Options

[NatCoWriMo] 30 PAGES 30 DAYS, DOING IT NOW

• Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    Awhile back I bought some comic book boards from a local art store.
    https://store.opusartsupplies.com/sagro/storefront/store.php?mode=showproductdetail&product=55153
    I think pages are double what you would draw them at. I went ahead and measured out a page incase anyone needs the dims.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Working this weekend, just going to sketch, mostly, see what is fitting where.
    page1_rough.jpg
    page2_rough.jpg

• Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    Did you scan in a comic illustration board? Or did you fish up a template somewhere?

I ended up making guides for a master psd based on the measurements i researched.

• Options
    just ended up using this guide:
    http://geekywhiteguy.deviantart.com/art/Comic-Book-Board-Template-192036115

so I could get started. I may make my own, eventually.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I got 5 pages loosely thumbnailed. 6 if you count the cover page haha. I still need to concept what my characters/dragon are going to look like, but at least I've got the ball rolling. I hope that I haven't screwed myself by doing it this way!

HNI_0040.jpg
    HNI_0041.jpg

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Shit i totally missed this! looks fun!

• Options
    Looking great everyone! Keep it up :D

Here's pg 2 inked... Trying to get to page 4 by the end of tonight.

bQ4dT.jpg

• Options
    Nice! I cant believe you are already inking, I still have so much to thumbnail!!

• Options
    Thanks!!!

I spent October doing all my pre-production, cause I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time during the week to work on pages. I needed to leave myself as much time as possible to be able to make the deadline.

• Options
    Got pg 3 inked but no lettering as I don't have my font here. I didn't get to page 4 so I'll be doing that tomorrow as well as coloring all the pages I've posted so far.

9gM4U.jpg

It takes me roughly 4 hours to go blank page to inked page (with layouts done previously). That's something for me to think about when planning my schedule.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Tried to knock out this 2 page spread today, but couldn't quite get there. Sorry in advance about the size

dXXpR.jpg

I don't know where I'll have time to actually color pages... I'm still gonna try for it, but I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off

Mynt on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'll have the next six scripted pages up today, I worked on them over the weekend. I'm going to try to have all 30 pages done by this coming weekend so I can start layouts next Monday.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    I'm on page 4, I'll post them after todays progress

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Is it me or is that girl chasing AoB?

• Options
    hahaha... She's really just trying to catch the car. The guy is just an "extra". I have such a hard time drawing extras, maybe I should throw fourmers (is that a word?) in the backgrounds of my comic.

• Options
    I believe the politically correct term is forum enthusiast. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to this weekend, but I'm going to go hard this week.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    The thread title should be Production Time! I'm drawing three pages tonight :)

• Options
    edited November 2012
    changed the title, I need to pick my pace up and finish these pages.

page3_rough.jpg
    page4_rough.jpg
    page5_rough.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    Here's page one, I'll either have to do some creative scanning or take these sheets someplace once I get to that point.

gpage01.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Got torn away from doing work the past 2 days due to the election and my apartment needing to be cleaned. Seriously... we found a tupperware in which the contents could make for it's own 30 page comic. Anywho... I decided to torture myself some more with the spread I posted earlier by adding a mid-ground. When I'm done, that whole area will be filled with buildings and houses, sorta favela styled.

0wfb6.jpg

I'll keep coming back to it till it's complete. I also finished inking page 6:

JyJa0.jpg

Right now, I'm 2 pages behind schedule, but I'm hoping to make it up on the weekend.

Mynt on
  • Options
    I'll be attempting to go into trurbo mode this weekend.

That spread is looking really awesome, mynt.

• Options
    Thanks Iruka... I saw your post on Tumblr earlier... You can't start the movement, then fall short! We're counting on you!

I came up with some good additions to my story and I'm trying to wedge them in. One of them is that there exists more than one mask in the world, each taking you somewhere different. As a result, I'm designing more masks. Here's some concepts based on the spider. I'm trying to keep a similar silhouette between the masks, but I'm really liking the open bottoms:

kX9L5.jpg

• Options
    I'll be alright, I'm marathoning this weekend. I may not have all fully inked pages, but I'll hit 30.

