As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]Rysk is making the next thread. May the game continue to grow and evolve.

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I think the only good argument one would have with buying/making rares to salvage for ectos, is that you think those ectos, while not beating your opportunity cost, will eventually be worth more money in the future. Using your math above, you're losing an estimated 2s per salvage right now (unsure if you take the 61c cost per salvage into account with master kit), if the ectos are worth more in the future, you might actually end up making money on the salvages today.

Otherwise, when you look at opportunity costs today for putting stuff into the mystic forge, regardless of rarity or how you got it, it usually makes more sense to sell the mats or items, rather than gamble with it both on the forge and/or with the kit.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Is there somewhere to spend karma other than heart vendors? As I'm leveling up I must be missing something. Because where as they have some great stuff on those vendors I don't really see anywhere else to spend it.

SAVE THY KARMA
    SAVE IT

You actually wanna hoard that shit. Me, I dump it into getting various food related shit from some vendors (also: why is it so hard to find some of the food hearts. Why.) but once you hit 80, there's a lot of other stuff you can do with it. I'm saving mine for trying to get Flameseeker Prophecies.

The food sacks are pretty much a nominal expense; might as well. The other stuff, yeah, hold out if possible.

Counter-point:

With exception to the jugs (SAVE THESE FOR 80 AND BOOSTS) the amount of karma you get leveling is trivial and the cost of stuff from vendors is trivial. Feel free to buy stuff along the way if it helps you out or looks cool. And don't for get racial weapons cost karma so you can always shoot for one of those cool skins!

Yeah, but in my mind obtaining good stuff takes the front seat to making it pretty. It's not like the karma vendors with the cool skins magically vanish when you hit 80. ;)

You're right about income, but really, with the TP prices for gear being what they are, you're probably better off not burning karma on it except for the skin.

Well it's certainly preference but since the amount of karma you get scales with level I just think it makes sense not to get too caught up in saving pre-80. If you see a sword that has better stats and it costs like 450 karma... buy it. At 80 that 450 is but a drop in the bucket and will not make a lick of difference. That sword however will make a noticeble difference, so why not?

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I though maybe I could trick the market and buy those bags in bulk and open them for t5 t6 mats..... those are even pricey now. This market sucks.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ash_Legion_Spy_Kit

Works in dungeons. Costs 28 karma. 10s invisibility without a cooldown, buy a stack like I did and be a ninja.

delicious.
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Here is UTLD mopping up a bunch of Tarnished Coast while being outnumbered. I was there with one other NICE as well. Was fantastic.

Coordinated pushes just destroy the mindless TC zerg over and over....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_UN9IHvfjDA#!

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    So when do we WvW now? I still go in, usually to EB nowadays because I want to learn that map better, but it seem like NICE doesn't WvW as much anymore.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I just don't have the time/desire to go midweek, even though I know I should.

It's always fun, and my intent is to be around for the start of wuv this week.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Builds are like children: everyone thinks theirs is the best, and nobody wants to listen to anyone else talk about their own, mostly because they never seem to think there's anything wrong with it.

Let me tell you about my build, guys!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQRAsd7alwziqXVzoGa9IxpHMf5NHlit79SKwduB

I really wish I'd discovered Sharper Images earlier in my PvE career, because it would have meant that my time from 25 to 80 wouldn't have been as much of a low-damage hell. I enjoy being the support unit in RPGs, and I tried to find a nice damage mitigation engine that would work solo and in groups, and I just couldn't get anything that didn't involve blowing every single counter-attack I had on my skill bar to take down one enemy at a time. Prior to this, I was using a slight modification on the canonical Glamour-bomber build. So I decided, to hell with it, I was going to find a damage build I liked based on a stupid-simple premise: how much damage could I cause with Phantasms? What I wound up with was something like this, and another build that went further into Domination to get the Greatsword. After a while, I realized that I could shuffle my trait points around to the distribution I have now in order to go deeper into Glamours, and that was the "aha" moment.

I'm not sure there's a class in the game better at projectile fuckery than the Mesmer. Once you have Warden's Focus and an extended Feedback, you've got three separate barriers to projectile attacks, which constitute quite a bit of the game's hazardous elements. Light and Ethereal fields are great support combo fields, as well, which is all good. But the workhorse in terms of damage is the build's phantasms. Illusionary Duelists powered up through Phantasmal Fury and Phantasmal Haste are Bleed machines-- I've seen it go as high as 18 simultaneous stacks or so, and theoretically I could probably reach 25 just with Duelist fusillades. Put an Ethereal field like Feedback over them, and not only do you get all that bleeding, but a good number of Confusion stacks as well. When multiple enemies attack, the Illusionary Warden operates on a very similar principle to the group of enemies-- he attacks five or six times per swing, each of which is a possibility of more Bleeds against everything nearby (and that sweet projectile-reflection damage). Pulsing regeneration to allies is cool, too, but not really significant. For the most part, this is all about the ability to put a hojillion bleeds on one or multiple enemies combined with the ability to support the team by knocking off conditions or deflecting enemy projectiles.

The need for the Scepter is unfortunate, but the only alternative I see is sacrificing Phantasmal Haste or Temporal Enchanter so I can have the points to put into Dueling to get Blade Training, which would partially justify using a Sword in the main-hand for both slots by cutting its recharge time.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    Is Phantasmal Haste actually working yet? I know it wasn't at release, and wasn't after the most recent patch which specifically said "this trait now works." But maybe one of these mini-patches fixed it? I haven't tested in a while.

borb_sig.png
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    @saeris i think the last balance patch straight said: "phantasmal haste now works!"

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »
    @saeris i think the last balance patch straight said: "phantasmal haste now works!"

Yup.

•Phantasmal Haste: This trait now works.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Don't forget mimic, which not only absorbs a projectile for use but apparently gives you some immunity for a time.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Don't forget mimic, which not only absorbs a projectile for use but apparently gives you some immunity for a time.

It doesn't absorb, it copies one that hits you. It then reflects for the remaining duration though, and the low cooldown makes it the single best skill in the game against young karka.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Sorry kind of took the terminology directly from the tooltip.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I really wish I'd discovered Sharper Images earlier in my PvE career, because it would have meant that my time from 25 to 80 wouldn't have been as much of a low-damage hell.
    You mean from 40 to 80. It's a Master trait, you don't unlock those until 40, unless I'm mistaken.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Good god fractals were mean last night. Some of the roughest runs. I blame no one but the fractals in retrospect. Run bugs causing falls, fractals bugging, @paladin having we will call "the colossus crazies", wipes, wipes, wipes.

and through all of my whiney old man crankieness and the troubles we had -> these fell in my lap.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Red_Ring_of_Death
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/There_with_Yakkington:_A_Traveler's_Tale

and I got my [gift of ascencion] to make the book ascended(infused) and 'Glow like a mother'. A night of ups and downs.

its changeover night! get hype.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So when do we WvW now? I still go in, usually to EB nowadays because I want to learn that map better, but it seem like NICE doesn't WvW as much anymore.

I'm still wvwing evenings for an hour or two, mostly by myself now. I'll loop you in next time, but usually when I've been calling out where I've been wvwing, no one joins anymore so I sort of stopped.

I'm certainly not wvwing as much, I've complained in gchat but the current wvw meta is really obnoxious. There will be like one zerg of 25-30 players who just sweeps into a tower, or keep with no intention of actually pvping, they just want to WvDoor and will try and sneak-cap the point as quickly as possible, then immediately abandon it and move onto the next target. If enemy numbers show up, the main body of the zerg (which is usually on a TS server somewhere), will quit the field but the pubbers or people not in TS don't know this and get rolled. The zerg also generally leaves a trail of corpses, as no one resses, and stragglers, or those without significant travel buffs fall behind and get picked off. It's been happening a lot to me this week, and it's so frustrating to constantly get killed by 5-10 enemies when there's a zerg of 40 allies just in front of me who don't want to actually fight anyone.

