Options

[GW2]Rysk is making the next thread. May the game continue to grow and evolve.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Am I the only one that thinks the ascended poppycock is much abloo abloo about nothing?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that thinks the ascended poppycock is much abloo abloo about nothing?

Yes sir you are. Shame on you. Get with the groupthink.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    In the world of Guild Wars magic is cheap, but a good barber is not.
    This is the same game where the first people to fight a gigantic dragon were all chefs and jewelcrafters.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular

I can see what are either bad design decisions or naive design decisions, but there does appear to be a lot of inconsistent whining about the lack of progression at 80 and the presence of progression at 80.

But then I'm certain there are people more than happy to latch on to anything perceived as contrary to ANet's design statement for no other reason than to be smug in the face of what some may have construed to be pretentiousness on the part of the developers.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    @Mojojoeo

Sorry I couldn't get on last night after walking dead I had to get some prep done for a colonoscopy and then just kinda went to bed. Depending upon if I can escape from my toilet tonight I shall try again to get on and get Frac 9 done.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    @Mojojoeo

Sorry I couldn't get on last night after walking dead I had to get some prep done for a colonoscopy and then just kinda went to bed. Depending upon if I can escape from my toilet tonight I shall try again to get on and get Frac 9 done.

all good... i ended up pugging 10 as i wanted to go to bed early. Went fine. No ring, multiple exotics and a few charged cores.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular

It might be. It's what, a roughly 10% increase in stats or some such? I think ascended rings have 103/68/68 on stats while an exotic ring would have 87/62/62 I think.

Currently, taking advantage of the fact that fractals 10+ can drop you an ascended ring for free sounds like a decent deal. Even if you do 1 difficulty a day, it's maybe 1.5 hours a day to do this if time permits. We've had a few rings drop in the guild so far and it'll save you money on buying exotics!

I'm interested to see how they give these out for PvE or WvW use. I'm also curious if they will finally make legendary items better in stats than exotics. The work to get the legendaries still seems to be much more involved than any existing ascended item, for example.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Well, my Mesmer has finally reached the point where I can attack, clone, dodge twice, shatter and phantasm for the kill on regular critters. Its nice to see things melt like sweet, sweet xp taffy.

It is a little different in comparison to my warrior's standard farming method, which consists of shooting all the things, then swinging an axe at them until they all die at the same time, or my Engineer's desperate scramble to survive while juggling grenades.

Speaking of desperate struggles, I'm pretty sure I'm Engineering wrong, somehow. Maybe I just need to man up and buy 'zerkers for him. That might solve the problem.

Risen being my problem. Stupid Risen and their stupid slapping and whacking and hitting that meat.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    @Mojojoeo

all good... i ended up pugging 10 as i wanted to go to bed early. Went fine. No ring, multiple exotics and a few charged cores.

Would you say the overall drops are noticeably better at 10? I need to get my arse in there. Starting to see my money supply run low and those t6 mats are stupid expenive and I want my GD sword...

• Options
    edited November 2012
    @Mojojoeo

Would you say the overall drops are noticeably better at 10? I need to get my arse in there. Starting to see my money supply run low and those t6 mats are stupid expenive and I want my GD sword...

Sage will come kick my ass with math for this....

gut feeling is that the fractals tiers are frontloaded with loot. Ie in 1-9 i got much better drops in 1-5 than 5-9. Now out of magic find gear due to difficulty on tier 10 im getting drops again....

Many have the same anecdote. So Im not sure.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    When you say drops, you mean rares and crap right? Since MF doesn't change how many drops you get.

How many tier 10 runs have you done though? I would think you need to do a TON of runs before saying anything about how drop rates vary between tiers.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    @Mojojoeo

gut feeling is that the fractals tiers are frontloaded with loot. Ie in 1-9 i got much better drops in 1-5 than 5-9. Now out of magic find gear due to difficulty on tier 10 im getting drops again....

Hmm on average I'd say my drops have been slightly better at 5+. I had 1 really good run at lvl 1 where i got 2 exos and a few rares... but beyond that it's usually just a rare here and there. At 5+ I almost always get atleast 1 rare and usually 2-3 plus an exo or two.

• Options
    @Mojojoeo

More anecdotal evidence. I seem to get better chest drops in earlier difficulty fractals, but I'm getting better mob drops in higher difficulty levels. I only use MF food, I don't use MF gear. This might be due to more mobs showing up in higher difficulties as well, so more chances could simply mean more loot which in turn means better chance for rare/exotic drops.

• Options
    Badwrong wrote: »
    When you say drops, you mean rares and crap right? Since MF doesn't change how many drops you get.

