As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guild Wars 2 - now 30% off and also it's a free weekend or something

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Anyone have any thoughts on this Guardian damage-oriented build I came up with?

it plays very differently from the way I play Guardian, but I'm an unkillable tank that doesn't do very much damage outside of crits so there's that

I outlast enemies, is how I kill them

that said, if you're going to choose VI in Virtues you'd really need to equip more Consecrations to justify it over some of the other possibilities in that slot

your build has a lot of good synergy going for it with all the burning, but I'm just thinking that survivability is a bit of a concern - your trait lines alone give you no bonuses to toughness or vitality; you may be able to mitigate that with equipment/armor but your build hasn't included that stuff so I'm not sure what you're thinking on that note

for reference, my build is this:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQNAS7dlYgyCXFSKEm4ERWhVi9AjwPjXPcIFZIA

I can't remember my armor setup in terms of stats but what I've got there is a rough approximation - most important are the Soldier's runes, which are AWESOME with this build

in fact thinking about it I could stand to swap out some of the Soldier's items for Valkyrie ones

but like I said I don't do too much damage; it's mostly support and lastability

thanks for the tips, and I switched up a few points around to get this

actually switched Zeal V for 1 because I have the immobilization signet in my build

and alternate alternate is http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fUAQFARlYgiDXGSJEf4ESWhC06x/AQIU1j4Bf8QA this baby

guardian so far is the one class i've enjoyed making up builds for, but I may try my hand at mesmer eventually

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I love the hammer. I fell in love with it the minute I used my giant Norn guardian to kill a tiny rat with Mighty Blow. It was so hilarious that I'm only just now starting to use the GS, and she's been 80 for several months now.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    damn, gossamer already jumped up to 7s

I knew it was going to go up in price, don't know why I held off when it was 4s

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Gonna be exotic and proud, don't need none o that fancy pants ascended crafting

WAHVivixenne
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    yeah I'm sticking with exotics for a while; I've yet to encounter any fight (including Fract 48) that has made me feel I require higher stats

yeah I'm sticking with exotics for a while; I've yet to encounter any fight (including Fract 48) that has made me feel I require higher stats

The hammer was fun for awhile, then I decided to try the greatsword and damn, so much fun

edited October 2013
    it really is! I still swap to Hammer often for encounters needing a bit more tanky-ness but for the crazy AoE massive fights I'll just GS it, hit a couple of shouts, make sure aegis is up, hope for the best, and things just melt!

Vivixenne on
    i'm diggin' the skill setup I showed up there. not high enough level to get the talents really yet (25 currently), but using that and swapping to my mace/torch tank when needed is nice

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    My guardian is right near 60. I am using this build, which emphasises Sword/Focus and Sceptre/Focus. It kills extraordinarily fast while taking little damage (traited you have 3 blinds, a shield that can eat 3 hits, plus Protection from the signet without even dipping into slot skills). I do carry a hammer with me (and should probably carry a GS) though I don't use them much while leveling. Once I hit 80 and actually start doing group events I'm sure the hammer will come out more often.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Gonna be exotic and proud, don't need none o that fancy pants ascended crafting

well I was talking about turning gossamer just to make money (but also yeah ascended tailoring)

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    My guardian is right near 60. I am using this build, which emphasises Sword/Focus and Sceptre/Focus. It kills extraordinarily fast while taking little damage (traited you have 3 blinds, a shield that can eat 3 hits, plus Protection from the signet without even dipping into slot skills). I do carry a hammer with me (and should probably carry a GS) though I don't use them much while leveling. Once I hit 80 and actually start doing group events I'm sure the hammer will come out more often.

I hadn't actually tried a sword build yet, or even used the sword as a weapon, so I'm tempted to try this tonight when I get home. Well, at least equipping a sword sense I'm still on track for this build. It's interesting, for sure.

Are there ways to actually check DPS, through calculator addons and such?

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I feel like im the only hunter playing this game.

Are hunters terrible later on or something?

Yes

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    A pet class where pets are incapable of avoiding damage, it is not good

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Usagi
    I wish I could play a hunter without pets

Wow has a thing where pets take 90% less aoe damage, i have no idea why anet does not put something like that in for dungeons so that pets can actually survive for longer than a second and you still will have to watch their health since pets won't be avoiding aoe and will still take big damage, but not instantly just die

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Or if you could put the pet away permanently, that would help

• AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    my biggest problem with the ranger class isn't that the pets are terrible, which they are, it's that both long and short bow are so boring to play with.

i have a lot more fun playing with swords and daggers and axes.

• EricsErics Charming to the last Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I'm assuming when you say Hunter you mean Ranger.

And no, I main a Ranger because Rangers are actually pretty awesome and one of the classes that are ideal to have in a group. The survivability of their pets is kinda bad though, yeah, but it can be somewhat mitigated by microing your pet or bringing a ranged pet when circumstances call for it.

Leaving the pet stowed would be gimping yourself pretty heavily, so even if you could I would generally avoid doing that. You get tons of utility from your pets, and they contribute not insignificantly to your DPS.

Erics on
    fabulousFantastic.png
    Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
    Angry wrote: »
    my biggest problem with the ranger class isn't that the pets are terrible, which they are, it's that both long and short bow are so boring to play with.

i have a lot more fun playing with swords and daggers and axes.

This is fine, because as a general rule of thumb melee DPS outclasses ranged DPS. For Ranger, it's something like Sword > Greatsword > Longbow.

fabulousFantastic.png
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    A-net has said that they're looking at giving pets separate health pools in PVE and PVP, allowing them to be tuned for things like dungeons and bosses without making them ridiculous in WvW.

Keyword: "Looking at," but it's something they're aware of.

