As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]Rysk is making the next thread. May the game continue to grow and evolve.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I don't see why people say fire is bad. It's IIRC the damage of 5.5 stacks of bleeding, and at least for the ele, most skills that apply it either do it in addition to doing other things or have a very short casting time.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Vorpal wrote: »
    How is fire the worst because of how it stacks?

Burning is the worst as it stacks duration only.... So in a group setting if just 1 person has hirer condition damage than you all of your burning is moot as his will tick and yours will not. highest tick wins. So in a group setting this can be very very problematic for say a guardian who only has real access to burning- any points in condition damage are wasted unless you stunted very hard towards it.

Burning does have the best condition damage to actual DPS ratio- but the only 1 stack thing kills its usefullness in MANY NOT ALL settings. dps = 8 + (4 * Level) + (0.25 * Condition Damage) per second

poison is in the middle cond dmg to dps ratio wise and with the same stacking but it allso puts a 33% debuff on the heals the target can recieve. dps = 4 + Level + (0.1 * Condition Damage) per second

Bleeding stacks on top of itself up to 25 times, but has the worst cond dmg to dps ratio. Best for groups as you just pile it on. dps = 0.5 * Level + 0.05 * Condition Damage + 2.5 = per stack per second

Solo burning is very very powerful- but in any grouping scenario any +condition damage for just burning may be completely mooted by the mechanics. So its subjectively worse based on the fact that most things you do in this game are grouped.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Double post wth.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    So, from a support perspective, going for condition duration instead of damage as a burn-enabled class might be the smarter way of burninating the country side? The burn stays on longer, so the actual condition damage people end up doing more damage, making shit die faster?

reVerse on
    edited November 2012
    reVerse wrote: »
    So, from a support perspective, going for condition duration instead of damage as a burn-enabled class might be the smarter way of burninating the country side? The burn stays on longer, so the actual condition damage people end up doing more damage, making shit die faster?

No. Your longer burn would still be over written by the stronger burn.

the game is flexible enough that if you are in a group with like a stacked fire ele and talked for a second about how you are built you can change up traits and armor on the fly to get around this.

mojojoeo on
    mojojoeo wrote: »

No. Your longer burn would still be over written by the stronger burn.

Well that's just ridiculous.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    hey guys, did you know you can forge masterworks to rares

masterworks are 2s each, 20% chance to upgrade,
    So, from a support perspective, going for condition duration instead of damage as a burn-enabled class might be the smarter way of burninating the country side?

I dunno about that; in a group, guardians can easily tick burning for the entire life of the enemy with just a couple traits and one utility skill. If you go heavy into it, though, you can glass cannon against enemies poor at condition removal, since there are so many ways to spike >10s worth of burning damage as is.

If I were going to farm grenth, I'd go for condition damage, toughness, and healing power (apothecary set) because of how the spectrals work. Same with any other enemy that hits too hard for you to stay around for very long.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    edited November 2012
    Paladin wrote: »

So, from a support perspective, going for condition duration instead of damage as a burn-enabled class might be the smarter way of burninating the country side?

I dunno about that; in a group, guardians can easily tick burning for the entire life of the enemy with just a couple traits and one utility skill. If you go heavy into it, though, you can glass cannon against enemies poor at condition removal, since there are so many ways to spike >10s worth of burning damage as is.

If I were going to farm grenth, I'd go for condition damage, toughness, and healing power (apothecary set) because of how the spectrals work. Same with any other enemy that hits too hard for you to stay around for very long.

SMART stuff on the masterworks, boss. very smart stuff.

the issue will be you have a double random case of : 1) did you get a rare 2) does it sell well OR did i get an ecto?

I know what I'm doing at lunch

mojojoeo on
  • VorpalVorpal Registered User regular

Same 20% chance to upgrade if you put 4 in the MF as rares have, right? So you'd need 4x5 20 masterworks (on average) which is ~40s which is more than most of the cheap rares go for.

Er, or was before the ecto price rise. I guess if rare prices lag behind ecto prices and masterwork prices lag behind that it gives you an alternate route to fulfilling ecto demand if you are speedy ;)

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Regarding greens to rares in the mystic forge, it's all about if you like gambling or not! It costs 8s to make 1 combine with masterworks. Thus, the average cost to make 1 rare, would be 32s. (1 in 5 chances, every failure gives you 1 more masterwork, thus, 4 failures gives you one more forge chance without buying 4 more masterwork items)

Likewise, when you assume 20% chance for rares to exotics, if the random rare costs you 20s (buy orders), it costs you 80s per combine and 3.2g to average 1 exotic.

