As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frustrating Experiences

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Strifer wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has said Nethack yet. It seems that most people consider the difficulty of that game a feature, as opposed to a detriment.

That is true. You can't truly succeed if your path isn't laden with failed attempts. Millions of failed attempts.

Millions of "perfect oh my god I'm almost there WHAT THE HELL I JUST CHOKED TO DEATH ON A POTION?" is more like it. Nethack was the first game I played to claim responsibility for a severe keyboard-window intersection.

I remember seeing a list once of all the unbelievable number of ways you can die to a cockatrice in Nethack, like being blindfolded and stepping on the same tile as a dead one without wearing gloves, or falling through a hole in the floor and landing on one.

Hevach on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has said Nethack yet. It seems that most people consider the difficulty of that game a feature, as opposed to a detriment.

That is true. You can't truly succeed if your path isn't laden with failed attempts. Millions of failed attempts.

Millions of "perfect oh my god I'm almost there WHAT THE HELL I JUST CHOKED TO DEATH ON A POTION?" is more like it. Nethack was the first game I played to claim responsibility for a severe keyboard-window intersection.

I remember seeing a list once of all the unbelievable number of ways you can die to a cockatrice in Nethack, like being blindfolded and stepping on the same tile as a dead one without wearing gloves, or falling through a hole in the floor and landing on one.
    My favorite is using protective gloves so you can wield the cockatrice as a weapon, getting encumbered and falling down the next set of stairs you touch. Of course in the process of rolling down the stairs, you land on your cockatrice corpse.

It still beats those fucking ants, though.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hevach wrote: »

My favorite is using protective gloves so you can wield the cockatrice as a weapon, getting encumbered and falling down the next set of stairs you touch. Of course in the process of rolling down the stairs, you land on your cockatrice corpse.

It still beats those fucking ants, though.

Or seeing a master mind flayer. I fear that letter to tis day. Tere is noting worse tan aving your face raped rigt out of fucking nowere.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    RapscallionJonesRapscallionJones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    eryu90 wrote: »
    The first Ninja Turtles game for the NES. I don't think beating that game is even possible.
    I'm sure other people have chimed in, but I've beaten this one. I know where you're coming from, though. It was an unreasonably difficult game. It seemed to have a "hump", though. Once you got over that hump, the last two thirds of the game were difficult but beatable. I'm also one of a handful of people to beat Fester's Quest. No matter how you sliced it, Fester had no hump, it was just an extraordinarily difficult video game.

These days, though, my most frustrating game experiences come at the hands of live players. I love playing shooters over Live but I'm such a mediocre gamer in that arena that I'm constantly having my ass handed to me. Halo 2 and Gears of War are recent offenders. No matter how much I play these damn games, I just can't seem to get the technique down that allows me to play like the others. No amount of practice makes me any better. I'm constantly at the bottom of the scoreboard with one or two lucky kills. It's an incredibly frustrating experience, but still I go back for more.

The only games of this type that I have ever been any good at are the Tom Clancy's. When the game mechanic requires you to land one or two shots to bring someone down, I have a tendency to do much better.

edit: I'm also one of legion of silent sufferers who have had more frustration with seemingly inoccuous titles like The Sims. I broke down and bought what I thought was going to be bullshit and wound up hopelessly addicted as soon as play began. But after several weeks of not getting it I had to tear myself away. I was having nightmares about uncooperative Sims and complaining to people who had no idea what I was talking about.

Me: He's got a perfectly good job and has a nice house but no one comes over, he's fucking lonely and too depressed to clean up after himself. The house has turned into a squalid sty and he routinely pisses his pants. I tell him to pick up but he doesn't and when he starts doing the pee pee dance, he won't go to the can, he just stands there squirming until he pisses his pants. What the hell is wrong with this guy?

Them: Is this some kind of game? They have games where you piss your pants? What is the world coming to?

RapscallionJones on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's probably been mentioned a billion times, but the box you have to push and avoid getting hit by arrows, as well as the final climb out of Hades, in God Of War 1. FUCK that.

