As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics? You have webcomics offline? // Yep. We call them "offline webcomics." I buy them.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    So QC is anime?

VRXwDW7.png
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular

Spectre-x wrote: »
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    as someone with acne I don't understand why Marigold's spots are always in the same place

there doesn't seem to be any benefit to keeping them uniform since drawing spots on the face randomly probably takes less time than remembering where they are

idgi

Copy-paste body parts.

For all of its flaws I don't think QC suffers from that particular affliction

Algeya is sayn' what I mean. I just find it hard to believe he's actually drawing them like that over and over. Like, I would be more disappointed if that's what was going on.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • algeyaalgeya Registered User regular
    before I leave whatever we say it doesnt matter that guy gets like a half million page views each day so probably the comic will never change

I forgot
    pvp20121029.jpg
    lets hope when Jade mmorpg is not pregnant like certain animesque/dating sims/pencil draw webcomic

as someone with acne I don't understand why Marigold's spots are always in the same place

there doesn't seem to be any benefit to keeping them uniform since drawing spots on the face randomly probably takes less time than remembering where they are

idgi

Copy-paste body parts.

Algeya is sayn' what I mean. I just find it hard to believe he's actually drawing them like that over and over. Like, I would be more disappointed if that's what was going on.

there is a page in the making comics book that in your characters must keep more or less in model (one thing is drawing evolution but at least you should recognize them after 1000 pages)

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Berk wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Anybodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    fiiiiiiiind meeeeeee

soooooomebooooody to looOOOoooooOOOoooove

Aye

yeah-6.gif

:x

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I sometimes wonder if something like QC's update schedule actually does hamper JJ's growth as an artist. Five pages a week of a fairly substantial size are probably going to necessitate a little bit of an assembly line process. And I think you can chalk up similar looking characters and facial expressions and the like to that.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i thought those were just moles on her face and not acne

EzUAYcn.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if something like QC's update schedule actually does hamper JJ's growth as an artist. Five pages a week of a fairly substantial size are probably going to necessitate a little bit of an assembly line process. And I think you can chalk up similar looking characters and facial expressions and the like to that.

if that's true, and the logic scales, then the next page of Reign In Hell will be amazing

• alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    algeya wrote: »

idgi

Copy-paste body parts.

there is a page in the making comics book that in your characters must keep more or less in model (one thing is drawing evolution but at least you should recognize them after 1000 pages)

I understand keeping characters recognizable, but I'm more talking about how his style could be replicated by copy-pasting, and it would look just the same with magnitudes less work.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    god stop talking about marigolds plukes stop being so fooking tsundere

sig-1.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Totally agree with @alternating aberration

algeya on
    Berk wrote: »
    god stop talking about marigolds plukes stop being so fooking tsundere
    Actually Im a tsukuyomi not like you care

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Frankly, you could replicate most of QC characters' standard appearances in Photoshop, using a mouse to draw, in about 10 minutes. I don't want to think about the possibility that JJ spends more time than that on them using a tablet.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    algeya wrote: »
    before I leave whatever we say it doesnt matter that guy gets like a half million page views each day so probably the comic will never change

I forgot
    pvp20121029.jpg
    lets hope when Jade mmorpg is not pregnant like certain animesque/dating sims/pencil draw webcomic

QC has actually changed enormously when it comes to the art. JJ is trying to improve, he's just not doing a very good job of it most of the time.

idgi

Copy-paste body parts.

this is preposterous. Tracing and lazy recycling is way worse than just not being super good at drawing.
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Frankly, you could replicate most of QC characters' standard appearances in Photoshop, using a mouse to draw, in about 10 minutes. I don't want to think about the possibility that JJ spends more time than that on them using a tablet.

this is also ridiculous and man it's kind of annoying how much people complain about JJ and QC. I mean, by all means do complain because there is certainly a lot to complain about, but at least try and come up with complaints that make sense and don't immediately assume the worst on the part of the creator simply because you don't really enjoy his work.

If you look at QC through the years you'll notice that the art has changed dramatically, largely for the better. JJ's current stagnation or rut when it comes to his style is unfortunate and he could certainly stand to try and mix things up a bit more but to instantly assume that his limited range of faces and bodies means that he's copy-pasting or that he might as well be copy-pasting even though, if you take any time to look at the comic, it's clear that this is not the case at all, well

that's just poor form, I think.

JJ might not be the best guy but he is not Tim Buckley.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    ...what's with the corn?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KTB3t1t7dk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAO8Zmv4ag
    You probably could have lived without that information.
    At least he puts more effort into his comics than Randall Munroe...

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I actually agree with spex

oh god what's happening to meeeeeeeeeeeee

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Holy fuck, I didn't even know "marigold" and "faye" were different characters, and I've been following this thread for like a year

I feel like this knowledge has somehow made me worse off as a human being, like learning the name of Satan in his own black language

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

this is also ridiculous and man it's kind of annoying how much people complain about JJ and QC. I mean, by all means do complain because there is certainly a lot to complain about, but at least try and come up with complaints that make sense and don't immediately assume the worst on the part of the creator simply because you don't really enjoy his work.

If you look at QC through the years you'll notice that the art has changed dramatically, largely for the better. JJ's current stagnation or rut when it comes to his style is unfortunate and he could certainly stand to try and mix things up a bit more but to instantly assume that his limited range of faces and bodies means that he's copy-pasting or that he might as well be copy-pasting even though, if you take any time to look at the comic, it's clear that this is not the case at all, well

that's just poor form, I think.

JJ might not be the best guy but he is not Tim Buckley.
    That's true.

It would probably take more like 30 to do Buckley's characters nowadays. He actually varies poses and perspective.

Compare the most recent CAD to the most recent QC.
    cad-20121029-64214.png
    2307.png

Buckley's art is actually better nowadays than JJ's, even if he's a creep with narcissistic storylines and his faces are still dogshit.

I disagree. And anyway, that particular QC actually has some pretty expressive body language.

edited October 2012
    I disagree. And anyway, that particular QC actually has some pretty expressive body language.
    I find that amusing, considering that you described similar body language in MegaTokyo as "pretty basic, static anime stuff".

(though I'm not condemning JJ's body language; it's fine, though at times it would benefit heavily from stopping Greenscreening his comic, and putting some props into his foreground).

Bethryn on
    edited October 2012
    Not really. The MegaTokyo stuff I was referring to were all pretty much stock poses and this QC actually has fairly natural body language. Exaggerated here and there, sure, but in a way that shows the artist figured out how to do it themselves rather than from a bunch of japanese anime. This particular QC doesn't look static at all.

I agree he should try and mix things up more, but I much prefer QC's kinda sitcom set-up with reasonably natural poses over CAD's former mannequins and its current goofy, incompetently proportioned Supermarionation-gone-bad look.

Just because Tim Buckley does things JJ doesn't doesn't mean that he's automatically better, which he is not, on any level except maybe one level that gets lost in the maelstrom of shit that is the rest of his work anyway.

Spectre-x on
    edited October 2012
    That's interesting, since the body language was in both cases girls acting ashamedly, and isn't all that dissimilar.
    1287.gif
    2307.png

The fourth panel of MT is unrealistic anime bollocks, sure, but the rest of it? Also, the third panel of QC is probably the best of them; I think if JJ started putting his characters in environments rather than in front of them, he'd be able to make much better use of them for emphasising body language.
    Just because Tim Buckley does things JJ doesn't doesn't mean that he's automatically better, which he is not, on any level except maybe one level that gets lost in the maelstrom of shit that is the rest of his work anyway.
    It shows he's capable of doing those things, and not half-assing them. JJ's tried them, and hasn't yet gotten good at them.

Also, I vastly prefer Buckley's shaded, semi-textured hand-drawn backgrounds to JJ's unshaded line-tooled ones.

Bethryn on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    what level is that

I think it helps in the QC that I can actually see her body language as opposed to the Megatokyo stuff where she's mostly a talking head and shoulders and the stuff that is actually noticeable is garbage anime nonsense. Still, from what I can tell I think the body language in that QC looks more natural than in Megatokyo.

And let's not evn get started on the fucking faces in Megatokyo which, even at their best can't beat QC at its worst in terms of expressiveness and readability.

Anyway, these things still don't make fucking Ctrl-alt-del better than QC in any way except the way how Buckley sometimes tries to pose his characters.

Seriously wrote: »
    what level is that

some of his poses, sometimes

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Ctrl-alt-del's art and colors hurt my head less than QC. QC's writing is better.

-$0.02

I think it helps in the QC that I can actually see her body language as opposed to the Megatokyo stuff where she's mostly a talking head and shoulders and the stuff that is actually noticeable is garbage anime nonsense. Still, from what I can tell I think the body language in that QC looks more natural than in Megatokyo.
    bLuHO.png

So what you're really saying here is that Marigold is more expressive because you can see her cleavage.

Unless you're seriously arguing the belly and legs are adding a lot to the body language in today's QC. ;)

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Didn't JJ say in one of his blog posts that he purposefully doesn't try to improve his art because he's afraid a change in style would potentially alienate some of his fans? Maybe 'alienate' is the wrong word, but I remember it was something along those lines.

