As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]Rysk is making the next thread. May the game continue to grow and evolve.

• MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I sold 50 ectos and some standard drops from 3 fractal runs last night - made roughly 20g on the evening.
    Ardor wrote: »
    If you're looking for money, patience is always the way to go, Az was playing the market on hardened leather for the guild to see last night too with his methods of market manipulation and such.

I mean, right now according to GW2spidy, you could buy 50 T5 scales for 65 silver and 5 T6 dusts for 30.75 silver, total cost being 95.75 silver. This would require you to obtain at least (6) T6 scales you get for at least make a profit.

Same thing for T5 -> T6 totems it seems.

EDIT: Ok, looked up the recipe to do this. Looks like you put in (50) T5 mats, (5) T6 dusts, (1) T6 mat, (5) philosopher's stones. I've updated the above, assuming you have to buy the dust. I think you get 5-12 per forge? If that's true, I think this is still a viable method of making a little money?

Playing the market can be rough since there's 10% TP fees on each transaction. It doesn't sound like much but on pricy items like Lodestones it can be a big difference. I just about sold 20 Charged Lodestones last night for a 25s profit each - lots right? Well the TP charges would have made it only 5s each, which to me was not worth it as now Cores are going up too so I dont have a good way to replace them.

Mordroth on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Arryn wrote: »
    I ran a Fractal last night with some of my guildies. Unbeknownst to each other, they've all recently decided to switch classes. So instead of bringing their 80's, we ended up with a group composed of:
    - 1 lvl 80 Guardian (me), decked out in all 80s exotics.
    - 2 Warriors, neither of which was lvl 30 yet.
    - 1 lvl 35 Necro
    - 1 lvl 11 Mesmer.

They all offered to switch after seeing how low level the group was, but we decide to try it out for a laugh.

We then blew through the first two levels of Fractals with no problem. Now obviously, each of these people had been through the Fractals before on their other characters, so they knew the fights, what to do, etc. We only stopped due to time considerations.

I'd always assumed that the Fractals were sort of "made for 80s, but you can bring an upleveled toon with you if want" but now I'm not so sure.

Only bad part for them was that the xp sucked horribly compared to anything else they could've been doing at the time.

Yeah, the exp is pretty poor on my alt as well so I'm waiting until 80 to do much more. No bonus exp for completion unfortunately.

• The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Mordroth wrote: »
    Playing the market can be rough since there's 10% TP fees on each transaction. It doesn't sound like much but on pricy items like Lodestones it can be a big difference. I just about sold 20 Charged Lodestones last night for a 25s profit each - lots right? Well the TP charges would have made it only 5s each, which to me was not worth it as now Cores are going up too so I dont have a good way to replace them.

TP fee is 15% in total: 5% listing fee and 10% sales tax.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
    Really - well that makes it even worse. I thought it was 5% listing and then 5% at time of sale for 10% total.

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Ya, the listing fee sucks. For decent profit, I've found I have to hold onto stuff for a while. The day to day price changes aren't always enough to really make much. I still make a decent bit each day, but its with various thing I stock up on and write down what I got them for then check for when they have a worthwhile price to sell at.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Someone do math for me. Whenever I'm crafting and need to buy more refined materials (ie silk) I notice that scraps of silk, for example, are generally less than half of the cost of the full bolt of silk. For example a base item might cost 38c, but the refined item will cost 82c.

Is it ever worth it to buy hundreds of the base item, refine it, and resell it for the tiny mark up, or will you lose that profit in the listing fee?

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Also, make sure you look at both the buy/sell price and order price. If I see some weapon I can make, being put on the TP for 60s, but the orders are all around 30s, it tells you the chances you have of getting that 60s price.

gw2spidy is handy, but when you look at their crafting section, it uses the buy/sell price, which can greatly mislead you in the end. Their cost to craft is relatively accurate, their projected profit is misleading.

Ardor on
    Someone do math for me. Whenever I'm crafting and need to buy more refined materials (ie silk) I notice that scraps of silk, for example, are generally less than half of the cost of the full bolt of silk. For example a base item might cost 38c, but the refined item will cost 82c.

Is it ever worth it to buy hundreds of the base item, refine it, and resell it for the tiny mark up, or will you lose that profit in the listing fee?

Always look at the buy price versus the order price. You can buy silk scraps for 9c right now and sell the bolts for 22c. It means, 18c gets you 22*0.85=18.7 copper. Depending on how it rounds, you make 0-1c per combine.

• HounHoun Registered User regular

I have never messed with the TP beyond buying some cheap gear. That said...

If you can purchase a good for 38c, refine it for free, then list it at 81c, and ANet pulls 15% off the 81, you will gross roughly 69c per item, or 31c profit.

Am I understanding how the TP fees work?

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Isn't it actually 38c times 2, as that is generally the minimum amount of base material you need for one piece of refined material. So, 76c for mats, trying to sell it at 82c. Doesn't seem profitable.

reVerse on
    edited November 2012
    That's true, isn't it? Thus the initial cost would be 76c, and you'd be losing money on the sale.

Sorry, haven't crafted much.

*edit* MATHS

Houn on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    as always, GW2 Spidy does the math for you.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Why would he do that? Freak.

reVerse wrote: »
    Isn't it actually 38c times 2, as that is generally the minimum amount of base material you need for one piece of refined material. So, 76c for mats, trying to sell it at 82c. Doesn't seem profitable.

Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that it's 76 for mats, and selling for 82.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Well then which is more profitable to sell if you acquire the materials naturally?

Well, if you farm the mats, there's 0 monetary investment. It's all profit. So, which is bigger? 76 or 82? ;P

• OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    Well then which is more profitable to sell if you acquire the materials naturally?

Majority of the time it seems like the upgraded material is (barely) more than twice as expensive as the base, for instance a bolt of silk is more than twice as much as a scrap. There may be fluctuations one could take advantage of, I'm not sure.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
    hey remember how ectos were in GW1? Used to be you could farm then in the underworld and they were a really common mat. Then, obsidian armor dropped, dhuum skeletons dropped, ectos went through the roof and became by far the most expensive mat.

So what's going to happen when the precursor scavenger hunt gets released and everyone suddenly needs 500 ectos?

Remember, if you have a lot of one mat and find the price extremely inflated, never dump all the mats at a price anywhere close to seller value. Test the water first, and try to discourage fellow sellers the best you can. What you want to do is either load so much that you discourage fellow sellers, or cut profit by a large enough amount that you entice buyers - which you should only do during the crafting hours of the night. Making people cancel sell orders or buy orders means you win, and you can best do that with a big stock and less mats wrapped up in the higher sell tiers.

However, I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have time, because you have to babysit the market until you've sold the bulk of what you want to sell.

So learn a market and don't sell more than actual buyers can soak up. People usually buy hardened leather in clumps of 10-30 mats at a time, so don't unload more than 30 mats at any one price and expect to sell them before you're undercut.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    I've found that as you further refine mats (scraps to bolts to patterns or insignias to armor), the listings will garner profit, buy the purchase orders will produce loss, so I usually advocate that you sell the base mats.

In the case of silk scraps versus bolts of silk (2 scraps needed), silk scraps right now sell for 10-11c, the bolts sell for 21-23c. In this particular case, you can probably do better by making the bolt and selling it. Filing the order for bolts gets you 1c more than filling orders for scraps.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Well, if you farm the mats, there's 0 monetary investment. It's all profit. So, which is bigger? 76 or 82? ;P

I'm not talking about meeting buy orders, nor am I talking about selling at the lowest buy point. You can set your list price higher and then use TIME as a way to measure it. You spend TIME to attain a higher value of your item.

Also, not to mention, that sub tier 5 materials are likely to be more popular to sell at their base components. With a stack of platinum ore (or slightly more than that) I could get 25 or more levels in crafting without actually creating something useless since I'd need the bars to finish the crafting tier anyways.

It's like the market values represent the complete opposite of what the demand SHOULD be, especially since you cannot break the refined components into the base at a reasonable exchange (crafting and salvaging for example).

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Hooray, updated sig. <3@Huggles

Also, don't make me have to bust out the farming isn't free / opportunity cost / time is money speech.

Although acquiring materials naturally is totally different, I'm constantly swimming in crafting mats from leveling a billion alts.

Oh, and I can't remember if it was ever mentioned here or not: The size of the stack you're selling determines the order in which it's sold: Through craploads of testing the TP: Non 250 stacks always sell before 250 stacks, then it seems to process the rest of the sell orders in first in - first out order. The TP also "knows" if you're trying to game the system, so if you post 5 stacks of 200 it will combine them into 4 stacks of 250, whether you tell it to add onto your sell order or not.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah, if you don't care about the exact look of the gear, you don't need to do much.