Beating Liquid in his Hind on Extreme in MGS1: Twin Snakes. For some reason, that fight is MUCH more difficult than Metal Gear itself. God.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    It's probably been mentioned a billion times, but the box you have to push and avoid getting hit by arrows, as well as the final climb out of Hades, in God Of War 1. FUCK that.

Beating Liquid in his Hind on Extreme in MGS1: Twin Snakes. For some reason, that fight is MUCH more difficult than Metal Gear itself. God.
    Because your fighting a Helicopter.

A fucking helicopter.

Which makes no sense that you can't just hit it once and then it goes boom. No, you gotta hit it 10,000 times...

Fuckin Hinds.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    SharpieSharpie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My most frustrating experience lately has been with EBA.

What I want to know is how one can hit every beat in the beginning of a song, and yet still find the 'Elite-o-Meter' dropping to the point where you barely clear the second section. Still hitting every beat, might I add.

I guess that's why it's hard mode.

Sharpie on
    pasig.jpgPW2.jpg
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sharpie wrote: »
    My most frustrating experience lately has been with EBA.

What I want to know is how one can hit every beat in the beginning of a song, and yet still find the 'Elite-o-Meter' dropping to the point where you barely clear the second section. Still hitting every beat, might I add.

I guess that's why it's hard mode.
    Because in the harder modes you need to get 300s for the bar to go up, so getting 100s and 50s don't cut it anymore.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had a whore of a time on Gears of War recently.

Do you remember the bit where there is the dude with a troika two random dudes and a guy sniping and you need to push up a flaming car to stay in the light?

Well my copy glitched so that car WOULD NOT MOVE, if involved me having to snipe the guy in the tower with my pistol then run through the darkness and get attacked by the kryll a couple of times while getting hammered by the troika, you then need to LIVE and kill everyone else while having the troika on you since you can't use the car for cover anymore.

I was stuck on this for three days before it glitched itself back and I was happy.

Blake T on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Has Fear Effect been mentioned?

There are no continues in this game. You can only reload from a previous save. Well the final boss is incredibly difficult. And the last save point before it is on another fucking cd. Figure it out.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Basticle wrote: »

There are no continues in this game. You can only reload from a previous save. Well the final boss is incredibly difficult. And the last save point before it is on another fucking cd. Figure it out.

Holy fuck, really? That is probably the worst thing in this thread.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

No quicksave?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RapscallionJonesRapscallionJones Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    I had a whore of a time on Gears of War recently.

Do you remember the bit where there is the dude with a troika two random dudes and a guy sniping and you need to push up a flaming car to stay in the light?

Well my copy glitched so that car WOULD NOT MOVE, if involved me having to snipe the guy in the tower with my pistol then run through the darkness and get attacked by the kryll a couple of times while getting hammered by the troika, you then need to LIVE and kill everyone else while having the troika on you since you can't use the car for cover anymore.

I was stuck on this for three days before it glitched itself back and I was happy.
    Oh man, I had this same bug when I was playing through on Insane. I could move quick enough to make it through the darkness and not get killed by kryl, but Dom was another story entirely. I can't remember what it was now, but there were some circumstances that caused the car to get stuck and I spent a couple of hours trying to work out the conditions to keep it moving. It's really strange because it only happened on Insane.

RapscallionJones on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Super Mario World: Tubular
    Donkey Kong Country: Snow barrel blast
    F-zero GX: Story mode

'nuff said
    The DKC1 mountain. Oh lordy. They give you three, four levels you have to get through before you get the possibility to save, or go to another world where you CAN save. And if the snow didn't get you, the ice did. AGH.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Super Mario World: Tubular
    Donkey Kong Country: Snow barrel blast
    F-zero GX: Story mode

'nuff said
    The DKC1 mountain. Oh lordy. They give you three, four levels you have to get through before you get the possibility to save, or go to another world where you CAN save. And if the snow didn't get you, the ice did. AGH.
    MOTHERFUCKING SNOW BARREL BLAST :x :x :x

I don't remember any sort of blind rage at DKC when I was younger, but my wife and I bought it on the VC recently and we burned like 20 lives on that level and the one after it. That goddamned eye-rending snow effect is probably why I wear glasses to this day.

