As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I've only seen a few of YongYea's videos(one of my Steam reviews was featured in a video of his), but for what it's worth I haven't seen anything indicating that he leans in any particular direction.

Given the hours of work that goes into a quality YouTube video and how much YouTubers live and die on their ad revenue, I really can't blame anyone for being cautious if they think something could get demonetized. Especially since YouTube is basically the only real option of content creators so if you get blacklisted, you better hope you take off on Twitch because your career is over.

Whatever you think about the issue has to be weighed in the face of the fact that the YouTube monolith literally doesn't care about anything aside from its sponsors, so if you plan to die on a hill and throw out your livelihood in one button press of an YouTube Heroes™, it would probably be best to make sure it's a bit more of a calculated/impactful protest than whether or not you think it should be safe to use the word 'racist'.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Not to jump on but I. . .don't think this:
    Darkwolfe wrote:
    The trailer has something really basic going on, the good guys are mostly white, the bad guys are black.

is an accurate representation of what we see in the trailer. I mean the MC is white (I guess) because that's what they've chosen to go for in the marketing, but The Voodoo Boys are not "bad guys" anymore than Stout was a "bad guy" from the gameplay demo in 2018. The Animals just seem like a diverse group of juiced up shitheads.

Really feels like a lot of sentiment regarding representation in this games (that we've seen less than 1% of) is based off that initial RPS hot-take (a take which itself reads pretty shakey).

I'm going to be honest I'd probably stab V in the back if I was the Voodoo Boys because

I mean V's a mercenary who knows all their secrets and if she'd go kill the gang across the street for a few creds, she'd do the same to them

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Darkwolfe wrote:
    The trailer has something really basic going on, the good guys are mostly white, the bad guys are black.

is an accurate representation of what we see in the trailer. I mean the MC is white (I guess) because that's what they've chosen to go for in the marketing, but The Voodoo Boys are not "bad guys" anymore than Stout was a "bad guy" from the gameplay demo in 2018. The Animals just seem like a diverse group of juiced up shitheads.

Really feels like a lot of sentiment regarding representation in this games (that we've seen less than 1% of) is based off that initial RPS hot-take (a take which itself reads pretty shakey).

I'm going to be honest I'd probably stab V in the back if I was the Voodoo Boys because

I mean V's a mercenary who knows all their secrets and if she'd go kill the gang across the street for a few creds, she'd do the same to them

What's most infuriating about the read on these characters from RPS is that it assumes that they betray V because "of course they will; they're blaaaaack" instead of "of course they will; this is a cut-throat world and whomever is on top wins." This
    RPS wrote:
    The violent black thugs betrayed us, as the corporate white man said they would. If CD Projeckt are trying to subvert expectations – if the punchline is, but sometimes the thugs are really thugs – then it’s not one that lands.

line is kind of infuriating because it just ignores any context that might exist, and instead imputes motive based on personal bias of the author.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Darkwolfe wrote:

Oh for sure. Getting betrayed/played is the hazard of doing business for an amoral mercenary.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I gotta say, this argument that a Youtuber clearly of some Asian descent is honestly trying to whitewash the term racism is truly astounding and hilarious, considering the amount of trash he probably has to sort through on the Internet daily. The amount of mental gymnastics someone would have to go through in order to believe that is impressive.

I am truly tired of people trying with all their might to find something to be angry about regarding this game, even if it's just tangentially throwing shade at a Youtuber's channel after posting his opinion. Jesus Christ, it's a fucking video game... can everyone calm the hell down for a while?

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Problem is that CP2077 has an immense amount of hype and buzz behind it. So any articles that criticize it, especially of any sort of a political nature, are going to get insane clicks/views. It's a cash crop right now and we're likely to see more articles of this nature come until the game's release. Then we'll see these same sites trip over themselves to sing the game's praises and unanimously declare it GOTY.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    There's also the fact that Cyberpunk undeniably had a bag start and CDPR undeniably has a not great track record. It's not like this is coming from nowhere.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    There's also the fact that Cyberpunk undeniably had a bag start and CDPR undeniably has a not great track record. It's not like this is coming from nowhere.

And I would counter that CDPR has a pretty good track record in handling mature themes in their games that is being now overshadowed by bad management of their social media presence and some woeful extrapolation of content from the now 2 hours of content we've seen from a developer whose last game averaged 100+ hours of playtime.

One of the most revered developers currently is now fighting off charges of being "alt-right adjacent" and having "conservative leanings" (charges made, without evidence, in this thread) because of an unattended Twitter account and out of context screenshots.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    It couldn't possibly be that there might be some valid criticism over some of the messaging around the game.

