of skin impervious to both small arms fire and extreme heat and cold, and to the best working knowledge they do not breathe oxygen, but rather process energy from an internal organ that slowly dissolves over the course of 60 years, which is their average lifespan. Based on this knowledge, it is confirmed that they can survive in deep space without an environment suit for an indefinite amount of time. Shran Jau range in height from 2.1 to 2.7m and weigh an impressive 154kg to 213kg.
    The Shran Jau home world is the furthest planet from a dying star, which creates an extremely cold environment with no real atmosphere. It's essentially a transit hub for those wishing to remain hidden from sight or to recruit the Shran Jau for ship assignment.
    Shran Jau are just below average human intelligence, and their ships seem to be specifically made to cater to this fact, having very little in the way of maintenance and support needs. However, due to prolonged contact with other species over the last millennia their ability to maintain mechanical and technical systems has improved remarkably. They are still primarily employed as a security and military force, typically the frontal assault to a Donau backed artillery. While not an overly hostile species, their defense response is considerable and there is no known knowledge of a successful attempt to conquer their planet from both Donau and Khastraal recorded history.
    Based on markings and limited studies of the surface it seems as though another species once lived on their home world, but the planets unique environment proves to be too harsh for further studies from any known space faring race. Their government is seemingly based in religion and worship of a higher being. They agree to work on interstellar ships in the hope that they will one day uncover the answers of their creation.

Nattrun (Limited Knowledge/Hostile race)
    The Nattrun are a combination of ghost story and legend among most races. Some say they are the oldest and first intelligent species in the galaxy, while others say they are an abomination and a failed technological experiment. What is known for certain is that an ancient species, presumably named the Nattrun, developed either a true artificial intelligence or possibly through technological advancement placed what can only be considered their "souls" into an electromagnetic wavelength.
    These "souls" can inhabit machinery and control it for an indefinite amount of time. There has been no first contact with any species and the Nattrun that did not end in violence. They seem to only search the galaxy and destroy what they find. The Nattrun operate from a scattered fleet of world ships and possess robotic avatars for ground combat. They have been known to cause ships to cease function entirely leading to the death of entire crews and are rumored to have wiped out several small colonies across the stars. There is no known home world or central location for the Nattru at this time.
    Occasionally a machine implated with Nattrun intelligence will dock at a space port and it is immediately destroyed. This is due to a historic and catastrophic event on a Khastraal far outpost where the Khastraal scientists attempted to dissect and study a Nattrun, only to have it call out to the neighboring Khastraal ships which then destroyed the base and most of the colony.
    They are extremely intelligent, at the top of any known space faring species and are classified as highly aggressive. Any and all dealings with the Nattrun are considered invaluable knowledge and must be reported to all species immediately.

1 The Jones-Krauss field is a self sustaining and replicating power supply that was mostly a creation born out of accident. Just the smallest field, upon creation, can grow in size to power any source required of it. Extensive cooling is required to keep the field stable at all times. If the field ruptures, it creates a singularity upon the point of rupture and will eat itself, along with anything that exists within the radius of its powered reach. (I.E. a J-K field that ruptures on a ship will eat itself, along with the ship, before dissipating)
    2 The Interstellar Fleet Command is the bulk of the Earth population housed on seven world ships. It was created during the great migration of the Earth population from the planet's surface over a period of four decades while the planet slowly died after most natural resources had been depleted.
    3 The Seven Wonders are the primary world ships of the IFC, comprised of the European Union ships the Santa Maria (named after Columbus' ship) and the Fierté des Rois (the "Pride of Kings"), the Japanese ship Mika ("New Moon") and the Chinese ship Wei Zhou (loosely translated as "Mighty Boat"), the African ship Khwezi ("Bright Morning Star"), the South American ship Miranda ("The Admired Place"), and lastly the United States ship Great Hope.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    I'm hoping to have a 30 page comic that's readable and hopefully inked but not coloured or shaded. I've layed out 7 pages with drawings, some of the panels aren't exactly where I want them to be yet, I'll probably post them pre inking to get some crits...if that's allowed/I have time under this deadline.

My comic is called "Gladiators". Abe Lincoln and Ben Franklin get transported somewhen in time to fight as gladiators against other combatants chosen by a 20 year old video game addict.

• Options
    That sounds pretty goddam awesome AC

• Options
    Thanks, hopefully it turns out well! Yours sounds like it should be good too.

• Options
    If any of you guys are considering print sometime in the future it may be a good Idea to make a template and look up comic printing sizes. Obviously these are going to be first passes on something and probably need work before you would want to send it to print, but setting it up now might make your life easier.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    From what I've seen, 6.625" x 10.25" with a 0.125" bleed on all sides seems to be the norm.

Mynt on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    ugh... I hate choosing fonts

Mynt on
  • Options
    I had surgery today and I'm still in the hospital.

My goal is 60-100 layouts, but my schedule for getting them done will probably be sporadic as I recover.

• Options
    First (and easiest) page inked!