How many tier 10 runs have you done though? I would think you need to do a TON of runs before saying anything about how drop rates vary between tiers.

4 runs @ tier 10. When I say drops I only mean rares and exos and pinks. and i include chest drops which MF does not increase but I only care about the end result. My gear distribution on the ten runs has been extremely good.

And i said anecdotal @ best. but I base it on not just my expierence but Rysk and some others have had this conversation numerous times. I've run 1-10 an metric buttload- enough to almost afford a back piece if I had not bought 3 bags and the expensive infusion.

1-5 yellows flowed in. the latter numbers you hear the groans of many greens and blues from the party. but we need more data! whats your experience?

• Options
    Ardor wrote: »
    @Mojojoeo

More anecdotal evidence. I seem to get better chest drops in earlier difficulty fractals, but I'm getting better mob drops in higher difficulty levels. I only use MF food, I don't use MF gear. This might be due to more mobs showing up in higher difficulties as well, so more chances could simply mean more loot which in turn means better chance for rare/exotic drops.

be careful with the food as each fractal can delete the buff. :/

And the larger number of mobs/ higher chance thing is a good point.

my understanding is that the higher you go tier wise the greater chance for better gear you have.... including new stuff that doesn't have a drop rate anywhere else (the weaps? more pinks?)

But again more people should chime in with how its went for them....

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Woo, Makeover kits are now available. 250gems, or 5/1000gems for hair, 350gems or 5/1400 for everything not story related. (No race/story/class/etc changes)

I saw! TIME FOR A HAIR CUT!!!! this is good news!

In the world of Guild Wars magic is cheap, but a good barber is not.

Actually.... 250 gems is a pretty solid valuation. They coulda gouged hard for this.....

Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining about the price. I just find it amusing in an RP sense due to the current value of gear that a perm and a dye job cost more than a full suit of rare armor and weapons. The barber colleges must have more clout and stricter admissions than the other trade/adventuring guilds.
    All things considered: While a haircut is expensive, it is pretty reasonable for a plastic surgeon!

It makes sense for sylvari...replacing your aloe hair with branches ain't exactly a snip here and a snip there.

• Options
    1-5 yellows flowed in. the latter numbers you hear the groans of many greens and blues from the party. but we need more data! whats your experience?

For me... getting pinks and fractals is the only good thing FOTM so far. Orr events, plinx, brood, tunnel, spider, tar, back side of isle, etc.... WAAAY better for just pure rare/ecto/material/gold farming. You just kill more mobs and can always be in full MF while still plowing through masses of mobs, so its just faster.

FOTM I think you would need to be 30+ to really see it be the king of farming for everything (minus karma). Poeple who have posted about being 30+ sound bored with it though.

I like FOTM though, its fun. I just feel ANET is terrible at time/risk vs rewards. Like... fucking awful terrible shitty at it. Going around spamming staff #1 on my guardian shouldn't yield the best rewards at all...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Every time you anec to the dote, you're basically- You know what, I had something to say about Mecha Hitler battling Mecha Shiva but now I've lost it. I know I can kill.

I want to echo Badwrong here and join him in sincerely wishing that hard content were rewarded appropriately compared to mindlessly grinding thousands of mobs.

On the other hand, I feel the sinking sensation that such a thing might kill the glorious overworld zergs and leave the land barren and full of risen chickens.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Mordroth wrote: »
    I've made a good profit crafting 80 rares to create ectos - farming the mats as I adventure through dungeons and basically crafting "for free" since I got the mats while doing other things. Sure you could just sell the mats if you want, but in some cases I've turned 20s worth of mats into 90s worth of ectos (best case scenario!). Sure you don't make 10g per item, but if you do it enough times you do start to get ahead. If you aquire the mats yourself while running alts or doing world completion or dungeons, you can do quite well by upgrading the mats through crafting.

If you buy all the mats, then craft, then sell, you are definitely losing money. There is really no value in being a crafting "service" as the recipes are not hard to get. If Anet introduces recipe drops, that may change. Or if they make "Gifts of X" tradeable, that could also change in a big way.

It's important to note the absurdly high trading post fees in place here really kicks the 'buy mats -> craft' plan in the pants.

In EVE you could get down to basically zero market fees with the right skill and standing investments (which were quite time consuming). And it was still almost impossible to to make a profit on the first tier of crafting items because people would mine minerals, then make items, then sell them at less than they would have gotten for just selling the minerals. Their rationale of course was 'minerals I mine myself are free'.

