As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] This thread is old and weak and soon will spawn a zombie. Use the newer thread.

• Options
    jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Play impossible if you're into nearly impossible-to-win roguelikes, into S&M, a robot, or all three.

Impossible has no safe word, just FYI.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Rifle Supression and Revive. An ounce of prevention vs a gallon of cure?

Rifle Suppression. If you need Revive, you done fucked up real bad already. Prevention is always the better option, especially on Ironman.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Rifle Suppression. If you need Revive, you done fucked up real bad already. Prevention is always the better option, especially on Ironman.

Generally, yes. But Revive is very, very good for the longer missions, such as the Base Assault, the final mission, or exploring a very large downed UFO.

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Ironman Classic Update: July 2015 ended our bloodiest month since the beginning of the Interstellar War. Operation Shattered Hero resulted in the loss of six of our best operatives, as well as a significant portion of our command cadre. Replacements were recruited and have stepped up to fill the gaps but the loss of structure has led to several of our operatives being wounded while attempting unnecessary heroics. Psych corps is theorizing that the troops are experiencing severe traumatic symptoms brought on by the failure of the research team to deliver on their promise of modified alien weaponry for use. The good news is that plasma weapons have now been issued to the troops despite the necessary delays.

Sadly, operation Brutal Law brought the KIA total for the month to seven - @Farangu - "KarmaPolice" was shot at extreme range while providing flank support for the away team.
    BBA8EE9F142F5288A4DCE6FC1768A10323B28BDE

Squaddie @Buttpolice has become an immediate hit in the Barracks with the other operatives following his promotion. He is something of a practical joker, which serves to shore up sagging morale. Psych corps recommends he be allowed to continue his antics so long as they remain cheeky and amusing.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »

Generally, yes. But Revive is very, very good for the longer missions, such as the Base Assault, the final mission, or exploring a very large downed UFO.

There is no Earth on which Revive can be described as Good, let alone very very good. You're wasting an ability choice on an opportunity that MAY arise when someone was reduced to 0 HP.

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    I prefer rifle suppression. It is simply amazing.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012

There is no Earth on which Revive can be described as Good, let alone very very good. You're wasting an ability choice on an opportunity that MAY arise when someone was reduced to 0 HP.

It's a lot more viable once you research Don't Die on Me, although the counterargument could be that the permanent will penalty isn't worth it anyway. But at least you don't lose a trooper to complete the mission.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    WellI started on Ironman, with no tutorial as I'd already done it on the demo. First squad given to me was @Dirtyboy, @Xagar, @KaliYama and @Dalantia.

First time round we all got murdered mercilessly, Xagar didn't even make it into cover as I misjudged a move, and was cut down immediately. Dalantia and Dirtyboy panicked, and Kaliyama missed before being ripped to pieces. IT was miss after miss after miss until none were left, it was a bloodbath.

Second time I managed to get two out alive. Dirtyboy has now been promoted after 3 kills (two with a grenade) and coming out unscathed. Kaliyama was injured, and didn't do anything other than miss all the way through. Dalantia honourably took 3 aliens down before succumbing to a shot in the face, and Xagar once again got murdered quite quickly. You live and you learn, well, half of you do.

• Options
    Don't Die on Me doesn't affect the core issue. You are wasting an ability choice on something you can maybe use, when you've already fucked up pretty bad, versus something you can use all the time to probably prevent that situation in the first place.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I prefer rifle suppression. It is simply amazing.

Bruce Campbell talking about Suppression:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af1OxkFOK18

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Don't Die on Me doesn't affect the core issue. You are wasting an ability choice on something you can maybe use, when you've already fucked up pretty bad, versus something you can use all the time to probably prevent that situation in the first place.

Maybe. Shit sometimes happens in this game though, and some people want that extra assurance because, hey, humans make stupid mistakes and snap judgments.

(I'm pro rifle suppression myself, mind.)

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Its not actually luck. In Impossible, they remove most of the randomization of the strategic layer and the aliens treat you as a person would, attacking your most vulnerable positions in order to overwhelm and defeat you.

1) that doesn't make sense given the context of the ending.

2) If that is the case its impossible to win impossible(and its not) since the enemy can easily just force you to lose the game by picking NA/Europe/Asia on abductions and Africa/SA for terror until you lose continents one by one.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

I guess Revive didn't mean the difference between succeeding at the Alien Base Assault with zero casualties instead of having my entire squad wiped.

