As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Monday, October 8, 2012 - The One-Oh-Furst, Part Two

• FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Framling wrote: »
    I love this one so much. "I don't rightly know..." so perfectly sums up how I feel when confronted with this.

I'm inclined to guess you want me to do something with this information, or you wouldn't have told me. But I have no idea what to do with it.

Most of the time people who talk to me about their identity issues are just looking for acceptance. Assuming you're already friends with them they're hoping that you, as their friend, will be able to help them feel more confident about asserting their identity in the world.

Well... yeah. I mean, I guess that's why these two comics seem so weirdly poignant. It's Frank reaching out to the other guy because he's got something in him that he can't keep in him anymore. Other Guy just has no frame of reference for this; it is, relative to everything he has experienced, unequivocally weird. But he wants to support his buddy, and he can tell this has been eating his buddy up. He's willing to be there, he just doesn't know what being there means.

In the end, all Frank wants is for someone to know.

These two comics are just masterfully crafted. It's just a couple goofy strips, but there's so much nuance packed in there.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Otherkin just seems so firmly rooted in... self-delusion?

I mean it's not just someone saying they feel like they are a racoon. Otherkin is generally people believing they are an anthropromorphized (sp?) racoon, of a cartoony variety. Some otherkin believe they are in actuality a fictional character (ie, I'm not just a cartoony antropromorphic hedghog, I am actually Sonic and all the cartoon adventures and video games have been telling my memories).

It's similar to people who are certain they have lived in the past, but their other lives are never "I was a oft-beaten serf in medieval england", their other lives are always "I was Cleopatra, I was Julius Ceasar." Somehow people's "memories" of these things come from grand and well-told sources.

Maybe people should just come to terms with the fact that talented artists (and/or historians) have a way of touching us on very deep and personal levels. And if you want to dress up and pretend you are Sonic, or peter pan, or a Cleopatra, I don't begruge you that. I just find it a bit silly when you try to say you actually are that character instead of someone who really likes that character.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Groosenat0rGroosenat0r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy70Z6x00TM SkyloftRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Alpha268 wrote: »
    Please no Furrys here. So far Penny Arcade was very Furry-clean, even a bit anti-Furry in some strips.

(Or Otherkin. Or whatever. I dont keep track of that shit)

Looks like no one remembers this disturbing little incident from a while back...
    i-hpNWx4P-L.jpg
    My eyes have not stopped bleeding since...

Groosenat0r on
  • ArmoredchocoboArmoredchocobo Avian LP extraordinaire Registered User regular
    Someone familiar with this aspect of the fandom tell me, though: What kind of cognitive dissonance makes anyone think they look good in a fursuit instead of like uncanny-valley aesthetic monstrosities? Is it just wishful thinking because that's the closest we can get with current technology, or what?

Why do people dress up as anime/video game characters at conventions?

They made the outfit, they want to show it off. You seem to be likening artistic pride with some kind of mental illness.

Except they seem to universally look terrible, and I'm not sure whether they're aware of that and don't care because it's as close as they can get, or they actually think it looks good. The equivalent for anime fans would be this type of thing I suppose, which I also don't get.

Look, I think the new My Little Pony is a fun cartoon. I would still run screaming in the other direction if I met this in a darkened hallway. I just want someone to tell me what goes on in these people's heads when they look in the mirror, out of curiosity.

Well, that kinda firms up the fursuit = cosplay thing rather nicely.

Let's just take your MLP reference since you brought it up.

Its been done absolutely terrible.

It's also been done relatively well.

P.S: I had to dig into google to find a suitable rainbow dash fursuit. I hope you acknowlege my efforts.

Someone familiar with this aspect of the fandom tell me, though: What kind of cognitive dissonance makes anyone think they look good in a fursuit instead of like uncanny-valley aesthetic monstrosities? Is it just wishful thinking because that's the closest we can get with current technology, or what?

They made the outfit, they want to show it off. You seem to be likening artistic pride with some kind of mental illness.

Except they seem to universally look terrible, and I'm not sure whether they're aware of that and don't care because it's as close as they can get, or they actually think it looks good. The equivalent for anime fans would be this type of thing I suppose, which I also don't get.

