Options

February NPD Sales -- HOLY SHIT!

• Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    milath wrote: »
    Interesting? Spin these numbers however you like. Nintendo is winning overall, but not by much. This is hardware sales only, of course. Honestly, when you look at it from a strict money standpoint, Sony isn't doing terribly as far as console income goes. Of course, this will change as PS2 sales continue to drop. Nintendo is clearly winning the handheld market by far.

Not by much? You realize that each of those Wii sales are at a profit, while the PS3 sells for a substantial loss, right?

And you realize that Sony makes TVs, DVD players and a ton of other hardware that isn't game consoles to defer these losses, right? I could really care less though, as I'm not an economist for Sony or Nintendo. If you want to factor in per unit cost or accessories or whatever, that's fine. Feel free to use what I posted as a start point.

I just did this to try to add to the discussion. Once again, I don't care who wins the console wars. I'll be buying all of 'em assuming there's games I want for each.

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Interesting? Spin these numbers however you like. Nintendo is winning overall, but not by much. This is hardware sales only, of course. Honestly, when you look at it from a strict money standpoint, Sony isn't doing terribly as far as console income goes. Of course, this will change as PS2 sales continue to drop. Nintendo is clearly winning the handheld market by far.

Not by much? You realize that each of those Wii sales are at a profit, while the PS3 sells for a substantial loss, right?

And you realize that Sony makes TVs, DVD players and a ton of other hardware that isn't game consoles to defer these losses, right? I could really care less though, as I'm not an economist for Sony or Nintendo. If you want to factor in per unit cost or accessories or whatever, that's fine. Feel free to use what I posted as a start point.

I just did this to try to add to the discussion. Once again, I don't care who wins the console wars. I'll be buying all of 'em assuming there's games I want for each.

Last I heard, pretty much all the other Sony divisions are doing pretty badly and have been leaning on the success of the video game division.

Zek on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Nice try, but if you really want to go down this road you're going to have to think like an economist and actually figure out the profit/loss, rather than find an arbitrary number that doesn't come close to the bottom line by itself.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Last I heard, pretty much all the other Sony divisions are doing pretty badly and have been leaning on the success of the video game division.

Not to mention if you want to tread that path you better add Microsoft Windows and Office profits up there too.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Not to mention if you want to tread that path you better add Microsoft Windows and Office profits up there too.

Which is retarded when it is pretty clear we are speaking about strictly the videogame console market here in this thread.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Nice try, but if you really want to go down this road you're going to have to think like an economist and actually figure out the profit/loss, rather than find an arbitrary number that doesn't come close to the bottom line by itself.

Bah. Fine. I thought it'd be interesting.

Editing it out since I don't feel like doing Sony/Nintendo's accounting for them this week.

Sorry I bothered.

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    poor ps3. :-( its very easy to see it picking back up with the release of some great games come 3rd and 4rth quarter but then you remember that the halo3 + gta4 combination is going to kick its ASS come winter. GTA4 may not be exclusive but c'mon, when the average consumer is looking at the two systems its going to be "halohalohalohalohalogta4halogta4halohalo" why buy a ps3 + gta4 when you can get a 360 + halo3 + gta4 for less megabucks than just the $600 ps3?

plus there's the wii. if the momentum holds (probably not but not impossible) and with the advent of Galaxy and Brawl, whats sony to do? 360 will cater to the hardcore and the wii will appeal to the thrifty soccer moms.

g'luck sony. i hope things turn out alright

Guek on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am not a thrifty soccer mom you fucker.
    Actually I am

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Which is retarded when it is pretty clear we are speaking about strictly the videogame console market here in this thread.

I never stated such a motion wasn't retarded. ;)

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Why the fairly high Gamecube numbers? My only explanation is that people can't buy a Wii for Zelda, and thus are picking up a $50 or Gamecube just so they can play Twilight Princess in some capacity.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I have to be honest.
    I am unsurprised by these figures.

the only thing that surprises me is that the GBA sold more than the PS3. And I'm not surprised at how little the PS3 sold, I'm surprised at how many GBA's sold.

I know the "The GBA is the perfect cheap portable for kids blah blah blah" But still, move on to the DS folks, last I heard, it plays GBA games too. :P

I'd trust a 3 year old with a GBA. I would not trust him/her/it with a DS.

I agree. My sister called me a couple weeks ago, saying they wanted to get their 5-year old a video game for his birthday. I recommended the GBA, as it's $50 cheaper and I don't trust my hyperactive nephew with a stylus and touch-screen...