I like 11, 7, and 5

• Options
    Cool... It's hard to believe we're already 1/3rd the way through the month already...

11 was also on my short list... Did a quick draft on it:

bBZQA.jpg

ubekF.jpg

I'll probably develop the other masks after NatCoWriMo, as they won't show up in the first 30 pages.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    The good thing about this is it does put a lens onto how quickly your mind will start pulling way out ahead of where you actually need to be. Its like "yeah and in 2 chapters from now I'll-" and Im like "woah lets focus on two pages from now.

Anyways, I slowed down a bit on page 7 to make some choices about the other two main characters designs.

Also, theres probably going to be a page with an establishing shot and another bit of text.

page6_rough.jpg
    page7_rough.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    I too like eleven.

• Options
  • Options
    Looking good @Iruka. You prolly know this already, but those guys are a little big to fit in that jeep. Loving your character designs, btw!

I only got 2 pages inked this weekend and I still need to fix some things that are bugging me. I really need to color or at least hit them with value... I'm saving the dialogue & bubbles until I do.

CINRL.jpg

rLEk3.jpg

How's everyone else doing? haven't seen too many updates :/

• Options
    Mynt wrote: »
    Looking good @Iruka. You prolly know this already, but those guys are a little big to fit in that jeep. Loving your character designs, btw!

How's everyone else doing? haven't seen too many updates :/

Haha, yeah I'll fix it. I Noticed as I was working on it, but re-sizing the characters and the car wont be a big deal, they are on different layers. I just need to decide how to frame them. I realized that I'm not very creative with panel layouts, something that I had forgotten since I haven't made a comic in a while.

and yeah, @MeltingDoll @Earthwormadam @AgentColeman @Lyrium where are you guys at?

• Options
    Page 9... One of the children going through his naming ritual and putting on the mask for the first time. It's sort of a rite of passage so his parents are there to participate. This is one of my favorite pages.

zySB0.jpg

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm still in this. I stopped posting the script pages and fired up the tablet for layouts, so I'm going to try to dump 10-15 of them this weekend.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    So many comics! :^:

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Went ahead and uploaded the first page layout instead of waiting for the weekend to do a bunch.

I'm not happy with panel 2, but I think the rest of them work fine.

edit: it helps if I can remember my own domain names

vlp1.png

amateurhour on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I've been doing some pages but without internet at my house I can't post. Even when I look at the forum on my phone it won't let me post :(
    Everyone's stuff is looking good though!

Edit:
    See, I have proof!

comicmaking.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    I focused so hard on drawing my main character as an adult, I forgot that I'll be spending a significant amount of time with her as a child... So I spent the last couple days trying work out her design, which was a nice break from churning out pages. Did some quick colors on this one:

HdCQL.jpg

Her outfit won't be as it is here, I just needed something workable, and kept some elements of her costume as an adult

• Options
    Shes cute!

I'm on page 15, But I'll save it all off for posting tomorrow.

• Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Mynt, an easy cheat for making kids look younger is putting their features lower on the face. Digging the first person looking-at-the-mask and closeup-of-mask-on-face-without-panel-borders shots, by the way.

AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    JordanLCookJordanLCook Chicago,ILRegistered User regular
    Damn, guess I missed the boat on this one, but I'm loving the work I'm seeing this thread!

tumblr_mday15f1tS1rt4dl5o1_250.jpg
  • Options
    Ahhh... That did the trick toji! I've heard of that before, but I was scared to push it that far. Thanks!!

• Options
    I had a random thought the other day, while doing non-comic related tasks, that I think will really translate well to the opening pages of this comic! I'm excited because, as far as I know, I haven't seen layouts like these in a comic before.

Going to make some new pages and alter some of my thumbnails. I'm hoping to have the 30 pages sketched out by the end of the month. I would've liked to have them inked, but at this point I think that's going to be near-impossible!