As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Searching for a new cable/internet provider.

AistanAistan Tiny BatRegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So Comcast is pretty objectively terrible, at least in my area. The actual provided service works reasonably well, but the constant, never-ending billing issues every. single. month. are just too much now, and i'd like to find something new.

How would I know what is available in my area, and then know if they are any good before going with them? From the searching i've done it looks like Dish and DirectTV are options here, but reviews specific to my area are difficult to find. Well, except for Comcast whom everyone hates, but I already knew that.

Anyone have any ideas? I live in Redmond, WA.

Aistan on

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Give dslreports (broadbandreports) a try? They had reviews from people with the different providers and a zip code based search.

http://www.dslreports.com/search

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    To be honest, all of them are absolutely terrible in the U.S. You will usually have 1-2 options, and because they both know they're only competing with the other, you'll get very similar price structures and service. I ditched Comcast for FIOS. The FIOS connection is better, they charge me a bit more, and their customer service may, in fact, be the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. Comcast and Verizon together form a sort of Voltron of suck.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I dunno whether they're in your area, but my mom lives in northern Washington and I had her go with CenturyLink (which was one of two options in our area), and they seem to be not-terrible in our region. Internet service is very stable, prices aren't awful, their techs appear to know what they're doing, no billing issues, etc. They give uhh DirecTV for TV I believe? (We haven't subscribed to that so I don't remember.) She's been with them about two years now, on the 7 Mbps down/768 Kbps (I believe?) up plan.

But yeah, I think many areas of the US have to choose between "bad" and "terrible" for ISPs. I'm pretty sure I've heard horror stories about every ISP except maybe the little independent ones, but it really is very location-dependent whether you get good service.

Essee on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    So Comcast is pretty objectively terrible, at least in my area. The actual provided service works reasonably well, but the constant, never-ending billing issues every. single. month. are just too much now, and i'd like to find something new.

How would I know what is available in my area, and then know if they are any good before going with them? From the searching i've done it looks like Dish and DirectTV are options here, but reviews specific to my area are difficult to find. Well, except for Comcast whom everyone hates, but I already knew that.

Anyone have any ideas? I live in Redmond, WA.
    There are areas that have Verizon FIOS available, and Wave Broadband has had some advertisements on the sides of buses, but I have no idea how good they are.

From what I've seen Seattle proper, Comcast basically owns this city. At least until Google Fiber decides to move out here (side note to Google Fiber: hurry up and move out here!)

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I've looked into Verizon Fios and while Redmond is listed when I type in my specific address it says it doesn't cover me. I'll call them and ask if that's accurate.

Thank you for the dslreports link as well, that will come in handy. I know that all cable and internet companies will suck as a rule, i'd just like to see reviews so I can find the least bad one.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I've been happy with AT&T UVerse. Think it may be expensive, but I hate Comcast more.