Ironically, also on the VC I beat Tubular on my first try. It was the one after it (with the moving platforms) that I struggled with for a bit.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought the factory levels were a lot harder in DKC. Fuck those flaming barrels.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I remember there being hidden barrels beyond the screen in Snow Barrel Blast that lets you skip huge sections of those stupid barrels. After accidentally missing a shot and somehow being instantly blasted off across the level, it wasn't too hard.

Now, the lost world in DKC2, fuck that shit.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My body temp spikes a few degrees during some of my worst moments in gaming. I have seriously almost smashed a TV between twin 25lb sledge hammers before. Hell "Blutraserei" is "Blood rage" in german XD.

But what experiences exactly you ask? Hmm...

List olol:

God of War I: Hades spike column jumping. This was actually one of those times when sledgehammers almost became involved.

Doom 3: Now...I know what you're thinking, But I was lit that night...and I hate imps and spiders. Theres nothing I hate more than not being able to shoot because my screen is jumping everywhere cause theres spider demons leaping at my or an imp coming out of nowhere and tackling me. My boomstick got love in that game.

Any Need for Speed game: fucking walls....

Armored Core series (later titles): Just....no...fucking no. What did they do to my beloved games? So much annoying shit. *fetal position*

Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance: Moloch

MK Deception: The Scorpion battle was mentioned somwhere back. Yeah...your pain is shared my friend.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory: I have the CE of this title and still have not finished it. I got to the second level...on the ship in the engine room where you're told "NOT MAEK SHOOT, SHIP GO BEWM" I think it was and I put my crosshair like right on this guy's head and shot. A few seconds later a guard comes running around the corner. "ERRAWWHAWHAW, I'M 'AWN PULL DIS TRIGGA, HYUK" *boom* me: the f-....*exit game*

Haven't touched it since.

Any RTS game where there are units that can sit a foot outside the aggro/LOS range of ANY of your units and just flood a defense position with rockets or bullets while my guys just sit there and go "Hay wuts dat?"

I'm sure there's more. I'll list them later. There was one that made me break out into this long, loud, aggressive scream, like the singer form Avenged Sevenfold on that one song....forget what game it was though...

Blutraserei on
    Tttnl.jpg

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Two words:

Button Reading

I hate it. I hate the fuck out of it. I hate the living SHIT OUT OF IT. Pretty much every A.I. in evey fighting game on the harder difficulty settings use the tactic. Look, take your heads out of your asses guys and try and develop an A.I. that uses, oh, I don't know, TACTICS instead of having it use a move at the exact same time that I do that completley counteracts my own.

Worse Offender?

Soul Calibur III

Oh hey look a 2 Frame horizontal move well since you've been using vertical moves all mactch I'll just duck and RAPE YOU.

Transporter on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Blockhead Grande in Okami is beyond human capability.

Beyond me, certainly.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Blockhead Grande in Okami is beyond human capability.

Beyond me, certainly.

I got past it with tape on my fingers and some luck.

Renzo on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This one time, in CSS, I was shooting some dudes head, and he wouldn't die :cry:

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Monster Camera Hunter Bad Angle Freedom - the Retardening.

The camera was by far the hardest beast to beat in that game.

Brolo on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory: I have the CE of this title and still have not finished it. I got to the second level...on the ship in the engine room where you're told "NOT MAEK SHOOT, SHIP GO BEWM" I think it was and I put my crosshair like right on this guy's head and shot. A few seconds later a guard comes running around the corner. "ERRAWWHAWHAW, I'M 'AWN PULL DIS TRIGGA, HYUK" *boom* me: the f-....*exit game*

WHAT?! You put away Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and you weren't even past the SECOND level. For shame man, for shame!

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Armored Core series (later titles): Just....no...fucking no. What did they do to my beloved games? So much annoying shit. *fetal position*

See, I get like that with the PS1 AC games. If you mean the series peaked at AC2, then we are in agreement. If only they'd re-release that with a graphics update and dual analog controls...

Tiemler on
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nocren wrote: »

No quicksave?

I couldn't help laughing at this, but shit...that beats any frustrating experience I've ever had, hands down.

Tal on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also, Viewtiful Joe.

Not because it's cheap, but because I die over, and over, and over again. And then, when I finally get skilled to the point that I can OWN the level I keep replaying the boss of and feel like bad-ass, I beat the stage and move onto the next...which then rapes me brutally through about 5 or 6 game overs for the next hour and a half..

Also, about those snow levels in DKC:

DKC is pretty much the only game my gf (now wife) liked to play, and she had labored over, and over, and OVER again on that level. I mean DAYS. And at one point, she threw her hands up in frustration and tossed the controller down. I picked it up, skipped 1/2 of the level using the hidden barrels (how she managed to miss these with all the deaths she must have had I don't know), and beat it on my first try - which was pure freaking luck, by the way, because I HATED that stage when I was a kid.

That was the end of her playing games with me for a long time. She was PISSED - thought I was making fun of her for dying there so many times, being a dick and showing off how 'easy' it was.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jast wrote: »

WHAT?! You put away Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and you weren't even past the SECOND level. For shame man, for shame!
    After some of my brilliant gaming exploits, I do not mock. Sometimes you're just a moron when it comes to a particular game. To wit:

FIRST OBJECTIVE IN KOTOR 1: Open the door that's right in front of you.
    OBJECTIVE STATUS: Failed.
    ELAPSED TIME: 20 minutes.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Two words:

Button Reading

I hate it. I hate the fuck out of it. I hate the living SHIT OUT OF IT. Pretty much every A.I. in evey fighting game on the harder difficulty settings use the tactic. Look, take your heads out of your asses guys and try and develop an A.I. that uses, oh, I don't know, TACTICS instead of having it use a move at the exact same time that I do that completley counteracts my own.

Worse Offender?

Soul Calibur III

Oh hey look a 2 Frame horizontal move well since you've been using vertical moves all mactch I'll just duck and RAPE YOU.

YES.

This is why fighting games in general frustrate the hell out of me unless I'm playing vs another human (then I'm frustated for other reasons, mostly being my own suckatude). But AI that essentially is a mindreader (A human would have to be to counteract moves the same way) annoys the even living crap out of me.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm currently playing Ratchet and Clank. I've beaten Ninja Gaiden and got to the final boss sequence in God of War's God Mode. (Just trying to illustrate that I'm not a total gaming tard here.)

So, when were they going to tell me that the final boss of this game is in a whole other spectrum of difficulty? Not only do my attacks seem grossly inneffective, but the sequence (Which is surprisingly long) starts from the beginning each time you die.

Frustrating.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actually, he's not that hard, he's just expensive. You should use your blaster in the first two stages (high damage, cheap ammo, useful whilst jumping), then either the Devastator, Tesla Claw (tapping it makes it do far more damage than holding it down, apparently) or RYNO. The last one makes him a cakewalk, or so I'm told; I couldn't afford it.

Personally, I just shot him up full of D rockets, then used the hella expensive PDA to get more ammo. Went through 10k gears worth of ammo, but at least I finished the game. ;)

Glal on
  • Options
    DevKimikoDevKimiko Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In Jak X racing when your car rolls/spins out at the smallest opportunity. Oh my god it filled me with haet, especially in the catch 'n grab levels. The Sandshark was the most awful car for rolling. The rubberbanding AI in that game was also kinda lame. In the end it got quite frustrating because you knew your skill had little to do with the actual outcome of the race.

DevKimiko on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Actually, he's not that hard, he's just expensive. You should use your blaster in the first two stages (high damage, cheap ammo, useful whilst jumping), then either the Devastator, Tesla Claw (tapping it makes it do far more damage than holding it down, apparently) or RYNO. The last one makes him a cakewalk, or so I'm told; I couldn't afford it.

Personally, I just shot him up full of D rockets, then used the hella expensive PDA to get more ammo. Went through 10k gears worth of ammo, but at least I finished the game. ;)

My main weapon of choice has been the gold suck cannon as he drops a lot of vacuumables and it uses no ammo. I can get up to the spot where he starts firing blue orbs, but then I just run out of health. :(

I also couldn't afford the RYNO... In fact, I spent most of my bolts on the gold weapons, so I can't even afford the Tesla Claw.

I can do the pattern, it just takes so long that I crap out before the big finish. (I make too many mistakes.)

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Don't try and cheap out on him. He has a tonne of health, and it's very tricky to not lose health at least once every couple of his phase cycles (and you might've lost some on the first two fights to start with). Go for the highest damage weapon available to you that's still useful in the situation- in my case it was Devastator from far away, and the Visibombs from up close (because they fly slowly and you might get hit before it even impacts if you're on the other side of the arena).

But yeah, you will need about 40 Devastator rockets to bring him down; so, ~300 for the initial load, and ~3000 for every consecutive one you get via the PDA. Unless you're really patient and really dexterious and chip him to death with cheaper weapons.

Glal on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    leaf wrote: »
    This one time, in CSS, I was shooting some dudes head, and he wouldn't die :cry:

Urgh, yeah.

Last night I emptied a P90* into somebody trapped in a corner from 10 metres and he took 10 damage. What the fuck?

Course, he sat there while I fired then put a deagle round through my face.

*B-3-4. Err, the one that's also on GoldenEye.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    leaf wrote: »

Urgh, yeah.

Last night I emptied a P90* into somebody trapped in a corner from 10 metres and he took 10 damage. What the fuck?

Course, he sat there while I fired then put a deagle round through my face.

*B-3-4. Err, the one that's also on GoldenEye.

CSS has some fucked up hitboxes man. You should have shot the air to his left.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »

See, I get like that with the PS1 AC games. If you mean the series peaked at AC2, then we are in agreement. If only they'd re-release that with a graphics update and dual analog controls...

AC2 Rocked. From AC2:AA - Silent Line it was ok. Coolness bottomed out at Nexus on. Cool graphics, shit load of parts....but that don't mean shit when heat, defense, and energy mechanics are broken. I hear AC4 is supposed to touch on this greatly and is supposed to, in turn, kick ass.

Jast wrote:

'Fraid so. I have actually touched it again, but my computer is moody like the Millenium Falcon. Bitch runs great for an old machine, but...theres always something wrong with it. Every time I try to play it it desktop crashes n'shit. Gets annoying. I'll have a 64-bit system all shiny and new within the next few months. I'll do it then. On my gamers honor. :P.

Blutraserei on
    Tttnl.jpg

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The last stage of Psychonauts. There's a crying child, and you're doing the most demanding platforming in the game. The platforming isn't so bad, it's this whiny bitch of a kid.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Don't try and cheap out on him. He has a tonne of health, and it's very tricky to not lose health at least once every couple of his phase cycles (and you might've lost some on the first two fights to start with). Go for the highest damage weapon available to you that's still useful in the situation- in my case it was Devastator from far away, and the Visibombs from up close (because they fly slowly and you might get hit before it even impacts if you're on the other side of the arena).

But yeah, you will need about 40 Devastator rockets to bring him down; so, ~300 for the initial load, and ~3000 for every consecutive one you get via the PDA. Unless you're really patient and really dexterious and chip him to death with cheaper weapons.

Well, you were certainly right about this. I beat him by unloading boatloads of Devastator rounds into him. By the end of it, I had lost 2 health orbs. Shocking how much easier it was without all the cheapness. :D

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    countvaselinecountvaseline Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GTA:SA on PC

The part at the airfield where you have to drive a motorcycle onto a plane as it starts to take off. Oh how I tried and tried and tried. Defeated I turn to the interweb. Turns out this task is impossible (plane goes too fast) unless you re-configure your PC to 640x480 16bit colour. Nice going there Rockstar.
    And while I'm at it, the fecking jet you have to fly above and parachute onto, takes about 5 minutes to get to it and by the time you've turned it's gone, fisson mailed. Actually anything to do with planes in GTA:SA is a pain. I fecking hated the toy planes in Vice City too.

countvaseline on
    helter.jpg