Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

1585961636497

Posts

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Also, Poland is a nation that has had an LBGTQ march for 18 years in Warsaw, with 45,000 attending this year's march. Equating Polish bigotry with normality "in their country" is an idea that is extremely loaded, since it says the marchers and progressives are not the "true" Poles, the bigots and fascists are.

    Equating a particular political or social group with an entire country of tens or hundreds of millions of people for convenience sake is a bad idea in general. In Taiwan, our high court ruled that that failing to recognize same sex marriage is contrary to the R.O.C. constitution, and parliament (or rather, its political parties) must bring up law proposals to facilitate gay marriage (which the ruling party and opposition parties have proceeded to do), but it doesn't change the fact that tens of thousands of Christians and conservative Buddhists have rallied in opposition too. I don't agree with them myself, but I'm not going to say they don't have a right to protest or they're not real Taiwanese just because they disagree with majority. But this is quickly getting off topic.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
    PhillishereAndy JoeFencingsax
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    Oh brilliant
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    Is..is this a serious question?

    milskiAlbino Bunny3clipseNyysjanAndy JoeKadokenNightslyrKetBraTetraNitroCubaneMegaMekRoad BlockTychoCelchuuuCasually HardcorePhoenix-Dpots+pansautono-wally, erotibot300Happy Little Machine
  • milskimilski Their Will comes, at last, to Earth, to the Neath, as a storm crosses the sea. Registered User regular
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    In addition to using a trending political hashtag to make an ad obviously being in poor taste and shitty, the tweet ended with "yeah, how's that for some use of hashtags", making it clear they thought the hashtag was a joke and dismissing its actual meaning

    High, cold, eternal, immobile, minuscule. You endure; you burn.
    Phillishere3clipseAndy JoeNightslyrRoad BlockHappy Little Machine
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    Even if they didn't poke fun at the hashtag (and they sure did), co-opting a hashtag that's discussing the extremely serious issue of trans rights being under attack in the US in order to talk about your vidya gorms is An Extremely Bad Look.

    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
    BobbleElvenshaeFencingsaxRoad BlockHappy Little Machine
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Full disclosure, I got no idea how Twitter works. I assumed they had just copied the most popular hashtag of the day and worked it into a pun about what they do, without the context of what it actually means. If they have a history of ridiculing this stuff, then fair enough.

    Oh brilliant
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Oh hey, sixty new posts in the Cyberpunk thread, maybe there's a new video or screenshots or... oh... oh no.

    NyysjanSynthesisMassena3clipsechromdomdestroyah87Campym!ttensBigityBig ClassyFencingsaxEtiowsaNightslyrAegisdispatch.oTurambarKetBraCommander ZoomRhan9XeddicusDonnictonTetraNitroCubaneDusdaMr RayIanatorironsizideXantomasschuss
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    Is..is this a serious question?

    You do realize not everyone is up to date on every transgression that is going on? I had to google the hashtag and my first results were a song and I figured that wasn’t the problem so I had to keep digging to find out what was going on.

    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live: ObsoletePaper | Uplay: Banzai5150 | Playstation: ObsoletePaper
  • m!ttensm!ttens Registered User regular
    Full disclosure, I got no idea how Twitter works. I assumed they had just copied the most popular hashtag of the day and worked it into a pun about what they do, without the context of what it actually means. If they have a history of ridiculing this stuff, then fair enough.

    Fine use of coopting current event hashtags for your twitter: "The latest #VikingSword discovery shows that Geralt has more treasure hunting to do in Skellige. Discover your #Saga with #Witcher3WildHunt"

    Not fine use of coopting current event hashtags for your twitter: whatever CDPR/GOG seems to be doing.

    Phillishere3clipseKetBradaveNYC
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    Is..is this a serious question?

    You do realize not everyone is up to date on every transgression that is going on? I had to google the hashtag and my first results were a song and I figured that wasn’t the problem so I had to keep digging to find out what was going on.

    Let's keep pretending we're not talking about a professional social media manager jumping on a very sensitive issue in the snottiest way possible, then deleting the tweet really quick.

    Happy Little Machine
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2018
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    Is..is this a serious question?

    You do realize not everyone is up to date on every transgression that is going on? I had to google the hashtag and my first results were a song and I figured that wasn’t the problem so I had to keep digging to find out what was going on.

    Dude this quote tree is pretty well self-contained. The first poster outlines the issue succinctly and then is all y they mad, tho? My question was actually sincere, as I didn't know if it was sarcasm or not.

