• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    doesnt everyone have a PS2 by now? the numbers are always so crazy
    Most people have owned 3 or 4 by now.

I'm lucky.

I'm only on my second.

edt: And do those numbers count the slim?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    BTP wrote: »
    You seriously need to read what else he says later on! :lol:

Oh my gosh...
    I DO NOT WANT NEITHER MS NOR NINTENDO LEADING THE INDUSTRY FOR THEY ARE BAD NEWS.

emot-psyduck.gif

Who... who says this?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SharpieSharpie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    doesnt everyone have a PS2 by now? the numbers are always so crazy

My brother has had 4 PS2s.

Sharpie on
    pasig.jpgPW2.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Obligatory 'but NPDs only count for 60% of retailers and don't include Wal-Mart' comment.

Out of interest, can anyone remember a time when there's been such a significant split in the market?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ho-leee shit. I don't think anyone could have predicted this. And it looks like even Europe aren't going to be able to bail sony out at this point, given that they don't even seem to be able to fill their preorders here in the UK. Every game retailer I've passed in the last couple of months has been desperately trying to force people into preordering ridiculous £550+ bundles (that's over $1000 for you yanks), often resorting to outright lies in the process, and even attempting to shaft the consoles that do sell! (check out 2nd link):

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/03/europe-at-war-horsham-game-has-gone-mad.html

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/03/europe-at-war-bluewater-game-resorts-to.html

Still, on the plus side, price drop, eh? I actually genuinely hope there is one.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As Sony's was posted earlier:

Nintendo PR

According to independent sales data released by the NPD Group, the Wii(TM) from Nintendo was America’s best-selling video game console in the U.S. again in February, with consumers snapping up virtually every system available in America totaling more than 335,000 units.
    Only one game system sold more in February, the portable Nintendo DS(TM), with sell-through of 485,000 units.
    Together, Nintendo systems represented 54 percent of all hardware sales in February, more than those of all other manufacturers combined.
    “We’re gratified that the explosive appeal of Wii, in terms of both new players and new ways to play, has created unprecedented demand, substantially beyond supply,” says Reggie Fils-Aime, president, Nintendo of America. “But we also understand that there are hundreds of thousands of consumers still waiting to get their hands on the system so we continue to both ship more units to retail every week and work non-stop to build capacity.”
    Reports from households across the country indicate that Wii has become the centerpiece for weekend parties, a new method for improving athletic technique and losing weight, and a landmark product for generating cross-generational fun.
    The strength of Wii and Nintendo DS was also apparent in monthly software sales where three of the top four best-selling games for the month (Wii Play(TM) and The Legend of Zelda(R): Twilight Princess for Wii, and Diddy Kong(R) Racing DS for Nintendo DS) play exclusively on Nintendo systems. In addition, so far this year 10 of the top 20 best-selling games are exclusive for Nintendo hardware.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    is there an NPD like organization that keeps track of Europe? i dont think ive ever seen European sales data.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I know Kotaku posts European data from time to time, but I don't know where they get the figures from.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    well I always thought the PS2 defunct stuff was just blown out of proportion. I've had my PS2 forever with no problems (early model too). I only replaced it to get a slim ps2.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    well I always thought the PS2 defunct stuff was just blown out of proportion. I've had my PS2 forever with no problems (early model too). I only replaced it to get a slim ps2.
    It's also a decently priced console with a library bigger than congress'.

It's a combination of the two.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    No, it's not a combination of the two. You're taking limited anecdotal evidence and applying it to console sale numbers orders of magnitude larger in scope, resulting in a totally spurious conclusion.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    major_tom wrote: »
    Ho-leee shit. I don't think anyone could have predicted this. And it looks like even Europe aren't going to be able to bail sony out at this point, given that they don't even seem to be able to fill their preorders here in the UK. Every game retailer I've passed in the last couple of months has been desperately trying to force people into preordering ridiculous £550+ bundles (that's over $1000 for you yanks), often resorting to outright lies in the process, and even attempting to shaft the consoles that do sell! (check out 2nd link):

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/03/europe-at-war-horsham-game-has-gone-mad.html

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/03/europe-at-war-bluewater-game-resorts-to.html

Still, on the plus side, price drop, eh? I actually genuinely hope there is one.

Yeah, the situation in the UK is a little wierd, to be honest. Usually people go apeshit over anything Playstation branded, but not when it costs HALF A FUCKING GRAND.

Strange, that.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote: »
    No, it's not a combination of the two. You're taking limited anecdotal evidence and applying it to console sale numbers orders of magnitude larger in scope, resulting in a totally spurious conclusion.
    And you're terrorbyte.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

Yeah, the situation in the UK is a little wierd, to be honest. Usually people go apeshit over anything Playstation branded, but not when it costs HALF A FUCKING GRAND.