I'm not saying to put it on your primary Support. I'm saying that if you get a higher ranked Support from completing an Abduction mission, give him Revive. Then take him on a long mission, so that a lucky critical early on doesn't snowball into losing your entire squad!

• Options
    edited October 2012

Maybe. Shit sometimes happens in this game though, and some people want that extra assurance because, hey, humans make stupid mistakes and snap judgments.

The solution to the unexpected is copious amounts of rockets, not maybe ressurecting people after the fact.

Three Heavies is a pretty comfortable way to go through Ironman.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    My classic iron man game was in need of seasoned troopers due to couple of my top guys dying during previous missions.

So, I was glad to see a large scout UFO which landed near my base. I take 2 majors, 1 captain, 2 squaddies and 1 rook.

First encounter had 1 zerker and 2 regular mutons. Sniper, a major, hits zerker and does his imitate shout which made my rook pee her pants and panics. She asks for an evac and shoots near by major in the face for a kill when he told her to calm her tits down. One of the squaddy "wanted to go home" after seeing his major's bloody face then decides to shoot captain in the back for crit but not a kill. Another squaddy panics and shoots at the zerker but misses badly. It's like a bad party of drunken girls with chain vomit.

The zerker goes straight for my sniper for one shot kill, other 2 mutons take out captain and the rook. Both squaddies are in panic mode and hunker down during their turn. No one returns from this mission.

It would be a big surprise if I can last another month or 2.

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I don't know, suppression was pretty useful on normal, where the aliens had a reasonable hit rate, but once I moved back up to classic I found it to be almost entirely useless. On classic you can pretty much count on the fact that the aliens will hit 90% of their shots regardless of cover, buffs to your defense or debuffs to their accuracy. That alien you're suppressing is still practically guaranteed to hit whatever it decides to shoot at, so all you really did was waste two shots and guarantee that the alien won't try to retreat and give up its chance to shoot and possibly crit kill one of your guys.

Believe me, I thought it was going to be useful and specced my guys accordingly to start with, but the only time it has been useful is when I used it on a turn that would've been wasted otherwise. Even then, I don't think I've ever seen suppression actually prevent a shot from hitting this past game.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

The solution to the unexpected is copious amounts of rockets, not maybe ressurecting people after the fact.

More rockets, or bigger rockets?

• Options

Mayhem over Rocketeer but it's a hard choice man. It's hard and nobody understands.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    This is my first TBS game and normal certainly hasn't been too easy for me. I've been given so many opportunities to learn things, and now on like my 8th game just because I keep starting over to apply new knowledge. Playing Normal Ironman now to stop me from reloading when things go "unfairly" sour. I think getting used to the idea that your units, even the ones you like very much, can conceivably die and you have to press on. Watching "me" die in the game was traumatic, so I stopped naming soldiers.

I also still tend to rush things mid turn or not pay attention to certain cues. In one game my sniper blew himself up with a grenade because I hit 3 twice and thought I had my sniper rifle out (overwatch vs. throw frag). In another, I had a sniper who was kicking ass and making their way up the ladder. I went to rocket some enemies out of cover with my heavy and it said blocked - I ignored the warning. It turned out the rocket shot was blocked by my sniper's face D:

Going to suck this one up, though. First game where I've made any progress up the weapon tree (lasers for everyone) and it's entertaining if nothing else.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Eh, revive works well with going towards a medic heavy support. Which is how I rolled. And with "dont die on me man" i am pretty sure I NEVER had troops dying, ever. Not sure how that upgrade works, but I literally never had one soldier "die" after getting it (admittedly, i got it late). I lost a few in the last mission cause fuck it, i dont care if you are lying there critically wounded, this blaster bomb is taking out that ethereal!

But yeah, my support with 3 medikits, upgraded healing, revive and upgraded medkit was amazing. Dude kept so many folks in the fight it was insane.

And I enjoy more rockets over bigger rockets. More rockets allows me to get out of more jams, bigger rockets help me get out of a slightly bigger, more specific jam.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

I guess Revive didn't mean the difference between succeeding at the Alien Base Assault with zero casualties instead of having my entire squad wiped.

I'm not saying to put it on your primary Support. I'm saying that if you get a higher ranked Support from completing an Abduction mission, give him Revive. Then take him on a long mission, so that a lucky critical early on doesn't snowball into losing your entire squad!

Suppression was essential for me in the early game, and I got ahead of the lethality curve for a bit, and stopped using it as much. Now that I am in late game, I have been finding it very useful against elite mutons in cover. I suppress a muton in full cover, then flush them out, get the reaction fire, then get the rest of my boys in overwatch. A bit more involved than just shooting, but against low-percentage targets it's a low-risk strategy.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

Mayhem over Rocketeer but it's a hard choice man. It's hard and nobody understands.
    It mostly depends on what you took earlier. If you have the Shredder Rocket, then two's generally enough and you should go with Mayhem. 12-damage rockets and 9-damage shredders with the Blaster Launcher ain't no joke. But if you went with Suppression...I'm not sure if you can justify not taking the extra rocket. Being able to fire the first one off at anything that looks at you funny without worrying about "oh, but what if I get put up against really bad cover later on" is really nice. I don't trust grenades as far as I can throw 'em. Literally. You can't throw them very far, is the point.

It also partially depends on the rest of your squad. I tend to bring two heavies with me anyway, so Rocketeer would usually be way overkill. I rarely use all four of my rockets as it is.
    kaliyama wrote: »

Suppression was essential for me in the early game, and I got ahead of the lethality curve for a bit, and stopped using it as much. Now that I am in late game, I have been finding it very useful against elite mutons in cover. I suppress a muton in full cover, then flush them out, get the reaction fire, then get the rest of my boys in overwatch. A bit more involved than just shooting, but against low-percentage targets it's a low-risk strategy.

Um...couldn't you just go into Overwatch rather than suppress to exactly the same effect? Not that I'm anti-Rifle Suppression by any means.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options

Yeah, my main squad in my Classic Ironman win had both a Support and a Heavy with Suppression. They saved me a lot of grief against Thin Men and Mutons.

But, at the same time, being able to use Revive during the base assault after a lucky Muton crit and then again after a Sectopod shot 4 rockets at the same Heavy was the difference between me limping through the rest of the mission and cruising through it without casualties.

It also saved me on the final mission, where I made a mistake against a Berserker, but was able to revive my Sniper. The same Sniper who got bugged out in the final fight and chased the final boss with a pistol :)

• Options
    @Rami, you were a heavy lieutenant who went down swinging to save your native United Kingdom from an alien plasma bomb. You had grappling-hooked your way to a building, and the team ran into 12 thin men at once. Your rocketing kept more teammembers from dying, but you got perforated by a plethora of plasma pistols.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Supression should at the very least be a guaranteed hit on move. The computer will just stroll right out of it whenever it decides to move

• Options

The only thing I hate about suppressed enemies or enhancing cover bonuses is that it almost ensures damage against them in the form of grenades.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Double Post

mrt144 on
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Ironman Classic Update: July 2015 ended our bloodiest month since the beginning of the Interstellar War. Operation Shattered Hero resulted in the loss of six of our best operatives, as well as a significant portion of our command cadre. Replacements were recruited and have stepped up to fill the gaps but the loss of structure has led to several of our operatives being wounded while attempting unnecessary heroics. Psych corps is theorizing that the troops are experiencing severe traumatic symptoms brought on by the failure of the research team to deliver on their promise of modified alien weaponry for use. The good news is that plasma weapons have now been issued to the troops despite the necessary delays.

Sadly, operation Brutal Law brought the KIA total for the month to seven - @Farangu - "KarmaPolice" was shot at extreme range while providing flank support for the away team.
    BBA8EE9F142F5288A4DCE6FC1768A10323B28BDE

Squaddie @Buttpolice has become an immediate hit in the Barracks with the other operatives following his promotion. He is something of a practical joker, which serves to shore up sagging morale. Psych corps recommends he be allowed to continue his antics so long as they remain cheeky and amusing.

Sweet - I believe that's my first appearance. I'm even from Minnesota, which might as well be Canada at times.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I was unhappy with my combat support's functionality on my classic ironman run. He made a total of 1 shot using the first choice skill that involves making overwatch shots against shooting opponents, and I believe that same round was the only time he took two overwatch shots with his colonel ability.

Did use suppression a shitload, though. Of course, so did my medic. So good.

