As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post a cool historical fact

FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Social Entropy++
history is full of tidbits that range from "pretty rad" to "fucking mindblowing man". i, like many of you, sometimes end up in JSTOR or wikipedia or wherever else for hours at a time hoovering up irrelevant historical factoids for my own personal edification

so i dunno, post something cool about history

here is something cool - Rabban Bar Sauma, a Christian mongol from beijing in the 1200s, travelled all the way from Beijing to Bordeux, then back to Baghdad where he died in 1294. the wikipedia map of his journeys really helps emphasize just how incredible they were, travelling across the known world on horseback

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabban_Bar_Sauma

today we tend to think of marco polo as the "discoverer" of china and of the east as a land totally detached from european affairs, but that's becoming more and more ambiguous as time goes on. for me the idea of someone travelling from china to france or portugal to thailand long before the invent of even steam power is freaking cray cray

what blows your minds

reposig.jpg
Fandyien on

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That's really neat, fandy.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    hitler was actually gay

mlyp

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    hitler was actually gay

mlyp

BI7Wf.jpg

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The person who founded the city I live in and has various schools and whatnots named after him, Edward Cornwallis, issued a bounty for the scalps of local First Nations. Men, women and children.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I was born on July 3rd, 1984 and the world has become a much more awesome place since.

Fact.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    the melting point of ethanol is -173 F and the boiling point is 173 F

it's been that way all throughout history

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    here is another cool fact: the timurid empire, which was the progenitor of the mughal empire, was an early effective example of a bifurcated system; the ruling class was predominately persian and a heavy contributor to the islamic golden age, but most of their military was composed of turkic mongols

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    Ben Franklin loved to fuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABFQ-T3uAVI

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Jacques Necker was the French economic minister who was ALSO a banker and he had horrible policies wherein he loaned money from his business, and kept taxes insanely low
    the people of France loved him, of course
    because of his policies the economy was in the toilet, so the king fired him
    because of this, the people attacked the Bastille and BAM the french revolution started
    and then after the new government formed, he was brought back on, and his ideas were still terrible, and he was fired again

also, Jacques Necker helped buy a necklace for a woman who claimed to be the queen while he was economic minister, but it turned out that she was an imposter

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Who doesn't though?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    three of the five greatest anthropogenic events in terms of death toll took place exclusively in china and WWI is not in the top five

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Salem Witch trials may well have been sparked by a wave of ergot poisoning

ergot is a hallucinogen and it grows primarily on rye in damp land. The Salem community mostly ate ryebread made from local produce which was grown in damp fields, and it is highly likely that there was ergot in their bread. Ergot builds up and has a LSD-like effect on the local populace.

As a result, it is possible a lot of the people who claimed they saw spiritual disturbances and went into strange seizures may actually not have been faking it, as was long suspected!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    William Lyon Mackenzie King was Canada's longest serving Prime Minister, serving non-consecutively for 22 years.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Privately, he was highly eccentric with his preference for communing with spirits, including those of Leonardo da Vinci, Sir Wilfrid Laurier, his dead mother, and several of his Irish Terrier dogs, all named Pat except for one named Bob. He also claimed to commune with the spirit of the late President Roosevelt. He sought personal reassurance from the spirit world, rather than seeking political advice. Indeed, after his death, one of his mediums said that she had not realized that he was a politician. King asked whether his party would win the 1935 election, one of the few times politics came up during his seances. His occult interests were kept secret during his years in office, and only became publicized later. Historians have seen in his occult activities a penchant for forging unities from antitheses, thus having latent political import. In 1953 Time stated that he owned—and used—both an Ouija board and a crystal ball.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.

• Options
    world war II was started at the time that it was because of economic reasons

even after schacht's Mefo bills the government was quickly running out of time, and austria and czechoslovakia just so happened to be two of the world's wealthiest countries in terms of gold and foreign currency reserves

so until september 1939 it was less of a war and more of a central bank robbery spree

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    That big fancy cloak Kamehameha I wore is made out of like 450,000 feathers about the size of a dime.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Corbett_(hunter)

Between 1907 and 1938, Corbett tracked and shot a documented 19 tigers and 14 leopards — a total of 33 recorded and documented man-eaters. It is claimed that these big cats had killed more than 1,200 men, women and children. The first tiger he killed, the Champawat Tiger in Champawat, was responsible for 436 documented deaths. He also shot the Panar Leopard, which allegedly killed 400 people.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    Mao Zedong had one working testicle

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I love

Drunk History

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Also during the early modern period (I forget when exactly, part of me thinks sometime in the 17th century), in Paris, situations were pretty hard for the poor citizens of the city. Food was short and poverty, already widespread, was on the rise.

dissatisfied with their situation but unable to really do anything about it, some poor Parisians vented their frustrations in a very unusual way. See, due to cats use when it came to catching vermin and so on, Parisian cats were often fed proportionately more than the people in the streets outside! This meant that a lot of well fed cats could be seen slinking around the city's poorer areas. This made the poor people mad.