No of course not people are just over reacting.

Again, if someone is having feelings about a thing and sees concern then you telling them it's not valid is not going to be the winning argument there.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    It couldn't possibly be that there might be some valid criticism over some of the messaging around the game.

Again, if someone is having feelings about a thing and sees concern then you telling them it's not valid is not going to be the winning argument there.

Who. Is. Saying. This? Seriously. In my post I concede (even if obliquely) that CDPR has been off it's communication game (e.g. maybe don't release a screenshot showcasing the state of transhumism in your game without context, especially after having to fire someone for being flippant about real-world modern-day transphobia) yet somehow all you've taken from that is "oh they're just being uppity."

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    cant wait to learn polish and japanese because I'll need to buy bootleg copies of games and media because companies will just not want to deal with the headache of constantly outraged dumbass americans.
    and I wont fault them for it.

seriously. the swing from adulation for this game to outright revulsion damn near snapped my neck.

its a fucking game. about cyberpunk. be happy its coming out at all.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Telling trans people who think it's bad that actually, if you look at the dystopian setting you'll see it's completely justified artistically just smacks of condescension and privilege though

Like I get it! I understand what they're going for, and I don't think arguments that it fits thematically necessarily amount to corporate loyalty, but it is pretty tone deaf

Just because it fits the cyberpunk motif doesn't mean they shouldn't try to contextualize it so that it isn't taken as hostile by vulnerable populations

They need to do better

Is there even a way to contextualize it?

I'd like to ask someone here who is trans how this could have ever been modified or changed so it was the same idea but not hostile.

From this company? None.

Who. Is. Saying. This? Seriously. In my post I concede (even if obliquely) that CDPR has been off it's communication game (e.g. maybe don't release a screenshot showcasing the state of transhumism in your game without context, especially after having to fire someone for being flippant about real-world modern-day transphobia) yet somehow all you've taken from that is "oh they're just being uppity."

...scroll up like three posts and read this.
    I am truly tired of people trying with all their might to find something to be angry about regarding this game,

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

You can also frame an argument without lumping people who disagree with you over relatively minor points into the alt-right supporter/tolerater camp. Which is where I feel we're pretty much skirting the line with some responses to relatively innocuous comments I've made.

You don't have to like this game, you don't have to buy this game. You don't have to agree with its points and you're certainly free to criticize content. That does not mean that counter-criticism is knee jerk fanboi-ing defense of CDProjekt.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options

Axen when he said that there was buzz around the game so people were going to write negative articles about it which is a way to defuse valid criticism as just the media going off again.

So. . . What's your beef with what I said again?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

From this company? None.

So there's no discussion to be had and everyone who doesn't agree with this is wrong.

I guess shut the entire thread down then, it's been decided.

• Options
    This has become toxic and there's too much chest beating. I am bailing out of this.

I hope you enjoy your game. Sorry for having feelings on things and thanks for showing this little girl how wrong she was.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    That was an anicent ass draft.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    cant wait to learn polish and japanese because I'll need to buy bootleg copies of games and media because companies will just not want to deal with the headache of constantly outraged dumbass americans.

seriously. the swing from adulation for this game to outright revulsion damn near snapped my neck.

Oh dear.

Axen when he said that there was buzz around the game so people were going to write negative articles about it which is a way to defuse valid criticism as just the media going off again.

So. . . What's your beef with what I said again?

My "beef" as it were, is that you're being just as dismissive about the counter-arguments as you think people are being about your concerns about the game. Yes, suggesting that journos are arguing in bad faith (and I don't think RPS is doing that. . .intentionally), isn't the best way to engage in conversation, but neither is handwaving away people asking legit questions like "what is your source that CDPR is a conservative publisher" (which after Witcher 3 I legit struggle to understand how anyone can ask this; viewing non-Polish culture through a Polish lens. . .sure, but conservative - yeesh).
    I hope you enjoy your game. Sorry for having feelings on things and thanks for showing this little girl how wrong she was.

As the millennials say "just. . .wow."

ED! on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I promised photos, here you go guys:

https://imgur.com/gallery/DFdCK3C

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Darkwolfe wrote:

Oh for sure. Getting betrayed/played is the hazard of doing business for an amoral mercenary.

I got to about this part and thought of GTA3, where the protag gets serially ****ed by everyone when it's time to move on to the next island.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I promised photos, here you go guys:

https://imgur.com/gallery/DFdCK3C

I absolutely love the guy with his weird like... batman... pacman... suit... thing... with the visor that he's wearing on his face.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    ...scroll up like three posts and read this.
    I am truly tired of people trying with all their might to find something to be angry about regarding this game,

To be fair that message was in response to someone who was desperately trying to make outrage out of nothing, who was trying to imply that YongYea was trying to censor the word 'racism' because he wanted to pretend it wasn't there, not because Youtube is being overly sensitive about wording at the moment.

