As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mirror's Edge with the popups and such.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I hope there's an option to put Instagram filters on everybody while they're talking to you

If it's good enough for the government of Pakistan...

cat_face_2.jpg?itok=tosIa3uH&mtime=1560812335

It would also be a wrinkle in a seek and destroy mission where the person who hires you never takes his filter off, so the only picture you have is a capture from his eye feed of some guy with cat ears and hearts over his head

All those games with cheats like bobble head mode. This game could legitimately have them as filters you buy.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Geth, kick @jungleroomx

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative A duck!. @jungleroomx banned from this thread.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    So I have basically no history or experience with the Cyberpunk world/games. How does it compare to something like the Shadowrun setting?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Significantly less Orcs.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I've run and played lots of Shadowrun and am currently running a Cyberpunk 2020 game, obviously the biggest difference is the lack of magic and other fantastical elements, but otherwise the two settings are very similar. The government is corrupt but weak, corporations run largely unchecked, crime is rampant and as a game system combat is incredibly lethal with a dense hacking minigame. It has a bit more of a class based element because there are while 99% of the game is attribute + skill and they're all open to you to choose from, there are a special selection of archtypes with a unique skill and you pick one at game start.

These are things like Corporate, Media, Cop, Rockerboy, Netrunner, Solo (street samurai), etc. and their special skill is something that makes you dominant in one specialized field. For example Solos get Combat Awareness which adds passively to perception and initiative, and while that may sound boring with the combat system spotting an ambush and/or going first is pretty huge. Rockerboys get Charismatic Leadership which lets them rile up a crowd, Cops get Authority which is used in social tests as you might expect.

It's a pretty neat system although the rulebook feels very 80s, lol.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I've run and played lots of Shadowrun and am currently running a Cyberpunk 2020 game, obviously the biggest difference is the lack of magic and other fantastical elements, but otherwise the two settings are very similar. The government is corrupt but weak, corporations run largely unchecked, crime is rampant and as a game system combat is incredibly lethal with a dense hacking minigame. It has a bit more of a class based element because there are while 99% of the game is attribute + skill and they're all open to you to choose from, there are a special selection of archtypes with a unique skill and you pick one at game start.

These are things like Corporate, Media, Cop, Rockerboy, Netrunner, Solo (street samurai), etc. and their special skill is something that makes you dominant in one specialized field. For example Solos get Combat Awareness which adds passively to perception and initiative, and while that may sound boring with the combat system spotting an ambush and/or going first is pretty huge. Rockerboys get Charismatic Leadership which lets them rile up a crowd, Cops get Authority which is used in social tests as you might expect.

It's a pretty neat system although the rulebook feels very 80s, lol.

I'm really going to have to research "rockerboy" at some point. It sounds like "bard" but weaving magical buffs for your team doesn't really strike me as cyberpunk.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Rockerboy’s core ability is to summon a crowd just by playing music.

So you can incite riots, clog up whole streets, distract security with the problem and so on.

It’s a good gimmick for a face style pc to have. Though it seems in the video game we’re all solo’s.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    So I have basically no history or experience with the Cyberpunk world/games. How does it compare to something like the Shadowrun setting?

Funnily enough, I am looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 to scratch that Shadowrun itch. I couldn't get into any of the turnbased stuff of the newer games, but this looks right up my alley and one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the game.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll re-brand Rockerboy into something like Celebrity or Influencer? Rockerboy feels decidedly anachronistic.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I legit miss a game like the SNES Shadowrun.

Before that game, I had never heard of the franchise, never knew there was a tabletop rpg, and the keyword system was so fresh to me. Imagine my surprise when I found out the Genesis version of the game was WAY different and while not necessarily "worse", it was just not my style. The SNES game leaned a bit more into puzzling out a solution with the keywords, while the combat stuff was truer to the rpg.

The recent PC games are pretty good, but I want another SNES game with keywords, while also allowing all the class types from the rpg. Jake being able to do ALL the things was a bit OP.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Wow, yeah I don't see a great way to translate from that p2p to video game at all. I was always more of a Shadowrun person than a Cyberpunk 2020 person. But, personally, I never trust classes that rely on persuasion. DM's can get too persnickety.
    ED! wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »

Funnily enough, I am looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 to scratch that Shadowrun itch. I couldn't get into any of the turnbased stuff of the newer games, but this looks right up my alley and one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the game.