The exception to this, I've noticed, has been on Fort Aspenwood. At least when you're the defending map, the guild zergs show a lot more interest in holding their gains, at least the keeps. They tend to ignore the towers and just let them be capped, then the pubs will recap it once the enemy zerg (who is doing the same thing as in the previous paragraph) moves on.

I suspect tonight could be more fun though with the server changeover.

I noticed last night that there was significant TC and Yaks presence on the Fort Aspenwood BL, so there was a lot of great action happening. But the TC and Yaks borderlands were completely empty and held by the defenders.. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM WONDER WHY?

I'm still wvwing evenings for an hour or two, mostly by myself now. I'll loop you in next time, but usually when I've been calling out where I've been wvwing, no one joins anymore so I sort of stopped.

I'm certainly not wvwing as much, I've complained in gchat but the current wvw meta is really obnoxious. There will be like one zerg of 25-30 players who just sweeps into a tower, or keep with no intention of actually pvping, they just want to WvDoor and will try and sneak-cap the point as quickly as possible, then immediately abandon it and move onto the next target. If enemy numbers show up, the main body of the zerg (which is usually on a TS server somewhere), will quit the field but the pubbers or people not in TS don't know this and get rolled. The zerg also generally leaves a trail of corpses, as no one resses, and stragglers, or those without significant travel buffs fall behind and get picked off. It's been happening a lot to me this week, and it's so frustrating to constantly get killed by 5-10 enemies when there's a zerg of 40 allies just in front of me who don't want to actually fight anyone.

The exception to this, I've noticed, has been on Fort Aspenwood. At least when you're the defending map, the guild zergs show a lot more interest in holding their gains, at least the keeps. They tend to ignore the towers and just let them be capped, then the pubs will recap it once the enemy zerg (who is doing the same thing as in the previous paragraph) moves on.

I suspect tonight could be more fun though with the server changeover.

I noticed last night that there was significant TC and Yaks presence on the Fort Aspenwood BL, so there was a lot of great action happening. But the TC and Yaks borderlands were completely empty and held by the defenders.. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM WONDER WHY?

It degenerates into circling zergs. And I have a distaste for the forum politics and back door deals to pit 2 servers against 1. These are why I have not wuvved much lately.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    It's interesting to hear you guys say that about WvW...I'm on SBI with a guild of about 260 people, and interest in WvWing has dropped off to nearly non-existant in the last month.

Hmmm, so [GODS] has done a transfer-to-win and have gone to Tarnished Coast.

I will bring more details, for amusing MMO drama:

Apparently Derp the Derpinator and co kicked a large number of players because apparently they don't want to be known as just letting 'anyone' in. Some people had a problem with this, and 15-20 people called him out and decided to transfer to TC to get away from Derp and other leaders in GODS, and now GODS is following out of spite, or something.

• ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    So Sage convinced me last night that making silk gloves and salvaging for ectos is a profitable venture. It's not going to make you rich overnight, but that it's a steady, pretty reliable source of income.

The cost to make silk gloves right now assuming the following costs (silk scraps are 11c (need 8), leather sections are 12c (need 2), thread is 48c (need 11), blues cost 1.45s on buy orders (need 15), master kit per salvage is 61c) is roughly 28.76s. She also mentioned having a return rate of up to 0.98 ectos per salvage with over 200 sample size.

So, based on this information, if you want to make money by doing this, I'll put the potential ecto salvage rates with what you need to sell the ectos for to make money (this might involve waiting for them to go up a little more if needed)

(Ecto salvage rate / price to sell ecto for profit)
    0.85 / 39.81s
    0.9 / 37.60s
    0.94 / 36.00s
    0.98 / 34.53s

Ectos are currently selling for up to 37.63. So on average, you should be able to make money doing this right now, and if ectos keep rising, you will make money on this in the future.