IcSKy.jpg

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    God speed you all! I will be seeing you on the otherside (but in the traditional novel category) hopefully. Day one was easier than I expected so... *crosses fingers*

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Here's the first three pages of script done. I'm going to try and knock out the 30 pages, then do the layouts, and finish out the month with as many finished pages as possible.
    Page 1
    Two panels
    1 - Ext. space
    A large panel, roughly 75% of the page, showing a vast, black sea of stars in the distance
    Editor (note) - This is space...
    2 - Ext. space
    A smaller panel, wide, the remaining 25% of the page, with a small cutaway to the Rhino travelling through space.
    Editor (note) - ...space is a shithole
    Page 2
    Five panels
    1 - Int. Rhino
    Warren is asleep, his head resting on a pillow
    2 - Int. Rhino
    Warren's eyes start to open, as he looks to the left, and a small bedside stand is now in view, with a display (flashing), a small cup of water, and a wrist communicator on it.
    SFX - alert, Alert, ALERT
    3 - Int. Rhino
    Close up on the bedside stand. The wrist communicator and the glass are floating, water floating out of the glass in little bubbles. The artificial gravity has been deactivated.
    SFX (display) - Artificial gravity is no longer active...
    4 - Int. Rhino
    Warren is floating above his bed now, looking disgruntled
    Warren (thought) - I hate this ship...
    5 - Ext. space
    The ship has now come to a complete stop, floating listlessly through space.
    Warren (thought - coming from the ship) - ...HATE
    Page 3
    Seven panels
    1 - Int. Rhino
    Warren, still floating, reaches for the communicator floating beside him
    Warren - Rare?
    2 - Int. Rhino
    Warren, floating closer to the ceiling, a little hunched over, holds the communicator in one hand, speaking into it.
    Warren - Rare!?
    3 - Cutaway panel, no border
    A slighlt glimpse at a robots head, bionic eye closed, as if he's sleeping
    4 - Int. Rhino
    The robot (rare) is suspended by a few power cables, floating in his stasis nook. His eye jots open with an exclamation point beside it
    SFX (booming voice coming from the comm) - R.A.R.E. !
    Editor (note) Repair And Rescue Engineer (arrow pointing to the robot)
    5 - Int. Rhino
    Rare springs to life, head cocked to the side, looking confused
    Rare - Yeah boss!?
    6 - Int. Rhino
    Warren, his head just hitting the ceiling, angrily screaming into the wrist comm now attached to his wrist, with a little hologram of rare displaying from it.
    Warren (yelling) - Why the FUCK am I floating!?
    Warren (soft panel, small text, after the yelling) - ow (coming from where he hit his head)
    7 - Int. Rhino
    Rare races down the hallway, hovering just a couple feet above the floor, at full speed
    Rare - On it!
    Page 3
    7 panels (5-7 have a small connected panel (6) between them)
    1 - Int. Rhino
    Matthew, groggy, rubbing his face with his hands, starts to wake up as Warren speaks to him on a display window
    Warren - Matt! You awake!?
    Matt - Sort of? What's with all the noise?
    2 - Int. Rhino
    Matt, looking to the side, as a water bottle and bottle of pills floats up to his eye level, the water and pills floating off in different directions.
    Warren - Are. You. Floating?
    Matt (looking around) - Seems that way...
    3 - Int. Rhino
    Matt floats to the doorway, his hands holding each side of the door, starting to peek his head out to the main hallway of the ship.
    Warren (from the display off panel) - Alright, meet Rare in the engine room and-
    Matt (cutting Warren off) - Yeah yeah, I'm on it. I'm-
    Matt (looking up noticing what's coming toward him, extended drop word bubble) - ...shit
    4 - Int. Rhino
    Rare is hurdling down the hallway looking panicked
    Rare (yelling) - LOOK OUT!
    SFX (under panels 3-4) - BOOM!
    5 - Int. Rhino
    Rare collides with Matt, sending both of them crashing against a wall of the ship
    6 - Int. Rhino
    Close up of Matt's elbow hitting a button against the wall which shuts off the alarm, restoring gravity
    7 - Int. Rhino
    Warren, still floating in his cabin
    SFX (comm) - Gravity Restored
    Warren - Dammit...
    SFX (under panels 5-7)
    WHAM!

• Options
    The setup from the above pages is basically that when a ship is flagged down from an SOS signal, but is travelling through hyperspace, essentially what happens is that the ship's artificial gravity is knocked out, which sets off alerts on the ship causing it to come to a full stop, at which point the ships crew has to get up, see the alarm, and then get the SOS signal.

I hope that makes sense, or at least I hope it will when it's explained in the next few pages.

Essentially book one of the Vac is a zombies in space story. It centers around the Spirit of the Stars, a cruise liner that went through an early warp transport and never came out the other side. It was gone for two years when suddenly it just appeared out in deep space. Only about 20 days passed on the Spirit itself, and Matt and Warren are sent in by Captain Tucker to investigate before one of the other species gets involved with a detailed search and rescue.

When Matt, Fysp, and Warren board the ship, the only survivors they find are Karah and a few red shirts, and a metric fuckton of what are essentially zombies.

It's basically the origin story of how Fysp, Matt, Warren, Monty and Rare, and Karah kind of team up.

The book is what I'm calling Scott PIlgrim meets Firefly, with a little BSG thrown in for good measure.