I've enjoyed the hell out of the tunrbased recent Shadowrun stuff, but I appreciate an old school Baldur's Gate experience (build a character, follow a plot, tactical scenarios, etc. Aside from the first one (which was pretty linear, they are very much in the vein of "choices have consequences, and you can choose your combat style (not playstyle)."

Honestly, if CDPR can deliver on anything that remotely conforms to The Deus Ex remake or Witcher 3 OR the old Bioware "decisions matter" thing.... I will throw as much money at them as they let me.

• Options
    A duck! wrote: »
    Geth, kick @jungleroomx

Yikes, apparently I need to review the rules of conduct. I was appreciating his involvement as a balancing agent.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll re-brand Rockerboy into something like Celebrity or Influencer? Rockerboy feels decidedly anachronistic.

"Influencer" would be great because it's contemporary and also sounds vaguely sinister.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Massena wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    Geth, kick jungleroomx

Yikes, apparently I need to review the rules of conduct. I was appreciating his involvement as a balancing agent.

I think the last three posts jungle made speak for themselves.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Not to belabor the point after a mod has spoken, but continually contradicting trans people to tell them their opinion is wrong is definitely not creating a balanced conversation.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

"Influencer" would be great because it's contemporary and also sounds vaguely sinister.
    I dunno, i like Rockerboy, it's nice an anachronistic, like i think lot of cyberpunk should be.
    Just shorter it to Rocker to have less gender expectations.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Wasn't it already Rockerboy/girl, though?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Rocker(ending of word drowned by 1000db guitar riff)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Rockerfolk.

• Options
    Still denotes a binary gender.
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Rockerfolk.
    And now i'm picturing somekind of weird folk and rock fusions band dressed half like a 18th century farmer half like an 80s hair metal band.

• Options
    it’s just rockerboy in 2020. The example rockerboy in the corebook is a woman.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    yr09hjnbl7r1.png

And the one on the cover of the splat book is a Vampire.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    look at all those buttons on that, weird, vaguely guitarshaped, thing...

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Ah so Rockerboys are Guitar Heroes.

• Options
    And vampire cosplayers.

• Options
    Other class abilities:

Authority: Cops get the ability to use their power and threaten violence to get answers. They are The Worst Class.

Charasmatic Leadership: Is the rockerboy's. Letting them attract their level squared times 200 people and sway them to act. For reference that means a Rockerboy with rank 10 can have a 20K crowd under their sway no problem.

Combat Sense: This is what makes Solo's into Solo's. It's just flat added onto any initiative rolls or onto tests to perceive physical threats. Solo's having a large amount of cash to turn into chrome already makes them into the most dangerous people in the room and Combat Sense solidifies it into a concrete fact.

Credibility: The media's stat, the higher your credibility the more capable you are of exposing scandals. It doesn't matter if you've got evidence that there's a massive corporate plan to demolish a neighbourhood if no one will believe you.

Family: Fast and the Furious meets Mad Max with the Nomads ability to call on other members of their gang for weapons, cash, vehicles, information and some muscle.

Interface: The Netrunner's ability is literally just to avoid having to do the hacking minigame. Which is indicative of the quality of said minigame.

Jury Rig: The Techie's ability is great, temporarily repair or alter something for XD6 turns based on your level of Jury Rig. Then it breaks again.

Medical Tech: Medtechs get the 'do surgery and medical repairs' option. Unsurprisingly.

Resources: Like Authority or Family but for being corporate middle management. The second worse class.

Streetdeal: Fixers have their ears to the floor when it comes to rumours, black market trades and other options that makes the other classes go to them for the good stuff.

In terms of 2077 I pretty much presume we'll be Solo's. The only other ones that transfer well to a video game are Jury Rig (which I doubt will be in because Hacking's the utility) and Interface.

We all get Interface for free because they could make Hacking 4d pipemania and it would still be better than 2020's hacking rules.

• Options
    Talking of vampires.
    I've been playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong Extended Edition recently.
    And one thing i hope this game will have that S:HKED has, is the ability to enjoy yourself.
    not meaning that gameplay is fun and engaging, no.
    Basicly, my character is fucking loving it. Running in the shadows, corporate sabotage, kidnappings, theft, hacking into databases, firefights...
    She, fucking, loves it.
    One of the missions had her enter a duel, on top of a high rise hotel, in midnight, WITH A VAMPIRE, and far as she was concerned, it was the coolest thing ever (ok, coolest thing this week) and then she made friends with the vampire.