    My personal opinion is that if you feel the need to carry water for CDPR you should instead consider not doing it. They're a large corporation with a subsidiary, both of which have staff assigned to PR. It's not your job to make excuses for them poking fun at trending human rights abuses, it's their job to get shit right. People can still buy their games (I'm still going to!) but if they're not allowed to suffer even the most minor of rebukes they will never get better. The hundreds of millions of dollars company doesn't need your help laying turf down.

    And Holy jesus do I hate questions that start "You do realize..."

    A duck! on
    TetraNitroCubaneAndy JoeMegaMekRingoWyborninitiatefailureHappy Little Machine
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    Is..is this a serious question?

    You do realize not everyone is up to date on every transgression that is going on? I had to google the hashtag and my first results were a song and I figured that wasn’t the problem so I had to keep digging to find out what was going on.

    Let's keep pretending we're not talking about a professional social media manager jumping on a very sensitive issue in the snottiest way possible, then deleting the tweet really quick.

    I am in NO way defending anyone. I just though that when DRX asked why and was responded to with “Is this a serious question” that it was not the best way to answer his question. That is all.

    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live: ObsoletePaper | Uplay: Banzai5150 | Playstation: ObsoletePaper
    Elvenshae
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    Is..is this a serious question?

    You do realize not everyone is up to date on every transgression that is going on? I had to google the hashtag and my first results were a song and I figured that wasn’t the problem so I had to keep digging to find out what was going on.

    Dude this quote tree is pretty well self-contained. The first poster outlines the issue succinctly and then is all y they mad, tho? My question was actually sincere, as I didn't know if it was sarcasm or not.

    My personal opinion is that if you feel the need to carry water for CDPR you should instead consider not doing it. They're a large corporation with a subsidiary, both of which have staff assigned to PR. It's not your job to make excuses for them poking fun at trending human rights abuses, it's their job to get shit right. People can still buy their games (I'm still going to!) but if they're not allowed to suffer even the most minor of rebukes they will never get better. The hundreds of millions of dollars company doesn't need your help laying turf down.

    And Holy jesus do I hate questions that start "You do realize..."

    I do apologize for the way the message was worded. It’s becoming more and more prevalent on these boards in sections that aren’t D&D and what not to have people going off on topics that I am not up to speed on. I’ll just stop my post here.

    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live: ObsoletePaper | Uplay: Banzai5150 | Playstation: ObsoletePaper
    Massena
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2018
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    Is..is this a serious question?

    You do realize not everyone is up to date on every transgression that is going on? I had to google the hashtag and my first results were a song and I figured that wasn’t the problem so I had to keep digging to find out what was going on.

    Dude this quote tree is pretty well self-contained. The first poster outlines the issue succinctly and then is all y they mad, tho? My question was actually sincere, as I didn't know if it was sarcasm or not.

    My personal opinion is that if you feel the need to carry water for CDPR you should instead consider not doing it. They're a large corporation with a subsidiary, both of which have staff assigned to PR. It's not your job to make excuses for them poking fun at trending human rights abuses, it's their job to get shit right. People can still buy their games (I'm still going to!) but if they're not allowed to suffer even the most minor of rebukes they will never get better. The hundreds of millions of dollars company doesn't need your help laying turf down.

    And Holy jesus do I hate questions that start "You do realize..."

    I do apologize for the way the message was worded. It’s becoming more and more prevalent on these boards in sections that aren’t D&D and what not to have people going off on topics that I am not up to speed on. I’ll just stop my post here.

    I'm just saying that if you see AngelHedgie doing a thing it doesn't hurt to do the opposite.

    A duck! on
    Forar
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    Is..is this a serious question?

    You do realize not everyone is up to date on every transgression that is going on? I had to google the hashtag and my first results were a song and I figured that wasn’t the problem so I had to keep digging to find out what was going on.

    Dude this quote tree is pretty well self-contained. The first poster outlines the issue succinctly and then is all y they mad, tho? My question was actually sincere, as I didn't know if it was sarcasm or not.

    My personal opinion is that if you feel the need to carry water for CDPR you should instead consider not doing it. They're a large corporation with a subsidiary, both of which have staff assigned to PR. It's not your job to make excuses for them poking fun at trending human rights abuses, it's their job to get shit right. People can still buy their games (I'm still going to!) but if they're not allowed to suffer even the most minor of rebukes they will never get better. The hundreds of millions of dollars company doesn't need your help laying turf down.

    And Holy jesus do I hate questions that start "You do realize..."

