As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    The news that it's an FPS RPG has really damped my hype on this. It's really not a playstyle I've enjoyed, historically. In RPG's I want to be able to see my character, my gear, the customisation. Everything else looks and sounds incredible.

Apparently, there is a very seamless change to third person in conversations and such, plus some of your outfit and implants directly influence the HUD and game world.
    They also want the game to be playable to people who don't enjoy fps twitch play, so that's something! There's a whole weapon class to support that, smart weapons

Fuck it, I'm all in.

If any developer have earned the benefit of the doubt, it's CDPR.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    While the trailer does not give us all that much to judge by (or the original teaser for that matter).
    I don't think the concern is completely stupid.

It's not. It doesn't mean the charges are completely justified and unassailable either. This particular accusation is relying on quite a few assumptions (which...is pretty normal for a game in developmetn, experience tells us), and may not really hold up scrutiny, but it doesn't mean than the game isn't capable of other things.

The Witcher as a franchise has its share (probably more than its share) of exploitative moments. It doesn't mean The Witcher 3 isn't an outstanding game. I'd also argue that, you know, exploitation of a lascivious or sexual nature isn't automatically the worse form of pandering, though it may be shown to be, or the only one. If Cyberpunk 2077 lets you explode someones' brain in slow motion and count the individual chunks of bloody matter, how many people are going to complain? Some though not many, we'll dismiss them as quacks, and if they keep complaining someone will inevitably threaten them with violence about merely daring to take away their violent. That's how that plays out. And while gratuitous violence doesn't even register for most of us at this point, it's pretty easy for even "well-meaning" games to fall into the trap of pandering towards, most obviously, a male gaze. Whether something is exploitative, pandering, or brilliantly satirical is not scientifically calculable beyond debate (come to think of it, so are quite a few things measured in science).

As is almost always the case, wait and see. Even if the game is particularly pandering (and it might not be), it could still be a phenomenal experience in spite of it. Personally I'm more worried about it meeting particularly lofty expectations set by industry hype than if it turns out to be too exploitative, which is something that can ultimately be dialed back (and there's pretty strong evidence suggesting you'll be able to play it as an unnecessarily-over-the-top gorefest if you so choose).

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Gork wrote: »
    I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, since this game already sounds amazing and they are more than capable, but I can’t think of a game that has had fun and satisfying first person melee combat. Yet.

Dying Light?

Oh man, I forgot how satisfying that combat (hell, that whole game, really) was.

I'd also throw Vermintide 2 in that mix. I've never hit a giant rat with a hammer in real life, but I imagine it'd be pretty close to how it feels when I do it in that game.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, since this game already sounds amazing and they are more than capable, but I can’t think of a game that has had fun and satisfying first person melee combat. Yet.

dark messiah of might and KICKING

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    While I'm glad they're giving us a character creator, I know we are all going to basically recreate Hiro Protagonist so I wonder why they even bother giving us the creator.

I'll be making Molly Millions, thank you very much.

I'll be making John Wick.

I gotta be Case, omae. Hack all the things.

If we can vary our protagonists age it would be fun to make Fastjack.

"7 decades old and I still have to deal with children. I wrote this program myself, Whelp."

He's dead. Some 4E/5E nanovirus got em IIRC. Made him nutso.

Fastjack is still around, but yes, he's suffering from CFD (cognitive fragmentation disorder) from what he had to do with Horizon's worm/virus/plot device fucking up JackPoint.

Think of CFD as an electronic version of demonic possession. Its a super nanovirus that slowly rewrites and take over your mind and body resulting in split personalities and autonomous behavior for starters. Its hard to pin down because CFD manifests in so mamy different ways that are basically up to the game makers wishes.

Its been a couple years since release, but that was Boston's problem in Lockdown. CFD infected dragon broke out of a NeoNet lab and infected the boston area. Now you have computer zombies running around.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    That demo was pretty okay I guess

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/13/cyberpunk-2077-preview-game-next-generation-7627025/
    Cyberpunk 2077 may be the best video game ever made. That may seem like a meaningless statement considering it’s nowhere near release yet, but what we saw of the game at E3 is probably the single most impressive preview we’ve ever been witness to.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Dying Light?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    for the most part, some npc's were bit overtuned, but the mechanics were great.

Elder Scrolls Morrowind as well

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    My favorite character of the genre is Batou. So if I can make a big brute of a man with cyber eyes and a blonde crew cut I will be happy.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Oh spaghetti lord in heaven give it to me now
    This is the first proper look we get at the city, a mixture between Blade Runner’s L.A., New York City from The Fifth Element, and Star Wars’ Coruscant. It’s stunning, not just in terms of size and detail but the number of ordinary people wandering around, all apparently with their own identity and purpose.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Cyberpunk 2077 (@CyberpunkGame);
    You are V, a cyberpunk. In a world of cyberenhanced street warriors, tech-savvy netrunners and corporate life-hackers, today is your first step to becoming an urban legend. #Cyberpunk2077

I would like to own V's jacket.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuck I need this game nao

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This is slated to hit consoles too, right?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    This is slated to hit consoles too, right?

Since the big reveal trailer premiered during the Microsoft conference I would assume it'll at least be on one of them.

Considering Witcher 3 is on PS4 and Xbone it's probably a safe bet it'd be on PS4 as well.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

*record scratch*

... what?

Where's Koopah's avatar when you need it?

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    The game's website has all the normal logos at the bottom. So yeah.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    You are V, a cyberpunk. In a world of cyberenhanced street warriors, tech-savvy netrunners and corporate life-hackers, today is your first step to becoming an urban legend. #Cyberpunk2077

I mean we are living in a corporate dystopia already anyways, might as well look cool

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018

I mean we are living in a corporate dystopia already anyways, might as well look cool

Hah, apparently along side typical RPG stats your character also has a "Cool" stat.

Axen on
  • Options
    Good, good.

Cyberpunk sounds a lot bigger than even the current gen consoles can handle, was starting to worry a bit! What are the odds it releases next year?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Good, good.

Cyberpunk sounds a lot bigger than even the current gen consoles can handle, was starting to worry a bit! What are the odds it releases next year?

Would exactly fit CDPR's release schedule of one game every 4 years, at least

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2020+ game.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Hah, apparently along side typical RPG stats your character also has a "Cool" stat.

Only way to max out your "Cool" stat is by never looking at it.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »

Every time you open the character panel and mouse over the "Cool" stat it just drops to zero.

• Options
    Max your Cool stat with this one weird trick!

Toss explosives at cars/enemies and shoot all the red barrels. Turn around and face the opposite direction of the ensuing explosions. Reach max Cool level in less than ten minutes!

• Options
    One of the biggest things they seem to want to make clear to people is that the game is first-person, but it is not a FPS. It is an RPG with FPS elements.

In one of the interviews/articles (they're all running together for me) it sounded like you could get basically VATS with the right mod(s).

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

I would like the jacket if the led panels.on the collar were on the outside. I gotta have my flare compensators running to keep the glare down at night and that results in a .2% increase in my system performance, which means more battery, which means I gotta eat another 100Kcal a day.

Im a baller in a budget, assholes, i dont have the cred to be throwing around like that when I'm trying to save up for that knew Fukushima Tacnet suite.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

Every time you open the character panel and mouse over the "Cool" stat it just drops to zero.

Maximum cool is actually the middle of the bar. Zero coolpoints or too much coolpoints and you are entering the "looking like a dickhead" status (Copyright Eddie Izzard)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I hope there are armored skin mods, and I hope you can customize the color. I want to be a shiny golden sexbot who uses seduction instead of violence to get what I want. I want to replace my human parts with better, vibrating parts.

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    I hope there are armored skin mods, and I hope you can customize the color. I want to be a shiny golden sexbot who uses seduction instead of violence to get what I want. I want to replace my human parts with better, vibrating parts.

Yo, I like the way you think.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular

Maximum cool is actually the middle of the bar. Zero coolpoints or too much coolpoints and you are entering the "looking like a dickhead" status (Copyright Eddie Izzard)

I saw a dude in a leather jacket once and thought... "Cool..."

Then I saw a guy in a leather vest and thought.... "Yeah... NOT cool."

And that's when it hit me: Cool is all about leather sleeves. (copyright Dmitri Martin)

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

*record scratch*

... what?

Where's Koopah's avatar when you need it?
    I had fun, and was satisfied.
    Ofcourse i was lot easier to please back then.

• Options
    Vehicles are third-person. Not too surprising. Though I actually do love driving in first-person, even though it is never as good as third-person.

They don't want players driving all the time. The world is divided up in to "hubs" where players are going to want to walk around and explore and spend a lot of time there.

They are still entirely focused on delivering a single-player experience. They're not against the idea of adding a co-op mode, but if that happens it would be something that comes after the game has been released.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Good, good.

It's slated for current gen consoles.

Probably won't get 60 fps if you're not on the "upgraded" ones.

• Options
    I went from "aware of its existence" to "max hype levels" in less than 24 hours with this game... Such a radical change like that can't be good for the body.

• Options
    Vehicles are third-person. Not too surprising. Though I actually do love driving in first-person, even though it is never as good as third-person.

They don't want players driving all the time. The world is divided up in to "hubs" where players are going to want to walk around and explore and spend a lot of time there.

They are still entirely focused on delivering a single-player experience. They're not against the idea of adding a co-op mode, but if that happens it would be something that comes after the game has been released.
    Vehicles are apparently 1st or 3rd person, up to player choice

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I need this game in my eyes

now

right the fuck now

gimme

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2020+ game.

The main thing that makes me think this wouldn't be the case is because at that point people would be asking why are they making it for the old systems as current rumors are the new generation is a 2020 thing.

So after 2020 would be them releasing on ps4 a whole year after ps5 was out.

Plus the whole 4 year CDPR thing.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The waypoint gang was streaming their podcast recording last night, and Austin was so hype as to describe the demo as a religious experience for him. He didn’t take any notes so as to just absorb it all.

Not sure if it’s been posted yet, but it’s a good chat.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    if the game doesnt let me tear off my own arms doing stupid things then its not real cyberpunk

thats my test

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    They're doing A Thing later today.

(It's not gameplay)

Folks on the innernetz theorizing that we might get gameplay at Gamescom.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    if the game doesnt let me tear off my own arms doing stupid things then its not real cyberpunk

thats my test

Yeah, I need at least one instance of tearing the hatch off a robot spider tank and having my arms just explode from the stress.