As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] This thread is old and weak and soon will spawn a zombie. Use the newer thread.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    If your hit percentage is less than 80% or so, I'd consider doing something other than taking a shot. Basically always assume that if the aliens can shoot your unit, they will die. In a lot of cases its better to just fall back to heavy cover, throw a grenade and let someone else take a shot and so on.

I don't think I've SEEN a lot of percentages that high. Seriously, Mutons straight out in the open with no cover rarely reach that percentage!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    khain wrote: »
    Is there a way to remove all equipment from everyone not in your current squad? Also is the only way to get plasma rifles to build them? I keep attempting to get them through capturing enemies, but I always seem to get light plasma rifles even though if I kill the enemy instead it says their plasma rifle explodes.

Off the top of my head I've picked up plasma rifles (not lights) from heavy floaters and muton elites.

Also, I should be able to target the enemy I have under mind control. Everybody in my squad knows that the aliens, even if I'm telling them what to do, are the enemy.

I think it's mutons after/with berserkers and heavy floaters. Muton elites carry heavy plasma.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Is there a way to remove all equipment from everyone not in your current squad? Also is the only way to get plasma rifles to build them? I keep attempting to get them through capturing enemies, but I always seem to get light plasma rifles even though if I kill the enemy instead it says their plasma rifle explodes.

Plasma rifles are heavy floaties and mutons, IIRC. then if you want a plasma heavy weapon, you have to capture a Muton Elite.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    If your hit percentage is less than 80% or so, I'd consider doing something other than taking a shot. Basically always assume that if the aliens can shoot your unit, they will die. In a lot of cases its better to just fall back to heavy cover, throw a grenade and let someone else take a shot and so on.

I don't think I've SEEN a lot of percentages that high. Seriously, Mutons straight out in the open with no cover rarely reach that percentage!

You could also flank, but that is a huge risk of setting off more detection

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Off the top of my head I've picked up plasma rifles (not lights) from heavy floaters and muton elites.

Also, I should be able to target the enemy I have under mind control. Everybody in my squad knows that the aliens, even if I'm telling them what to do, are the enemy.

I think it's mutons after/with berserkers and heavy floaters. Muton elites carry heavy plasma.

You are correct, sir. Sorry about the mix-up.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Let's all step back and take a moment to talk about @Krylon666 and @BahamutZero
    @Krylon666 was on the original contact team and managed to take out the first group of aliens encountered by man. Single-handedly. The first with reaction fire as it scrambled for cover from his steely gaze. The next two futilely tried to take him down by linking their mind, but he laughed as he sidestepped their frantic fire and shot the leader in the face as it hid behind a counter. He was quickly promoted to squad leader and is now a fearsome heavy.

@BahamutZero joined the team as rookie getting experience on an abduction mission shortly thereafter. As the team carefully worked their way through a subway station, he outflanked two pairs of mindlinked xenos and coolly double-killed them each, with shots a lesser human might have hesitated to take. He'd have been in a position to have done it a third time to claim 100% of the mission's kills, but he had to pause to reload, so @Dajian ran in and shot-gunned the dude in his stead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AvistTorchAvistTorch Registered User regular
    I usually look at the enemy's weapon to see if it looks like a Light Plasma or a Plasma. Mutons start with Light Plasma but upgrade as the game goes on.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Is there a way to remove all equipment from everyone not in your current squad?

Yes, if you go into the Barracks you can check the loadout of all your soldiers (except maybe those that are wounded or being psi-tested).

Lawndart on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    http://www.schwanenlied.me/yawning/XCOM/XCOMPRNG.html

Explains the psuedo-random number generator.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Is there a way to remove all equipment from everyone not in your current squad?

man, this would be a useful thing. also, since your stuff has no way of being damaged or destroyed in the field theres absolutely no reason why you would ever want someone who is not on the active mission to be equipped with anything, so its doubly stupid that stuff stays equipped the way it does.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    AvistTorch wrote: »
    I usually look at the enemy's weapon to see if it looks like a Light Plasma or a Plasma. Mutons start with Light Plasma but upgrade as the game goes on.
    How do you do this? Is it a thing that the pad just can't do (I'm playing on PC but prefer the 360 pad)?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

Excellent stuff. And I'm sure it'll do little to dissuade people of the notion that the game's RNG is obviously rigged.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    How do you do this? Is it a thing that the pad just can't do (I'm playing on PC but prefer the 360 pad)?

I just look at the character model, personally. There's a pretty big difference in appearance between the light plasma and regular plasma rifles. It does take some time to spot on the fly, though.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Zxerol wrote: »

Excellent stuff. And I'm sure it'll do little to dissuade people of the notion that the game's RNG is obviously rigged.

People don't understand how random works. When I used to do the name change coin toss one guy said "I can't believe that people take that. I mean the odds have to be like 1 in 3."

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

My favorite part of these sorts of articles is how they're written by people who are smart enough to use hex editors to look at the code a game is running and analyze it to explain the method the game uses to generate randomness, but they still don't know when to use "its" instead of "it's" so I can still feel superior to them despite not actually being so.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I think the biggest clue that it's truly random is that you can go on crazy streaks where you miss 10 sure shots in a row, rather than having some invisible tally that slowly weights you into ending your "bad luck" streak.

Also, people tend to look for patterns, but more so when they have something to prove. No one keeps track when the RNG gives them 4 crits in a row on iffy shots.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    6) Why can't I rename Major Bluetooth Headset to @iolo? I'm just going to call him that in my head anyway.
    Because that man's incompetence is a smear on the good name of @iolo. Why, I bet he can't even make a proper list of reasons he's terrible.

Awww, thanks guys. :D

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Not particularly well. The tests it fails are labeled "good" by the suite provider(he says they're labeled suspect, but on the actual website it says "good"). We don't really have an understanding of why the PRNG is failing there so we don't have an understanding of what is happening.

It also seems to be failing the runs test (i would not accept a p-value of .02, his seems to require .01 to reject)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Welp, that's completely done in my interest in XCOM for the foreseeable future. I could deal with the crippling bugs when I could save my way around them, but I just hit an impossible match for Ironman Classic. Got a few turns in, then got to a point where only part of a muton squad would activate and third one just stands out in the dark, taking no action, so the game is basically just frozen. And since it's Ironman mode, hooray, one save and no backup!

So my whole playthrough is completely fucked due to an inavoidable and fatal bug. I really don't even see the point of playing this now until Firaxis comes in with a major patch that actually fixes something.

What the hell was Firaxis thinking releasing this in such a broken state?

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Just throwing an update out there for everybody. I've been playing Classic (non-Ironman because I suck and bugs are stupid) and using the forumer name list. This time through (game 6) I have managed to only get a few of you killed, and I do in fact have a squad of pretty badass people now. This is them:
    7971C442A60CA480EBFAD22E9D21F370AEC9DDF7
    @Entriech you are ridiculous, you have close to 60 kills now, and have routinely dropped multiple enemies in a turn with In the Zone. You were the first to reach Colonel.
    @Mere_Immortal you have saved so many lives I can't even count. You have also suppressed a lot of aliens to prevent them from harming your comrades, with a special talent for suppressing Cyberdiscs.
    @Just_Bri_Thanks you are learning well from Entriech, your overwatch shots are a thing of beauty.
    @El Mucho You are just an all around beast. You unfortunately had to miss the alien base assault due to an acute case of plasma poisoning, but you're recovered now and double-shotting fools with a laser shotgun. Your best moment so far was using your CQC reaction to finish off the Berserker as it ran at Entriech in a rage.
    @TheKoolEagle You just got promoted to Major. Your plasma rifle is just plain fearsome. The Muton that had it before you was nowhere near as good a shot.
    @Vegeta_666 You are a replacement member of the squad, but your heavy laser has been speaking volumes. Your holo-targeting has been key to quickly dispatching several enemies in the last few missions. You have attained the highest rank of any Heavy to date.

You guys are my Alpha Squad, and you have been performing admirably. Soon I will have psionics and Firestorms, and hopefully the alloy cannon. I will have to build some plasma sniper rifles as well, because while the laser ones are good, plasma is just better.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2012

I think the biggest clue that it's truly random is that you can go on crazy streaks where you miss 10 sure shots in a row, rather than having some invisible tally that slowly weights you into ending your "bad luck" streak.

Also, people tend to look for patterns, but more so when they have something to prove. No one keeps track when the RNG gives them 4 crits in a row on iffy shots.

Biases are a hell of a thing. Confirmation bias especially.

Anyway, I had the most frustrating mission yesterday. I fought several groups of mutons and a cyberdisc, and then... nothing. I couldn't find the enemy. I grenaded the wall of the next building. I got people on the roof on alternate sides, with one guy running around. Their noises were always on the opposite side of me for seriously, fifteen minutes.
    There were two mutons hiding in a closet underneath my guys, so it always sounded like they were on the opposite side. The game either needs to indicate how close people are or have a three dimensional sound thingy >.>

Incidentally, finding them was accidental and hilarious. The enemies apparently weren't in overwatch, and I sent someone from off the roof to the center of a restaurant. So he jumps off the roof, kicks open a door, runs past two mutons who are just staring, kicks open a second door, and walks into a serving area. The camera was behind the doors being kicked open, so there were two mutons, a guy kicking through a door and running past them to the camera, then the second door.

Ok maybe you had to see it, but I assure you it was god damned hilarious.

Also, a little time-saving tip I discovered: I used to get frustrated by having to hammer the overwatch key to get into overwatch on each soldier. It turns out that you can hammer overwatch and next soldier alternately and put everyone to overwatch much faster. Since I, at least, usually end turns with six people in overwatch, this makes everything less frustrating.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    @Mere_Immortal you have saved so many lives I can't even count. You have also suppressed a lot of aliens to prevent them from harming your comrades, with a special talent for suppressing Cyberdiscs.

Yay I'm helping!

Saw my first sectopod in the first battleship I shot down, managed to take it down without it hitting any of my guys. Rocking a pretty good squad of almost full titan armour and normal plasma with alloy launchers and psi powers.

Haven't made any stealth or archangel armour yet though, are they both worth investing in?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    I have one suit of archangel for my sniper. Getting him elevated makes squad sight and damn good ground both more valuable due to better lines and constant elevation advantage. Ghost armor is fun, too. I like it for assaults since they're my forward unit. It also guarantees a crit if you connect with a shot while stealthed so it's really nice on an assault with an alloy cannon.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »
    Too late now, but if your first batch of soldiers fail, your next soldier to be tested will always succeed.

What? No. My first run through, it took two failed test groups before I got my first psychic guy (he also turned out to be the only psychic out of my recruited mans.)

That's strange, since the code definitely says a soldier in the second batch should be gifted, though technically I got the specifics wrong (#6 is always gifted... but it counts them from bottom to top, so it'd be the fourth person you dropped in unless you didn't do full batches). I don't know why you would've had things work that way unless something else is glitchy, possibly having to do with saving/loading the data.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I am a cautious bastard, apparently. I had about a dozen deaths in my first month before I realized I was playing wrong. In the month and a half since I started using Overwatch and turtling through cover I haven't lost a single man, and I've only had a couple of incidents that cost a soldier more than 2 or 3 days of rehab.

I'm much happier without the constant deaths. I don't know if I'll be able to handle the steady stream of human sacrifice required by Classic and Impossible.

Of course, the fragile alliance of nations is slowly crumbling under my watch, so I may not be handling the macro game as well as the micro. =[

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I think somebody said it when I initially thought that gifted snipers would be useless, but mind fray is great for taking shots at floaters when they show up behind you - also thin man drops at the end of a bomb disposal. I've only gotten a successful mind control off once, and I'm afraid to even take the one that induces alien panic. It seems pretty likely that an alien would panic and immediately shoot one of my guys.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    I have one suit of archangel for my sniper. Getting him elevated makes squad sight and damn good ground both more valuable due to better lines and constant elevation advantage. Ghost armor is fun, too. I like it for assaults since they're my forward unit. It also guarantees a crit if you connect with a shot while stealthed so it's really nice on an assault with an alloy cannon.

Damn Good Ground does not work with Arcangel Armor, just FYI.

• Options
    Zenitram wrote: »

Damn Good Ground does not work with Arcangel Armor, just FYI.
    That's disappointing. The better sight lines are still great. Is that a glitch or did I not read the description of damn good ground close enough?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    This was my squad going into the final battle. Sadly the majority of my original A team were found to not have the gift, so they were replaced with those who did. The only 2 here without psi powers are Iolo and Dongs. @Basil was our brave volunteer, whose excellent marksmanship also secured the kill on the final boss.

2012101900001u.jpg

I had one support as a medic and the other as a combat support, with double smoke grenades, improved smoke grenades, suppressive fire and the two defensive buff psionic powers. The team works out really nicely. Chitin plating was used to prop up the assaults hp as they were in Ghost and Psi armour.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    If I have learned one thing lately it is that nano-tube is a joke. It saves you, but sometimes the PC will just BS you too hard to survive. I keep more and more grenades on me by the day. Also, the alien base was fun. They decided to add heavy floaters to the mix, and it did NOT matter in the least. I have one colonol sniper left and she is a beast. My 'other' colonol died because I didn't move her to cover after being revived. I put her on overwatch because for the last enemy to hit her, it would have to move.

It moved. She pretended not to see it. Apparently the lucky critical that dropped her to bleeding out was a desired death I temporarily robbed her of.

Oh well. My research is progressing at the speed of light. I have every kind of plasma weapon known on my troops, and my assault may as well be a god with an improved scope, titan armor, and a alloy cannon. Yeesh. I'm wishing I had taken him the +critical path now just for the giggles.

I took a break at the start of a landed ufo mission. Next time I play I am cooking up some psionics!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Are helmets part of the armor customization that you only got through pre-orders? It's so crazy that the Titan armor advertises full environmental protection (internal air supply, poison immunity, fire immunity) but still leaves the wearer's head out in the open.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I think my highest crit in the game was Dongs Galore with an alloy cannon, for 27 or 28 damage.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I kinda wish I had gotten in on the pre-order so i could change up the armor.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    I'm chugging along on Classic, and it's going alright, except for that lame bug where the enemy units teleport right on top of your squad. Like two Cyberdiscs. That one needs to get fixed.

• Options
    AvistTorchAvistTorch Registered User regular
    I look at the weapon the enemy's model is holding.

My favorite part of these sorts of articles is how they're written by people who are smart enough to use hex editors to look at the code a game is running and analyze it to explain the method the game uses to generate randomness, but they still don't know when to use "its" instead of "it's" so I can still feel superior to them despite not actually being so.
    One of my grad school teachers used "loose" instead of "lose" on a slide. >_< The rest of the class period felt kind of awkward to me.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm chugging along on Classic, and it's going alright, except for that lame bug where the enemy units teleport right on top of your squad. Like two Cyberdiscs. That one needs to get fixed.

Before the game convinced me to quit entirely, I had an abduction mission where I heard some noise on the other side of a wall, blew it open with a grenade... and nothing was there.

Then on the next turn, an entire floater squad magically appeared in almost the exact spot where I threw the grenade and went instantly into the discovery thing. I murdered them, but not exactly fantastic stuff to happen in a harsh tactical game.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    It's pretty clear that aliens outside of LOS do not follow the movement rules. They just kind of teleport from location to location.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

People don't understand how random works. When I used to do the name change coin toss one guy said "I can't believe that people take that. I mean the odds have to be like 1 in 3."

Did this... did this seriously happen?

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Wasn't the

I'm not sure what I just watched, but I do know it's awesome.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Did this... did this seriously happen?

Fucking 3-sided coins, man.