Look, I think the new My Little Pony is a fun cartoon. I would still run screaming in the other direction if I met this in a darkened hallway. I just want someone to tell me what goes on in these people's heads when they look in the mirror, out of curiosity.

Well that kinda affirms the analogy more.

Let's take your MLP example:

There's those that done it terribly awful.

There's also those that did it relatively well.

P.S: I had to dig into google to find a suitable rainbow dash fursuit. I hope you acknowlege my efforts.

Well that kinda affirms the analogy more.

Let's take your MLP example:

There's those that done it terribly awful.

There's also those that did it relatively well.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    You have multi-posted terribly, and well.

You have multi-posted terribly, and well.
    Yeah I have no idea what happened cuz only hit post once, how do you delete?

edited October 2012
    It's not possible to delete posts anymore, we lost that when we switched to Vanilla.

Don't worry about it, it happens, I was just having a little fun at your expense.

Gaslight on
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »

I mean it's not just someone saying they feel like they are a racoon. Otherkin is generally people believing they are an anthropromorphized (sp?) racoon, of a cartoony variety. Some otherkin believe they are in actuality a fictional character (ie, I'm not just a cartoony antropromorphic hedghog, I am actually Sonic and all the cartoon adventures and video games have been telling my memories).

It's similar to people who are certain they have lived in the past, but their other lives are never "I was a oft-beaten serf in medieval england", their other lives are always "I was Cleopatra, I was Julius Ceasar." Somehow people's "memories" of these things come from grand and well-told sources.

Maybe people should just come to terms with the fact that talented artists (and/or historians) have a way of touching us on very deep and personal levels. And if you want to dress up and pretend you are Sonic, or peter pan, or a Cleopatra, I don't begruge you that. I just find it a bit silly when you try to say you actually are that character instead of someone who really likes that character.

Exactly this.

If you're a dude who's wants to kiss other dudes, that's one thing. That's a fact of existence that's rooted in measurable reality.

But if you tell me you're literally supposed to be a raccoon person. There's simply nothing I can do about that that's of any rational consequence. I mean, besides shuffling my feet awkwardly and changing the topic.

Twenty Sided on
  • The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular

Exactly this.

If you're a dude who's wants to kiss other dudes, that's one thing.

But if you tell me you're literally supposed to be a raccoon person. There's simply nothing I can do about that that's of any rational consequence. I mean, besides shuffling my feet awkwardly and changing the topic.

I mean, you could just say "whatever makes you happy, bud". It's possible to have an empathic response in conversation when doing so costs you basically nothing.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran

Exactly this.

I'd like to ease your burden by letting you know I don't think I'm supposed to be a chocobo.

I am a chocobo who uses the internet as a smoke-screen cover to prevent PETA from sneaking into my house with chloroform and making me vanish into a dark warehouse somewhere.

With all the crazies that are out there, I'm safe cuz no one really knows.

edited October 2012

Exactly this.

I mean, you could just say "whatever makes you happy, bud". It's possible to have an empathic response in conversation when doing so costs you basically nothing.
    Well naturally that'd be my response if you told me you were an alien from another world and that the guv'ment is out to get you.

Twenty Sided on

Exactly this.

I'd like to ease your burden by letting you know I don't think I'm supposed to be a chocobo.

I am a chocobo who uses the internet as a smoke-screen cover to prevent PETA from sneaking into my house with chloroform and making me vanish into a dark warehouse somewhere.

Do you object to the way Chocobos are portrayed in the Final Fantasy games? Is it demeaning that players inbreed Chocobos or otherwise use them as beasts of burden in games?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Anyone who's religious literally believes in all sorts of crazy shit, but religious intolerance is bad, everyone! So even if someone thinks they're a chocobo or a churro or whatever the fuck, maybe prejudice is a bad idea!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Anyone who's religious literally believes in all sorts of crazy shit, but religious intolerance is bad, everyone! So even if someone thinks they're a chocobo or a churro or whatever the fuck, maybe prejudice is a bad idea!

Well I personally am not saying round up all the otherkin and burn them in a furnace. I'm not even saying shun them, humilate them, or laugh at them on the internet.

