Options

February NPD Sales -- HOLY SHIT!

• Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    -360 is up 42% from last year, and 15% from the Xbox at the same point in its lifecycle

-It took the Gamecube eight months to hit the Wii's LTD, and that's with a bigger GC launch.

-February PS3 sales are lower than the PS2 ever sold so far

-PS2 after 3 months > PS3 after 4 months

Well that pretty much paints the picture, now doesn't it?

bruin on
  • Options
    Evan WatersEvan Waters Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    major_tom wrote: »
    Ho-leee shit. I don't think anyone could have predicted this. And it looks like even Europe aren't going to be able to bail sony out at this point, given that they don't even seem to be able to fill their preorders here in the UK. Every game retailer I've passed in the last couple of months has been desperately trying to force people into preordering ridiculous £550+ bundles (that's over $1000 for you yanks), often resorting to outright lies in the process, and even attempting to shaft the consoles that do sell! (check out 2nd link):

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/03/europe-at-war-horsham-game-has-gone-mad.html

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/03/europe-at-war-bluewater-game-resorts-to.html

Still, on the plus side, price drop, eh? I actually genuinely hope there is one.

Nothing says professional salesmanship like repeated multiple exclamation points.

Have UK video game retailers always been batshit insane or is this a recent phenomenon?

Evan Waters on
  • Options
    Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The total cost of ownership for the 360 probably is higher than the ps3, though.

factsheetmu0qw2.jpg

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Karf wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »

I think the Wii might be fucked if some stellar software with broad appeal doesn't hit soon. It's got great hardware sales, to be sure, but it's software just isn't dominating the charts like the 360's is.

It's a damn good thing the console launched with Zelda, because honestly, there isn't anything else out there with a lot of meat to it (as in, not a minigame fest or shoddy port with tacked on controls).

Wii Sports.

Wii Play.
    That's not enough at all. The control is solid, but its still minigames. We need more adventures like Zelda. We need full games, stat.

yay for super paper mario!
    plus sonic and blur hit relatively recently. those definitely count.

Guek on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Friends cost $150 now?

Is that each, or for a full three-pack?

Can I get a discount with my Fry's VIP Card?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    Karf wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »

I think the Wii might be fucked if some stellar software with broad appeal doesn't hit soon. It's got great hardware sales, to be sure, but it's software just isn't dominating the charts like the 360's is.

It's a damn good thing the console launched with Zelda, because honestly, there isn't anything else out there with a lot of meat to it (as in, not a minigame fest or shoddy port with tacked on controls).

Wii Sports.

Wii Play.
    That's not enough at all. The control is solid, but its still minigames. We need more adventures like Zelda. We need full games, stat.

Mario Strikers Charged, Pokemon Battle Revolution and Big Brain Acamedy come out this Summer and should all sell well.

bruin on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guek wrote: »

IMHO, Sonic is probably the best game on the Wii. The controls are really tight once you get used to them and you get Sonic powered-up.

The later levels would be virtually impossible if the controls weren't as tight as they are.

It's a real gamer's-game.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So in Germany, one of the biggest companies, "Saturn", is selling the 360 PREMIUM with 2 games OF CHOICE AND an extra controller for 330€. That's about 435 Dollar.

They announced this with an entire page in their paper ad.

The PS3 launch got about a 1/5 page on page 3 saying "It's finally here! 599€ without a game! Preorder now!"

I am not quite sure what's going to happen but I see a lot of people going:

"Xbox? MOER LIEK SEXBOX M I RITE?!?" and buying this awesome bundle while still having about 300€ left in their pockets.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Here in Australia, many GAME (Games Wizards) stores are selling the XBox 360 Premium for $599, bundled with Project Gotham Racing 3 and Dead or Alive 4.

That's $474 USD with tax included. Without tax, it would be $430.

So, the good deals on the 360 seem pretty widespread.

If my local Games Wizards store was one of the participating stores, I'd probably pick up the deal. I'm really half-tempted to travel to Sydney and pick up a 360 anyway. I've given the PS3 long enough to show me why it's worth twice as much as a 360, and I haven't seen any compelling evidence yet, so I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and give Microsoft my money.

The only thing that's really holding me back is the rumoured hardware upgrade.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ho-leee shit. I don't think anyone could have predicted this. And it looks like even Europe aren't going to be able to bail sony out at this point, given that they don't even seem to be able to fill their preorders here in the UK. Every game retailer I've passed in the last couple of months has been desperately trying to force people into preordering ridiculous £550+ bundles (that's over $1000 for you yanks), often resorting to outright lies in the process, and even attempting to shaft the consoles that do sell! (check out 2nd link):

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/03/europe-at-war-horsham-game-has-gone-mad.html

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2007/03/europe-at-war-bluewater-game-resorts-to.html

Still, on the plus side, price drop, eh? I actually genuinely hope there is one.
    Would that have something to do with the massive amount of consoles being shipped to Europe? Seriously, they're shipping like twice the amount of Wii's Nintendo shipped to Europe.

Klyka: Isn't that an indication that a console is selling poorly? The same thing happened to the 360 in Japan (though that was just a few months after launch).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Would that have something to do with the massive amount of consoles being shipped to Europe? Seriously, they're shipping like twice the amount of Wii's Nintendo shipped to Europe.

Klyka: Isn't that an indication that a console is selling poorly? The same thing happened to the 360 in Japan (though that was just a few months after launch).

I actually have no idea how good/bad the sales for the 360 in Germany are, but I personally know a lot of people with one. And the Microsoft/xbox ads/commercials are really widespread and that has been going on for months.

Of course there is the problem of not selling Gears of War in normal stores.
    Or Crackdown not coming out in Germany.
    Or Germany generally hating everything games related.
    *sigh*

And well, German retailers have always been pretty agressive when it comes to making bundles. Basically, every console I know has gotten a great bundle with 1 or 2 games about 4 months after it's release.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh wow at DS and Wii numbers.

Specially the DS. WOW.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, Nintendo are rocking the fucking balls.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Why is the PS3 doing so poorly?

I wonder...

May 31st, 2006 - Sony's Phil Harrison denies copying the Wiimote and states that the PS3 will replace the PC

TL;DR: The PS3 has been a complete and total clusterfuck from day 1.

What a list of BS.

Fx. Harrison never said the PS3 will replace the PC.

When doing a list like that at least make sure you get the facts right.

Oh and BTW. The PS3 could likely replace the PC for a lot of things since SONY allow for Linux on the thing and even describe in the manual how to change the hard drive if desired.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What a list of BS.

Actually, that list in its original form contains links to articles where specified thing happened. Every thing in that list can be verified by respectable gaming or business site.

EDIT: Here is link to actual article where Harrison said so: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152133.html
    EDIT 2: And here is original list with links. http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25247543&page=0

So you could really say it is list of bullshit. Sony bullshit, to be more precise.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    elkatas wrote: »
    What a list of BS.

Actually, that list in its original form contains links to articles where specified thing happened. Every thing in that list can be verified by respectable gaming or business site.

EDIT: Here is link to actual article where Harrison said so: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152133.html
    EDIT 2: And here is original list with links. http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25247543&page=0

Except you're just proving that he is being miss-quoted.

Rook on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Except you're just proving that he is being miss-quoted.

Yup, but I mostly answered his accusations that list was pure bullshit that has nothing do with reality.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I saw Boilerbird post this over at GAF and I felt it was a diamond amid piles of shit (entertaining shit, but shit nonetheless):
    Boilerbird wrote:
    People here are complaining that the rise of Nintendo means that there won't be any new advances in hardware. That isn't true. It just means advances in hardware will, in the future, more closely follow what consumers will pay for that hardware.
    I think very few people are sanely arguing that the 360 and PS3's capabilities aren't good. Cutting-edge tech is sparkling, larger-format drives are always improvements and the online possiblities of Live/Home are nigh limitless. But most people are arguing that the PS3 and to a lesser extent the 360, along with all of the games and accountrements, are just too freaking expensive to adopt at this specific moment. There are always going to be early adopters, but don't be surprised if people at large are reluctant to spend more than $450 on a system with a game when there are still a lot of great gems from the end of the last gen. Shit, look at what the PS2 has pushed this past year. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say "For me, it's too much, too soon."

Personally, I think that cries of "the Wii is killing next-gen gaming" are ludicrous. In this gen more than possibly any other, there's such an amazing disparity between all three systems (games, features, etc.) that gamers would be foolish not to own at least two of the three.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And people like to claim that if the Wii wins, games all become low-tech waggle affairs and there'll be nothing "hardcore" left.

Obviously the PC will always be around for cutting-edge gaming, and it's not like the 360 is doing poorly either. And besides that, the Wii has arguably already got a fair share of "hardcore" games that are challenging, and not because the controls suck (SSX for one).

Even besides all of that, assuming the Wii is the only system anyone wants anymore and gaming somehow becomes universally less intricate graphically and overall "gimmicky..." how is that something you can fight against? Why should we all rally against it when most of us find it a positive thing and the rest of the newly expanded market agrees? The majority rules in gaming. If people show they want a certain type of game, developers will give it to them over and over until they're sick of it. (Arguably, this may be what's happened.) The mass market does not care that you wanted yet another gorgeous first person shooter...although like I said earlier, you'll likely still get more anyway.

In short,
    ist21389174theendisnearpd9.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just love watching the idiots running scared. You'd think the Wii is crushing everything they believe in and hold dear. They might not care about the rising cost of gaming but I do. I can easily drop $400+ on a new console but a lot of people can't and won't. The trend of uber-powerful yet uber-expensive systems could be far more damaging to gaming in the long run when late-adopters turn into no-adopters. I'm glad Nintendo wisely decided to put out a low cost next-gen alternative so that gaming won't turn into an exclusive hobby.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The Wii helps wet the appetite.

The other consoles fill you up after that.

It's an awesome cycle for the gaming industry and really develops the "expanded audience" as a whole.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SirToons wrote: »
    Oh neo gaf

"Don't worry guys, March NPD will be different, with all the people buying PS3s because of the HOME and LBP announcements."

JUST IN CASE ANYONE WAS WORRIED

::whew:: that's a relief. I don't know what I'd do if Sony wasn't OMG NUMBAR 1!!!!

My prediction: PS3 sales will lag until the next major software release. Because that's how all systems work.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    My prediction: PS3 sales will lag until the next major software release. Because that's how all systems work.
    My prediction is that PS3 sales will lag in spite of the next major software release, because that's how all overly expensive systems work.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like how the hardcore fanboys say that the Wii will usher in an era of shitty graphics if it succeeds, as if Nintendo will be staying at this level of technical prowess for eternity. They'll probably be saying the same thing if Wii 2 is equivalent in power to the PS3 for $250, five years from now.

Zek on
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Nothing says professional salesmanship like repeated multiple exclamation points.

Have UK video game retailers always been batshit insane or is this a recent phenomenon?

I honestly have no fucking clue what is going on. Sometimes I seriously entertain the thought that Sony has hit Europe with some kind of mind-control ray. That's the only explanation I can come up with for the fact that even gaming retailers seem to be chock-full of unapologetic Sony fanboys.

As the venerable UK:R points out, since when did shops start being biased about what they sell?

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My prediction is that PS3 sales will lag in spite of the next major software release, because that's how all overly expensive systems work.
    I'm not saying it's going to become an overnight runaway success, but you'll see a spike for Heavenly Sword, another for MGS, another for FFXIII. There was probably a minor spike for VF5.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    double post...

LewieP on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I honestly have no fucking clue what is going on. Sometimes I seriously entertain the thought that Sony has hit Europe with some kind of mind-control ray. That's the only explanation I can come up with for the fact that even gaming retailers seem to be chock-full of unapologetic Sony fanboys.

As the venerable UK:R points out, since when did shops start being biased about what they sell?

When they are concerned about having a pile of unsold expensive goods taking up shelf space?

They will now know at what rate they can sell 360 at, Wii are still flying off the shelves, and PS3 is an unknown at this point.

If they do not sell out quickly, you can be damn sure shops will go to even more effort promoting them.

LewieP on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My only question in this entire thread:

HOW THE FUCK DID DIDDY KONG RACING DS SELL SO WELL? WHAT A POS. WHAT STUPID FUCKING CONSUMERS.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    My only question in this entire thread:

HOW THE FUCK DID DIDDY KONG RACING DS SELL SO WELL? WHAT A POS. WHAT STUPID FUCKING CONSUMERS.

Hannah Montana

JJ on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm not saying it's going to become an overnight runaway success, but you'll see a spike for Heavenly Sword, another for MGS, another for FFXIII. There was probably a minor spike for VF5.
    I dunno, Heavenly Sword has a good amount of internet hype, but I don't see it pushing a lot of $5/600 systems. MGS is a popular series, but has never really been a major system seller, and I think it'll have trouble if it runs into Halo 3 and GTA4 this fall like MGS3 (by far the worst selling in the series) ran into Halo 2 and GTA: San Andreas. FF12 I do think will be a system seller, especially in Japan. In fact, I think its release is the next time we'll see decent PS3 sales in Japan.

bruin on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I dunno, Heavenly Sword has a good amount of internet hype, but I don't see it pushing a lot of $5/600 systems. MGS is a popular series, but has never really been a major system seller, and I think it'll have trouble if it runs into Halo 3 and GTA4 this fall like MGS3 (by far the worst selling in the series) ran into Halo 2 and GTA: San Andreas. FF12 I do think will be a system seller, especially in Japan. In fact, I think its release is the next time we'll see decent PS3 sales in Japan.

Probably, especially since Sony dropped the ball in landing third-party exclusives (at least for the forseeable future; this may have changed now that Krazy Ken got kicked upstairs). FF12 is probably the first game that will undeniably sell a ton of systems by itself... but it's not coming out for a while. And Sony's rapidly losing momentum.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have to be honest.
    I am unsurprised by these figures.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I have to be honest.

Me too,really.

I AM still surprised by the amount of people in Germany buying Wii's.

It's so ... unusual... seeing people camp out for consoles here.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have to be honest.

the only thing that surprises me is that the GBA sold more than the PS3. And I'm not surprised at how little the PS3 sold, I'm surprised at how many GBA's sold.

I know the "The GBA is the perfect cheap portable for kids blah blah blah" But still, move on to the DS folks, last I heard, it plays GBA games too. :P

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I have to be honest.

the only thing that surprises me is that the GBA sold more than the PS3. And I'm not surprised at how little the PS3 sold, I'm surprised at how many GBA's sold.

I know the "The GBA is the perfect cheap portable for kids blah blah blah" But still, move on to the DS folks, last I heard, it plays GBA games too. :P

I'd trust a 3 year old with a GBA. I would not trust him/her/it with a DS. The stylus is a choking hazard, the touchscreen is begging to get kidslimed and while incredibly robust it's still not the hardened nuclear facility that the GBA is.

Shit, I hear they test bunker busters on the GBA. Most don't pass the mustard.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I have to be honest.

I'd trust a 3 year old with a GBA. I would not trust him/her/it with a DS. The stylus is a choking hazard, the touchscreen is begging to get kidslimed and while incredibly robust it's still not the hardened nuclear facility that the GBA is.

Shit, I hear they test bunker busters on the GBA. Most don't pass the mustard.

Also, FF6. So since NOW there aren't any more games coming out for the GBA, its sales should slow down. Right? RIGHT?

Ah who am I kidding, the GBA and PS2 will still sell like blowjobs well into 2008.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This space used to have some money numbers, which I thought were interesting, but since I didn't bother with profit/loss margins and basically accounting for all 3 companies, people didn't like it. Feel free to look up Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft's corporate fact sheets for actual accounting purposes.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled non-biased discussion. :)

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    milath wrote: »
    Interesting? Spin these numbers however you like. Nintendo is winning overall, but not by much. This is hardware sales only, of course. Honestly, when you look at it from a strict money standpoint, Sony isn't doing terribly as far as console income goes. Of course, this will change as PS2 sales continue to drop. Nintendo is clearly winning the handheld market by far.

Not by much? You realize that each of those Wii sales are at a profit, while the PS3 sells for a substantial loss, right?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    milath wrote: »
    Interesting? Spin these numbers however you like. Nintendo is winning overall, but not by much. This is hardware sales only, of course. Honestly, when you look at it from a strict money standpoint, Sony isn't doing terribly as far as console income goes. Of course, this will change as PS2 sales continue to drop. Nintendo is clearly winning the handheld market by far.

Not by much? You realize that each of those Wii sales are at a profit, while the PS3 sells for a substantial loss, right?
    Yeah, that really doesn't make sense. If you had actual profit margins on each system then you could do it, but otherwise no.

bruin on