In taking a look at ecto supply/demand over the past few days, the demand (buy orders) fluctuates between 75k and 78k and the supply (sell listings) have fluctuated between 3k and 7k. The price is high and the supply is at a week high right now, so I'd imagine the prices will continue to rise throughout the weekend. Also, unless people are re-listing their ectos for sale, there's probably a good deal of "buy now" going on.

Also, an interesting hypothesis on TS last night surrounding the peak ecto price. It evolves around something Paladin brought up earlier, which is forging greens to get rares. If greens cost you 2s each, 32s worth of greens should produce 1 rare on average (assuming 20% chance to get upgraded rarity in the mystic forge). Assuming a 0.9 ecto salvage rate, when the price of ectos reaches ~41.83s, it'll become profitable on average, to forge greens to rares and salvage for ectos. At that point, either greens will increase in price, or ectos will level off. So it might be a safe assumption that ectos, if they continue to rise, should cap out somewhere around 42s to maybe 45s each, unless green items start going up in price.

For the record, I salvaged 49 rares using a master kit and got 41 ectos (0.83) and that will still be profitable to me if they get to 40.77s each.

Ardor on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    That sounds comical.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited November 2012
    I will bring more details, for amusing MMO drama:

Apparently Derp the Derpinator and co kicked a large number of players because apparently they don't want to be known as just letting 'anyone' in. Some people had a problem with this, and 15-20 people called him out and decided to transfer to TC to get away from Derp and other leaders in GODS, and now GODS is following out of spite, or something.

Two things-

1) Derv is an asshole. he was dumb, standoffish and just flat would not cooperate EVEN when people came at him in a submissive lets cooperate way. Even when he could make the calls- he wouldnt cooperate. You would talk to him like a baby just so he understood and still get no where. Then his lieutenants would message you and they would be capable smart and effective guys. They would coordinate from under him. My point is- Good for those guys. Gods as a guild were not bad folks- there was some quality people there. Hope it works out for them. Good riddance to Derv.

2) With them gone (and due to their shear numbers)- I hope we drop down the charts. Like far. the high levels is garbage- its all forum agreements. Ring around the rosey zergs. Low tiers they actually fight.

mojojoeo on
    ironzerg wrote: »
    It's interesting to hear you guys say that about WvW...I'm on SBI with a guild of about 260 people, and interest in WvWing has dropped off to nearly non-existant in the last month.

Is that fractals? WvW fatigue? I know I have lived in the fractals.....

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular

The downside to this is our server losing a substantial number of regular wuvwuv players. The upside is the loss of a bunch of circle-jerking toolbags who don't give a flying fuck about a single other person on the planet besides themselves (individual). I know there were some good people in there, but for the most part I rolled my eyes every time I saw/heard GODS saying anything. I look forward to crushing their shit in regularly if they stay on TC.

Now that I have that out of the way, what's our matchup look like for tonight? @mojojoeo you back in as commander!? I'm actually planning to be home earlier than normal so I should be able to pop in a group and begin the crush-inating immediately.

I -should- be around tonight.

REG Rysk wrote: »

The downside to this is our server losing a substantial number of regular wuvwuv players. The upside is the loss of a bunch of circle-jerking toolbags who don't give a flying fuck about a single other person on the planet besides themselves (individual). I know there were some good people in there, but for the most part I rolled my eyes every time I saw/heard GODS saying anything. I look forward to crushing their shit in regularly if they stay on TC.

Now that I have that out of the way, what's our matchup look like for tonight? @mojojoeo you back in as commander!? I'm actually planning to be home earlier than normal so I should be able to pop in a group and begin the crush-inating immediately.

Looks like we're fighting the exact same matchup again.

I say we focus TC to see if we can run into any [GODS] transferers.

I FIND YOUR ANSWER TO BE INSUFFICIENT. RYSK MODE HAS BEEN ENGAGED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Never change, Rysk.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited November 2012

Looks like we're fighting the exact same matchup again.

I say we focus TC to see if we can run into any [GODS] transferers.