With the TP fees here being high you really do quite a bit better crafting stuff you already have, as Mordroth says.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Used the haircut and makeover kit on my Mesmer and Guardian. Might do my Mesmer again, I'm not sure.

ANet taking all my dollars.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    More Anecdotes! The final levels of tier 1 have been a desert for me with respect for rares. I've been lucky to leave with a single rare in my bag. I haven't been through 10 yet for comparison. The only exotic I've gotten was from my first fractal that I ran, and I've yet to get any mist essences.

• Options
    edited November 2012

For me... getting pinks and fractals is the only good thing FOTM so far. Orr events, plinx, brood, tunnel, spider, tar, back side of isle, etc.... WAAAY better for just pure rare/ecto/material/gold farming. You just kill more mobs and can always be in full MF while still plowing through masses of mobs, so its just faster.

FOTM I think you would need to be 30+ to really see it be the king of farming for everything (minus karma). Poeple who have posted about being 30+ sound bored with it though.

I like FOTM though, its fun. I just feel ANET is terrible at time/risk vs rewards. Like... fucking awful terrible shitty at it. Going around spamming staff #1 on my guardian shouldn't yield the best rewards at all...

This will remain the best for a while, simply because it yields money and karma and the best rewards versus the time invested. I like fractals because it's something new(er) and I've always enjoyed working with groups. Fractals 10+ can get you the best stat rings, but no karma, even though you can get a decent drop rate of stuff.

I mean, it might not be easy to get data on activites and rewards per hour, but maybe anecdotal evidence could help?

Dungeons, figure you run a dungeon in 30 minutes. It yields 60 tokens, 1880 karma plus 3-4 liquid karma items and maybe 1 rare. So as long as you run different paths of a dungeon, you could look at roughly 120 tokens, 3760 karma, 6-8 liquid karma and maybe 1-2 rares in an hour.

I don't run plinx/orr events much, but I'm told if you follow the groups and use a karma booster, you can make 10k karma or so. I'll assume it means you're able to get maybe 6-7k karma an hour doing this without a booster and the few times I've done it, I end up with 2-4 rares an hour if I'm able to get in a group that can tag enough mobs.

Fractals, I usually end up with 1 gold or so after selling everything to vendor or on the TP after an hour, plus relics and 1 rare or exotic on average. No karma though, it's only money, though you do have the chance to get lodestones out of the bags that drop in some of the fractals (dredge and grawl seem to have lots of mobs to fight).

WvW, I don't do this enough to give any estimates at all.

Ori farming, In about 20 minutes, I can probably take 1 level 80 and get all the ori in frostgorge (2), malchor's leap (5), cursed shore (5) and southsun cove (2 + rich). This means I get roughly 52-62 ori in about 20 minutes. At today's prices of 2.1s per, you get about 1.78s after TP taxes. This gives you about 1.01 gold and maybe subtract 10s for waypoint fees, so you'll get about 91 silver in 20 minutes, not including the other stuff you harvest on the way. Pretty good for 20 minutes of work, no karma though.

Artereis, I've gotten 4 vials of mist essence and I'm at difficulty 11. I've run over 50 fractals now, I'm probably around 60 or so, for what that is worth.

Ardor on
  • Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Used the haircut and makeover kit on my Mesmer and Guardian. Might do my Mesmer again, I'm not sure.

ANet taking all my dollars.

Oh god... I need to be slightly more grey and make my eyes slightly more gold.... DAMN YOU ANET!

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I have gotten zero rares from Fractals 10...cause I am still on Fractals 7 (thanks to the acquisition of Mark of the Ninja from the Steam sale).

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    I rarely get any yellows from Orr farming and never have gotten an exo. I probably dont have enough MF for that so Fractals seems to yield more ectos for me.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So if they are taking a look at the ingredient costs for ascended items from the MF, should I wait on making a Tome of the Rubicon or do they find that to be a reasonable price?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    So if they are taking a look at the ingredient costs for ascended items from the MF, should I wait on making a Tome of the Rubicon or do they find that to be a reasonable price?

I'd say wait until you need the item (if you're on difficulty 10+ and don't have a ring).

I waited to make an ascended back item until I got bent over by agony the first time we did difficulty 10 against the maw. I made the carrion version, since ancient bones are dirt cheap compared to all other T6 blues.

You can work around the agony though, one suggestion might be to farm difficulty 10 until you get a ring and slot that with the versatile infusion. Then, if the costs to get ascended back items goes down, you'll be fine in the end. If you have the mats to make the thing, maybe wait until their next patch, then make it? See what other options might be available.

• Options

You should wait. the ring drop is free and should get your through tier 1. The back items may receive cost adjustments and there will be wvwvw additions in the very near future based on the AMA.