    I do apologize for the way the message was worded. It’s becoming more and more prevalent on these boards in sections that aren’t D&D and what not to have people going off on topics that I am not up to speed on. I’ll just stop my post here.

    I'm just saying that if you see AngelHedgie doing a thing it doesn't hurt to do the opposite.

    Who/What is an AngelHedgie?

    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live: ObsoletePaper | Uplay: Banzai5150 | Playstation: ObsoletePaper
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    I don't really get it? They used the same hashtag as the trans erasure protest to refer to their vidya service policies? Why is that malicious or a joke?

    Is..is this a serious question?

    You do realize not everyone is up to date on every transgression that is going on? I had to google the hashtag and my first results were a song and I figured that wasn’t the problem so I had to keep digging to find out what was going on.

    Dude this quote tree is pretty well self-contained. The first poster outlines the issue succinctly and then is all y they mad, tho? My question was actually sincere, as I didn't know if it was sarcasm or not.

    My personal opinion is that if you feel the need to carry water for CDPR you should instead consider not doing it. They're a large corporation with a subsidiary, both of which have staff assigned to PR. It's not your job to make excuses for them poking fun at trending human rights abuses, it's their job to get shit right. People can still buy their games (I'm still going to!) but if they're not allowed to suffer even the most minor of rebukes they will never get better. The hundreds of millions of dollars company doesn't need your help laying turf down.

    And Holy jesus do I hate questions that start "You do realize..."

    I do apologize for the way the message was worded. It’s becoming more and more prevalent on these boards in sections that aren’t D&D and what not to have people going off on topics that I am not up to speed on. I’ll just stop my post here.

    I'm just saying that if you see AngelHedgie doing a thing it doesn't hurt to do the opposite.

    Who/What is an AngelHedgie?

    He's the Henry Ford of "you do realize" posts.

    ElvenshaejungleroomxNightslyrQanamiljoshofalltradesForar
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Alright, don't focus on the single event. Focus on the sustained pattern of events, and the support for GG. You're bullshitting here. Quit coyly trying to play down a "oh, Polish boys will be Polish boys" moment on a company with an established pattern of behavior.

    You know what? If you want to have an actual conversation and address what I'm saying I'd be happy to.

    But this isn't that and quite frankly you know that.

    No, I am very directly saying that you're making arguments in defense of a company with a sustained history of dog whistling to the alt-right, and which specifically does seem to make some transphobic put downs where they can get away with it. And I'm not sure if you're deliberately playing dumb as a thin defense of your own discomfort with the issue, or if you're just too enamored with fun video games to see the real world harm a culture making sustained small attacks over and over causes.

    If you could stop projecting the arguments you've had with alt-right shitheads on me I'd really appreciate it, Darkwolfe.

    I'm not going to argue with you about how equating the co-opting of a fucking twitter hashtag to actual attacks on human rights like what the hashtag is actually fucking about is so lacking in perspective that it legitimately angers me so I'll just reiterate that what the asshole at GOG wrote was shitty and leave it at that.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Wanna know a fun fact about Poland? It’s a modern nation with the Internet and knowledge of both English and current events! They have progressives too! They also have a fascist takeover due to the sudden death of all their liberal leaders in a plane crash.

    So, correction to that and apologies for the incoming tangent, because I just read it: taking for granted that the current ruling party of Poland, the Law and Justice Party (PiS, Prawo i Sprawiedliwosc) is "a fascist political party"--which I think is actually debatable, unlike certain things ("PiS is conservative", "PiS is soft Euroskeptic", "PiS is German-skeptic", "PiS is anti-Russian", "PiS is pro-NATO") which are a lot less debatable and a lot easier to ascertain--they didn't come to power "because all of Poland's liberal leaders died in the 2010 Polish Air Force crash outside Smolensk". The actual president of Poland, L. Kaczynski, who died in that same air disaster, was a member of PiS. His twin brother, former prime minister of Poland, the still very-much-alive Jaroslaw Kaczynski, is chairman of the Law and Justice Party. Several senior parliamentary members of PiS died in that same plane crash. They were in a coalition government before the crash as well. They did not single-handedly seize all power upon the death of "liberals" dying in a Tu-154 crash anymore than Gamergate single-handedly create the very wide and very nebulous alt-Right political landscape (another incorrect assumption you'll sometime see).

