Options

Wait what? [Sketch Dump, NSFW]

PoundfoolPoundfool Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Artist's Corner
I'm recently back from a way too long (5 months!) break from all things creative, and now I really want to dive in to improving my drawings and paintings. I've always liked scoping out the Artist's corner here and watching people progress, so I figured I would make my own thread and push myself to update it frequently.
I really like doing portraits and practicing human anatomy. Also, even though I'm not really a fan of the macabre or abstract, both have been coming out in my drawing lately. So fair warning: there will be nudies, monsters, and maybe some puppies to balance things out.

The whole purpose of this is to help me learn and so the harshest and coldest critiques are welcome at any time.
Whelp, I'm just going to start things off with some recent sketches!

eCaAj.jpg
x1cXC.jpg
qc53g.jpg
B7ZnM.jpg
rUP0y.jpg

Poundfool on

• Options
    Comedy RefluxComedy Reflux Web creator FlandersRegistered User regular
    The last one is eerie, implies motion and atmosphere, a great job I think. The fourth one however, I needed to study too long before I can make out anything (the back of a person maybe?). It's harder to know what you're trying to invoke with it. Depending on what you're trying to make the viewer/reader experience you might want to give some more visual hints in that one. My two cents anyway.

Banner_2.jpg
    Back after a three year hiatus!
  • Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    The last one is some super great abstraction.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments. Yeah the final one there is definitely my favorite recent work. It was a non-reference anatomy practice that turned into one of those things were you feel like you are doing more exploring than drawing.
    Here's a couple more sketches I just did. My profile pic, and a goofy looking bull that I experimented on by really focusing on line quality and rhythm.
    yQh1X.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Do you have any work that you consider finished? I like the sketches, there are some nice things happening in each of them. Its hard to see what you are pushing yourself to, though, with just these. Do you have any influences, or any long term goals?

• Options
    My art is really, really unfocused -- so I don't have much 'finished work'. I also don't have a lot of confidence, so it's hard for me to set a long term goal that I feel is achievable, especially something job-wise with how competitive the market is. I basically just sit down, start drawing from imagination, experimenting here and there, and then end it where I think it looks best as I can bring it.

I know I really need to bring some cohesion to my art practices and drawings themselves. Updating a post like this regularly is the first step in that.

As far as influences go, I really like the loose style of Yoshitaka Amano's paintings, line quality stuff like fashion design drawing and figure studies, and big blocky design styled art like Olly Moss's stuff.

Anyways, here's tonight's jazz.
    j4vnI.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Was busy last night, so I only managed another quick little character head shot.
    OeoRR.jpg
    I'm trying to get away from line work and aim for a more painterly style, but I'm having the hardest time. Everything from colors to brush settings is frustrating the hell out of me. So hard to get away from lines and just paint in blocks and refine later. Something is wrong with me.
    HyUQK.jpg

Poundfool on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    The bull you drew is very, very sexy if you imagine that in that picture is actually laying down and posing for the picture.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen