PAX East Train Alliance 2013 - the Pre-Thread Thread

2

Posts

  • awkookawkook Registered User regular
    Alright, I went onto amtracks website to buy tickets from Saco to North Station on the saturday of PAX. The site is telling me that they're ALL SOLD OUT! Can anyone else believe that? I cannot. It's so far in advance, I mean I would much rather take the amtrack rather than drive to boston.

  • SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Got tickets for the 176 on the way up (leaving Philly at 1:55 edit: on Thurs) on the way up, and, this might sound strange to some, but on the way back, I got ones for the 9:30 PM on Sun night which gets into philly at 4:35 AM on the way back. Figure that's late enough to do everything I want on Sun and enough time to catch some sleep after the con!

    Schmulki on
  • chlsebrzchlsebrz Registered User regular
    We're booking the Metal Gear Solid (I think that's what its called) on the Wed, arriving at 910pm on Thursday evening. This made the most sense to us as we don't want to miss the Friday PAX activities. Is anyone else planning on taking this trip?

    448 Lake Shore Limited at 930pm on March 20.

    I'm planning on bringing Cards Against Humanity, Munchkin, some DS Games, and possibly Dominion

  • AsmodeusLoreAsmodeusLore Registered User regular
    aikoe wrote: »
    I don't know if this helps anyone, but I'm planning on taking the PAX Train this year, Metal Gear Line. IIRC it was the 448 Lake Shore Limited, and here is the schedule plus one-way cost:

    Thursday March 21 2013
    Chicago 9:30 pm ($101)
    Toledo 2:50 - 3:20 am ($86)
    Cleveland 5:35 - 5:50 am ($77)
    Buffalo 8:58 - 9:08 am ($58)
    Albany 2:50 - 3:25 pm ($27)
    Boston 9:10 pm

    My wife and I will be joining up for the Metal Gear Line in Buffalo. I'll be offering up a D&D game for folks, and looking to play some games of whatever else is offered.

  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    awkook wrote: »
    Alright, I went onto amtracks website to buy tickets from Saco to North Station on the saturday of PAX. The site is telling me that they're ALL SOLD OUT! Can anyone else believe that? I cannot. It's so far in advance, I mean I would much rather take the amtrack rather than drive to boston.

    Another option if you want to get to South Station from north is C&J bus service. They have terminals in Dover NH along with Portsmouth NH and Newburyport MA. Still have to drive a bit down 95 to get there but still better than driving into the city. Parking is free also which is a plus.

    But keep an eye on the Amtrak site. If they see a lot of activity at one particular time they sometimes put more trains and routes into service. I'm not sure how it works on the Downeaster, but they often increase Acela and Northeast Regional trains during holiday peaks and what not.


  • The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    Glad to see a couple others are taking the 448 Lake Shore. I'm from MA so I'll only be on the last 3-3.5 hours, but should be a good ride if I can find some people to get some games going with.

    PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • rileyperrileyper Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Taking the metal gear line from Chicago

    I'm bringing 5 people including me from team9000gaming.

    I will bring Fluxx (a few different variants of it) and a few other games undecided yet

    rileyper on
    Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
    Pax South 2015 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [ ] BYOC [x]
    Pax East 2015 checklist: Accommodations[ ] Travel [ ] Time Off [ ] BYOC [ ]
    fss.png
  • sassfactor4sassfactor4 Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    I am likely taking this train, its $49 from penn station with pricing as of right now. The ACELA express is $107 and a whopping 40 minutes faster, so I'll pass on that.

    Friday, March 22, 2013
    170 Northeast Regional (NYP - BOS)

    Depart: 8:30 am, Fri, Mar 22, 2013
    Arrive: 12:43 pm, Fri, Mar 22, 2013

  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    aikoe wrote: »
    I don't know if this helps anyone, but I'm planning on taking the PAX Train this year, Metal Gear Line. IIRC it was the 448 Lake Shore Limited, and here is the schedule plus one-way cost:

    Wednesday March 20 2013
    Chicago 9:30 pm ($101)
    Thursday March 21 2013
    Toledo 2:50 - 3:20 am ($86)
    Cleveland 5:35 - 5:50 am ($77)
    Buffalo 8:58 - 9:08 am ($58)
    Albany 2:50 - 3:25 pm ($27)
    Boston 9:10 pm

    If you book Leaving Chicago (or South Bend, IN) on March 21st on the 448, You will miss the entire first day, arriving 9:10 PM on Fri 22nd. Missing PAX is bad. Also we will miss out on your company, which is also bad.