I'm looking at possibly playing a ranger after I get my guardian to 80 and finish off the story with him, but I originally looked at elementalist cause I've always played a mage in WoW

and man

elementalist just sucks and is not my thing at all

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    elementalist just sucks

Nah, they're rad
    and is not my thing at all

that's more like it

JtgVX0H.png
    OghulkVivixenneUsagi
    Darmak wrote: »
    elementalist just sucks

Nah, they're rad
    and is not my thing at all

that's more like it

it's a very different caster class than i'm used to, that's for sure

DarmakVivixenne
    It really is. I've been concentrating on my necro and I really love how he plays, but I should bring Swagrid Yolomancer out sometime and actually get him to a level where I feel like I know what mesmers are really about. I feel like a glass lazor canon whenever I play him but clones and phantasms and shattering are just so cool.

JtgVX0H.png
    Mesmers seem really cool

i will say, even as a guardian for a while I felt like a glass canon until I realized I can't take on mobs 4+ levels higher than me

things my level or even a level higher are easy cake sauce though

Darmak
    The best thing you can do for your enjoyment of the classes in this game is to stop comparing them to what appear to be similar classes in other games.

I am having a ton of fun with my lowbie ranger and elementalist is my favorite class in the game. But I don't play them like I played hunter or Mage in wow and I think if you are looking for a traditional caster class in gw2 you will be disappointed because you aren't gonna get one.

Bobble
    I played my thief (who was my second 80) for a bit the other day. I haven't really played her much as I love Ele/mes/guardian more but it is just so much fun to be leaping around and just unloading piles of damage on things.

Pity she is under geared - her only exotics are her armor. The rest are rares and greens at best. I might take her through some dungeons just to refamiliarize myself with how thieves play. I think I was really lacking a synergistic build to begin with, that may be the issue.

I know I'm not gonna get one, but I mean, having played WoW for so long and then walking into another MMO I'm gonna have that tendency to compare.

I will say, having played Elementalist a bit, I just couldn't get into it

edited October 2013
    Enc wrote: »

The pet system is a bit broken, but from what I've seen, no! I see heaps of them around in higher levels, even in dungeons, and while they do somewhat lack in team support, the amount of CC that many encounters require in dungeons makes rangers brilliant options. I generally like having one tag along for high-level Fractal runs, for example, because they're great runners in Swamp.

They are also very, very popular in WvW. Both as scouts, mid-line, and as providers of additional water fields.

I may have agreed on release that rangers were a bit useless at first, but with some of the changes that have been implemented they're pretty awesome now. It is probably more useful to think of them as controllers rather than strikers/DPSers.

Vivixenne on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'm having fun running around and finding incidental mini groups for events. Just 2 random dudes meeting in a cave to murder a champ centaur. Violence ensues. Bow. Leave. Good times.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    Bobble
    The best thing you can do for your enjoyment of the classes in this game is to stop comparing them to what appear to be similar classes in other games.

I am having a ton of fun with my lowbie ranger and elementalist is my favorite class in the game. But I don't play them like I played hunter or Mage in wow and I think if you are looking for a traditional caster class in gw2 you will be disappointed because you aren't gonna get one.

Exactly, my necro isn't much like any necromancer I've ever played. He's nigh unkillable, and while his dps isn't super high he puts the constant hurt on people with conditions and boon removal. I also use the staff to lay down marks for AOE funtimes if I can prepare before a fight.

JtgVX0H.png
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Instant fun for elementalists:

Lightning Hammer

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Instant fun Thor-mode for elementalists:

Lightning Hammer

Calica
    edited October 2013
    Enc wrote: »

The pet system is a bit broken, but from what I've seen, no! I see heaps of them around in higher levels, even in dungeons, and while they do somewhat lack in team support, the amount of CC that many encounters require in dungeons makes rangers brilliant options. I generally like having one tag along for high-level Fractal runs, for example, because they're great runners in Swamp.

They are also very, very popular in WvW. Both as scouts, mid-line, and as providers of additional water fields.

I may have agreed on release that rangers were a bit useless at first, but with some of the changes that have been implemented they're pretty awesome now. It is probably more useful to think of them as controllers rather than strikers/DPSers.

Why do you think Rangers lack team support? They have some of the best team support in the game from my perspective. Huge precision AoE buff from traits, pet fury/might buffs, spirits with damage/protection/fire buffs. Horn for an awesome buff that is also a blast finisher. AoE heal water field, AoE flame trap fire field. Ability to have pet rez someone.

As well, a berserker spec'ed Longsword Ranger can almost match the sustained DPS of a Warrior, so they definitely hold their own when DPSing down big guys.

As far as optimum group viability in high tier content, they're about 3rd (with Warrior being first and Guardian being second). Though, the viability of the Ranger cliff falls once you have more than one.

Erics on
    fabulousFantastic.png
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I know I'm not gonna get one, but I mean, having played WoW for so long and then walking into another MMO I'm gonna have that tendency to compare.

I really didn't start enjoying playing Ele until I went dagger+dagger

Usagi wrote: »

I really didn't start enjoying playing Ele until I went dagger+dagger

Same here. I tried to make solo staff Ele work for me, and it just didn't. Even after reading a guide on D/D Ele I was struggling with it until I read the key phrase: "You should almost never be auto-attacking. If everything's on cooldown, you should be swapping attunements." This was specific to the 10Air/30Water/30Arcane build that I built up to as I leveled, but it made all the difference.

D/D Ele is something that takes some getting used to (it's not the traditional Mage), but you'll learn a lot more if you make those mistakes at 100 miles/hour by swapping attunements like a madman. The more you do it, the more you learn to weave the skills together and the less it becomes "Oh god I have four completely different playstyles at once."

Usagi