Strange, that.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/pics4/game-bluewater.jpg
    "Fully backwards compatible"
    :)

Couscous on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    is there an NPD like organization that keeps track of Europe? i dont think ive ever seen European sales data.

There are a few organisations that keep track of sales data but they are seperated by country (so there's seperate sales numbers for the UK, France, Germany, etc). Outside of press releases, there's no real way to tell how well games or consoles sell throughout all of Europe.

Anyway, I have a question, is the $500 PS3 very available in the US? I've heard people say they can't find one anywhere and I'm wondering if that's contributing to the sales figures.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Strange, that.

Remember that price comparison Sony did back in like November where they tried to make the PS3 out to be cheaper than the 360? Reminds me a bit of that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think there's an image macro in the 'verse that sums up how funny I'm finding the UK PS3 launch.

It's not that I want Sony to fail, they have the WipEout and Lemmings franchises so heaven forbid they stop making games, it's just really funny.

Having said that, I was a pretty staunch Dreamcast supporter during the PS2 launch, so maybe I'm just happy to see somebody else get the shitty end of the stick.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

There are a few organisations that keep track of sales data but they are seperated by country (so there's seperate sales numbers for the UK, France, Germany, etc). Outside of press releases, there's no real way to tell how well games or consoles sell throughout all of Europe.

Anyway, I have a question, is the $500 PS3 very available in the US? I've heard people say they can't find one anywhere and I'm wondering if that's contributing to the sales figures.

20070210.jpg

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote: »

Hi Terrorbyte.

I'm eager for your analysis.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wonder how the DS sales will look in April with the release of Pokemon.

This little system is going straight to the moon.

Graviija on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Nope, not that I've seen. And Sony seems to be sticking to their ratio of 80% 60GB and 20% 20GB. Sony should make more of those... then again, since Sony loses more money per 20GB sold than 60GB, maybe not.

Anyway, some thoughts...

The Wii being unavailable is NOT because of undersupply.
    The PS3 being available is NOT because of oversupply.

The unveiling of Home and LBP was a good move on Sony, but was it really good enough to reverse the slump? My thought is that Joe Average (who doesn't listen to VG conferences) won't really care. Sony needs to do something big and attention getting quick.

Can the Wii keep up the high sales? Will the new Paper Mario provide enough of a sales/attention boost?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    I wonder how the DS sales will look in April with the release of Pokemon.

This little system is going straight to the moon.

I wonder what Wii sales would do if they actually made an RPG for the thing. I wonder why they refuse to do so...

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Strange, that.

Yeah, someone at that GAME really hasn't been paying attention. And will soon be in trouble with trading standards, if there's any justice.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I do believe PS3 sales will pick up since their well received showing at GDC... it remains to be seen how much momentum there will be, however.

That would be interesting to watch for, except that it would be tough to tell Home/LBP momentum apart from Motorstorm momentum, unless Motorstorm sells just five copies.

My opinion, though, is that any impact made by Home and LBP will be after they launch and create awareness outside of the hardcore community. Both announcements cemented my PS3 desire, but I'm still waiting for Ninja Gaiden Sigma and/or Heavenly Sword before buying one, and I'm part of the hardcore audience that is supposedly like pissing in the ocean when it comes to NPD.

Raughn on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Nope, not that I've seen. And Sony seems to be sticking to their ratio of 80% 60GB and 20% 20GB. Sony should make more of those... then again, since Sony loses more money per 20GB sold than 60GB, maybe not.

Anyway, some thoughts...

The unveiling of Home and LBP was a good move on Sony, but was it really good enough to reverse the slump? My thought is that Joe Average (who doesn't listen to VG conferences) won't really care. Sony needs to do something big and attention getting quick.

Can the Wii keep up the high sales? Will the new Paper Mario provide enough of a sales/attention boost?

I think the Wii might be fucked if some stellar software with broad appeal doesn't hit soon. Its got great hardware sales, to be sure, but it's software just isn't dominating the charts like the 360's is.

It's a damn good thing the console launched with Zelda, because honestly, there isn't anything else out there with a lot of meat to it (as in, not a minigame fest or shoddy port with tacked on controls). Poor software is going to start damaging the Wii's image soon, especially when the controls suck.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

[/cut]

So, you going to answer me or just post a penny arcade comic that refers to an interview that took place 2-3 months ago? Like I said, I've read at a few places (including maybe here) that they couldn't find a 20gig model. And as I'm not psychic I can't exactly tell the situation from the other side of the bloody planet, can I?