Just, let me play a character who is not a gruff depressed and cynical frownyface.
    Like, sure, cynical is fine (my S:HKED character is loads of cynical), but happy cynical, someone who knows, and accepts, that the world kinda sucks, and isdetermined to squeeze all the joy they can out of it anyway.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'm still (entirely nonsensically) slightly bitter that the Shadowrun didn't allow physical adepts to be as ridiculously broken as they were in the tabletop game :P

• Options
    manwmachinegunPOSmanwmachinegunPOS Registered User new member
    The rank prejudice of this thread (indeed, of these forums) is astounding. The way it facilitates those prejudices is also astounding: jungleroomx is banned from the thread – o woe! – while Entaru has to remove herself from the discussion, even while the aggressor in her case, manwiththemachinegun, is still allowed on the thread.

It’s really nice to pretend, to be able to pretend, that people like manwiththemachinegun (or, indeed, spool32) do not have blood in their hands – after all, they present their arguments in a friendly manner! They are nice people! Why, they never even voted for Trump (though they did vote for Bush twice, but black people not from America are even less of a person that black people from America, so it’s all good)! This allows the creation of a feel good environment, wherein the enlightened (so-called) “leftists” of the Penny Arcade forums can complain about Jeremy Corbyn’s anti-semitism (you will notice this sort of political commentary is ok, even when discussing grocery shopping; Heaven forbid you tell a white person like manwiththemachinegun he’s a racist, sorry, “done some actively racist acts”) hand-in-hand with people who support the deportation of brown people and the continuing marginalization of transgender folk.

This is why any sort of transgender person who so much as sneezes in a funny matter has to self-exile from the boards (Ruby Rhod, GreatGatsby, Molly), while racist pricks like manwiththemachinegun are empowered (perhaps because ElJeffe was also a racist prick, but that’s in the past, that was during the Bush years when no one of any importance was killed – they were all Iraqi darkies), and the greatest enabler, the most self-satisfied centrist prick I’ve ever had the displeasure of knowing on the Internet, can keep crying that Dickwolves derailed two years of his life.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Other class abilities:

Authority: Cops get the ability to use their power and threaten violence to get answers. They are The Worst Class.

Charasmatic Leadership: Is the rockerboy's. Letting them attract their level squared times 200 people and sway them to act. For reference that means a Rockerboy with rank 10 can have a 20K crowd under their sway no problem.

Combat Sense: This is what makes Solo's into Solo's. It's just flat added onto any initiative rolls or onto tests to perceive physical threats. Solo's having a large amount of cash to turn into chrome already makes them into the most dangerous people in the room and Combat Sense solidifies it into a concrete fact.

Credibility: The media's stat, the higher your credibility the more capable you are of exposing scandals. It doesn't matter if you've got evidence that there's a massive corporate plan to demolish a neighbourhood if no one will believe you.

Family: Fast and the Furious meets Mad Max with the Nomads ability to call on other members of their gang for weapons, cash, vehicles, information and some muscle.

Interface: The Netrunner's ability is literally just to avoid having to do the hacking minigame. Which is indicative of the quality of said minigame.

Jury Rig: The Techie's ability is great, temporarily repair or alter something for XD6 turns based on your level of Jury Rig. Then it breaks again.

Medical Tech: Medtechs get the 'do surgery and medical repairs' option. Unsurprisingly.

Resources: Like Authority or Family but for being corporate middle management. The second worse class.

Streetdeal: Fixers have their ears to the floor when it comes to rumours, black market trades and other options that makes the other classes go to them for the good stuff.

In terms of 2077 I pretty much presume we'll be Solo's. The only other ones that transfer well to a video game are Jury Rig (which I doubt will be in because Hacking's the utility) and Interface.

We all get Interface for free because they could make Hacking 4d pipemania and it would still be better than 2020's hacking rules.

Yeah, I'll steal a quote that Tube said a while back on the Bloodlines 2 thread, that basically makes the same point here.