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you could find a DS Phat used, I'd suggest that one for a youngin', depending on age. If the GBA SP is a Humvee, then the DS Phat is an H3; perhaps not as tank-like, but still able to take quite a beating on the outside. One thing I miss with my DS Lite is the meaty, chunky CLICK you got when opening up the clamshell and locking the screen in place.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess I might be the only one who also finds it amusing that the PS3 is being beat... by the PS2. Everybody predicted that Sony's own system would be just as equal competition as the Wii/360. And now we're seeing it, they're getting their asses kicked by themselves.

Means nothing in the profit sense, since the money is going to Sony anyways. But still, it's just the notion of the idea that's making me giggle.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess I might be the only one who also finds it amusing that the PS3 is being beat... by the PS2. Everybody predicted that Sony's own system would be just as equal competition as the Wii/360. And now we're seeing it, they're getting their asses kicked by themselves.

Means nothing in the profit sense, since the money is going to Sony anyways. But still, it's just the notion of the idea that's making me giggle.
    All it means to me is that the PS2 is making them money, and the PS3 is making them lose money (hardware wise) right now.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That was true until that new CEO came in. For the life of me I can't remember his name now. But at any rate, he's largely credited with getting all of the other Sony Electronics divisions back in the black in just under a year.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Karf wrote: »

All it means to me is that the PS2 is making them money, and the PS3 is making them lose money (hardware wise) right now.
    The epic sales of PS2s to this day lends credence to the point that a lot of people don't see the value of upgrading to a more powerful system.

You know, I'm still amazed that God of War 2 wasn't a PS3 title.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Karf wrote: »

The epic sales of PS2s to this day lends credence to the point that a lot of people don't see the value of upgrading to a more powerful system.

You know, I'm still amazed that God of War 2 wasn't a PS3 title.
    Devs have become pretty reluctant-- but I would say its because they don't see the value of the next gen systems, it's more of an finical standpoint right now. Would you rather make a game that could sell a million copies on launch day due to everyone having a PS2 and everyone loving God of War, or selling 50,000 launch day for the PS3. Also, it lessens the development cycle working on the last gen hardware. In a years time, this won't be an issue for the PS3 because the install base will be higher, much like the 360 is starting to get A+ devs and games who have dedicated the resources and time it takes to make a next gen game.

Launch for any console is normally rough. We all know about launch games, and luckily the launch games will be soon forgotten once the good devs start working on the platform.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    LuckyStrikeYoLuckyStrikeYo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    [/QUOTE] You know, I'm still amazed that God of War 2 wasn't a PS3 title. [\QUOTE]

I agree with this. Here is a popular first party title released during what is traditional a dead time for gaming. With the game getting good reviews this could have been a real system mover for the PS3. Once that dies down you restart the Sony@Home hype machine again to keep momentum going. Instead you have no juice, just press release after press release promising things to come. Which only serves to call attention to the fact that nothing is going on right now for the PS3. The upside for Sony? At least nobody is talking about the PSP. ;)

LuckyStrikeYo on
    Gemini Mind in BFBC2
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You know, I'm still amazed that God of War 2 wasn't a PS3 title. [\QUOTE]

I agree with this. Here is a popular first party title released during what is traditional a dead time for gaming. With the game getting good reviews this could have been a real system mover for the PS3. Once that dies down you restart the Sony@Home hype machine again to keep momentum going. Instead you have no juice, just press release after press release promising things to come. Which only serves to call attention to the fact that nothing is going on right now for the PS3. The upside for Sony? At least nobody is talking about the PSP. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but look how long of a turnaround was involved in Zelda. they planned on making it on the Wii 1-2 years ago. Agreed, GoW2 should've been a PS3 game from the start, but that would've involved writing a new engine, getting everything locked down, and.. oh yeah... competing against Heavenly Sword.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "Holy Shit" is right. I think I'm more surprised by gaf's reaction though.

The spin isn't actually that bad and, goddamn...one Sony faboy physically threatened a guy.
    This news must be bad when the faboys are reduced to that.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

The spin isn't actually that bad and, goddamn...one Sony faboy physically threatened a guy.

Yes, that's an excellent way to judge the severity of things - associate it with the mental stability of someone's who's clearly a little off their rocker.

