Options

Unexpected System Shutdowns during Games

MelokuMeloku Ask me about my IllusionsRegistered User regular
So, I've built a computer about a year ago, and it's been great until a couple of weeks ago, when I started getting system shutdowns in the middle of games. These shutdowns have no blue screen, and consist pretty much of the entire machine powering off and immediately powering back on (and I've ensured that blue screens aren't masked). Originally, I expected something was wrong with one of my sticks of ram, but I've ran both memtest86 and whatever one is included with windows, and they both pass; then expected the video card, but memtestCL (from Folding@Home) didn't find any errors.

I've also run FurMark at ~98%+ GPU capacity for four hours earlier today, and I'm currently running Prime95, but since I'm not OCing anything at the moment, I doubt it'll demonstrate a problem (or at the very least, my setup hasn't changed to potentially more unstable within the last few months).

Temps are all (and have all been) normal (CPU not above 60 C, GPU not above 80 C when maxing out), and I blew out my CPU and GPU heat sinks earlier, so I don't think it's a heat issue

My current belief is that it's probably a power supply issue; ASUS probe marks my rails as follows:
Vcore: 1.200 V (running Prime95, so that's maxing out), 12V as 12.000V (though I saw it dip slightly below, to 11.9ishV), 5V as 5.000V, and 3.3V as 3.312V; SpeedFan and PCWizard report my 12V as 6.6V (roughly), but I'm not sure if I should trust them over the manufacturer's tools.

Any suggestions?

System Specs:
MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100312-2SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W (an older model, from about a year ago when this model was 80 PLUS Silver
Memory: G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Meloku on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Certainly does sound like a PSU issue but unfortunately I can't think up much to try other than swapping parts.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Contact Corsair support, it is probably under warranty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CritterCritter Semi-good lookin' Registered User regular
    I was having similar issues a few months ago and (after placing unwarranted blame on my long-suffering PSU) traced them to the motherboard. It's worth looking into since your tester measurements are fine (don't trust the software maaaaaan.)

• Options
    MelokuMeloku Ask me about my Illusions Registered User regular
    So it seems as though this could be an issue somewhere with DirectX games - I can run FurMark (which is openGL) using my GPU at 100%, alongside prime95 for 7+ hours with no instability or errors; I can't, however, run 5 minutes of BF3 without a system reset.

Any ideas?

• Options
    DBReedDBReed Registered User regular
    Critter wrote: »
    I was having similar issues a few months ago and (after placing unwarranted blame on my long-suffering PSU) traced them to the motherboard. It's worth looking into since your tester measurements are fine (don't trust the software maaaaaan.)

How did you end up tracing it to the motherboard? I ask because I've been having a similar problem to the OP. I just RMAed my PSU to Corsair, and I'm really hoping that fixes the problem because it's driving me crazy.