    On the plus side Amtrak is pretty laid back about changing times and cancellations.

    smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • JOEPROJOEPRO Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei Wilmington, DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Taking the Sonic Line and bringing my 3DS; MK7, Sonic Gen, Star Fox, Pokemon White!

    176 NE Regional (WIL-BOS) - Arrives 8:00pm Thursday - $59

    173 NE Regional (BOS-WIL) - Departs 11:05am Monday - $59

    JOEPRO on
    The ex-hosts of X-Play & Attack of the Show should be the floor hosts of the twitch.tv streams at PAX East!
  • Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    Sonic Line (DC-Penn-NY-Boston) Passengers - what board games are you bringing/want to see on the train?

    Who is going to PAX South?
  • xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm taking a way earlier train so no Sonic Line for me this time.

    Regional 172
    Departing DC at 7:25am
    Arriving in Boston at 3:12pm

    steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • NewspaperCraneNewspaperCrane Registered User regular
    rileyper wrote: »
    Taking the metal gear line from Chicago

    I'm bringing 5 people including me from team9000gaming.

    I will bring Fluxx (a few different variants of it) and a few other games undecided yet

    Don't even act like you're bringing us, :D.

    Speaking of such things, I'll have a copy of cards against humanity with me, and I'm thinking of trying to run a LAN party on the train... Thoughts about this?

  • mmpiemmpie Registered User regular
    I think we'll be taking the Sonic Line (getting on in Philly)- first timer here, very much looking forward to it!

    PAX East 2014. Let's go.

    I mostly tweet about food
  • gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I'm leaving Philadelphia Thursday on the Northeast Regional 172, arriving at South Station at 3:12 p.m. I would love to meet some others going to PAX on this train, but nobody has mentioned it yet. Is anyone planning on taking this train? If not, any guesses on weather or not there will be a lot of PAX people, based solely on the fact that it's a train to Boston on the Thursday before PAX?

  • xenardxenard Registered User regular
    gonexall wrote: »
    I'm leaving Philadelphia Thursday on the Northeast Regional 172, arriving at South Station at 3:12 p.m. I would love to meet some others going to PAX on this train, but nobody has mentioned it yet. Is anyone planning on taking this train? If not, any guesses on weather or not there will be a lot of PAX people, based solely on the fact that it's a train to Boston on the Thursday before PAX?

    I'm getting on the Regional 172 in DC!! Thought I had to ride this one alone.

    steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular

    xenard wrote: »

    I'm getting on the Regional 172 in DC!! Thought I had to ride this one alone.

    Cool! This is a good sign indeed. I think there are many more people going to Pax than frequent the forums, so color me optimistic. I'll have Cthulhu dice for sure, and possibly some other table tops for the Thursday night thingy in the lobby. I'm on the fence about bringing my DS or Vita. Does anyone know if there is WiFi on the Northeast Regional?

  • Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    @smerk sounds like you're talking from experience.... :)

  • Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    Traditionally, 176 is the Sonic line - maybe though (not for this year since I know that a lot of people have already bought their tickets) we can discuss moving it to the 174 in order to get in earlier... something to remember for next year.

    Who is going to PAX South?
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    yeah the problem is based on when they all hook up. I remember @Moe Fwacky working on that in the past and for whatever reason the 176 was typically the best.

  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    yeah the problem is based on when they all hook up. I remember @Moe Fwacky working on that in the past and for whatever reason the 176 was typically the best.

    Yeah, the issue was hooking up with the Metroid line (which only runs once a day) and not having them get screwed by a short connection, but also not getting into Boston at like midnight:30, and also also not being the Acela which costs $texas.

  • GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    Schmulki wrote: »
    Got tickets for the 176 on the way up (leaving Philly at 1:55 edit: on Thurs) on the way up, and, this might sound strange to some, but on the way back, I got ones for the 9:30 PM on Sun night which gets into philly at 4:35 AM on the way back. Figure that's late enough to do everything I want on Sun and enough time to catch some sleep after the con!