If you want anything fancy though or the fun cash shop stuff or whatever, you are gonna have to work to make money. Or just spend real money.

The only real exception being dungeons. Although, from my experience with Explorable Modes this week, they make some pretty nice gold.

Speaking of, I figured out hte look I want on my Necro, and it requires approximately 600 Arah tokens, and 600 CoF tokens. He's only level 52 so it's something to shoot for (will probably be 80 by the weekend though).

Do these things seem like something people would be interested in doing over the coming days?

I'm still looking at getting The Birfrost, so I'm down for Arah grinding when possible.

So this, for example, is the basic info I was looking for: http://www.gw2spidy.com/recipe/11

The cost of buying 2 gossamer scraps (for example) is 7.18. The price to sell 1x bolt of gossamer = 7.87. Before a listing fee that's a difference of 69c, which over a 250 stack of scraps = 86.25s A pretty tasty looking chunk! However, enough gets eaten by the transaction fee of listing (39+79c to be exact) that you will actually operate at a loss by doing this. Which makes sense.

You should corner the market. Buy up all the gossamer and then re-sell at a profit.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    You should corner the market. Buy up all the gossamer and then re-sell at a profit.

Is the amount of gold required to corner a particular bottleneck commodity a value that can be met by NICE folks?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Is the amount of gold required to corner a particular bottleneck commodity a value that can be met by NICE folks?
    For the record~not interested in investing money in an endeavour like this hoping that it pays out in the end.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    who here is azazial goat?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

For the record~not interested in investing money in an endeavour like this hoping that it pays out in the end.

I also want to say market manipulation to that extent is highly frowned upon and/or bannable, but don't quote me on that.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Isn't that @Serious_Scrub ?

REG Rysk wrote: »

Isn't that @Serious_Scrub ?

It's Kaff, not sure who he goes by on the forums, but I think Scrub's someone else.

Yeah, Scrub and Kaff are different people, and Kaff is Azazel Goat

Aldo wrote: »

Pretty sure this would be damned-near impossible to pull off since the TP is across all servers.

trying to manipulate the market is not as good as finding a market manipulator and cockblocking them while making a profit

If you really want to do a forumwide effort, have everyone register on gw2spidy or something and watch different items (everyone should also watch prices of things they can't get a lot of / have a lot of). When the price dips, inform everybody so they can get a piece of the action. Once people have got stock on the cheap, they can take care of themselves to ensure profit. Either that, or they can give their stock to the watcher who will use it to monopolize sell orders, but really it's much safer to have one guy play with the big boys when they rise buy price and sell stock to the desperate buyers for profit.

If mojo and crew are correct, though, I'd liquidate anything you don't need/aren't watching in anticipation of a crash. If you're not in a hurry, try doing it through the crafting recipes where you know there's a good profit margin and can undersell to entice buyers. It's a slow moving market, though, so try to list on busy nights.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Well, I've unlocked most of my elementalist's abilities. Only thing left: trident.

I'm running around with dagger/dagger. Still a bit unsure of what to do- I think my problem is gonna be remembering what abilities I have on each element.

Is there a standard rotation of skills you perform as an ele (in PVE)?

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Well, I've unlocked most of my elementalist's abilities. Only thing left: trident.

I'm running around with dagger/dagger. Still a bit unsure of what to do- I think my problem is gonna be remembering what abilities I have on each element.

Is there a standard rotation of skills you perform as an ele (in PVE)?

For D/D you have a fire field which you can than combo into using the finishers on Earth. Earth 3 is a leap finishers and gives you fire aura, while 4 and 5 are both blast finishers and give Area Might. The fire aura is not that big a deal unless you are specced for auras, but basically going Fire 4 -> Earth 4 -> Earth 5 gets you a handful of stacks of might and ends on a big hit from Earth 5.

In addition, my preferred opening is to Ride the Lightning to something, Air 5 to knock them down, and go to Fire 3 to close the gap again and put down a fire wall and a pretty decent hit.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Anyone wanna get down for 2, 11-12 fractals tonight?

Speedruns baby.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Still need 7-10 here.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Anyone wanna get down for 2, 11-12 fractals tonight?

Speedruns baby.

I'm planning on a 10 run tonight for sure. 5 PST?

Still need 7-10 here.

I can make my 2 and 8 but I have been treading water helping nooblings for like 2 days. I need some progress.

get your 7 done and we can talk.

This discussion has been closed.