    So, yeah...facts and details. They matter. Poland does have (neo)liberals. Poland does have the internet, and people who speak English and read current events (in fact, they mayread more about current events abroad than the average American). And while your appraisal of CD Projekt, the corporation, could very well be correct, you're incorrect about how the current government of Poland--if it is indeed fascist, a separate question--came to power. If anything, it'd be more accurate to say that the conservative rightist ruling party, and its allies, came to power in spite of several of their elites dying in a plane crash, in a rightward swing of a large portion of the Polish electorate over several years.

    (I bring this up because I've repeatedly posted about PiS, out of a concern of its rightist politics among other things, and I'm not sure anyone actually reads them.)

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
    ElvenshaeHappylilElfDark Raven XCommander Zoomstopgap
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Wanna know a fun fact about Poland? It’s a modern nation with the Internet and knowledge of both English and current events! They have progressives too! They also have a fascist takeover due to the sudden death of all their liberal leaders in a plane crash.

    STUFF

    There isn't an "interesting" button, or I click it. World is always more complex than you'd think.

    RchanenCommander Zoom
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Wanna know a fun fact about Poland? It’s a modern nation with the Internet and knowledge of both English and current events! They have progressives too! They also have a fascist takeover due to the sudden death of all their liberal leaders in a plane crash.

    STUFF

    There isn't an "interesting" button, or I click it. World is always more complex than you'd think.

    I'm flattered, thank you. Usually "STUFF" means "Shit I couldn't care less about."

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    I am seriously considering getting my backer rewards for Xenonauts and Phoenix Point at steam after this jackassery.

  • jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Literally the point of shitty, meme style crypto bullshit that make up these repeated scandals is so that it flies under the noses of or is excusable to folks not keyed into the issue. So the conversation becomes about those mean, over reacting progressives trying to ban video games.

    Meanwhile CDPR is happy employing a dude who continually signals that trans people can fuck off and bigots can get a high five.

    Honestly fuck this trash company.

    So is the idea here to boycott the company, including those people who likely don't feel that way?

    I mean, we have worse companies here in the US but people seem to be fine patronizing them. Amazon, Chick-Fil-A, In-N-Out all seem to be progressively shit but damn if we don't hear their praises sung.

    Japanese companies seem to get a pass on this as well.

    jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
    Big ClassyBanzai5150
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The "hit them in their wallets" thing doesn't really convince me, because if this game fails to meet sales expectations, it sure as hell isn't going to be traced back to this. History tells us publishers do not learn this lesson.

    I think it's still worth taking companies to task for this sort of fuck-up publicly, though, because while boycotting a game may be a pipe dream, affecting how CDPR is viewed by other people, and particularly other companies that may or may not choose to work with them, is feasible.

    jungleroomx
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    The "hit them in their wallets" thing doesn't really convince me, because if this game fails to meet sales expectations, it sure as hell isn't going to be traced back to this. History tells us publishers do not learn this lesson.

    I think it's still worth taking companies to task for this sort of fuck-up publicly, though, because while boycotting a game may be a pipe dream, affecting how CDPR is viewed by other people, and particularly other companies that may or may not choose to work with them, is feasible.

    Agreed on that. There is definitely some habitual line-stepping going on with CDP's social media presence that is toxic as hell.

    I probably won't boycott CP2077 due to what some dipshit said on their Twitter accounts, if we're being honest. Now if this makes it into the game, I may have to reconsider any future purchases from the company. Also, make a lot of noise about it while doing so.

    Make. Time.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck the search for the means to put an end to things an end to speech is what enables the discourse to continue ~ * ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) excelsior * ~Registered User regular
    Also, Poland is a nation that has had an LBGTQ march for 18 years in Warsaw, with 45,000 attending this year's march. Equating Polish bigotry with normality "in their country" is an idea that is extremely loaded, since it says the marchers and progressives are not the "true" Poles, the bigots and fascists are.

    yeah the supreme court had notable lgbt friendly rulings recently

    https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/06/21/polands-supreme-court-stands-lgbt-equality eg

    obF2Wuw.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The "hit them in their wallets" thing doesn't really convince me, because if this game fails to meet sales expectations, it sure as hell isn't going to be traced back to this. History tells us publishers do not learn this lesson.

    I think it's still worth taking companies to task for this sort of fuck-up publicly, though, because while boycotting a game may be a pipe dream, affecting how CDPR is viewed by other people, and particularly other companies that may or may not choose to work with them, is feasible.

    Agreed on that. There is definitely some habitual line-stepping going on with CDP's social media presence that is toxic as hell.