We should do that for the American Terror Alert System. "This young playstation fan is frothing at the mouth. Set Alert levels to vermilion"

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    From what I've read on NeoGAF they seem to need black-and-white absolutes along the lines of 'The Wii is not next-gen'; 'You can only be a casual or a hardcore gamer, and casual is bad'; 'Anything running at less than a locked solid 60fps is shit'.. etc. etc.

It breaks their heads trying to fit this information into an absolute outcome rightawayNOW.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »

Yes, that's an excellent way to judge the severity of things - associate it with the mental stability of someone's who's clearly a little off they're rocker.

We should do that for the American Terror Alert System. "This young playstation fan is frothing at the mouth. Set Alert levels to vermilion"
    I never said that GAF was the end all be all judge of the situation; I'm just saying the people's reactions there are ridiculous. Obviously, I didn't need Gaf to tell me those numbers are bad news.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    Guardian LegendGuardian Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Xbox only sold 480 systems? Woah. I saw some kid buy a used Xbox at Gamestop during Feb. The employees were like "Wha, someone's buying an Xbox!?!"

Guardian Legend on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Why the fairly high Gamecube numbers? My only explanation is that people can't buy a Wii for Zelda, and thus are picking up a $50 or Gamecube just so they can play Twilight Princess in some capacity.

it kinda helps that it's 99$

cheaper than a DS

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Xbox only sold 480 systems? Woah. I saw some kid buy a used Xbox at Gamestop during Feb. The employees were like "Wha, someone's buying an Xbox!?!"

I plan on rebuying one around this time next year so I can play the games that Microsoft never bothered to make backwards compatible. I traded mine in and saved my saves to a memory card for the deal EB was having when they gave you $80 on your system or something when you got a 360.

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The people saying "wha wha wha, but Sony make profit selling DVD players and stuff too" seriously need to shut the fuck up, before somebody with half a brain points out how much money MS make on stuff that isn't games.

PROTIP: It's a whole fuckton more than Sony.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    The people saying "wha wha wha, but Sony make profit selling DVD players and stuff too" seriously need to shut the fuck up, before somebody with half a brain points out how much money MS make on stuff that isn't games.

OMG THAT'S AMAZING!

Seriously, what the hell was your point? The point of saying "Sony makes money elsewhere" was to point out that Sony is not 'd00med' but will survive the losses they're taking on the PS3. What the hell does Microsoft's profits have to do with it? "ZOMG my companies penis is bigger than Sony's olol! 360 4eva!"?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I believe that ben0207's point is that we're discussing consoles here, not TVs, operating systems, DVD players, or the like.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

OMG THAT'S AMAZING!

Seriously, what the hell was your point? The point of saying "Sony makes money elsewhere" was to point out that Sony is not 'd00med' but will survive the losses they're taking on the PS3. What the hell does Microsoft's profits have to do with it? "ZOMG my companies penis is bigger than Sony's olol! 360 4eva!"?

the point never was that sony is doomed, that's the problem. we are having a videogame console discussion, not a company wealth discussion.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Variable wrote: »

OMG THAT'S AMAZING!

the point never was that sony is doomed, that's the problem. we are having a videogame console discussion, not a company wealth discussion.

I agree but if some people are going to proclaim 'sony m d00med' then they really need to be told how retardedly stupid they are.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Variable wrote: »

OMG THAT'S AMAZING!

I agree but if some people are going to proclaim 'sony m d00med' then they really need to be told how retardedly stupid they are.
    I don't think anyone ever said that in this thread though.

bruin on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So a current generation console (Wii) is selling more than the PS2. Seems like the actual shift between generations has finally happened.

jothki on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »

cheaper than a DS

No the weird part is that used system sales don't count on these charts. So that means there are still brand new Xbox's floating around somewhere.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »

cheaper than a DS

No the weird part is that used system sales don't count on these charts. So that means there are still brand new Xbox's floating around somewhere.

INCONCEIVABLE!

I haven't seen XBoxes for over a year now.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

OMG THAT'S AMAZING!

It doesn't matter how much money Sony is making in other markets, that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 is a sinking ship compared to the other two consoles.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MGS3-SSMGS3-SS Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The PS2 still sells?!

MGS3-SS on
    bf2.jpg
    ak4729xm.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MGS3-SS wrote: »
    The PS2 still sells?!

If you wanted to play PS2 games, and you had a choice between either a PS3 or a PS2 and about 8 to 16 games, which one would you take?

jothki on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was at Gamestop the other day. A guy was buying a used PS2, he was saying, just so that he could play God of War 2.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh gods, imagine the numbers for Pokemon. Or SSBB.

Fencingsax on