As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roommate threatening to call the cop

dleebtechdleebtech Registered User new member
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My roommate who is the tenant asks me to leave within two weeks after i gave the notice. Technically its written on the lease that if any one of us agrees to leave, a 30 day notice should be given. Since i gave the notice to vacate she is telling me that you have to get out of the place within two weeks. Obviously we both are not on the same page, but threatens me saying that she will call the police. By the way i am a male and she is a female. Dont know what to do if she calls the police. Can stay for my 30 days or not.

dleebtech on

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    You are legally allowed to reside in your place of residence. If you are on the lease or have lived there for a significant amount of time, you are almost certainly fine.

Someone else will come make a bigger post after you answer the question: where do you live? What country/state?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Everyplace has different specifics, but if 30 days is in the lease you signed, all she can do is make a lot of noise and drama. If she wants to make drama, though, 30 days will be plenty of opportunity. Since you're already leaving, if you can do so in two weeks instead of four (or better yet, now), GTFO and don't look back, because it's probably not worth it.

Edit: Also, what's the structure of the lease? If it's between you and the landlord, it's probably not even anything she could act on even if it was two weeks. But still, GTFO ASAP. Unless there's something else involved, this sounds like a problem that can be solved by walking away. No confrontation, no argument, no fucks given.

Hevach on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    dleebtech wrote: »
    My roommate who is the tenant asks me to leave within two weeks after i gave the notice. Technically its written on the lease that if any one of us agrees to leave, a 30 day notice should be given. Since i gave the notice to vacate she is telling me that you have to get out of the place within two weeks. Obviously we both are not on the same page, but threatens me saying that she will call the police. By the way i am a male and she is a female. Dont know what to do if she calls the police. Can stay for my 30 days or not.

Does this mean you are NOT the tenant but are subletting from her? Are you officially on any lease?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also lock up and stash away your valuables, preferably not at the residence.

Angry roommates tend to steal and break shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    dleebtechdleebtech Registered User new member
    she just signed the lease with me. She wrote it that when any one of us has to leave a 30 day notice should be given. But she has rented the home from landlord. But my concern is that what ever written on the agreement is not followed by her. She wants me to leave within two weeks or else she is calling the cops.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So you didn't sign the lease with the landlord, you sublet from her?

Is there anything in your lease with her that says she can terminate your lease with a 14 day notice?

Honestly man if you've given 30 days and she's given you two weeks and you have a place to go I'd just pack up and go. If you don't have a place to go yet, then fight it.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Ask her to put it in writing. Then inform her of the provisions of the lease you signed.
    Lock up all your shit.
    Move as soon as possible.

This discussion has been closed.