As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fox vs. CNN

NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I read both CNN.com and Fox.com and watch both stations--it's just part of my routine with trying to get as much news possible from as many sources as possible.

Over the last 48 hours, I've noticed a huge difference in the headlines for the two sites.
Current CNN.com headline:

Outed Operative blames White House, State Officials
Valerie Plame Wilson, the CIA operative at the heart of a political scandal, told a congressional hearing today that senior officials at the White House and State Department "carelessly and recklessly" blew her cover to discredit her diplomat-husband.

Current Foxnews.com headlines:

School Bus Terror Alert
'Extremists could be driving your kids to school'
FBI warns local police that members of extremist groups have signed up as school bus drivers across America

Anna Nicole's Medicine Chest
FOX 411 Exclusive By Roger Friedman: Fax may shed some light on the still mysterious death of ex-Playmate Anna Nicole Smith

Oh No, (Hic) Not (Hic) Again!
15-year-old from Florida who had hiccups for 5 weeks before they stopped starts up again after returning to school

99% of the time, the two sites have the same headline news, or they're pretty damn close. The last 48 hours or so, with the Gonzales and Rove emails and Plame stating that the White House itself intentionally blew her cover, Fox has gone pretty fucking mum.

So, I guess what I'm getting at here... now that "Fair and Balanced" is kicking up Anna Nicole news towards the top of their page amid the Walter Reed fiasco and the U.S. attorney firings SNAFU, does anyone think the Bush apologists might actually be getting nervous--for real this time--about the fact that this administration might actually be a bunch of fucking incompetent morons who have acted unethically, immorally and might have even broken a law or two along the way? Or will this all be another case of things getting swept under the rug and we continue with business as usual? (usual being, Bush & Co. look stupid, but nothing really comes of it other than a good Stewart/Maher/Colbert rant).

Thoughts?

REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
Ng Security Industries, Inc.
PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
-ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
NexusSix on

• Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This just in: Fox News neither balanced nor fair.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's because Fox News is the scum of the Earth, or at least the worst media machine in existence.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »
    does anyone think the Bush apologists might actually be getting nervous--for real this time--about the fact that this administration might actually be a bunch of fucking incompetent morons who have acted unethically, immorally and might have even broken a law or two along the way?

That describes Fox as accurately as Bush & Co.

I actually miss not getting Fox anymore - Bill O'Reilly cracks me up.

edit: watch OUTFOXED : Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism

Gorak on
  • Options
    MVMosinMVMosin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    That's because Fox News is the scum of the Earth, or at least the worst media machine in existence.

I don't know about scum, but I agree with "worst media machine." I go there regularly just to see what kind of crap they're calling journalism. I believe I mentioned yesterday, (or maybe the day before) that their "BREAKING NEWS" was Carmen Electra falling over. I'm presuming this is important, because, what, it was on film?

I didn't even know whom Carmen Electra was before that.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm actually getting kind of sick and tired of the not-so-veiled barbs that go back and forth between Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC.

I don't mind it so much when I see Keith Olbermann or Rick Scarborough doing it, because they're commentators, but when I see the actual anchors taking the shots, it just really rubs me the wrong way. They're supposed to be reporting the news, not mocking their competitors.

I mean, really, I expect that sort of shit from Fox, but I'd like to see a little better from CNN and MSNBC.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

So, I guess what I'm getting at here... now that "Fair and Balanced" is kicking up Anna Nicole news towards the top of their page amid the Walter Reed fiasco and the U.S. attorney firings SNAFU, does anyone think the Bush apologists might actually be getting nervous--for real this time--about the fact that this administration might actually be a bunch of fucking incompetent morons who have acted unethically, immorally and might have even broken a law or two along the way? Or will this all be another case of things getting swept under the rug and we continue with business as usual? (usual being, Bush & Co. look stupid, but nothing really comes of it other than a good Stewart/Maher/Colbert rant).

Thoughts?

My thought is you lost me when you spouted Bush apologists & Bush & Co. You seem pretty well indoctrinated into FOX News/Bush hating so you're going to be biased no matter what.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My thought is you lost me when you spouted Bush apologists & Bush & Co. You seem pretty well indoctrinated into FOX News/Bush hating so you're going to be biased no matter what.

Oh please, fox news is terrible. BBC all the way!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Thoughts?

It's easy enough to hate Bush and FOX News without any indoctrination (what a weasel word!), thank you very much.

Doc on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I find the BBC to be far too anti-western/anti establishment and snobbish sometimes. The (London) Times is where it's at.

