As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Debt Collector : Fighting Invalid Collection

RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
CN: Debt Collector is attempting to get an invalid collection from me. Story below

Two years ago, I took a trip to maryland with the family. I hit a total of 3 ez-pass tolls, 1 on the way down, and 2 comming back up (one is valid only while traveling north, and the 2nd was the original toll in the opposite direction)

Apparently, all the ezpass locations could not match my tag to my plate # .. so i got 3 notices.

One was for the single toll
One was for the toll going down, telling me I used an ezpass lane with no tag, and to just pay the toll.
The other was for the same toll coming back, telling me I used my one 'grace' violation, and to pay the toll + $25 fee.

I called the single MD toll, and resolved it over the phone, by giving them my tag number

The PA toll required me to fill out the form on the back with my tag info.. which I did.

They then sent it back stating that I need to provide proof that I had a valid ezpass tag at the time. So I sent back all the information, along with my billing records showing that BEFORE the toll in question, I had plenty of money on the device, and proof I haven't used it all up (showed my toll usage history)

They then sent THAT back with the same generic 'need proof' info.

I sent it all back again, along with a typed letter explaining with highlights and notes exactly what information I am giving *from their own ezpass account system* and that if someone actually took the time to read the letter, they could see it all in front of them. And to call me if there was still a problem.

Fast Forward to today, where I get a debt collection notice for $52 .. which I assume is the $25 fine x2, plus the toll amount $2. I would love to call the collection agency and tell them the whole thing is invalid, but the $2 is still technically owed by me i guess, as they never took it from my ezpass account. The 2 fines are bogus due to the fact i have (and had) a valid ezpass account.

My question: How can I resolve this to my advantage? I could obviously pay the full amount, but I refuse to pay for anonymous computer stupidity, as well as acknowledge i have a debt..

What should I write to the agency to explain this to them, and to more importantly, clear it from any credit report it may appear on.

sig_civwar.jpg
Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
RoundBoy on

• Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sir, the problem seems to be that you're inititating only written contact. I would suggest getting a human on the phone, since it is quite easy to dismiss a letter, but not quite so easy when someone is having a conversation with you.

I realize you've taken great pains to provide them with all the requested information, but minimum wage Sally may not give a crap, if she sorts the mail. As for your credit report, you can obtain a free credit report from here.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    definitly call. and continue calling back until you get it handled to your satisfaction.

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    www.consumerist.com

They should have some very helpful articles. If the article advice doesn't work then IM/email them with your story of woe and shine light on PA's shitty use of EZPass system.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Question: Why would ezpass care anymore if i call them? They apparently washed their hands of it to a debt collector..

Do they even have any sway over it anymore ? Is there any point in dealing with them?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Switching the purpose of the thread:

can anyone link me or provide me with good example letters to send to this collection agency? I obviously wish to express that i have no intention of paying this debt, as its invalid... but how to do it in such a way that will not ding my CC report or make it seem I am just skipping out for the hell of it ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg