Options

February NPD Sales -- HOLY SHIT!

• Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    is there an NPD like organization that keeps track of Europe? i dont think ive ever seen European sales data.

There are a few organisations that keep track of sales data but they are seperated by country (so there's seperate sales numbers for the UK, France, Germany, etc). Outside of press releases, there's no real way to tell how well games or consoles sell throughout all of Europe.

Anyway, I have a question, is the $500 PS3 very available in the US? I've heard people say they can't find one anywhere and I'm wondering if that's contributing to the sales figures.

Nope, not that I've seen. And Sony seems to be sticking to their ratio of 80% 60GB and 20% 20GB. Sony should make more of those... then again, since Sony loses more money per 20GB sold than 60GB, maybe not.

Anyway, some thoughts...

The Wii being unavailable is NOT because of undersupply.
    The PS3 being available is NOT because of oversupply.

The unveiling of Home and LBP was a good move on Sony, but was it really good enough to reverse the slump? My thought is that Joe Average (who doesn't listen to VG conferences) won't really care. Sony needs to do something big and attention getting quick.

Can the Wii keep up the high sales? Will the new Paper Mario provide enough of a sales/attention boost?

I think the Wii might be fucked if some stellar software with broad appeal doesn't hit soon. Its got great hardware sales, to be sure, but it's software just isn't dominating the charts like the 360's is.

It's a damn good thing the console launched with Zelda, because honestly, there isn't anything else out there with a lot of meat to it (as in, not a minigame fest or shoddy port with tacked on controls). Poor software is going to start damaging the Wii's image soon, especially when the controls suck.
    I agree, and fortunately, SPM is coming soon. I assume that it'll sell well...Paper Mario 2 sold very well on the Cube, and Mario is always a strong brand. I have to assume it'll be a popular game.

And for the crazies like me out there, Kororinpa: Marble Mania hits later this month, and Bust-A-Move Bash sometime in April.

Edit: Wow, I was way off with the name. :lol:

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    SharpieSharpie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Neliwood wrote: »
    BTP wrote: »
    Game Boy Advance 136,000 > PlayStation 3 127,000

I'm sorry, but this just makes me crack a huge smile.

Me too. I love my GBA, and I don't think I would trade it for a PS3.

Sharpie on
    pasig.jpgPW2.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Karf wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »

I think the Wii might be fucked if some stellar software with broad appeal doesn't hit soon. It's got great hardware sales, to be sure, but it's software just isn't dominating the charts like the 360's is.

It's a damn good thing the console launched with Zelda, because honestly, there isn't anything else out there with a lot of meat to it (as in, not a minigame fest or shoddy port with tacked on controls).

Wii Sports.

Wii Play.
    That's not enough at all. The control is solid, but its still minigames. We need more adventures like Zelda. We need full games, stat.

I'd like to blame Nintendo for all that game delaying they like to do... but where the fuck are the third parties? I see EA pumping out PS2-level shenanigans with pasted on motion controls left and right, but that is about it.

The third parties took a while to jump on board. Most of them scoffed at the concept of the Wii and left Nintendo for dead... then E3 came and Nintendo shocked the hell out of everyone. "Holy shit, this is actually FUN?!" Third parties only became interested then, and iit's taking them a while to make decent games.

As for sales of Mario, don't discount the game yet... Mario has wide appeal with lots of casual gamers (moms and such), and New Super Mario Bros. sold bazillions on DS.

Edit: But of course, we're forgetting the main mystery this report has raised... who the hell had 480 Xboxen to sell?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    I'm sure Super Paper Mario will sell well, with established Nintendo fans. As for this new market Nintendo is trying to breech, I really don't know. It's got appeal with people who care about Mario games, and that is about the extent of it I think.

New Super Mario Bros has sold over 4 million.

I'm pretty sure Mario is rather popular with Nintendo's new market as well. ;)

Has it? I don't own a DS so I don't pay much attention to the numbers but that is pretty fucking impressive. You have to think Nintendo has taken notice. I wonder if that is what Super Paper Mario is all about....

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    EZ wrote: »
    I thought there where actually people in Canada. Do you Canadians not have any money or what?

Yeah... based on population, Canada should be averaging about 10% of US sales... it's more like 6-7% based on these figures.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    sonycowboy wrote:
    Platform LTD Numbers
    PlayStation 2 37.7M
    Game Boy Advance 35.4M
    Xbox 14.5M
    GameCube 11.7M
    Nintendo DS 9.87M
    PlayStation Portable 7.03M
    Xbox 360 5.05M
    Wii 1.85M
    PlayStation 3 1.06M

For U.S., obviously.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, I didn't know DKR was that popular/sold that well.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    haha xbox

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    haha xbox

It's doing well... it's beating all of the other discontinued consoles.

XBox: 480
    Dreamcast: 0
    N64: 0
    PS1: 0
    SNES: 0
    Atari 2600: 0

The XBox is the clear winner in the "discontinued consoles" sales figures.