    I probably won't boycott CP2077 due to what some dipshit said on their Twitter accountsthe singular face of the company's views said on one of the primary locations they've selected to share their views with the world has repeatedly said.

    What is this I don't even.
    3clipseMegaMek
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The "hit them in their wallets" thing doesn't really convince me, because if this game fails to meet sales expectations, it sure as hell isn't going to be traced back to this. History tells us publishers do not learn this lesson.

    I think it's still worth taking companies to task for this sort of fuck-up publicly, though, because while boycotting a game may be a pipe dream, affecting how CDPR is viewed by other people, and particularly other companies that may or may not choose to work with them, is feasible.

    Agreed on that. There is definitely some habitual line-stepping going on with CDP's social media presence that is toxic as hell.

    I probably won't boycott CP2077 due to what some dipshit said on their Twitter accountsthe singular face of the company's views said on one of the primary locations they've selected to share their views with the world has repeatedly said.

    Yes, including Mike Pondsmith and any material he may produce as well, correct?

    Make. Time.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    When you let someone run your companies social media, they’re speaking for the company. If that person running it makes a series of posts/tweets/etc showing a certain political leaning, and as a company you don’t vocally denounce the comments and remove that person from their social media team, as a company you’re standing by those comments.

    The fact that they’re making a cool video game you really want and have waited a long time for doesn’t change that.

    3clipseDarkewolfeNyysjanKetBraWybornMegaMekHappy Little Machine
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    When you let someone run your companies social media, they’re speaking for the company. If that person running it makes a series of posts/tweets/etc showing a certain political leaning, and as a company you don’t vocally denounce the comments and remove that person from their social media team, as a company you’re standing by those comments.

    The fact that they’re making a cool video game you really want and have waited a long time for doesn’t change that.

    Then nuke everyone involved, including Pondsmith. He's not speaking up last I checked, and he's working directly with them on his IP.

    Make. Time.
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    When you let someone run your companies social media, they’re speaking for the company. If that person running it makes a series of posts/tweets/etc showing a certain political leaning, and as a company you don’t vocally denounce the comments and remove that person from their social media team, as a company you’re standing by those comments.

    The fact that they’re making a cool video game you really want and have waited a long time for doesn’t change that.

    Then nuke everyone involved, including Pondsmith. He's not speaking up last I checked, and he's working directly with them on his IP.

    I'm really curious what point you're trying to make here, so please explain it to me.

    dN0T6ur.png
    3clipseKetBraMegaMekstopgapHappy Little Machine
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    When you let someone run your companies social media, they’re speaking for the company. If that person running it makes a series of posts/tweets/etc showing a certain political leaning, and as a company you don’t vocally denounce the comments and remove that person from their social media team, as a company you’re standing by those comments.

    The fact that they’re making a cool video game you really want and have waited a long time for doesn’t change that.

    Then nuke everyone involved, including Pondsmith. He's not speaking up last I checked, and he's working directly with them on his IP.

    You have chosen a strange hill to die on.

    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
    manwiththemachinegunNyysjanKetBraWybornMegaMekstopgapHappy Little Machine
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    When you let someone run your companies social media, they’re speaking for the company. If that person running it makes a series of posts/tweets/etc showing a certain political leaning, and as a company you don’t vocally denounce the comments and remove that person from their social media team, as a company you’re standing by those comments.

    The fact that they’re making a cool video game you really want and have waited a long time for doesn’t change that.

    Then nuke everyone involved, including Pondsmith. He's not speaking up last I checked, and he's working directly with them on his IP.

    I'm really curious what point you're trying to make here, so please explain it to me.

    Last I checked programmers, graphic artists, dolby engineers, voice actors, writers, and every other person working on this thing outside of the CEO or marketing manager have zero say or ability to do anything about the social media marketing people.

    Mike Pondsmith has nothing to do with it.

    But if you're going to cut off one entire group because of this, then it's completely fair to say Pondsmith is equally liable for not speaking up with our current interpretation of things.

    So, fairly, he should be chucked out the door with the rest of them.

    Make. Time.
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So you're saying that, because people do not want to support a corporation that allows its mouthpiece to repeatedly spout LGBTQ-hostile viewpoints and dogwhistle for the worst elements of the game player community, that they are equivocating the actions of one individual with the actions of everyone involved in the creation of the game

    And that this extends to... *checks notes* ...the person they licensed the setting from

    Do I have that right

    Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So you're saying that, because people do not want to support a corporation that allows its mouthpiece to repeatedly spout LGBTQ-hostile viewpoints and dogwhistle for the worst elements of the game player community, that they are equivocating the actions of one individual with the actions of everyone involved in the creation of the game

    And that this extends to... *checks notes* ...the person they licensed the setting from

    Do I have that right

    Licensed and are currently working with, yes. I see no reason why he should be shielded if nobody else at the company is.

    And no, it is not one individual, and if you're going to purposely strawman the entire thing then you can just declare yourself the winner and have whatever party you want.

    jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Sure, I'll go ahead and say that if Mike Pondsmith doesn't say anything about this then I'll refuse to buy his products.

    What is this I don't even.
    jungleroomx3clipseMegaMekHappy Little Machine
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Sure, I'll go ahead and say that if Mike Pondsmith doesn't say anything about this then I'll refuse to buy his products.

    That's fair. And to my knowledge he hasn't said anything about this and if people feel that strongly then he should also be at the business end.

    But if you don't feel that strongly he should get punished for this, then I say I feel the same way about the hundreds of people who had nothing to do with it and zero say in what a few fuckwits in marketing and the CEO do on Twitter.

    You can boycott the game but that won't hurt anyone at the top. They already have money and will land firmly on their feet somewhere else, if it goes so far in causing financial distress at CDPR.

    Make. Time.
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Oh, I see. Are you under the impression that CD Projekt has two social media managers? Indications are that they do not, and that one person handles all of their twitters. I might be wrong about that, of course, but it wouldn't make much of a difference; we're left with an understanding that they've hired multiple social media managers that do the same thing.

    Well, regardless.

    Nobody has a moral obligation to support a corporation because there are good people who work there, especially if they feel that that corporation is contributing to a culture of harm (which it is fair to accuse CD Projekt of at this point). Similarly, by saying that a corporation is causing harm and that one does not wish to support them, one is not suggesting that this is reflective of every person who works for the corporation; it does not have to be. It is simply a suggestion (or admission) that one does not wish to financially support what is probably a net negative to the community.

    "Hey, fuck you!" is a perfectly fine reaction to have toward a corporation when that corporation decides to co-opt a hashtag that's about the erasure of human rights for an oppressed minority. So is "I'm not buying your shit if you don't take it back and make some kind of reparations, or at least show genuine contrition, and willingness and effort toward change!"

    And yes, a social media manager doing that counts as the corporation doing it, when that and similar incidents and dog-whistling happen once a month since June with no apparent changes to policy and no actions taken to prevent more in the future.

    Trying to say "then one must also be upset with Pondsmith" is disingenuous in the extreme. I'm curious regarding what he has to say about it, but he's not actually an employee of CD Projekt, nor part of its management, nor in any way associated with the corporation in a way that could have affected their decision making regarding social media that I'm aware of. Pointing to him as an example of how ridiculous it is to blame the corporation is nonsense. Doubly so because I don't think most people here support him financially anyway, and if pressed might also be upset at how he's not speaking out.

    No one's telling you to feel guilty that you intend to buy Cyberpunk, still. But also, if you're going to die on the hill for CD Projekt, you might as well admit there's basically nothing they could say that would get you to not buy it. Which, whatever, that's you. But you don't need to stan for a multi-hundreds-of-millions dollar corporation on these the Penny Arcade forums. They don't need defending.

    Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    DarkewolfePhoenix-DJeep-EepHappy Little MachineHandsome Costanza
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Wow... just wow.

    steam_sig.png
    Xbox Live: ObsoletePaper | Uplay: Banzai5150 | Playstation: ObsoletePaper
    jammu
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    This is so frustrating. This is exactly like the time when I found out the LGS I played Warmachine at was an Alt Right haven and the only reason why I was tolerated there for so long was because I dropped a few hundred on miniatures without knowing what was going on in there.

    MegaMek
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Literally the point of shitty, meme style crypto bullshit that make up these repeated scandals is so that it flies under the noses of or is excusable to folks not keyed into the issue. So the conversation becomes about those mean, over reacting progressives trying to ban video games.

    Meanwhile CDPR is happy employing a dude who continually signals that trans people can fuck off and bigots can get a high five.

    Honestly fuck this trash company.

    So is the idea here to boycott the company, including those people who likely don't feel that way?

    I mean, we have worse companies here in the US but people seem to be fine patronizing them. Amazon, Chick-Fil-A, In-N-Out all seem to be progressively shit but damn if we don't hear their praises sung.

    Japanese companies seem to get a pass on this as well.

    Cough Infinity Ward COUGH

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
    jungleroomx
Sign In or Register to comment.