    I'll be with you on the way up to Boston, but there's no way I'm going home that late on Sunday (or early on Monday).

    I'll look into what board/card games I have that might be able to get "portabalized", but otherwise I'll likely just partake in other people's festivities.

    I am on board for 176 on the way up to Boston and will meet you guys near the back. I am on the 169 back down to Philly, which I believe is leaving Boston South Station at 6:40pm and arriving in Philly at 12:30am.

    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    GrimRupert wrote: »
    I'll look into what board/card games I have that might be able to get "portabalized", but otherwise I'll likely just partake in other people's festivities.

    Yea, I will decide when it's a bit closer. I'd love to get a game in that takes some time since, well, we have some time! But I figure it can't be anything with too many bits (especially ones which might slide with the train's movement), don't know how much space we'll have, and don't know how many people on the train would be into something bigger/longer. At the very least, I'll have my "box o'filler" and probably Munchkin (as it all fits in one box quite easily).

    I'll probably also have an iPad with me and have a decent handful of board games on there as well.

  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    The issue with the Sonic Line is that technically it starts in like Georgia or Florida, somewhere way down south. We catch in around noon in DC/Baltimore because that makes it early but doable for the people down south. The real question is, does anyone actually ride the Sonic Line the whole way in? I would guess that at most we have a tiny handful doing so. If the numbers are that small, it might be worth it to shift the Sonic Line to an earlier NE Regional. I know a LOT of people would jump back on if they got to Boston in time for the full PokeCrawl and/or PrePAX Dinner.

    Also, as stated before I will be doing my normal "stalk the dining car and grab a table for gaming". Last year was pretty much All Cards Against Humanity All the Time. We will also have some magic decks, Munchkin, Mad Scientist University, and a smattering of other tabletop fun. Come join us!

    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    Looking at the Regional 172 or 174 for me and Robziel. We'll be leaving out on DC. I'll have confirmation tonight.

  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    ransim wrote: »
    Looking at the Regional 172 or 174 for me and Robziel. We'll be leaving out on DC. I'll have confirmation tonight.

    Just to be clear though, as far as I know the official Sonic Line PAX train is still the 176 NE Regional.

    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    flatline wrote: »
    The issue with the Sonic Line is that technically it starts in like Georgia or Florida, somewhere way down south. We catch in around noon in DC/Baltimore because that makes it early but doable for the people down south. The real question is, does anyone actually ride the Sonic Line the whole way in? I would guess that at most we have a tiny handful doing so. If the numbers are that small, it might be worth it to shift the Sonic Line to an earlier NE Regional. I know a LOT of people would jump back on if they got to Boston in time for the full PokeCrawl and/or PrePAX Dinner.

    Also, as stated before I will be doing my normal "stalk the dining car and grab a table for gaming". Last year was pretty much All Cards Against Humanity All the Time. We will also have some magic decks, Munchkin, Mad Scientist University, and a smattering of other tabletop fun. Come join us!

    It's the Metroid and Star Fox lines that are the issue - they only run once a day, and IIRC the connection to the earlier NE Regionals is pretty tight for one or both of them.

  • SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity, where did these names come from? I never saw a single reference on Amtrak's site to any sonic line, and obviously, nothing to do with Metroid or Star Fox. I'm guessing that's just a thing around here, but it just seems confusing.

  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Schmulki wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, where did these names come from? I never saw a single reference on Amtrak's site to any sonic line, and obviously, nothing to do with Metroid or Star Fox. I'm guessing that's just a thing around here, but it just seems confusing.

    They're named after video game characters because it's more fun to say than, like, Northeast Regional 176. I think Prime started it.
    Last year's thread: forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149698/east-pax-east-train-alliance-2012/p1

  • SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Ah, OK. More fun? Sure. Easier for people to figure out what's going on? No :P

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Schmulki wrote: »
    Ah, OK. More fun? Sure. Easier for people to figure out what's going on? No :P

    Not true, usually. In past years @Moe Fwacky has done the legwork of putting together all the train schedules to easily point out which line is which set of trains, so it's not confusing whatsoever. The people talking about the lines by their code names here are just people who have done this before so they know which is which. This year, nobody has taken the time to do that legwork yet, and @Moe Fwacky will likely not have time to do so. I'm sure some of the folks in here though could take moe's picture from the wiki and info from last year's thread and put together a nice list.

  • SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Well, then if/when that's added, I will retract that statement. Till then, 176 for me :)

  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The real fun is on NE Regional 66. Leaves PHL at 12:15am, arrives at 8am.

    It's the bestest, and you also get the fun peoplewatching opportunity of "who the hell else is boarding an Amtrak train at midnight?"

    I highly doubt I'll see anyone on it though.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • randy_wreckedrandy_wrecked Gunslinger Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    I was going to fly to PAX this year but you guys swayed me! I'll be heading up on the Sonic line, boarding in Philly.

    Train 648: HARRISBURG, PA - PHILADELPHIA (30TH ST), PA
    Depart 11:00 AM, Thursday, March 21, 2013
    $27.00

    Train 176: PHILADELPHIA (30TH ST), PA - BOSTON (SOUTH STATION), MA
    Depart 1:55 PM, Thursday, March 21, 2013
    $59.00

    Bringing my Vita, 3DS, and Cards Against Humanity.

    Video Game Hangover is a podcast for gamers who overindulge.
    Put it in your ear holes.
  • APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Trouble with the 67 as a return venture is that its so late. I picked it so for once I could stay until the very end of PAX-E, but I'll probably be sleeping more than enjoying the sonic-line antics.

    We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

    Twitter: @APacManSays
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    ransim wrote: »
    Looking at the Regional 172 or 174 for me and Robziel. We'll be leaving out on DC. I'll have confirmation tonight.

    Just to be clear though, as far as I know the official Sonic Line PAX train is still the 176 NE Regional.

    I oh I know. I don't want to get there that late though. :)

    Edit: We're now confirmed on Regional 172 boarding in DC. Looking forward to meeting up with anyone else on the early train, we'll bring some games with us and I'll also have Cookie Brigade noms.

    ransim on
  • PitBull008PitBull008 Registered User regular
    Alright, there's (so far)5 of us leaving from Baltimore (either Penn station or BWI) PAX East bound. I'm looking into the Sonic line (176) up, and we're not sure about back yet.

    Between me and my other friend we have a shit ton of board games. From the looks of the train it seems that the seating is just airplane-like? Is this true? We would require some sort of table for a majority of the games we have... Is there a dining car we can take over?

    I've never rode a train before so I'm hoping you guys can provide some answers! We're looking into this still, we have hotels lined up for fri/sat but not for Thursday so we're deciding what we want to do about Thursday night, because a minimal amount of sleep will be required for Friday's epicness. Thoughts?

  • thebookguythebookguy Registered User new member
    First timer here, anyone leaving out of Philly, Train 94 Northeast Regional departing at 3:57PM on the 21st? If so maybe we can get in a few games.

  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    PitBull008 wrote: »
    Alright, there's (so far)5 of us leaving from Baltimore (either Penn station or BWI) PAX East bound. I'm looking into the Sonic line (176) up, and we're not sure about back yet.

    Between me and my other friend we have a shit ton of board games. From the looks of the train it seems that the seating is just airplane-like? Is this true? We would require some sort of table for a majority of the games we have... Is there a dining car we can take over?

    I've never rode a train before so I'm hoping you guys can provide some answers! We're looking into this still, we have hotels lined up for fri/sat but not for Thursday so we're deciding what we want to do about Thursday night, because a minimal amount of sleep will be required for Friday's epicness. Thoughts?

    As I mentioned in some previous posts, there IS a dining car on the 176. It only has about 5 tables (with seating at each for 4 normal-sized people, 5-6 if you squeeze). The past 3 years, when I got on at BWI the tables were all full. However, I've had good luck hovering and scoring a table when people get off (usually at either Philly or NYC). As I said, last year we played Cards Against Humanity with something like 7-10 people in the game, making it the whole way through the base set+expansion, twice. Some people were also playing, if I recall correctly, Pandemic and Smallworld at other tables.

    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
Sign In or Register to comment.