I mean I don't think CDPR has issues with trying to include people in their games, I still think their messaging has been a little off. And truthfully, you're banking the most inclusive video game made on a developer who's famous for a game series involving rampant racism and misogyny as a period piece for a book series set in fantasy medieval Poland with virtually no non-white people in it... and still pretty much didn't truly outrage anyone in the process somehow. Holy shit guys, maybe some baby steps are in order here.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

There is probably more glowing, uncritical press for this game than anything critical, so maybe chill out.

I’d rather have more critical, even if perhaps over-the-top, press than journalists just acting as a second marketing team for the publisher.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

Agreed, the only thing companies hate more than controversy is money, so this makes sense.
    I absolutely love the guy with his weird like... batman... pacman... suit... thing... with the visor that he's wearing on his face.

That's actually the Riddler. He's not taking retirement well.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    At this point it’s pretty clear that someone could point out the Sky is blue and this thread would rush to insist that it’s not in Poland and fetishise how many different colours of sky the full product might contain.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    D9ivo5TUYAEaVn7.jpg:large
    *Sigh*

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Why is it in Papyrus?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Why is it in Papyrus?

Not my screenshot.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »

There is probably more glowing, uncritical press for this game than anything critical, so maybe chill out.

I’d rather have more critical, even if perhaps over-the-top, press than journalists just acting as a second marketing team for the publisher.

And I would still enjoy talking about this game on this forum without a flame war on every single page. Maybe a split thread about CDPR's problems is a good idea?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

And I would still enjoy talking about this game on this forum without a flame war on every single page. Maybe a split thread about CDPR's problems is a good idea?

You shouldn't need a safe space to preserve you from having to read critiques of your media.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

You shouldn't need a safe space to preserve you from having to read critiques of your media.

It's more about getting told you're harboring secret prejudices and youre an actual bad person because you're not ready to burn down the CDPR headquarters, a message that repeats every 3 pages.

Hell, we got one on this very page.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Gotta say I’m getting pretty irritated when every few days I see ‘100+ new posts’ and think there’s been something interesting, wade through this shit again and try to forget the thread exists again.

Reading about the game would be nice.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

What critique? Literally anything at all is instantly interpreted from the worst view possible and anyone that is against that worst view is a nazi (alt right is nazis, let's not mince words) enabler who needs a safe space.

I'd love some good discussion about the game and the news articles about it. There is none here. This is a polish company that is honestly trying with viewpoints that aren't exactly 100% standard in an increasingly reactionary conservative country that is going in an increasingly strange direction.

And yet they are treated like they're literal nazis fighting for the eradication of anything that isn't the WASP.

I'm living as a minority in my country, living increasingly nonbinary, and I'd consider myself Bi.

Don't treat me like the enemy, because I'm not. If you want to argue with nazis, do that. Don't use me as a stand in.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

At this point we've sort of passed critique into, "you're either for us or against us". The responses to the actual content of Cyberpunk's poster, and twitter has been discussed, I think quite fairly for the most part, and people have arrived at different conclusions based on what we've seen so far.
    At this point it’s pretty clear that someone could point out the Sky is blue and this thread would rush to insist that it’s not in Poland and fetishise how many different colours of sky the full product might contain.

This isn't criticism for example.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Gotta say I’m getting pretty irritated when every few days I see ‘100+ new posts’ and think there’s been something interesting, wade through this shit again and try to forget the thread exists again.

Reading about the game would be nice.

These are worthless posts. Create the content you want to read instead of whining.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I can’t wait for this game:
    5MczyHC.jpg

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    jammu wrote: »
    I can’t wait for this game:
    5MczyHC.jpg

You can apparently call the car like you can call roach! So this might actually happen.

Only in the roof of the 151st floor, instead

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

It's more about getting told you're harboring secret prejudices and youre an actual bad person because you're not ready to burn down the CDPR headquarters, a message that repeats every 3 pages.

When you've spent as much time as you have telling people why their concerns aren't valid and arguing against all criticisn of the game, this is not a strong argument.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2019
    3clipse wrote: »

When you've spent as much time as you have telling people why their concerns aren't valid and arguing against all criticisn of the game, this is not a strong argument.

Find another venue if you want to get into personal arguments.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    this thread is rapidly getting kinda meta for a thread about cyberpunk

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/