I am saying that if you actually believe that you are, I dunno, Lighthing McQueen and are angry that Pixar "got your story wrong.", then it might not hurt to get some therapy.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Exactly this.

Do you object to the way Chocobos are portrayed in the Final Fantasy games? Is it demeaning that players inbreed Chocobos or otherwise use them as beasts of burden in games?

YES.

Square totally needs to make a game where a chocobo's being badass, and not just that lame Chocobo's Dungeon crap where it's 24/7 cuteness.

I wanna see a 'bo curb-stomp someone. They owe us that much.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    some thread

Exactly this.

Well naturally that'd be my response if you told me you were an alien from another world and that the guv'ment is out to get you.

Because that's entirely analogous to what we're talking abou- oh wait, no, it's actually a bullshit straw man.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
    edited October 2012

Exactly this.

Because that's entirely analogous to what we're talking abou- oh wait, no, it's actually a bullshit straw man.
    That's possible.

The point I'm getting across here is that it's not likely to change the judgment that I think such a person is delusional. Whether I'm rude about it or polite about it doesn't change that assessment in the least. That Otherkin guy is hypothetically less crazy than tinfoil-hat guy is just a matter of degree. Their beliefs are false and non-functional.

Normally I would also respond to TychoCelchuuu by pointing out that you can be tolerant while still believing somebody to be delusional, but I'm not certain if he's just being sarcastic or not.

Twenty Sided on

Exactly this.

That's possible.

The point I'm getting across here is that it's not likely to change the judgment that I think such a person is delusional. Whether I'm rude about it or polite about it doesn't change that assessment in the least. That Otherkin guy is hypothetically less crazy than tinfoil-hat man is just a matter of degree. Their beliefs are false and non-functional.

Normally I would also respond to TychoCelchuuu by pointing out that you can be tolerant while still believing somebody to be delusional, but I'm not certain if he's just being sarcastic or not.

Fair enough, but the tone of your arguments is more than a little patronizing toward the individuals in question. I would hope, at the very least, that you would take that into account if and when you're confronted with this elsewhere.

Exactly this.

That's possible.

The point I'm getting across here is that it's not likely to change the judgment that I think such a person is delusional. Whether I'm rude about it or polite about it doesn't change that assessment in the least. That Otherkin guy is hypothetically less crazy than tinfoil-hat man is just a matter of degree. Their beliefs are false and non-functional.

Fair enough, but the tone of your arguments is more than a little patronizing toward the individuals in question. I would hope, at the very least, that you would take that into account if and when you're confronted with this elsewhere.

I've been told that I'm abrasive.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That guy drew himself as a racoon man, rather than as a normal raccoon. Wouldn't that make him a furry?

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Some people who are in the mainstream of society romanticize the lives of those living in the margins. Desperately yearning to be among those mental and cultural pioneers, they invent their own minority in which to live out their fantasy. This tends to be a tad undermining but innocuous (I'm really a cat!), somewhat insulting (Walt Disney didn't create Mickey Mouse! I AM MICKEY MOUSE), or patently racist (I'm a black man trapped in a white man's body). In some case these are legitimate mental illnesses that are spun into some kind of special class. Because they are the white bread of the world and want to be special. What they really need is to get off Tumblr and see a doctor.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited October 2012
    I like to think about someday decades after this comic, when not-Frank's grandkids will ask him to tell them stories about his Army buddies and what he did in the war.

Gaslight on
  • Groosenat0rGroosenat0r http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy70Z6x00TM SkyloftRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    How did a joke about a soldier who thinks he's a raccoon (that takes place in a webcomic) escalate into all of this...?

Groosenat0r on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I like to think about someday decades after this comic, when not-Frank's grandkids ask will him to tell them stories about his Army buddies and what he did in the war.

Five long years, he wore this watch up his raccoon ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.

