Options

2013 Registration: Badges have started to arrive!

1235711

Posts

  • Options
    spmahnspmahn Registered User regular
    Schmulki wrote: »
    Just wondering, since it seems like 3-day passes are in MUCH higher demand than single-day ones, to the point of people buying 3 1-day passes to make their own 3-day pass, maybe for future years, consider skewing the ratio of 3-days-to-1-days so there are more 3-day passes? If people are just putting 3 single-day passes together, it's not like those single-day ones are serving the assumed purpose to allow more people to go to the show for just 1 day, anyway.

    The thing is, Saturday is always the busiest day, then Friday, then Sunday. Lots of people only can or want to attend for just one day. No reason to exclude a large segment of the audience by only offering three day passes. The only real answer to the problem would to offer more passes, and as anyone who has attended PAX before can attest, the last thing that is needed is more people. Last year it was filled to capacity as it is, lines for popular titles were cut off several hours before the exhibition hall closed for the day. It's unfortunate that space and safety concerns limit the number of people that can attend, but them's the breaks. PAX is tied to the BCEC for several more years, and although it may not be large enough to meet demands, it's the best we've got for now.

  • Options
    EndersstyleEndersstyle Registered User regular
    well its economics if venue costs z and you can only have y spaces ticket A is worth $70 and B is worth $35 you have to make sure that the total of all the A+B=Y(per day) and are > or = Z (costs)

    So in truth if the costs of the venue goes up they must Raise the cost of tickets or decrease the amount of 3 day passes and increase the amount of singles.
    (this doesn't take into account the cost of making the passes and the cut that the purchase site takes and things like that)

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Schmulki wrote: »
    Just wondering, since it seems like 3-day passes are in MUCH higher demand than single-day ones, to the point of people buying 3 1-day passes to make their own 3-day pass, maybe for future years, consider skewing the ratio of 3-days-to-1-days so there are more 3-day passes? If people are just putting 3 single-day passes together, it's not like those single-day ones are serving the assumed purpose to allow more people to go to the show for just 1 day, anyway.

    The people who run PAX rarely check these forums. Also this gets suggested every year ;)

  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Schmulki wrote: »
    Just wondering, since it seems like 3-day passes are in MUCH higher demand than single-day ones, to the point of people buying 3 1-day passes to make their own 3-day pass, maybe for future years, consider skewing the ratio of 3-days-to-1-days so there are more 3-day passes? If people are just putting 3 single-day passes together, it's not like those single-day ones are serving the assumed purpose to allow more people to go to the show for just 1 day, anyway.

    While I don't think they have said officially what the formula is for calculating 3-day vs 1-days, its likely that its not all up to PA. Probably the venue and\or fire marshal rules come into play. After the 3days are sold out, the single day passes do convince quite a few people to only come 2 days instead of one (since 2 day passes = 3-day $ wise), thus leaving a free passday for someone else to experience PAX. Some would consider that a good thing.

    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    archantarchant Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate place.

    I have ordered my badges but have no email saying so (I thought for certain it showed up when I got them on the 9th, but now I can't find it). I see a NEGATIVE 280 (I bought 4, 70x4=280) DEBIT to my bank account that is in PENDING status, that reads "Balance Adjustment" with the date 10/11/2012 on it. Is anyone else having this sort of problem/behavior? What should I do? If I need to buy single passes I will, but if I've already bought them then I don't want to waste 400$ buying 3 days of passes for 4 people.

    Again I apologize if this is not the correct place, I just don't see anywhere else to ask. Feel free to make fun of/ostracize me if you feel it is necessary, but also please point me in the right direction if you can.

    Thanks everyone.

    archant on
  • Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Please email registration@paxsite.com and check your spam filters- add registration@paxsite.com to your contact list to make sure you get any replies.

    They will tell you what happened with it.

    No one on the forums will be able to help you beyond that :)

    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

    Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    archant wrote: »
    I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate place.

    I have ordered my badges but have no email saying so (I thought for certain it showed up when I got them on the 9th, but now I can't find it). I see a NEGATIVE 280 (I bought 4, 70x4=280) DEBIT to my bank account that is in PENDING status, that reads "Balance Adjustment" with the date 10/11/2012 on it. Is anyone else having this sort of problem/behavior? What should I do? If I need to buy single passes I will, but if I've already bought them then I don't want to waste 400$ buying 3 days of passes for 4 people.