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    This thread confirmed that I need to wait until mods/patches do the following:

fix the bugs (flank LoS, soldier pathing, teleporting)
    remove stupid shit (one-choice strategic decisions, everyone can be Colonels)
    stop the game from lying to me (hit%)

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    "Werewolf" was always a little different, a little special... if only we had known how special. Nicknamed for her miraculously bold nightime assaults, her American counterpart Mike Stevens had this to say about their final mission together:

"She was always trying to excel, to stand out in her own way. The night missions, experimenting with all the alien tech I wouldn't dare touch... well she outshone the sun this time... I'll miss her."

She started as my second string assault, made the starting roster when I got more slots, always was a little different than my starting assault. I took several variations with her that worked well, and she was an amazing psionic. Her normal partner in crime was my support Ward. Ward didn't have the gift, but she got my one psionic blocker, so her and her friend were my anti-psycic duo. Flush & Surpression made a great combo too. Not that flush with an alloy cannon tended to need the followup. Oh, and stim smoke grenades.

Daris on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    "Remove stupid shit"?

Also lol lying hit %. Unless something came out in the last few days showing that it actually is lying...?

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So

This game is AMAZING.

I'm going to be starting a new playthrough now as my Normal Ironman run ran into some... bumps. The biggest tip I've learned: Do NOT go to bed right after being given an Abduction Mission choice. Why not you ask? Because when you wake up you may forget that that choice is pending and Scan right past it causing massive panic. Great job, APOD. Also, I had a weird bug (?) where Saving and Exiting.. didnt exit the game and instead kept me in the tactical map causing an errant click to move a soldier - revealing 4 floaters on top of the 2 Thin Men and Sectoid I was already dealing with.

I also learned something annoying. This isn't a bug but I think its a particularly poor design choice. XCOM is clearly a game that rewards careful planning and deliberate movements. Hence a lot of Overwatch to end turns. Except... when you start getting abilities the HOT KEY for Overwatch changes so that it end up different for every soldier (sometimes 2, sometimes 3, sometimes 4), so if you dont know this and are spamming overwatch after moving everyone once, you end up.. oh I don't know... firing a rocket right into your squad. I mean.. seriously? Everyone has overwatch. That should ALWAYS be the same hot key no matter what.

For what its worth, in my aborted playthrough @skyturnsred was a killing MACHINE. You would have become an amazing sniper, sky. Hopefully you show up again.

I'm sticking to Normal but might go for Manual Ironman, just since I'm still learning. I've never played an XCOM game, or really and squad tactics game before.

Speaking of learning.

Question: So... I think my current strategy involves starting in Africa and running up Sats to cover South America for the Continent bonus. Research wise, I push Containment and Arc Thrower first... then what? I was thinking Alien Materials to get better armor since I can CAPTURE weapons... but is it better to do weapon research first?

Also, those research credits you get for interrogations: Are they wasted if you don't have the research unlocked or will they apply when the research unlocks?

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    "Remove stupid shit"?

Also lol lying hit %. Unless something came out in the last few days showing that it actually is lying...?

Actually, it came out before the game was even released. Big interview about how their pre-rolled, pre-determined queue of percentile dice makes it so that EVERY CHOICE MATTERS while over in realityland some dude on twitter was talking about how rolling it on the spot was causing repeated crashes on the highway map.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    "Remove stupid shit"?

Actually, it came out before the game was even released. Big interview about how their pre-rolled, pre-determined queue of percentile dice makes it so that EVERY CHOICE MATTERS while over in realityland some dude on twitter was talking about how rolling it on the spot was causing repeated crashes on the highway map.
    I'm confused on what you're arguing here. Are you saying that random numbers aren't random if they're generated before they're needed?

• Options
    "Remove stupid shit"?

What? RNGs are seeded, bro.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think the only people that have a problem with pre-rolled random numbers (and the only people that would notice) are those that want to reload and take the same shot over and over, which completely removes the random really.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    "Remove stupid shit"?

I'm confused on what you're arguing here. Are you saying that random numbers aren't random if they're generated before they're needed?

Nope. I'm just saying that they keep rebranding their failures as features.

See also:The Discovery Mechanic, which was just a cut part of the abductee mechanic.

• Options
    "Remove stupid shit"?

Actually, it has. It's not telling the truth...

In your favor. At 4 or less people alive on Normal or Easy difficulty, you get bonuses to hit and aliens get penalties to hit you multiple times in a row.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It does seem to tell the truth on harder difficulties, though, so that's cool.

Also suppression is far from useless on classic. I have used it extensively to avoid being murdered by sectopods.

Does it stack, by the way? Because it seemed to be working better when I had like three people suppressing the sectopod.