As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new Star Citizen thread, this one's done for

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Games and Technology
Penny Arcade Fleet Spreadsheet (Top Secret)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t1Zc2oxijVY
(Be sure to watch the full length trailer)

starcitizenlogo.jpg

Star Citizen is Chris Roberts' new game. Chris Roberts is the guy behind Wing Commander and Starlancer. He left years before Freelancer came out so don't blame that shit on him. It's totally self-published and it's doing the whole crowdfunding thing, but he's skipping Kickstarter. He'll just ask for money straight up from people. He also has normal investors.

The game is running on a modified version of the CryEngine. It looks fucking awesome. This is a one hour presentation he gave at GDC where Chris Roberts talks about the game, shows off gameplay, and makes your panties wet with desire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhRQPhL1YU

Star Citizen is a space sim. You'll fly around in spaceships shooting space laser at space aliens in space. There's a persistent multiplayer universe that generates instanced battles for 60-100 players, and there's also an offline mode if you want to play single player or coop. If you want to play in the persistent universe though, you can be an explorer or maybe a trader and stuff like that. You can buy a big ship with turrets and friends can man the turrets. For example:
The persistent universe, Roberts tells me, will feature instanced combat scenarios with 60 to 100 players. It will also have a fully simulated economy, and regular updates to add content and permanently change the spacescape. Additionally, players will influence the universe with a ship and item marketplace similar to that in Team Fortress 2, as well as with in-game actions.
The single player campaign is called "Squadron 42" and it will basically be like Wing Commander, except with coop.

The universe is inspired by Ancient Rome and the single player campaign is inspired by the fall of Ancient Rome. The game is called Star Citizen because "citizenship" is going to be an important characteristic: you can choose to be a citizen of the empire if you want, or you can be a pirate or whatever. One way to earn citizenship is to join the military; another is to buy it.

The game will be open to modding, and it will let you run your own private servers (like Freelancer, actually). He wants to keep constantly updating the game, though (he sees it as closer to a TV series, with a constant series of updates, rather than a movie). And sometimes they won't tell players when they add new content, like a new star system, which means that a player can be flying around, scout the new star system, and then sell the information in their nav system to one of the big corporations. Then the star system is named after you. KICKASS.

sc_4.jpg

More Information

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    oh god there is semen everywhere

send help

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    oh god there is semen everywhere

send help
    My friend had to keep reminding me to keep my pants on throughout the entire livestream.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    In the livestream he's talking about Uncharted 2, which he enjoyed not because the gameplay was so new (Tomb Raider had done it and so on) but because it was so beautiful, and he feels like games have gotten to the point where they can be so pretty that it's time for him to come back and make a space sim that is awesome and blows us all away.

edit: I should note the livestream is over, but it's repeating.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Some awesome quotes from the Eurogamer article:
    Star Citizen features a dynamic economy and an open world. Roberts describes it as a mash up of Freelancer and Privateer, two of his previous games, and a Wing Commander game. The single-player mode can be played offline or co-op with friends in a similar fashion to the way players impact each other's games in Demon's Souls, he said.
    Players will be able to name a star system if they are the first to chart it, then sell those charts to space corporations for virtual currency.
    Roberts and his team are still fleshing out much of the game mechanics, but he did show Eurogamer a working demo, which included third-person pilot movement in a space carrier and space combat, switching between third-person and in cockpit views. Space ships operate under a procedural physics system, with thrusters generating forces on the rigid body of the craft for realistic motion.

He says it will support the Oculus Rift headset, which I presume does head tracking, but I wonder if he'll include TrackIR support.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    By time I buy a third monitor, second GPU, joystick, and TrackIR, this is going to be one expensive game.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    http://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

There are some more videos here... the immersion one shows a fucking amazing cockpit. Exploding-pants amazing.

The scale video has some kinda weird looking animations of the character running, and I'm trying to figure out why there are intake fans spinning on the front of a space fighter.

Little details, though... the weapons fire looks stunning in a way that I can't really describe.

And there is a full cinematic trailer there that is 5 minutes long. :^:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Uuuuuuugh the question is whether I want to give him lots of money or all my money. He's even got the crowdfunding thing going on the website already. This is nuuuuuuts.

• Options
    It's a great time to be a PC gamer.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    You can fly around outside a capital ship and look inside and see people standing on the bridge and the people on the bridge can be other players. And the cockpit is full 3d and when you fly the fighter your pilot moves the stick in the cockpit.

aaaaaahhhhhhhh

And in the final game everything you do, your character will hit a button.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to need more than 4 cores.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Graphics look good.

But I bet it won't be as good as FreeSpace 2.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    The flight model is fully physically modeled with proper physics and stuff! Every time you turn the ship, thrusters on each side angle to turn the ship! It's not magical turning, everything's done via physics!

This is FUCKING AMAZING.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    I do have to admit, the only thing that kinda worries me is the persistent online part. In the purchase tiers, it mentions credits, so I assume it'll be a F2P type game, which can be good or bad. I know he says you can play it single-player, but I hope you're not locked out of content that the online mode has.

• Options
    And if your individual flight thrusters get hit, this will affect how your ship controls!

@Sir Carcass since the game allows private servers and modding, it sounds like it's going to be impossible to be locked out of anything crucial: someone could just mod it in. Probably what he's banking on is that the persistent world with thousands of people is going to be a big enough draw that people want to buy/earn currency there, and level up there, and buy bigger ships there, rather than just playing on their private server and modding themselves all the best stuff.

This is how Freelancer worked actually, except without the massive universe. Every server was a private server, but lots of people played on servers where you had to earn your stuff slowly. So he's probably banking on the idea that people will want that sort of X3-but-online experience enough to make it profitable if it's F2P.

But it might not be F2P. We don't know yet. I would bet, if I had to bet, that the multiplayer would be F2P but the single player/coop campaign you'd have to buy.

• Options
    And if your individual flight thrusters get hit, this will affect how your ship controls!

Ehhhh. I'll believe it when I see it. Remember the hype leading up to Spore? We can create our own biological worlds! Evolve based on your creature's actions!

I've become very leery of games overpromising.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I. . . what. . .I woke up and my dreams were answered?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options

Ehhhh. I'll believe it when I see it. Remember the hype leading up to Spore? We can create our own biological worlds! Evolve based on your creature's actions!

Well if you watch the repeating livestream you can see the individual thrusters firing, so...

His website is getting hammered six ways to sunday and the alternate website only lets you fund through PayPal, so he doesn't have my money yet. But soon... soooooon...

(And actually, Spore delivered on all of its promises. It just wasn't any fun.)

• Options

Sir Carcass since the game allows private servers and modding, it sounds like it's going to be impossible to be locked out of anything crucial: someone could just mod it in. Probably what he's banking on is that the persistent world with thousands of people is going to be a big enough draw that people want to buy/earn currency there, and level up there, and buy bigger ships there, rather than just playing on their private server and modding themselves all the best stuff.

This is how Freelancer worked actually, except without the massive universe. Every server was a private server, but lots of people played on servers where you had to earn your stuff slowly. So he's probably banking on the idea that people will want that sort of X3-but-online experience enough to make it profitable if it's F2P.

But it might not be F2P. We don't know yet. I would bet, if I had to bet, that the multiplayer would be F2P but the single player/coop campaign you'd have to buy.

If that's the case, that would be incredibly awesome. Even though I thought Freelancer was on the "meh" side, I really enjoyed the server part of it.

But yeah, we need more details. Maybe the "credits" are in order to fund the main server instead of a monthly payment, but you still have to buy the base game (I never assumed the game would be "free"). That's kinda what I'm thinking.

• Options
    Just remember, the last notable space thing this man was involved in starred Freddie Prinze Jr. and Matthew Lillard.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Just remember, the last notable space thing this man was involved in starred Freddie Prinze Jr. and Matthew Lillard.

:x

Edit: Uhhh, that's not the emoticon I selected at all

So am I the only one that noticed in the trailer the pirate ship hiding next to an asteroid and then powering up with his buddies to attack a freighter?

8->

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    At which point he learned his lesson about being a film director and apparently decided to go back to the genre where he created approximately 40% of the good games.

• Options

People can make mistakes.

I won't hold his bad FMV and Movie work against him because his space games didn't need that crap to be fun.

• Options

Yeah. There's a lot of claims there that seem like they'd be a lot of work but don't help gameplay, and he's promising the world.

But hey, maybe it'll fall flat and only be the X3 that I wish existed instead of the X3 that currently exists.

• Options
    Hey, let's not get carried away. The FMV part of the Wing Commander games was awesome.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but he also produced Lord of War.

And let me play as Clive Owen.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Hey, let's not get carried away. The FMV part of the Wing Commander games was awesome.

At the time I was pretty anti-fmv and that clouded my judgement. I skipped a lot of it because I felt it was a waste of disc space back then.

What I did see I didn't like but I'll admit I was wrong if it didn't suck. :p

Seidkona on
  • Options
    I think it's better to stay away from FMVs. Like... you play TIE Fighter, and the storytelling is there and works just fine. You get what's going on without feeling like you're watching some cheap Scifi Channel movie.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    WC3 was still kinda new clunky (entirely green-screened sets, kind of stiff acting and camera work), but WC4's FMVs were awesome (actual built sets, more normal camera angles and dialog).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    The FMV was awesome for the time (as was the choose-your-own-adventure style decision points with talking), but it doesn't hold up well.

• Options
    I still love it.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Oh my.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I don't think I've played a space sim on the PC since Freespace 2.

If this game can even come close to that it can have all of my dicks.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    This looks fucking fantastic.

There's no way this has a relatively simple control scheme (read: Supports Xbox controller), is there?

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I wish his site wasn't crashed so I could give him my money. WANT!

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    There never was a Wing Commander movie. What are you talking about?

LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    This looks fucking fantastic.

There's no way this has a relatively simple control scheme (read: Supports Xbox controller), is there?

I'd guess 360 controller for the most commonly used functions, and the keyboard for more detail oriented stuff (think power/shield balancing and the like).

You can already do this with Freespace.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    0_0
    *splort*

He would already have my money if his server hadn't gotten hammered

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    I gotta say, his server getting hammered is a good sign.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    GO GIVE HIM YOUR MONIES
    ALL YOUR MONIES
    NOW

*Ahem*, I will buy the $250 pack. That's how much I love this.

Also, there's gonna be an offline SP mode.

Also, many of the things he said were things I said and got me banned one the wcnews site, so LOL.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I have no money

but I at least gave him what little I had

This discussion has been closed.