You are a goddamn genius.

edited November 2012
    is this not the coolest focus ever?

Spirit_Links.jpg

yours for just :
    1 Eldritch Scroll
    70 Mystic Coin
    250 Glob of Ectoplasm
    10 Orichalcum Ingot

mojojoeo on
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Ok, more elementalist stuff.

I tried the skill pattern mentioned earlier, and I love it. Even though my attunement recharge rate is crap right now.

So, traits. From what I've gathered, 20 into Arcane seems pretty standard, due to the attunement rate recharge. For the selectable traits, I was thinking Elemental Attunement, and... Windborne Dagger? (I'm d/d.)

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to get. 15 in Water seems good for Soothing Mist and Healing Ripple. Zephyr's Speed in Air and Stone Flesh in Earth also seem worth picking up.

Any suggestions?

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    So, I've been playing my Engineer more lately, and find it far more relaxing than my Ele. I've been kinda focusing on Dual Pistols and Flamethrower to stack condition damage, but was wondering:

I'm currently starting pistols, 2 for poison, 4 fire, a few 1 auto-shots, then flip to Flamethrower, 1 autos, 2 when up, 345 as needed.

However, I'm thinking that starting flamethrower 21435, THEN flipping to pistols, 245 kite with 1, since the 1 bleeds are so damn short. Thoughts?

Heh that was actually an incomplete post I forgot about as I was wondering about its profitability, which I took an interest in after getting two rares in a row -> 3 ectos.

Right now I'm buying exotics on the cheap since some people apparently think selling for 50 is a good deal

I doubt masterworks will ever rise in price because it's just too much a burden on storage capacity to keep them during plinx runs, and the fact that they're not stackable means that most people won't bother buying them off the trading post.

If you need ectos now and the price goes up a couple more silver, though, don't sell a single masterwork if you can help it - especially if you can craft the ectos into high demand items for a profit, which is how I currently enjoy making money

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Well, I just made about 5g with masterwork->rare->ecto, but then Zomorro's grace abandoned me :(

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

I tried the skill pattern mentioned earlier, and I love it. Even though my attunement recharge rate is crap right now.

So, traits. From what I've gathered, 20 into Arcane seems pretty standard, due to the attunement rate recharge. For the selectable traits, I was thinking Elemental Attunement, and... Windborne Dagger? (I'm d/d.)

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to get. 15 in Water seems good for Soothing Mist and Healing Ripple. Zephyr's Speed in Air and Stone Flesh in Earth also seem worth picking up.

Any suggestions?

I prefer 30 arcane for fastest possible attunement swaps. Unless they fix the 30 point skill on dodges to be a blast finisher again it's not worth it though.

If you want damage you go 20/20 fire/air apart from that, with 30 in either if you only go 20 arcane. 30 fire is presumably better as it gets you ~5 might stacks or so permanently while in fire, although 30 in air might be better due to 100 precision/10% crit damage being awesome due to how crit and crit damage just make each other better and better.

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

Any suggestions?

I don't often spec into deep Fire or Air, so I'm sure others can give you better info. I usually run around in an "unkillable" spec, basically cleanse spam + dodge roll spam. Either 0/0/10/30/30 or 0/10/10/30/20. I swapped to the latter after the Evasive Arcana change, but I can definitely feel the 2 second change in attunement cooldowns so I may swap back.This is very close to the spec the WvW 1v4 guy was running from Badwrong's post the other day. There are definitely higher damage specs, but I've found that this works great for D/D, S/D or Staff support without retraiting, and you can swap things around for Dungeons or fractals or WvW or farming well enough. I'm personally someone that also prefers to play more defensively, so this may not be your style.

Arcane: Elemental Attunement is the best trait we have. Windborne Dagger is great for leveling, but keep in mind you'll be getting a swiftness boost every time you hop into Air from Elemental Attunement so it's not super necessary. Arcane has several nice bonuses: Arcane Mastery if you use any Arcane skills: Arcane Wave is great for combos, Arcane Blast is great for burst, Arcane Shield is great for PvP but the cooldown always felt like forever for me. Final Shielding talent is nice for tanking in WvW, and Renewing Stamina will let you dodge roll for forever. (I prefer using Sigil of Energy in one weapon, it does work on attunement swap. More info on which sigils work on attunement swap here) Evasive Arcana is still pretty good if you go 30 points in, it's just slightly less good now that they've taken the blast finisher out.

Air: Zephyr's Boon is a nice 10 point talent in Air, or Quick Glyphs for Glyph of Lesser Elementals + Glyph of Elementals. Both the elite and baby Elementals are fantastic, Fire for damage, Water heals like a beast (but it's in his melee range), Air for stuns and Earth can tank like a champ if you throw some heals on him.

Earth: Elemental Shielding is nice for D/D, or Earth's Embrace when stacking unkillable fun.

Water: Water is my favorite line, I run 2x Cantrips most of the time (Mist form, Armor of Earth, Lightning Flash depending on encounter) so Soothing Disruption and Cantrip Master are great for me. Cleansing Wave is amazing, and removes 2 conditions when paired with Cleansing Water. The nice part about that is we can skimp on Vitality since we're little cheating cleanse machines. Oh, and I almost forgot Powerful Aura! For fun times combo that + Magnetic Aura (Earth Staff 3) on the Dredge suit in the Dredge fractal...

There are a couple other fun builds that I haven't played with too much: A deep Earth Signet build (with Written in Stone) and a conjured weapon build. (more fun in groups where you can get everyone to leave your second dropped weapon for you to use)

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    Well, I just made about 5g with masterwork->rare->ecto, but then Zomorro's grace abandoned me :(

2 rares 1 ecto of like 10 tries. YUCK>

In light of releasing that tip probably a week before its primetime, here's another that won't screw me over for telling you about it:

Making money from crafting is the least risky thing you can do, especially if you anticipate that prices will rise in the future or are stable and you have a lot of mats/ectos you need to offload.

Here's what you do:

Go to gw2spidy, select crafting, sort by profit descending

Ignore the destroyer weapons, the satchels of armor, the trays of food, and possibly the level 65 exos and rares, and look at the most expensive exotic (or if you're lucky, rare) item that you can find.

Click on it and look at the crafting page. If it is entirely cheaper to craft every component you're good to go, otherwise buy the cheaper components (though that adds risk) BUT before you do that, though, make sure it's a safe investment:

1. check the trading post price to see if it matches or has lagged a bit.

2. look at the item's price graph and check to see that's not in a huge spike above the sell mean. It can be a little bit above, more so if the price has a history of variation.

Now look at the next most profitable applicable item on the list. Sell your item for less than the profit of that item, or if possible, less than the profit of several items so it goes down from rank one or better yet, drops off the front page of the search. Never ever sell for 1 cent cheaper than the top: you want a big margin to fool or discourage prospective sellers and trick buyers into thinking they're getting a great deal.

Wait around and hope for prices to increase or destabilize just enough for your sale to go through.

This method works because it removes gw2spidy as a tool your competitors can use, which means you're only really competing with people who see the deal at the same time you do, get your exotic as a random drop (come on, when is that going to happen), or are just plain dumb and craft willy nilly at a loss.

If you can snag a rare and drop it off the front page, it's a much more guaranteed sale (even at a price spike), is less of a risk, and is generally a better way to offload excess mats. However, if you really need to chew through a bunch of mats, you should probably depend more on price history and track both the prices of the item and the price of the component mats and sell whichever hits your arbitrary price point first.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Honestly, at the moment, I keep a 10g buffer and stuff everything else into gems.

As far as I can tell, they're going to keep climbing at least 'til around 3g/100, which is the going rate for goldsellers.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    @paladin why do you say to ignore the destroyer weapons and satchels? are they artificially inflated?

Feldorn wrote: »
    @paladin why do you say to ignore the destroyer weapons and satchels? are they artificially inflated?

The mats to make them are cost prohibitive.... i think.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    ironzerg wrote: »
    The traits are more important than the stats, but if you can find some synergy between the traits your picking and the stats you desire, that's a bonus.