Your patience will be rewarded.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

Probably wait, unless you are frothing for some delicious agony resist; it looks like there are changes inbound.

E: Or wot mojo sed.

Huggles on
  • Options
    I'm personally waiting on all sorts of grindy things to be replaced with alternates.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It's not grinding, it's ascending.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Since anecdotes are the new pink: I was getting Oranges and Yellows left and right in 1-4, and it's raining Blues and Greens in 5-10. Well, now that the BF is back in town I get to do all the tiers all over again, woo!

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    well, decided to spend all my gold after a terrible AC detha run, where detha bugged and spent 20 minutes killing her just to end up logging to alt and then re logging to re-set the instance. only about 1.5 hrs to finish AC 2 D:

on the better (kinda) side, i spent all my monies to get my huntsman up to 400, then salvaged the rares i made, and got 1 ecto each, to make myself a berserker's shortbow. so at least i have an exotic weapon now. also, i bought my Ghastly torch (rampager) and noticed that prices seem a bit fucked for weapons. offhand weapons (torch/horn) are 210 tokens, 1hnd weapons (sword/axe/sceptre) are 300, and 2hnd weapons are 390??? who made up these price tiers? i mean really?

in fractals, are the exotic drops the named armors? are you generally best off to just sell them?

@houn if you get on at ~8pm PST then you're doing way better than me, i'm normally on after 10pm PST, and it's hard to find a dungeon group that isn't pants-on-head at that time. makes me sad. i actually want to run AC and COF. it also limits my desire to level alts, even though my main is a ranger. i just want to make some money

• Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    I'd be fine with ascended if it was a fractals only thing. I'm perfectly fine with agony as it is, as all of the content is still accessible without it, and I'm also fine with tiers which require agony resistance giving better loot. Since ascended stats are here to stay, though, I do hope that they make the cost closer to that of an exotic rather than a halfway point between exotic and legendary.

I mean, I can afford ascended backpieces for all my 80s right now, but I can also craft a new alt up to 80 for the price of a single backpiece, and for me, that's a much better value

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Gold is trading extremely favorably right now...today might be a good day to cash in some gems for beautiful gold!

It's amazing what happens when Arenanet puts in a reasonably price item that's extremely functional (appearance change kits).

I'll be the first to say it, since it hasn't been said here in a very, very long time.

Dear Arenanet, shut up and take my money!

• Options

You should wait. the ring drop is free and should get your through tier 1. The back items may receive cost adjustments and there will be wvwvw additions in the very near future based on the AMA.

I agree too, people should wait. Hell I'm enough of a poopsock to grind two legendaries, and still think waiting on this ascended stuff to get sorted out is the best way to go right now.

HOWEVER, in the meantime make fucking BANK off your ectos... or at least I am. Last I looked, 250 ectos is ~75g. There is no way these small stat bumps should be that expensive. But the price of ectos makes me think enough people dont care, so make money off them while you can.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    a halfway point between exotic and legendary.

They have said numerous times that that was their very purpose for adding this tier of gear.

So...don't get your hopes up.

• Options
    edited November 2012

I agree too, people should wait. Hell I'm enough of a poopsock to grind two legendaries, and still think waiting on this ascended stuff to get sorted out is the best way to go right now.

HOWEVER, in the meantime make fucking BANK off your ectos... or at least I am. Last I looked, 250 ectos is ~75g. There is no way these small stat bumps should be that expensive. But the price of ectos makes me think enough people dont care, so make money off them while you can.

This cannot be yelled from a high enough mountain.

Ectos are at an all time High and currently over 30s. this cannot last, its a constantly renewable resource and the recipies will be changed or redundant soon enough. Dump them so hard right now bank the money and buy them back cheaper.
    Xagar wrote: »
    a halfway point between exotic and legendary.

They have said numerous times that that was their very purpose for adding this tier of gear.

So...don't get your hopes up.

In the ama the lead guy specifically said that the cost is being evaluated. Its too expensive.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Also and I had this discussion in TS3 with a few people. We have so many folks chances are someone may have received one of these...

the dungeons drop BOP recipes for jewel-crafting. If you get one, You will be rich forever. the crafted items are not BOP. You can sell them. Each dungeon has one- the main mat is tokens.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/36587

They are hella rare. But the profits on them are insane. So.... if you have any of the recipes, congrats.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So the following link now appears on the GW2 mainpage about the winter event: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/december-2012/

But currently the link reroutes to the mainpage without error. Something to keep an eye on! We are invited to explore the wonderous workshop of toymaker Tixx (an asura).

This discussion has been closed.