Leitner on
  • Options
    BernardBernoulliBernardBernoulli Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Fox News is to a large degree essentially a propaganda machine - if you don't agree with that you're either a moron or you haven't seen any of it. Why should anyone pretend it's a series news organisation at all?
    SC wrote: »
    I find the BBC to be far too anti-western/anti establishment and snobbish sometimes. The (London) Times is where it's at.

A lot of people say stuff like that because they try to deal with all sides of issues, try to provide facts. They regularly don't succeed, sometimes they fail totally, but it's better than others, and I respect them for that.

They do get hassle for not following the government line or believing whatever they say, and not acting like nationalists, though

BernardBernoulli on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SC wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That's funny, because lots of other people claim it's an outlet for government propaganda. Criticism from both sides says they're doing a good job.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    NPR all the way baby

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd be fine with Fox if they didn't tout the 'Fair and Balanced' act. Some of the stuff they put on is pretty inflamatory, and borderline journalism, the report on children in Iran and Palestine comes to mind. I wonder if I can find links for it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Fox News is to a large degree essentially a propaganda machine - if you don't agree with that you're either a moron or you haven't seen any of it. Why should anyone pretend it's a series news organisation at all?

To avoid spoiling it for the handful of folks who can't puzzle it out themselves?

Gaddez on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    thebestpresident.jpg

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Thoughts?

Fox news is certainly far from great, though the link Doc posted seems to primarily use shots from Hannity and Cavuto, which only a fool would try to label news rather than political commentary.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I Remember trying to watch fox news once. We had just gotten HDTV and I was thinking to myslef: can it honestly be that bad?

The "news"... thing that they were discussing was the liklihood of submersible assault by terrorist forces.

As in, with sub marines.

I watched it for all of 2 minutes before turning it off.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If I'm going to watch cable news, it will be MSNBC.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Fox news is certainly far from great, though the link Doc posted seems to primarily use shots from Hannity and Cavuto, which only a fool would try to label news rather than political commentary.

Have you ever actually watched the channel for an extended period of time? There is no line drawn between commentary and "reporting." Even their "News" shows are heavy with opinion and often outright slander.

It's ridiculous.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    NPR all the way baby

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Doc wrote: »

It's easy enough to hate Bush and FOX News without any indoctrination (what a weasel word!), thank you very much.

What, and CBS deserves less hate too? I'm surprised there has been no mention of Dan Rather or Mary Mapes yet. Hear No Evil, See No Evil...

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fox News is an extension of the republican noise machine. It goes way beyond a conservative bias and straight into propaganda land.

geckahn on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    NPR all the way baby

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Doc wrote: »

What, and CBS deserves less hate too? I'm surprised there has been no mention of Dan Rather or Mary Mapes yet. Hear No Evil, See No Evil...

Why is it that any time you criticize Fox News, Conservatives can only counter by saying "Well CBS isn't any better" or "What about the Communist News Network?"

CBS being bad doesn't make Fox any better.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Thoughts?

Neil Cavuto is host of Your World, the number one business news show on cable.

Doc on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fox News is the equivalent of a Republican Newsletter. I believe they over inflate their importance in the "news" world.

But seriously, comparing CNN and Fox News is like comparing Professional Football with Pee-wee Football. They're both similar, they're both good at what they do, but they do not even come close to doing the same thing.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    On more than one occasion, I worked with Fox News producers and reporters. Once, in Herat, I saw one of the Foxholes approached by a couple of soldiers. One of the soldiers said he was glad they could finally talk to a "conservative" reporter. The reporter laughed and said, "Someone's got to balance out the liberals." But, later, I ran into that same reporter in Bagram. He wanted an interview with some soldiers and, when I grabbed one at random to ask if he wanted to talk to Fox News, the soldier--an Army captain--said he didn't, because, as a Democrat, he wasn't a fan of the network's politics. The reporter, shaken up, said that was ridiculous. The network had no politics, but only told the truth. "Whatever," said the captain and walked off. The reporter, after a few beats narrowed his eyes at the soldier's back and quietly hissed, motherfucker.

Just before Thanksgiving, 2004, a Fox News producer with whom I'd worked a number of times in Kabul and Bagram showed up on Bagram Air Field to shoot what military PA people call "Hi Moms"--the little snippets of video of service members saying "I'm Corporal Bill Jones from Paducah, Kentucky and I want to say 'Happy Thanksgiving' to my wife, Sheila and my parents Don and Lorraine in Louisville." I was confused about why he would be doing this. My unit--and every PA unit--shot hundreds of these every year for holidays, the Super Bowl, the Army/Navy game, etc., and provided them free of charge to all who asked for them. When I asked the producer why he had come, he said he'd had the same question when he was told that he should know better. It was "part of (his) contract," he said, to get on his knees "and give Bush a blowjob" every month or so.

http://nitpicker.blogspot.com/2007/03/dance-foxholes-dance.html

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Fox News is the equivalent of a Republican Newsletter. I believe they over inflate their importance in the "news" world.