In otherwords, don't pick up crappy traits because you want that extra precision, but also consider that the value of a trait line in total is (Traits + Stats). If you have to make a choice, traits>stats as you can always gear for different stats, but the traits will define your character.
    The best stats are toughness, healing power and critical damage.

And I can't tell if you're serious or not, but...

Toughness is also fantastic if you have a lot of ways to heal yourself, since it'll "doubl up" on giving you more effective hit points AND making your healing more effective per % of health.

Healing power, at least for Warriors and Guardians (the two classes I'm most familiar with) is by far the worse stat choice. It may be better for engineers or elementalists who can trait for more healing specific builds, although in my experience trying to be a pure healer isn't necessarily a fantastic choice in GW2.

Critical damage is only useful when combine with high precision, and it's generally better to not trade power for crit damage, as higher power will ultimately lend to more overall damage, since it will give you higher normal hits, which in turn gives you higher critical hits.

Yeah, traitwise I'm CURRENTLY specc'd for a support-based elixir gun / elixirs build designed to keep everyone on their feet during dungeons. I've got pretty good durability in the field too; at this point, I think I've died only once a week or so, and that's usually due to meandering into a giant knot of FUCKING RISEN. And even then, it takes them a while to take me down.

I'm thinking of moving towards a Flamethrower Juggarnaut build just to see if I can make it viable though, with a focus on basically being artillery with legs. I don't need turrets, I AM THE TURRET. Which is going to mean a combination of mondo toughness + critical damage + condition damage.

In the end I may shift between a "KEEP HOPE ALIVE" build for dungeoneering and maybe Wuvwuv zergs, and then TANK BUSTER for soloing.

I think in the end in my heart I'm trying to bring back the pre-nerf GW1 Dervish, wherein you were essentially a giant HP sink that waded into people and then dropped AoE everywhere. I hear Elementalist is good for that too, so that may be my next try. Though Mesmer is tempting me. TEMPTING ME.

*e* Also currently I actually have more points in Tools, which has given me significantly better mobility. I've noticed that so-called "tanking" in this game is equal parts dependent on damage soak AND the ability to dodgedodgedodge. Even then, my current setup with my Engineer gives me one reflect (shield), one block + daze (shield), four dodges total (Elixir R), Swiftness (tools 10), and 2 heals (elixir H + Elixir gun 5), and regen all over the place (elixir gun 5, elixir gun toolbelt, sometimes elixir H)

Plus all dem boons. Which all in all means that if I'm paying attention, I am pretty hard to kill.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »

The mats to make them are cost prohibitive.... i think.

not doubt about that, i was just curious.

for satchels, i think they were artificially high recently, looking at spidy they've all come down a lot in margins.

edited November 2012
    Items that are constantly on top of the heap with huge margins are suspicious: they're overpriced and have no demand: destroyer weapons are purely cosmetic and satchels are a long game based on a fix for their unprofitable nature. Think before you craft: is it reasonable for a person to want to purchase what you're selling? Level 80s ding all the time, and they almost universally ding before they get the mats and crafting masteries needed to exo themselves up. Then they are unsatisfied with their exotics and want to reroll - after all, you can save some loss by salvaging/forging soulbound exotics, so re-speccing isn't out of the question.

This is why the jeweler market is such a safe bet: jewels cost less, have no cosmetic value, and people usually ignore them before 80, so they'll squelch less when thinking about trinket sets.

If you can sell satchels, tell me and I'd be interested, because I may be overestimating the market of people that like to mix and match or buy their armor in pieces rather than going bulk. Also, remember to divide the profit by 6 for armor sets.

Paladin on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So is it likely that gems will keep going up then?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    With the introduction of the cosmetic consumables and the assumed items associated with the arrival of Asura Santa, I would guess it will be highly unlikely that gems prices will fall until well into 2013.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    you know, i just noticed something in spidy, shortbows have 50% of the stats of a rifle/longbow. is it like this in game too? i don't remember, i'll be sad if it does, since you still don't get to have an offhand with a shortbow.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Is there somewhere to spend karma other than heart vendors? As I'm leveling up I must be missing something. Because where as they have some great stuff on those vendors I don't really see anywhere else to spend it.

cptrugged wrote: »
    Is there somewhere to spend karma other than heart vendors? As I'm leveling up I must be missing something. Because where as they have some great stuff on those vendors I don't really see anywhere else to spend it.

you can get exotic armor for 42k karma/piece in the orr zones. also, you'll need a little over 500k for most legendary weapons.