'The fact that it's a first person ARPG means that any attempt to stick mechanically to VTM would be folly. If it were an isometric, party-style RPG maybe they would want to be more faithful, but it would be a real square peg in a round hole for Bloodlines.'

So yeah, if this game was set up like Shadowrun Returns, I can see how having every different class would work. But with the kind of game it is, CDPR is going to have to concentrate on a few of the popular classes that cater well to video game controls, and maybe have other classes be small pocket experiences like perhaps in DLC. I don't have a problem with this either... if a video game could encapsulate the immersion and diversity of a P&P RPG like Cyberpunk or VtM, there would be no more P&P RPGs... and I would be a sad middle aged white boy.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Ah so Rockerboys are Guitar Heroes.

I think that's probably the 80s throwback that I like the most, that only rock and roll is the music genre that has that special something to defeat THE MAN.

A Sol Badguy themed Solo would probably not be a bad idea.

• Options
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Other class abilities:

Yeah, I'll steal a quote that Tube said a while back on the Bloodlines 2 thread, that basically makes the same point here.

'The fact that it's a first person ARPG means that any attempt to stick mechanically to VTM would be folly. If it were an isometric, party-style RPG maybe they would want to be more faithful, but it would be a real square peg in a round hole for Bloodlines.'

So yeah, if this game was set up like Shadowrun Returns, I can see how having every different class would work. But with the kind of game it is, CDPR is going to have to concentrate on a few of the popular classes that cater well to video game controls, and maybe have other classes be small pocket experiences like perhaps in DLC. I don't have a problem with this either... if a video game could encapsulate the immersion and diversity of a P&P RPG like Cyberpunk or VtM, there would be no more P&P RPGs... and I would be a sad middle aged white boy.

I was in no way suggesting that CDPR were following any of the classes for the game. Just where the old mechanics were and what will certainly be lost in a game that’s no longer about tense violence or social interactions for its core scenes.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Other class abilities:

I was in no way suggesting that CDPR were following any of the classes for the game. Just where the old mechanics were and what will certainly be lost in a game that’s no longer about tense violence or social interactions for its core scenes.

Oh yes, and I get that idea. But I personally don't find it that big a deal, because a video game isn't going to provide every experience you can get in a P&P RPG, only a specific story and aspect of it the video game wants to convey.

If it did convey every experience and class possible, there would be no need for Cyberpunk Red.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    No familiarity with Cyberpunk PnP's hacking, but god I hope it's better in the videogame than decking is in the Shadowrun games.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Other class abilities:

Oh yes, and I get that idea. But I personally don't find it that big a deal, because a video game isn't going to provide every experience you can get in a P&P RPG, only a specific story and aspect of it the video game wants to convey.

If it did convey every experience and class possible, there would be no need for Cyberpunk Red.

Considering how everyone talks about CP3.0 I think the need for Red is gonna be real up in the air till we get some text :rotate:

Also I know it's terrible for triple A video games but I'd have loved if this huge budget had gone towards making a weird, proc gen blades in the dark style meta game in which meets and crimes were a never ending wheel of terrible consequences.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Thought better of it.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    When it comes to games based on a PnP property I am of two minds.

1) As mentioned before in this thread I too am of the opinion that if your game is going to be isometric party based then yeah I'd like the game to be as faithful as they can be while still considering the overall flow of gameplay. Temple of Elemental Evil is a great example of this done superbly well. Hell, my dream DnD CRPG is one that is as faithful to the rules as ToEE was while including the module designer and DM role of NWNs.

2) If the game is going to not be isometric party based but instead be first or third person then I want the game to feel like I'm in the world of the tabletop. I don't need all the mechanics and options, I just need to feel like, "Yeah this is exactly what the world looks and feels like!" While not based on a PnP game, Dragon's Dogma is actually a really good example of this. The director himself stated that he didn't want his world to feel like you were playing a PnP game, but that you were actually in the world of a PnP game. I'd say he largely succeeded on that front.

Based on what I've seen and read about CP2077 I'd say they've likely succeeded at number 2.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I'd love a big isometric cyberpunk rpg.
    Make it openworld, with procedurally generated content.
    The shadowrun games are fun, but they are too tied to the main plot, when for me the story should be largely about the character surviving, and even enjoying, the world.

Hopefully CP2077 won't be too tightly scripted, give me a world i can immerse myself to, instead of a single story to play through, even if you have several ways to go through it.