I love this so much.
    I FIND YOUR ANSWER TO BE INSUFFICIENT. RYSK MODE HAS BEEN ENGAGED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

I mean most likely should.

edit - the match up thread drama over gods is hilarious.

mojojoeo on
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    Well, my friday nights have been occupied for the past month or so, but I do hope that people are still wuving when I finally have one free

ANSWER STILL INSUFFICIENT.

WE SHALL FIGHT AND SEE OUR ENEMIES DRIVEN BEFORE US.

PILLAGE.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I think I kind of burned out rushing my mesmer to 80 and hitting the gearing up/run around cursed shores getting killed/collect karma until you bleed out the nipples wall. Took a month or so break, and I think it might be fun to try out a lowbie Engineer. I hope I kept some spare cash on Aneurysmist; it's probably fun to level and alt with a few gold in their pockets.

I didn't really get the big upside to the non-subscription model of this game until just now. =P

edited November 2012
    Fine rysk.

they should prepare their women- there will be LAMENTATIONS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

get hype.

Blood for the blood god, yall.

wheres my Punchdance at? is he rocking this out also? I'm joey 3 slots ascended and he's johnny legendary- the buddy commander-cop movie you never wanted to see.

mojojoeo on
  • VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I feel like the progression in WvW is just... pitiably slow. I can get better karma/gold almost anywhere else. So the only real wvw progression is the badges - but I am irritated at how badges don't show up in your inventory and you have to go back to where the fight was and pick up all your bags at the end of it. Given that I most enjoy mobile small skirmishes, this works extremely poorly.

I think I get something like 3 badges every 50 kills or some such nonsense. And of course if you down someone 1v1 they just log out before you can kill them.

Between mad king thorn and fractals there has also been a lot of 'new' content that has been fun for me. wvwv is fun if you are actually fighting people, but it's not really new. And people have already described that the way people are 'fighting' wuvwuv is usually just circle flipping objectives for exp/karma/gold. WAR had this same problem.

I did have fun last night though: went into the Yaks borderlands. There was a mindless zerg trying to atuo attack down redbriar which was stuffed full of yakkies, but a small group of PTX and stuff were hiding out near the bridge and ambushing yak reinforcements running over to the big orange crossed swords. I joined them and that was quite enjoyable. I've decided for guardian you pretty much have to equip scepter for pvp. I like to pair it with torch for some decent aoe at close ranges should that become appropriate. I also equip retreat, signet of justice (the knockdown one) and often use the staff in my other hand for putting up the wall. This is a pretty useful setup for trying to stop runners/block reinforcers. ESPECIALLY at the tunnel at redbriar, because your staff wall can completely seal off both the redbriar tunnel and the bridge next to it.

I do wish scepter had a little longer range though. I feel like I can't do anything when it's just a bunch of dudes taking potshots at other dudes on walls.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Fine rysk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGOQ7SsJrw

get hype.

Blood for the blood god, yall. wheres my Punchdance at? is he rocking this out also?

Fixed your youtube link.

• KiasKias Registered User regular
    Hey, so, I never played GW 1. And I am getting that MMO itch. And I am about to be wrapping up the semester, giving me plenty of free time.

So, should I be playing this? That OP looks excellent. Is the game as excellent as the OP? Is the open world combat actually a thing that works? DaoC was probably my fav MMO of all time, and the idea of three servers going at it makes me excited. In my pants. But Warhammer broke my heart and so I am still bitter and suspicious. Will GW 2 break my heart?

steam_sig.png

Fine rysk.

get hype.

wheres my Punchdance at? is he rocking this out also? I'm joey 3 slots ascended and he's johnny legendary- the buddy commander-cop movie you never wanted to see.

I'm sure he'll be around. He's been running with ULTD lately, being PART OF THE PROBLEM! ;)

Fine rysk.

get hype.

I'm sure he'll be around. He's been running with ULTD lately, being PART OF THE PROBLEM! ;)

well our nightly crew is smallish to not happening. Too many fractals. I think that should change shortly tho.

This discussion has been closed.