This was quite a while ago so I could be completely misremembering.

vEaRQgH.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    2012-10-30-252.png

aTBDrQE.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Jeph Jacques knows a lot more about how clothing and hair and anatomy works than Tim Buckley and he's a lot better at shading people, too. Plus, Buckley might try new things with his poses or whatever, but he tries new things by posing characters in ways that actually need more realistic designs so his characters end up looking really out of place. Kind of like how in some of the newer Sonic games Sonic is always interacting with regular people for some reason and the ridiculous cartoony Sonic style and the more realistic regular person style don't fucking mesh at all and everything ends up looking ridiculous and awful.

So I take back what I said about Bucklet's posing. It MIGHT be better if he actually tried to improve across the board and changed his character designs to work better with the kind of body language he's going for but nope.

Spectre-x on
    Jeph Jacques knows a lot more about how clothing and hair and anatomy works than Tim Buckley and he's a lot better at shading people, too. Plus, Buckley might try new things with his poses or whatever, but he tries new things by posing characters in ways that actually need more realistic designs so his characters end up looking really out of place. Kind of like how in some of the newer Sonic games Sonic is always interacting with regular people for some reason and the ridiculous cartoony Sonic style and the more realistic regular person style don't fucking mesh at all and everything ends up looking ridiculous and awful.

So I take back what I said about Bucklet's posing. It MIGHT be better if he actually tried to improve across the board and changed his character designs to work better with the kind of body language he's going for but nope.

Could you please post examples, I understand the words but I can't quite hear the message.

Jeph Jacques knows a lot more about how clothing and hair and anatomy works than Tim Buckley and he's a lot better at shading people, too.
    Man, Spex, I'm sorry, but you just keep saying these things and I cannot help myself.

yiaND.png

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    This bland porridge is slightly better than that bland porridge, because this bland porridge has two grains of sugar in it.

Jeph Jacques knows a lot more about how clothing and hair and anatomy works than Tim Buckley and he's a lot better at shading people, too.
    Man, Spex, I'm sorry, but you just keep saying these things and I cannot help myself.

yiaND.png

better than the unmoving solid mass that is Ethan's wax hair helmet.

better than the unmoving solid mass that is Ethan's wax hair helmet.
    I would say they're equally crap, personally.

One hair looks like a solid helmet.

Another hair looks like a paper-cutout whose depth relies on a crappy texture.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1

Could you please post examples, I understand the words but I can't quite hear the message.

Look at that CAD Bethryn posted. A basic four-fingered cartoon hand looks silly holding a reasonably detailed gun, especially up close like that with that kind of composition. It's almost impossible to take seriously. He threw in a bunch of elements to make the shot interesting, like it might be interesting in a movie or a comic by someone with infinitely superior skill, but then he doesn't take out the elements that don't make that shot work, like how goofy and cartoony everything looks. Something like that might still work if there's a reason for things to look like that, like, say, the designs have some actual significance so the artist is also going for contrast of some sort, but Buckley doesn't know the meaning of the word so the designs are just an unwieldy holdover from his comic's beginning, and they actively work against the things he's trying to do with composition and so on.

Cartoony designs like that aren't meant to be seen up close like that. It's weird.

Everyone's clothes are shaded the exact same way, and it's not a way that makes them look anything like cloth of any kind.

edited October 2012

Marten's hair isn't good, but it is better than Ethan's. It's not done particularly well, but there is some depth to it and it looks a lot more like actual hair, instead of a solid, semi-transparent-yet-strangely-shiny mass that moves in the exact opposite way how a haircut like that would actually move.

Spectre-x on

Look at that CAD Bethryn posted. A basic four-fingered cartoon hand looks silly holding a reasonably detailed gun, especially up close like that with that kind of composition. It's almost impossible to take seriously. He threw in a bunch of elements to make the shot interesting, like it might be interesting in a movie or a comic by someone with infinitely superior skill, but then he doesn't take out the elements that don't make that shot work, like how goofy and cartoony everything looks. Something like that might still work if there's a reason for things to look like that, like, say, the designs have some actual significance so the artist is also going for contrast of some sort, but Buckley doesn't know the meaning of the word so the designs are just an unwieldy holdover from his comic's beginning, and they actively work against the things he's trying to do with composition and so on.

Cartoony designs like that aren't meant to be seen up close like that. It's weird.

Everyone's clothes are shaded the exact same way, and it's not a way that makes them look anything like cloth of any kind.

You make good points and if Buc took your advice, he would be a better artist.

Marten's hair isn't good, but it is better than Ethan's. It's not done particularly well, but there is some depth to it and it looks a lot more like actual hair, instead of a solid, semi-transparent-yet-strangely-shiny mass that moves in the exact opposite way how a haircut like that would actually move.

Totally looks like a scribble, you crazay!

This is an odd criticism to make of webcomics, because the only - the only - webcomic I've seen that puts the effort in to make clothes look like clothing is Lackadaisy, and we know what schedule that requires.

This discussion has been closed.