    Again I apologize if this is not the correct place, I just don't see anywhere else to ask. Feel free to make fun of/ostracize me if you feel it is necessary, but also please point me in the right direction if you can.

    Thanks everyone.

    The name the email comes from is Interactive Ticketing, it says nothing about PAX on the name or subject. Double check your emails you may just have missed it.

  • Options
    nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    archant wrote: »
    I apologize in advance if this is not the appropriate place.

    I have ordered my badges but have no email saying so (I thought for certain it showed up when I got them on the 9th, but now I can't find it). I see a NEGATIVE 280 (I bought 4, 70x4=280) DEBIT to my bank account that is in PENDING status, that reads "Balance Adjustment" with the date 10/11/2012 on it. Is anyone else having this sort of problem/behavior? What should I do? If I need to buy single passes I will, but if I've already bought them then I don't want to waste 400$ buying 3 days of passes for 4 people.

    Again I apologize if this is not the correct place, I just don't see anywhere else to ask. Feel free to make fun of/ostracize me if you feel it is necessary, but also please point me in the right direction if you can.

    Thanks everyone.

    When you ordered, a confirmation page with registration codes should have popped up. Do you remember seeing/printing/screen capturing that? I believe you can access your order with those codes?

    PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    And now we can get back to actual registration :) Yes I know I made an off topic comment too.

    Predictions on Saturdays selling out? I'm saying next Monday.

    so it's sunday night and none of the single-day passes are even low yet. any updated predictions? thoughts on why 3-days flew but single-days are still hanging around?

    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised that single day passes aren't going as fast. Are there just alot more single days than weekends?

    This space for rent
  • Options
    Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    It might be because of the limit of 5 passes per mailing address. So, people who would have ordered Fri-Sat-Sun for 2 people now CAN'T. So they are trying to figure out how to do it. I myself got Fri-Sat-Sun for me and Sat-Sun for my nephew (his 18th bday is just after PAXE 2013, and he's in game design classes at his high school and planning on going to college for it too.) On the Friday, I might just hang in the lobby and let him borrow my Fri badge so he can go to the concerts (I have problems with loud noises in crowded spaces)

  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Fetch26291 wrote: »
    It might be because of the limit of 5 passes per mailing address. So, people who would have ordered Fri-Sat-Sun for 2 people now CAN'T. So they are trying to figure out how to do it. I myself got Fri-Sat-Sun for me and Sat-Sun for my nephew (his 18th bday is just after PAXE 2013, and he's in game design classes at his high school and planning on going to college for it too.) On the Friday, I might just hang in the lobby and let him borrow my Fri badge so he can go to the concerts (I have problems with loud noises in crowded spaces)

    you might email registration@paxsite.com to be sure, but i don't think that's how it works. it was discussed at some point earlier in this thread, someone bought a bunch of single day passes and was concerned, but as i recall it was fine because it did not exceed 5 per day. can anyone confirm or deny this?

    edit: i'm curious, so i went ahead and emailed them myself. will update when i get a response.

    tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Fetch26291 wrote: »
    It might be because of the limit of 5 passes per mailing address. So, people who would have ordered Fri-Sat-Sun for 2 people now CAN'T. So they are trying to figure out how to do it. I myself got Fri-Sat-Sun for me and Sat-Sun for my nephew (his 18th bday is just after PAXE 2013, and he's in game design classes at his high school and planning on going to college for it too.) On the Friday, I might just hang in the lobby and let him borrow my Fri badge so he can go to the concerts (I have problems with loud noises in crowded spaces)

    I'm pretty sure that some other folks in here were able to order two sets of single days just fine. Like tvethiopia says, send the email, but I think the spirit of the restriction is to limit "sets". I agree that it's poorly worded in that case.

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    And now we can get back to actual registration :) Yes I know I made an off topic comment too.

    Predictions on Saturdays selling out? I'm saying next Monday.

    so it's sunday night and none of the single-day passes are even low yet. any updated predictions? thoughts on why 3-days flew but single-days are still hanging around?