But seriously, comparing CNN and Fox News is like comparing Professional Football with Pee-wee Football. They're both similar, they're both good at what they do, but they do not even come close to doing the same thing.

Unfortunately, I think Fox News is much more widely watched than you give it credit for.

I'm looking for Ratings right now, but I'm pretty sure a few of the Fox News shows are at the top of the News ratings.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Glaeal wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »

Unfortunately, I think Fox News is much more widely watched than you give it credit for.

I'm looking for Ratings right now, but I'm pretty sure a few of the Fox News shows are at the top of the News ratings.

Ratings are one thing, but I know many left-leaning individuals, myself included, who watch it simply for the entertainment value. I have no stats of course, but my argument is that ratings never tell the whole story.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Keith Olberman is now consistently beating Bill O'Rilley in the ratings.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    geckahn wrote: »
    Fox News is an extension of the republican noise machine. It goes way beyond a conservative bias and straight into propaganda land.

Links please :)

Anyways, I watch a little of FOX, CNN and MSNBC but I get the majority of my news from online. However I do find FOX can hold my attention longer as it has the best talent, MSNBC practically has none and CNN's is out of date. The good thing is we have choices but there are idiots out there that think we should get our news from a government controlled source, bad bad idea. If anything, FOX keeps it competitive.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Current Foxnews.com headlines:

School Bus Terror Alert
    'Extremists could be driving your kids to school'
    FBI warns local police that members of extremist groups have signed up as school bus drivers across America

This is such a great headline.

Elendil on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Honestly, I don't see that lineup of headlines as indicative of a Republican slant so much as a sensationalist slant. What do you think the average, politically-ignorant citizen cares about more? A 4 year old story about an "outed" CIA analyst, or a story about some big-tittied ex-Playmate? The stories have that edge to them.

"ZOMG TERRORISTS!"

"ZOMG ANNA NICOLE CONSPIRACY!"

And then there's the token tale of the bizarre:

"ZOMG HICCUPS FOR A ZILLION DAYS!"

Fox News isn't really a right-wing publication so much as a shitty tabloid as far as their actual news goes. It has a Republican tinge to it, but I think that's largely incidental to their real goal of just being titillating. The reason it seems to come off as more right-slanted than it otherwise might, I think, is because most of the serious news consists of Bush scandals, and has for the past several years.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The good thing is we have choices but there are idiots out there that think we should get our news from a government controlled source, bad bad idea. If anything, FOX keeps it competitive.

You're so cute.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Anyways, I watch a little of FOX, CNN and MSNBC but I get the majority of my news from online. However I do find FOX can hold my attention longer as it has the best talent, MSNBC practically has none and CNN's is out of date. The good thing is we have choices but there are idiots out there that think we should get our news from a government controlled source, bad bad idea. If anything, FOX keeps it competitive.

You understand that "government controlled" is different than "government funded," right?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't see that lineup of headlines as indicative of a Republican slant so much as a sensationalist slant. What do you think the average, politically-ignorant citizen cares about more? A 4 year old story about an "outed" CIA analyst, or a story about some big-tittied ex-Playmate? The stories have that edge to them.

"ZOMG TERRORISTS!"

"ZOMG ANNA NICOLE CONSPIRACY!"

And then there's the token tale of the bizarre:

"ZOMG HICCUPS FOR A ZILLION DAYS!"

Fox News isn't really a right-wing publication so much as a shitty tabloid as far as their actual news goes. It has a Republican tinge to it, but I think that's largely incidental to their real goal of just being titillating. The reason it seems to come off as more right-slanted than it otherwise might, I think, is because most of the serious news consists of Bush scandals, and has for the past several years.

One could also argue their spin comes from their over-abundance of right leaning talking heads as opposed to those who lean left. The only left leaning one is Colmes, who I believe was libertarian before coming on that show, and the fairly centrist Greta Van Sunstren (spelling error, I know).

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/default.asp

Fox News has the highest ratings of any Cable News channel right now.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

So you care more about entertainment value than quality then? Not tha msot of MSNBC's and CNN's stuff is terribly great but FOX's biggest goal has been to be "NEWS TO THE MAX!" wit it's glitzy production values and slick looking sets.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Glaeal wrote: »
    http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/ratings/default.asp

Fox News has the highest ratings of any Cable News channel right now.

Youch... and O'Rilley is handily kicking Olberman's butt...

I stand corrected.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote: