Options

[NatCoWriMo] 30 PAGES 30 DAYS, DOING IT NOW

124»

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I'm glad you are still on the horse, ewa!

• Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    Bleh... Not spending more time on pre-production is coming back to bite me in the ass.

• Options
    keep at it, mynt, I believe in you!

• Options
    edited November 2012
    @earthwormadam - It seems that I always get my best ideas when I'm away from my comic. Usually when I don't have any way to record it either. The universe conspires against me!

I'm looking forward to see your work! I hella liked your concept.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Some highlights for today... I'll do a massive dump once I feel like I've earned it.

Redesign of the one of the main characters. I really need to draw things 2-4 times before I really get a feel for them. I should seriously stop keeping 1st drafts of things. The deadline looms though! I'm just glad I only had a few panels that I had to redraw to get his new design in. He's a very serious kid:
    pquQ5.png

Emotion sequence followed by a wide shot showing the main cathedral. I'm really enjoying drawing the cityscapes, but they are quite time consuming. Having my girlfriend record me jumping down from a seating position was fun to try to capture the pose.
    s0gNv.jpg

Just made a new batch of tea, so I'll be drawing more into the night until I can't go any more, then repeat tomorrow. Having my car break down is kinda screwing me, as now I have to allot 2 extra hours per day for my commute, which has blown a hole in my weekday drawing time, making my weekends even more valuable.

Mynt on
  • Options
    page12_rough.jpg
    page13_rough.jpg
    page14_rough.jpg
    page15_rough.jpg
    page16_rough.jpg

My main goal as this point and at least go back and make sure everything reads (and, of course, get to 30). Finished pages will have to be in Post-production-December.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Mynt, your inks are lookin' really nice and clean! Be careful though when cramming figures into a panel. For example, the girl doing the salute panel, her arm seems extra short so that you could fit it within the constraints. Maybe by just having more of the arm off panel would make it not seem so short.

Iruka, I cant wait to see what you're coming up with. I'd comment further, but I have a hard time comprehending other peoples rough pages. I'd post my pages, but they are indecipherable chicken scratches. I'll surely post em when I get them to a readable state!!

I'm up to 15 rough layouts, and I think I'll def have 30 or more by the end of the month. The idea of having a finished full scale comic is suddenly very exciting, and I'm committed to finishing it. Eventually.

I also think my comic is going to be spanish. The dialogue is going to be super extremely minimal, so it's mostly a stylistic decision. Maybe MT or somebody can help me translate a few things?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Ahh... thanks! Yeah, I think it's less me trying to cram things in the panel, and more me not drawing her arm the proper length. I'll go back and fix it later.

• Options
    More update & concept stuff. It's starting to look like, barring a miracle, I won't be able to ink 30 pages by the deadline, so I'm gonna shoot to just have 30 sketched, and ink as much as I can.

A "Traveller". These guys are specially appointed by the church as the only people allowed to venture out of the parish and into the city for supplies that the community cannot provide on their own. Generally thought to be the most pious among the people, as they have to be among city folk for extended periods of time yet remain faithful to their religion.
    1hQWN.png

The last page I'll be inking for a while. Our heroine meets a familiar Traveller back from his ventures into the city. Her family operates a small store, so they tend to see travellers more often than others. It is generally considered good luck to see a traveller, and wherever they visit they are usually offered gifts or a meal.
    ro0pT.jpg

ACTION!!! Why would he hit a defenseless child?! What's going on?! Ah... we'll have to find out later I guess :P
    d6NMk.jpg

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I WILL FINISH MY COMIC!
    (but not for November...)

Iruka, thanks so much for making this project, because even though I didn't finish on time, the comic is started so it WILL be finished in the near future. This thread was a much-needed kick in the butt to get started, so I think it's safe to say we're all super grateful for that :)
    I'm so excited to see everyone's comics.

lyrium on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I've got two fully inked pages done, so I'm expecting to have five finished by the end of the month. I didn't do any pre-production work so I spent the bulk of November scribbling layout pages in a notebook and writing scripts.

I'm keeping with this through December though, I will have an f'ing comic book done by February.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    I'm on page 26, though the last 5 are pretty rough and scribbly, but I'll be trying to hit my 30 tonight. I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't get past this rough layout phase, but I'm still glad I set my goals high. Instead of falling short with like half a chapter, I'll have the whole intro planned out and ready to go.

I really appreciate those of you who took this journey with me, and I'll try to adjust the rules for next year to better suit us, and we'll have tons of advice for others!

• Options
    Lesson Learned: Leaving no margin for error is an error...

I've been sick the past few days, so I haven't really updated much. I'm at 30 pages layed out. 22 pages sketched. 13 of those inked. This project was massively educational, but for the moment, I want to dig back into pre-production and script writing to give my story the attention I feel it deserves. With the deadline, I ended up having to make some snap decisions that I'm not 100% comfortable with, so I wanna go back into them to make sure. I DO want to finish inking and coloring some of the pages (the 2 page spread for instance), because I'm sad that I didn't get to finish them.

I'll be continuing making the comic, and hope to be able to show you guys full pages by January. With the knowledge I've gained from this project, I can now form a realistic timeline for putting out pages, thus figuring out an update schedule.

So, thanks again @iruka for starting NatCoWriMo. I don't know what the goals should be adjusted to in order to keep it challenging. Maybe something like 15 Full pages (inked & colored) or 30 half pages? I don't think it should be too easy, as I feel learning how to sacrifice in order to achieve should be a core theme. I can't wait to do this again!

• Options
    Mynt, I feel like you are the true champion of the project, and I'm really glad you stepped up to the plate.

For me, the challenge of doing the layouts was daunting enough, which was evident from day 1 when it was time to go and I had nothing written. I think a goal of 30 sketched pages would be pretty reasonable in the future. I knew I was never going to get to inks, but had I planned better in the beginning, and stayed at a page a day (I didn't do anything over thanksgiving) I maybe could have made these pages legible to anyone other than me. I like the challenge and the idea of making a commitment that is maybe slightly outside of your reach. It makes me feel like an animation student again, which was always about pitching projects that no human could complete.

For posterity, it would be cool for you to post up whatever you did get done, @mynt, even if its all going to change in the near future. Just to mark that you did, indeed, commit to this challenge.

So, Mine really starts to break down in the 20-somthings, and thats because I did the last 10 layouts in the last 3 days, like a true procrastinator. This taught me alot about my process, because I always figured that when I was ready to write a comic, I could just plan as I go, but as I hit the end of this arc, with nothing planned out, I realized I hadn't actually found the meat of the very end of the scene. Doing better layouts will enable me to better say to myself "Is something interesting happening on each page? am I giving the reader enough time to understand what is going on?" More than the story itself, these are the sort of questions that help me figure out where my plot needs to be.

Its alot more difficult than I planned to not be resorting to sight gags and sillyness, which is where most of my limited comic experience is, or extremely quick arcs where I'm not trying to set up any back story or explain a universe. I will be curious to see, as I start to finish these pages so you can actually read them, how my story telling is actually stacking up with my ideas.

Page1
    Page2
    Page3
    Page4
    Page5
    Page6
    Page7
    Page8
    Page9
    Page10
    Page11
    Page12
    Page13
    Page14
    Page15
    Page16
    Page17
    Page18
    Page19
    Page20
    Page21
    Page22
    Page23
    Page24
    Page25
    Page26
    Page27
    Page28
    Page29
    Page30
    Page31
    Page32

• Options
    For sure... I'll organize them and drop the pages in here when I get off of work. Looking at it now, though it seems I only had 11 pages inked instead of 13... As I named some of my files "lineart" when they were just sketches. For shame... :P

One of the unexpected things that I noticed was that even with layouts done, when I got to the sketch phase, I ended up adding or subtracting certain panels, or even adding a whole page in some cases. With so many changes, my layouts and script end up being way off compared to my actual pages. Having limited experience in long form sequential storytelling, it's really hard to understand how much time I need to say something without seeing it first. Knowing that, I think that script writing, layout and sketching should be done almost simultaneously... each informing and adapting the other. I'm not sure if chapter 0 (I've decided it's a prologue) of my story really ends on page 30 anymore... but at least I know how it ends.

@iruka - the thing you mention about having something happen on each page is something I'm struggling to be aware of as well. Especially if you are planning to release on the web. I think Kris Straub mentioned something to this effect when he was streaming earlier this year and it kind of struck home with me. The feeling that, in a webcomic, that you need to have something interesting happen on each update can make it seem like you can never have a "lull" in the story. Which kind of sucks, because stories don't always work like this. Sometimes you need panels of talking heads to pust the story along, and that's not always interesting.

That being said, I tried to look at each page as a whole and see where it ended. Do we know more than we did at the start of the page? Or did it want you to know more? I tried to add some finality, foreshadowing or cliffhanging at the end of each page, so they either felt like a comma or a period when the reader finishes it (even though you guys can't tell because I haven't dropped in the dialogue yet).

There were many more things I learned with this project, mostly about myself, and the way that I work. I'm the type of person that really has to bang his head against something before learning it, even if I can understand the concept. So, while I'm super disappointed that I didn't reach my goal, I am glad that I participated. It felt like a comic bootcamp, training me for the real thing.

Lastly, I hope you all keep pushing forward with your projects... I really really really really wanna see everyone else's stories. It would be like an online-only version of a PA:AC anthology, and hopefully we can get more people to suffer with us next year!

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I'm impressed as hell with what you guys managed to accomplish in that short time! I got about as much done as I figured I would, which is about half of my pages, only in rough form. Unlike a lot of my stuff though, I still feel the need to continue pushing forward, so thanks for giving me prods here and there, to get me to this point.

I think a big hurdle with finishing this comic is, I really didn't plan out the end. I wanted it to be fairly cliche, with the boy rescuing the girl and what not, but I really need to figure out where to go with this after he finds the girl and leads her through the dragons insides to eventual freedom. I'll prob tighten up the pages I have to this point, and then start a thread for input somewhere down the line!

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I know this is late, but I'm still working on it throughout the year so I wanted to post what I had. I've got another 10 pages storyboarded and I've started work on page 3. I want to get 10 pages done by the end of the year if possible and finish the first 30 by early February once I get a better rhythm.

I still need a font, working on just making my own.

vac-page-1.png

vac-page-2.png

are YOU on the beer list?