• FractilionFractilion Registered User regular
    Being a furry myself, let me add my two cents. I'm not really a fursuiter, I don't think I'm an animal trapped in a human body. My experience with the fandom has been basically a matter of making peace with our differences. For instance, my boyfriend is of a more specific furry-fetish-type I myself do not identify with. And since meeting other furries in my community, I've found myself quite surrounded with those who are of that persuasion while I myself remain uninterested in such things. But over time I've found that learning to coexist has been quite painless. Having initially been alienated and weirded out by it, I probably would have remained that way had I not had exposure to these people and realized that most of them are otherwise pretty normal people. Of course, even furries within the fandom will hate on the more specific fetishes and interests within their fandom. I can't really blame people for going WTF at something that is new to them, Things society have not told us is ok. Over time I have abandoned the need for society's reaffirmation of my or anyone else's interests and have learned to use my own moral compass (there are some more fundamental taboos I've avoided for obvious reasons and will likely continue to avoid).

The rabbit hole of weirdness does just keep going further, but as an artist I've kind of learned to embrace it. I do think meeting people in person rather than surfing the internet and gawking at all the crazy shit you find changes one's perspective.

I also think the need for individuals to express themselves is vital...even to the extent of one's own survival. It's better to be ridiculed for what you are than praised for what you aren't.

edited October 2012
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I like to think about someday decades after this comic, when not-Frank's grandkids ask will him to tell them stories about his Army buddies and what he did in the war.

Five long years, he wore this watch up his raccoon ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.

What a touching story. It really moves the heart and anus...

Groosenat0r on
  • Blackie62Blackie62 Registered User regular

Yeahhhh... So every image posted in both quotes has elicited from me a panicked whimpering cry of "Kill it!" in frantic repetition. I think that sets the base on my opinion.

• Blackie62Blackie62 Registered User regular

Yeahhhh... So every image posted in both quotes has elicited from me a panicked whimpering cry of "Kill it!" in frantic repetition. I think that sets the base on my opinion.

• Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

Nope, the second is still more "burn-it-with-fire" than "'dawww", just to a lesser extent. Some things just don't look good in the real world, with human proportions.

EDIT: I swear I posted this earlier, before Blackie62's response, but maybe I too am going to be blessed by a double-post showing up later.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Fractilion wrote: »
    The rabbit hole of weirdness does just keep going further

I wonder if there's a market for a furry-themed bar called The Rabbit Hole.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited October 2012

Nope, the second is still more "burn-it-with-fire" than "'dawww", just to a lesser extent. Some things just don't look good in the real world, with human proportions.

EDIT: I swear I posted this earlier, before Blackie62's response, but maybe I too am going to be blessed by a double-post showing up later.

that's a rather weak position to take on the whole thing just on the fact that "its not good with human proportions".

No crap, what did you expect them to do, to make a 4-legged suit that's anatomically correct with real horses? Not even good cosplayers are absolutely perfect.

The fact is you can really tell that the 2nd picture had a lot more effort and skill put into it than the first, and they want to show off that handiwork.

Armoredchocobo on
  • Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular

that's a rather weak position to take on the whole thing just on the fact that "its not good with human proportions".

No crap, what did you expect them to do, to make a 4-legged suit that's anatomically correct with real horses? Not even good cosplayers are absolutely perfect.

The fact is you can really tell that the 2nd picture had a lot more effort and skill put into it than the first, and they want to show off that handiwork.

And again, hard work or no, it still looks terrible. You pretty much answered my question inadvertently by thinking the second one isn't also a creepy aesthetic nightmare.

Some kind of Stockholm Syndrome from being exposed to such things over a long period of time, I guess?

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Fractilion wrote: »
    The rabbit hole of weirdness does just keep going further

I wonder if there's a market for a furry-themed bar called The Rabbit Hole.
    Oh lawd YES. That is excellent and I am all about it. I'm gonna go dig out my old fur stuff.

edited October 2012
    That second one looks like a costume . . .
    I've seen Easter Bunny costumes, football mascots and costumes at Disney Land that look approximately like that.

I understand that you're determined to remind us of MLP's bandwagony creepiness. But come on, there are reasonable limits.

Twenty Sided on
    And again, hard work or no, it still looks terrible. You pretty much answered my question inadvertently by thinking the second one isn't also a creepy aesthetic nightmare.

Some kind of Stockholm Syndrome from being exposed to such things over a long period of time, I guess?

Or that ugly thing called "opinions" popping up where it's not wanted.

Just cuz you don't like it doesn't mean it's not good.

Goddamn furries. Ruining football.

NFL%20Mascots%20and%20Snoop.jpg