So one day, they decided to punish the cats for their gluttony, and held widespread cat trials.

Cats were "arrested," put on trial, accused, they had defenses and everything, and those found guilty of being greedy were put to death

the Parisians knew that this was ridiculous, of course. But they did it anyway to let off steam. When asked about it, one man said it was the most fun he'd ever had in his life!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    There's a city in the middle of London called The City of London
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrObZ_HZZUc

• Options
    between 1871 and 1914 the german empire received more nobel prizes in physics and chemistry than great britain, france, the united states and russia put together

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on the same day. Adams' last words were "Thomas Jefferson still survives." He had no way of knowing that Jefferson had died hours earlier. The day they died was July 4, 1826, the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    in the beginning there was nothing, which exploded

this has been regarded by many as a very bad move

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Between 1907 and 1938, Corbett tracked and shot a documented 19 tigers and 14 leopards — a total of 33 recorded and documented man-eaters. It is claimed that these big cats had killed more than 1,200 men, women and children. The first tiger he killed, the Champawat Tiger in Champawat, was responsible for 436 documented deaths. He also shot the Panar Leopard, which allegedly killed 400 people.

you read cracked eh

• Options
    Fandyien wrote: »
    three of the five greatest anthropogenic events in terms of death toll took place exclusively in china and WWI is not in the top five

Relevant wiki please

• Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular

you read cracked eh

maybe? I read about this guy years ago, it may have been from cracked

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Hobnail wrote: »

Relevant wiki please

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_anthropogenic_disasters_by_death_toll

e: note also that WWII caused 20+ million civilian deaths in china, I don't know if that's on there twice

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    this is gonna be the cracked/qi thread so we should just accept it and move on with the facts

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Viking warlord Sigurd the Mighty of Orkney died because the tooth of a decapitated head he had tied to his saddle grazed against his leg and caused an infection.

Which I learned reading this list.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Cinco De Mayo is not Mexico's independence day, but actually a celebration of La Batalla de Puebla
    The Battle of Puebla took place on 5 May 1862 near the city of Puebla during the French intervention in Mexico. The battle ended in a victory for the Mexican Army over the occupying French forces.

The Battle of Puebla was an inspirational event for wartime Mexico, and it provided a stunning revelation to the rest of the world which had largely expected a rapid victory for French arms.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    who the hell cares where you learn stuff from, anyway

if it's cool it's cool

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i am from.... HISTORY!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    29 years ago today was when an unassuming bread truck full of explosives drove into a US Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. Thought this was interesting considering there was just recently another bad bombing in Beirut.

• Options
    In ancient Ireland sucking a king's nipples was a show of submission

It is beleived that a bog-preseved body found in 2010, had it's nipples cut off so he couldn't be a king.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    in 1698, Peter the Great of Russia ordered men to shave off their beards, and in 1705 levied a tax on beards in order to bring Russian society more in line with contemporary Western Europe.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Arang wrote: »

Relevant wiki please

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_anthropogenic_disasters_by_death_toll

e: note also that WWII caused 20+ million civilian deaths in china, I don't know if that's on there twice

If anyone's interested in good, sourced information on death tolls, I can direct them to this site. It's not a pleasant read though.

Platy on
  • Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    In Edinburgh, taxes used to be based on the number of windows you had in your house, so poor houses would board up all their windows to pay less tax. You can still see evidence of this if you go to the old 'poor' areas of Edinburgh.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    in 1698, Peter the Great of Russia ordered men to shave off their beards, and in 1705 levied a tax on beards in order to bring Russian society more in line with contemporary Western Europe.

History's greatest monster

• Options
    Arang wrote: »

Relevant wiki please

If anyone's interested in good, sourced information on death tolls, I can direct them to this site. It's not a pleasant read though.

Merci buckets you both

This discussion has been closed.