Marlor on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    haha xbox

Gamecube is discontinued and is beating it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    haha xbox

Gamecube is discontinued and is beating it.

Actually, it's still being manufactured.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    haha xbox

Technically, that's not true. ;) (Read towards the bottom.)

Edit: Cloudeagle. No.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    I wonder how the DS sales will look in April with the release of Pokemon.

This little system is going straight to the moon.
    You know, I look at DS sales, both in Japan and in the U.S., and I'm amazed at its meteoric rise.

And then I remember that Dragon Quest IX is coming for the DS. I had better stock up on canned goods and shotguns; Japan will sink into the ocean, laden with joy-filled tears, and the End of Days will be upon us.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought there where actually people in Canada. Do you Canadians not have any money or what?

Yeah... based on population, Canada should be averaging about 10% of US sales... it's more like 6-7% based on these figures.

I just checked our sellthrough for last month. We, as a chain, put through more volume than they've attribute to the entirety of Canada - which means something's not cricket. Considering the legislation requiring our reporting to be clean it would indicate to me that this in incomplete data.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »

I just checked our sellthrough for last month. We, as a chain, put through more volume than they've attribute to the entirety of Canada - which means something's not cricket. Considering the legislation requiring our reporting to be clean it would indicate to me that this in incomplete data.

Which seems to be the case for most sales numbers outside of the US or Japan.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Straight after Perrin Kaplan announced it was discontinued, Nintendo released a statement saying that it was actually still being supported and manufactured.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/gamecube/the-gamecube-lives-on-239090.php
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73353

Nintendo should really hire someone to just contradict everything that Perrin says, because it is invariably incorrect.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Straight after Perrin Kaplan announced it was discontinued, Nintendo released a statement saying that it was actually still being supported and manufactured.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/gamecube/the-gamecube-lives-on-239090.php
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73353

Nintendo should really hire someone to just contradict everything that Perrin says, because it is invariably incorrect.

First region locking, now this. Huh.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    major_tom wrote: »
    Ho-leee shit. I don't think anyone could have predicted this. And it looks like even Europe aren't going to be able to bail sony out at this point, given that they don't even seem to be able to fill their preorders here in the UK. Every game retailer I've passed in the last couple of months has been desperately trying to force people into preordering ridiculous £550+ bundles (that's over $1000 for you yanks), often resorting to outright lies in the process, and even attempting to shaft the consoles that do sell! (check out 2nd link):

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/03/europe-at-war-horsham-game-has-gone-mad.html

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/03/europe-at-war-bluewater-game-resorts-to.html

Still, on the plus side, price drop, eh? I actually genuinely hope there is one.

Yeah, the situation in the UK is a little wierd, to be honest. Usually people go apeshit over anything Playstation branded, but not when it costs HALF A FUCKING GRAND.

Strange, that.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/pics4/game-bluewater.jpg
    "Fully backwards compatible"
    :)

Remember that price comparison Sony did back in like November where they tried to make the PS3 out to be cheaper than the 360? Reminds me a bit of that.

For completeness:

sonychart1eh9.jpg

Joeslop on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The total cost of ownership for the 360 probably is higher than the ps3, though.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Joeslop wrote: »
    For completeness:

sonychart1eh9.jpg

I can just imagine the conversation shouted across cubicles that went into making the Wii column of the chart.

"Hey, what's the Wii got for online?"

"Nothing for the first 6 months, I think."

"Gotcha. .... Alright, this shit's done. Let's go to Arby's."

"Oh hell yeah."

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The total cost of ownership for the 360 probably is higher than the ps3, though.

Well, yeah. There's more games for it. There's more good games for it. There's more games people are buying for it (look at the chart in the OP). Games cost money. QED.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I can't believe the friggin GBA is outselling the PS3. That's just sad.

I'm also vaguely astonished at how well Diddy Kong Racing sold. Weren't there any other major DS games last month?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Well, yeah. There's more games for it. There's more good games for it. There's more games people are buying for it (look at the chart in the OP). Games cost money. QED.

And you need a house to play it in. A TV would probably be good too. Etc., etc.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

"Well, if you take the extra $200 you pay for a PS3 and divide it over the total number of months for the expected life span of 5 years and then compare it to how much you..."

I fucking hate arguments like this, they never lead anywhere. Some people value some things over others.

If you'd like, I can argue about how the total cost of a PS2 is higher than a PS3.

slash000 on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

"Well, if you take the extra $200 you pay for a PS3 and divide it over the total number of months for the expected life span of 5 years and then compare it to how much you..."

I fucking hate arguments like this, they never lead anywhere. Some people value some things over others.

If you'd like, I can argue about how the total cost of a PS2 is higher than a PS3.

In all my years ive had to spend 400$ dollars on my ps2! And thats just in hardware itself!
    I have had 2 ps2 in my lifetime

Why my brand spanking new SONY Playstation 3® hasnt even costed me less then a single ps2, xbox 360, or wii! And its still brand new!
    my ps3 is so new its still in the store.. cause i dont want one

Clearly the SONY Playstation 3® is a far better buy then any other console.
    in bizarro world

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ha-HA, take that Nintendo! The PS3 is outselling the Gamecube! IN YOUR FACE!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Your words do not matter, for I have three PS3s. You have none.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

But do you have cake?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited March 2007

But do you have cake?