    I'm guessing that Prime's crazy sellout got the East people on notice that *really* wanted to go, and that's what sold out the 3-days so fast. Now it's just "regular" demand for the single days, which as we've seen in the past take quite a while to sell out in comparison to the 3-days.

  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i asked:
    Forumers are curious: when buying single-day badges, are you limited to buying 5 TOTAL, or just 5 per day? For example, if I wanted to buy Fri, Sat, and Sun badges for three people--a total of 9 single-day badges--would this exceed the limit or not?

    registration@paxsite.com replied:
    The best way to not get flagged during your registration is to have each person purchase their own tickets with their own registration.
    Every registration that purchases more than 5 tickets will be flagged and examined by the registration manager.

    Thank you,
    Client services

    so i would interpret this to mean it that in the situation i described in my question, the transaction would be flagged, but since it is reviewed by an actual person it would probably not be cancelled if everything looks legit. however, since that makes a lot of work for the reg manager who is diligently trying to weed out scalpers, that situation should be avoided if at all possible. or at least that's my take.

    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    And now we can get back to actual registration :) Yes I know I made an off topic comment too.

    Predictions on Saturdays selling out? I'm saying next Monday.

    so it's sunday night and none of the single-day passes are even low yet. any updated predictions? thoughts on why 3-days flew but single-days are still hanging around?

    I'm guessing that Prime's crazy sellout got the East people on notice that *really* wanted to go, and that's what sold out the 3-days so fast. Now it's just "regular" demand for the single days, which as we've seen in the past take quite a while to sell out in comparison to the 3-days.
    I've been wondering, how much of Prime's insane sell out rate was attributed to the huge League of Legends presence there? After reading recently that LOL is the most played game in the world by some metrics (including a reasonable premise of 1 game played in the last 30 days) combined with the lack of a Blizzcon in 2012, perhaps a 24 hour sellout of everything is not the norm.

    I'm still going to be checking like crazy come April / May for PAX Prime 2013 badges, though. :)

    "Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's no way to tell from the outside, and nobody is going to give that sort of information out publicly. Also, this thread is about PAX East ;)

  • Options
    MithrasMithras Registered User regular
    I don't know why I'm so annoyed by this, but:

    3-day passes sell out after 1 day. 2 weeks later there are still plenty of passes for all 3 days. Doesn't this strike everyone as a clear case of "oops, we messed up the ratio of 3-days : singles"? And yes, I know people can choose to buy each day individually, I know I "should be grateful they even have a discounted 3-day system." However, if you want to offer 3-day passes, then offer enough for any who want them. When you're talking about local conventions (aka, those that don't have a big national or international draw), it makes sense that local may only want to attend for one day. However, for those who fly/train/drive cross country, you know it's for a 3-day attendance.

  • Options
    govtarkingovtarkin Registered User new member
    Umm... wow did not know that they were going on sale so early and I thought I signed up for a email notification when they were going on sale, its good to only see 5 3day passes on ebay... ugh cry

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    govtarkin wrote: »
    Umm... wow did not know that they were going on sale so early and I thought I signed up for a email notification when they were going on sale, its good to only see 5 3day passes on ebay... ugh cry

    There is no email notification. They tweeted when they went on sale, like they've done to notify people the last few years.

  • Options
    sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    Anyone know why is it that PAX Prime sold out in like 3 days, but PAX East has had single days passes left over for what feels like an eternity now?

    I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Could be a number of reasons. Number/distribution of passes, no LoL tourney at East, that whole hurricane thing that's kind of knocked out much of the East coast, time of the year much less convenient for people, etc.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Prime tends to be arguably bigger because September is right before the Holiday rush, so plenty of announcements and sneak peeks at AAA titles.

    East occurs during that hibernation the industry takes after the holidays are over.

    Other factors include money (East prep is during holidays when funds are stretched), timing (East is right in the middle of the spring semester), venue (East might have greatest capacity for more people) and so on.

    I mean, last year was during Easter weekend, and every pass sold out except Sunday's.

    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jrdobbsjrdobbs Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    govtarkin wrote: »
    Umm... wow did not know that they were going on sale so early and I thought I signed up for a email notification when they were going on sale, its good to only see 5 3day passes on ebay... ugh cry

    There is no email notification. They tweeted when they went on sale, like they've done to notify people the last few years.

    yeah, same here. i am on the @Official_PAX list but missed it and forgot to set notifications..my mistake and it cost me. guess an email list would have been more reliable at least for a social media challenged person like myself. live and learn. btw - already saw the first post on that <person name>list site so I am sure they are out there if you want to pay up....ugh ugh

    Get Slack

    JR
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, single days are still available for all three days. That's likely much cheaper than paying a reseller.

  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Well, single days are still available for all three days. That's likely much cheaper than paying a reseller.

    for some reason i feel like there are a lot of people who don't understand this. i've seen quite a few people post on twitter that they missed their chance to go to paxeast because 3-days sold out so fast. it's only a $35 difference to get 3 single-days, which i suppose some people might not like, but it's doesn't seem like enough of a difference to put so many people off. i just don't get it.

    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    WackBagWackBag Registered User regular
    It didn't put me off, though I'd rather pocket the $35. I would just of liked to see some system in place that if I am going to buy all 3 days why couldn't I just convert that into a 3-day pass? I don't believe it's a money grab, again, just would of liked to see an option, especially if all 3 days are still in the green. But I got my tickets, so I'm a happy camper.

    Pax East 2014 checklist:
    3 Day Pass [X] - BYOC [X] - Accomodations [X] - Travel [ X ] - Time Off [ X ]
  • Options
    just1legendjust1legend Registered User regular
    Now this is a good what if question, what if LoL was not at PAX Prime next year? Now don't get me wrong, this is an East topic area and LoL is very popular but what if it wasn't there for PAX Prime. That might offset the count for the 3 day passes and the one day passes making it free for those that want to come for PAX for what it is. Again this is an East topic area not a Prime topic are but what if this happened?

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Now this is a good what if question, what if LoL was not at PAX Prime next year? Now don't get me wrong, this is an East topic area and LoL is very popular but what if it wasn't there for PAX Prime. That might offset the count for the 3 day passes and the one day passes making it free for those that want to come for PAX for what it is. Again this is an East topic area not a Prime topic are but what if this happened?

    As you say, off topic, so we can wait and see how it works out for Prime.

  • Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    Saturday badges are now at low.

  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Saturday is the single day that sells out first.

    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    If you haven't purchased your badges yet, tonight might be the last night to get all three one days. https://twitter.com/Official_PAX/status/274281885855784961

  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Sat badges are gone!

  • Options
    djangoxdjangox Registered User new member
    By when do you think that sunday tickets will be sold out? I'm thinking about going but I'm trying to get some people with me so I have yet to register, and I don't want to be too late.

  • Options
    gljvdgljvd Registered User regular
    I think it goes Saturday >Friday > Sunday normaly . So Sunday should be the last to go. You should really sign up to follow the pax feeds on twitter and set some sort of alert. When the 3 days and Saturdays were almost out they tweeted about it.

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2012
    djangox wrote: »
    By when do you think that sunday tickets will be sold out? I'm thinking about going but I'm trying to get some people with me so I have yet to register, and I don't want to be too late.

    There's no way to tell for sure other than a possible tweet from http://twitter.com/official_pax. The rule of pax is if you're going to go, buy your passes asap.

    zerzhul on
  • Options
    ZakkyZakky Registered User regular
    We bought 4 sets of Fri/Sat/Sun passes for our family (3 1 day passes). It looks like it may just be me and my husband making the trip up to Boston. Is there any way to get reimbursed for the left over tickets or do we just need to figure out a way to sell via other means? Thanks!

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Zakky wrote: »
    We bought 4 sets of Fri/Sat/Sun passes for our family (3 1 day passes). It looks like it may just be me and my husband making the trip up to Boston. Is there any way to get reimbursed for the left over tickets or do we just need to figure out a way to sell via other means? Thanks!

    email pax_questions@paxsite.com

    The default answer is "no refunds" but I've heard that they can make exceptions for extreme circumstances.

  • Options
    SpicosaurusSpicosaurus SpaceRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2013
    .

    zerzhul on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    hey y'all, in case you haven't noticed, friday badges are now LOW! if you or anyone you know has been slacking on picking one up, it's time to move.

    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
Sign In or Register to comment.