SAVE THY KARMA
    SAVE IT

You actually wanna hoard that shit. Me, I dump it into getting various food related shit from some vendors (also: why is it so hard to find some of the food hearts. Why.) but once you hit 80, there's a lot of other stuff you can do with it. I'm saving mine for trying to get Flameseeker Prophecies.

Brody wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    So is it likely that gems will keep going up then?

The only gem market I've been thoroughly exposed to was spiral knights, where cash gem purchases were an exceedingly good deal compared to grinding. It's the opposite here, because gold is currently easy to get and it's getting easier.

If some thing in game makes everybody rich, gem prices will go up because nobody will buy gems with cash and everyone will suddenly afford gems with gold. If a cash sink or farm nerf suddenly makes it very hard to earn a buck, gems will go down. I'm still trying to figure out how increased player populations decrease or increase prices, but considering that increased player loads expedite farming/dungeoning (solo is never profitable) I'd wager that events increase gem prices.

I don't like buying gems cause you can't place orders, which you could do in spiral knights. However, it's a good way to safeguard against market fluctuation, as there will always be a time where gems skyrocket.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    So I guess its not a good idea to spend the gems I've been saving up on bank space then? Cause damn the starting bank space sucks.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

SAVE THY KARMA
    SAVE IT

You actually wanna hoard that shit. Me, I dump it into getting various food related shit from some vendors (also: why is it so hard to find some of the food hearts. Why.) but once you hit 80, there's a lot of other stuff you can do with it. I'm saving mine for trying to get Flameseeker Prophecies.

The food sacks are pretty much a nominal expense; might as well. The other stuff, yeah, hold out if possible.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

SAVE THY KARMA
    SAVE IT

The food sacks are pretty much a nominal expense; might as well. The other stuff, yeah, hold out if possible.

Counter-point:

With exception to the jugs (SAVE THESE FOR 80 AND BOOSTS) the amount of karma you get leveling is trivial and the cost of stuff from vendors is trivial. Feel free to buy stuff along the way if it helps you out or looks cool. And don't for get racial weapons cost karma so you can always shoot for one of those cool skins!

• VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I was very well served by buying 250 of every karma food item I came across back before they removed most of them from karma vendors. Made levelling cooking to 400 much easier.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

SAVE THY KARMA
    SAVE IT

Counter-point:

With exception to the jugs (SAVE THESE FOR 80 AND BOOSTS) the amount of karma you get leveling is trivial and the cost of stuff from vendors is trivial. Feel free to buy stuff along the way if it helps you out or looks cool. And don't for get racial weapons cost karma so you can always shoot for one of those cool skins!

Yeah, but in my mind obtaining good stuff takes the front seat to making it pretty. It's not like the karma vendors with the cool skins magically vanish when you hit 80. ;)

You're right about income, but really, with the TP prices for gear being what they are, you're probably better off not burning karma on it except for the skin.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012

masterworks are 2s each, 20% chance to upgrade.

Is the 20% verified?

As per our discussion in /guild last night, I think this only makes sense if you use your own drops for the combines. Buying greens for this will cost you ~36s, and by the time you add the TP percentage and the ecto percentage in you could get really screwed. If ectos get up to over 50s, then I could see this being more reliable.

If we expand it all out to infinity, this is what you get:

16 mw's to create one rare (5 combines, reuse poor results)
    0.9% chance of ecto per rare using master/mystic kit (from Sage's calculations)
    = 18 mw's per ecto @ 2s per mw = 36s cost
    Ecto at 40s less 15% TP fees = 34s sale
    Profit/Loss = -2s

While it is close, I think there needs to be more of a margin there before I sink 20g into testing.

[EDIT] Typos!

Mordroth on
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I was very well served by buying 250 of every karma food item I came across back before they removed most of them from karma vendors. Made levelling cooking to 400 much easier.

Yeah. There's still a bunch of ingredients you can only get via karma ( lemons, for instance) which are WELL worth dumping karma into. In fact, next time I can actually log on I'm going to go on a Cooking Quest to try to hit all those nodes.

This discussion has been closed.