Yes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    But do you have cake?
    Yes.
    But can you eat it, too?

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wow, forget the previous posts from NeoGAFers that were copied here. This takes every shock emoticon.
    (First guy)
    Exactly how is Wii Sports gameplay different from any other sports game? Just because you play it differently, does not mean the gameplay is different. Why do people not understand this? Does Zelda: TP (Wii) have more innovative gameplay than Zelda: TP (GC)? Is what you see on your TV different from one version to the next?

(Second guy)
    Zelda TP Wii is imo more immersive than Zelda GC. Mimicking the actions of the avatar really adds to that more than what mere graphics can do imo.

(First guy)
    Immersive = innovative? C'mon. Tell me how the gameplay is more INNOVATIVE?

Unbelievable! Inconceivable!

Although there are no insults, it kinda goes back to what I said before here

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If Sony does not drop the price of the PS3 in the US this year, I'm just going to come out and say it here, they are fucked. They're already 4 million behind 360, and will be 1 million behind Wii next month. Halo 3, along with a lot of lesser system sellers, are out on 360 this year, and PS3 really doesn't have anything to match it. I'm not saying they're d00med or anything, but in 2008 and beyond they will be playing catch up, and I don't know if they'll be able to.

Also, DS almost hitting 500,000 in February is pretty ridiculous.

bruin on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    If Sony does not drop the price of the PS3 in the US this year, I'm just going to come out and say it here, they are fucked. They're already 4 million behind 360, and will be 1 million behind Wii next month. Halo 3, along with a lot of lesser system sellers, are out on 360 this year, and PS3 really doesn't have anything to match it. I'm not saying they're d00med or anything, but in 2008 and beyond they will be playing catch up, and I don't know if they'll be able to.

I'd say there should be more supply of the $500 model long before a price cut. But Sony have to ask themselves whether more sales are worth losing a ton more money.

Btw, I'm not trying to come up with excuses but the 360 sold fairly slowly last year as well. It only started to start selling pretty well until after Gears came out.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »

I'd say there should be more supply of the $500 model long before a price cut. But Sony have to ask themselves whether more sales are worth losing a ton more money.

Btw, I'm not trying to come up with excuses but the 360 sold fairly slowly last year as well. It only started to start selling pretty well until after Gears came out.
    360 was sold out here through February though, so you can't really compare yet.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    But 360 was supply constrained in the early months. Some were breaking down and had to be replaced too.

And yeah, February, the shortest month of the year, with numbers like that.
    (Yeah, yeah, day or so less, I know. :D )

And I found the perfect image to put in the OP. :lol:

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Yes, yes you did. Dead Wii-sing?

After the repeated dickery by Sony I was all set to savor a nice batch of freudenschade at their expense. Now they're getting outsold by the GBA? A 6 year old console? Ouch. This is making me feel bad for them.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Yes, yes you did. Dead Wii-sing?

After the repeated dickery by Sony I was all set to savor a nice batch of schadenfreude at their expense. Now they're getting outsold by the GBA? A 6 year old console? Ouch. This is making me feel bad for them.

Fixed.

And I labelled it as "Dead Rwiising". At least it looks like how it could sound.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So you did. I hopped over to wiki since I couldn't remember how to spell it and it looks like it has an incorrect entry. I feel shamed.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So you did. I hopped over to wiki since I couldn't remember how to spell it and it looks like it has an incorrect entry. I feel shamed.

Don't worry, I'm not delighting in it.

Some stats from GhaleonEB on NeoGAF (no links for proof to back them up, but let's just go with it.):

A few random observations after staring at my spreadsheet:

-360 has had the top-selling game four months in a row, (Gears, Gears, Lost Planet, Crackdown)

-PS3 sales in four months are almost the same as the Wii after two, and just a hair over the 360 (tied factoring out January's extra week)

-The Wii has sold in four months what it took the 360 7 1/2 months

-PS3 tops 1m this month

-360 tops 5m this month

-360 is up 42% from last year, and 15% from the Xbox at the same point in its lifecycle

-It took the Gamecube eight months to hit the Wii's LTD, and that's with a bigger GC launch.

-February PS3 sales are lower than the PS2 ever sold so far

-PS2 after 3 months > PS3 after 4 months

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Don't worry, I'm not delighting in it.

*slow clap* Well played. Well played indeed.
    -360 has had the top-selling game four months in a row, (Gears, Gears, Lost Planet, Crackdown)

I think this has more to do with being a "mature" installed base. Really the only system that could conceivably compete with it is the DS and it's been lacking in real blockbuster titles. (Though when Pokemon hits...)
    -February PS3 sales are lower than the PS2 ever sold so far

Ouch.

DevoutlyApathetic on