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I think the Wii might be fucked if some stellar software with broad appeal doesn't hit soon. It's got great hardware sales, to be sure, but it's software just isn't dominating the charts like the 360's is.

It's a damn good thing the console launched with Zelda, because honestly, there isn't anything else out there with a lot of meat to it (as in, not a minigame fest or shoddy port with tacked on controls).

Wii Sports.

Wii Play.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

[/cut]

So, you going to answer me or just post a penny arcade comic that refers to an interview that took place 2-3 months ago? Like I said, I've read at a few places (including maybe here) that they couldn't find a 20gig model. And as I'm not psychic I can't exactly tell the situation from the other side of the bloody planet, can I?

You can't take a hint?

Yes. They are available. Very.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I think the Wii might be fucked if some stellar software with broad appeal doesn't hit soon. It's got great hardware sales, to be sure, but it's software just isn't dominating the charts like the 360's is.

It's a damn good thing the console launched with Zelda, because honestly, there isn't anything else out there with a lot of meat to it (as in, not a minigame fest or shoddy port with tacked on controls).

Wii Sports.

Wii Play.
    That's not enough at all. The control is solid, but its still minigames. We need more adventures like Zelda. We need full games, stat.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    EZEZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought there where actually people in Canada. Do you Canadians not have any money or what?

EZ on
    psn: Fueler325
    Steam ID:
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It seems that both Sony and Nintendo are claiming a win with these sales figures:

(From BTP and Sporky)
    Sony wrote:
    With this increase, the PlayStation brand remained the number-one revenue driver for the month in the industry owning 38.5% of total sales.
    Nintendo wrote:
    Together, Nintendo systems represented 54 percent of all hardware sales in February, more than those of all other manufacturers combined.

So Sony is number one... and so is Nintendo. Everyone's a winner!

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Anyway, some thoughts...

I think the Wii might be fucked if some stellar software with broad appeal doesn't hit soon. Its got great hardware sales, to be sure, but it's software just isn't dominating the charts like the 360's is.

It's a damn good thing the console launched with Zelda, because honestly, there isn't anything else out there with a lot of meat to it (as in, not a minigame fest or shoddy port with tacked on controls). Poor software is going to start damaging the Wii's image soon, especially when the controls suck.
    I agree, and fortunately, SPM is coming soon. I assume that it'll sell well...Paper Mario 2 sold very well on the Cube, and Mario is always a strong brand. I have to assume it'll be a popular game.

Graviija on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

[/cut]

Er, I answered you. The $500 model isn't easily available.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

[/cut]

While I cannot confirm with certainty that the 20 gig models are rare, I have yet to see a 20 gig model on store shelves, and, like you, I have also read reports of people looking for one, but being unable to find it. So, it's all anecdotal, but there you go.

As for it contributing to low sales, that is possible. The only thing that makes me doubt it is that the two price points have been absent from Sony's marketing push. Joe Consumer might be waiting for a 20 gig model, except I'm not sure he knows it exists.

Raughn on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

[/cut]

Er, I answered you. The $500 model isn't easily available.

Oh bollocks, I didn't see your post. Sorry. ;-)

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Karf wrote: »

Wii Sports.

Wii Play.
    That's not enough at all. The control is solid, but its still minigames. We need more adventures like Zelda. We need full games, stat.

I'd like to blame Nintendo for all that game delaying they like to do... but where the fuck are the third parties? I see EA pumping out PS2-level shenanigans with pasted on motion controls left and right, but that is about it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Karf wrote: »

Wii Sports.

Wii Play.

I never said that they were the titles desgined to appeal to the average person who posts on Penny Arcade.

They have broad appeal , far beyond us. Way, way beyond that.

Pata on
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BTP wrote: »
    Game Boy Advance 136,000 > PlayStation 3 127,000

I'm sorry, but this just makes me crack a huge smile.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Graviija wrote: »

Anyway, some thoughts...

I agree, and fortunately, SPM is coming soon. I assume that it'll sell well...Paper Mario 2 sold very well on the Cube, and Mario is always a strong brand. I have to assume it'll be a popular game.

I'm sure Super Paper Mario will sell well, with established Nintendo fans. As for this new market Nintendo is trying to breech, I really don't know. It's got appeal with people who care about Mario games, and that is about the extent of it I think.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm sure Super Paper Mario will sell well, with established Nintendo fans. As for this new market Nintendo is trying to breech, I really don't know. It's got appeal with people who care about Mario games, and that is about the extent of it I think.

New Super Mario Bros has sold over 4 million.

I'm pretty sure Mario is rather popular with Nintendo's new market as well. ;)

Pata on