As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Industry Thread] I shall call him...Mini Wii.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    The big problem right now is that I'm never buying a single first party Vita game again. It will eventually be a plus game. Hell I'm doubting even buying P4G and various catalog games.

I'm just buying physical copies. If a game ends up being free through plus, then hey, now I have a digital version too. Unless you were planning on going digital-only, I don't see why it's a big deal.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • ubersmurfubersmurf Registered User regular
    I like the Spike VGAs for one thing: sufficiently enraging /v/ (pre-split) to start the /v/GAs - the skits were crap but Duke made a good presenter, even if it turned into a Steam lovefest.

Should I avoid mentioning wretched internet hives of scum and villainy here?

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Will that kind of market sustain game sales, though? Cable channels still have to run ads to support themselves, and cable shows are produced on a budget - hell, they even need to do the whole bundle thing rather than a la carte to shore up the less profitable channels.

What you are basically describing is a Spotify/OnLive kind of deal. Who makes money on that kind of arrangement? Especially if the content delivery vehicle is sold at a loss...

... Damn. I bet Microsoft is heading this way with their subsidized Xbox. Xbox = the future Comcast box.

Onlive had the disadvantage on relying on streaming though (and also having a general weak catalog of games in their subscription service). You make the player pay for the system itself and then you can just have them download the games like you do with PS+. Minimal cost in conveying the games - most of the cost would be in convincing developers to put their games on your system.

And yeah, Xbox Live is already swamped with advertising. There's no reason to expect this will do anything but increase as time goes on.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I think I'd be comfortable paying 10-15 bucks a month for the "Playstation Channel" or "XBox Channel". Just all the content available, and then new stuff that gets release each month that is a few months old at retail and already lost it's sales drive. Playstation Plus could really use the rebranding at this point since they've already got the service in place. Even on enthusiast forums like this one and GAF when someone posts a great Plus deal several dozen people have to ask exactly how it works. That's just awful marketing.

Games nowadays are throwaway experiences for the most part outside of a half-dozen games a year. And even then are you going to want to play Mass Effect 2 in 10 years when Mass Effect: Reanimator 4 is out for Playstation 5 and completely mind-blowing? I think that Peter Moore guy had an interview last week that nailed it where he talked about how nobody is going to want to play these games 10 years from now, but they'll like the ACCESS to play it for 15 minutes, reminisce, and be done with it.

The key is to get those channels in place now so it's not even something we think about going forward. You just subscribe and get a fuckton of content and that's how it goes.

Allforce on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Well, I'm probably not going to want to play Mass Effect 2 in 10 years, but that's a separate issue.

Frankly, the idea that people are hugely into playing their older 'classic' games is a massive stretch. (Also, BC is a hustle.) And I say that as a person who practically schedules games to re-play throughout the year. But, as an example, I still play (or try to) Grim Fandango every year. It's blocky, graphic tears are a feature, and I'm lucky the damned thing works on newer machines. It's a fifteen year-old game and I'd all but kill somebody to get a XBL release for it.

So, yes. Somebody will want to play ME2 in 10 years. Just like many people still replay whatever super awesome game they liked just to get a minor thrill from it.

Oh, and there is no chance in hell publishers will sign on for a cut of 'ten or fifteen bucks' a month to just dump their no longer selling titles. They'd rather take a chance that somebody buys a real copy somewhere, sometime. And if nobody does? That's what out-of-print is invented for.

You want cheap, 'older' games to play? Gamefly. The used section of your local games store. Bargain bins. Etc. If you want value for you money, work for it.

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Allforce wrote: »
    I think I'd be comfortable paying 10-15 bucks a month for the "Playstation Channel" or "XBox Channel". Just all the content available, and then new stuff that gets release each month that is a few months old at retail and already lost it's sales drive. Playstation Plus could really use the rebranding at this point since they've already got the service in place. Even on enthusiast forums like this one and GAF when someone posts a great Plus deal several dozen people have to ask exactly how it works. That's just awful marketing.

Games nowadays are throwaway experiences for the most part outside of a half-dozen games a year. And even then are you going to want to play Mass Effect 2 in 10 years when Mass Effect: Reanimator 4 is out for Playstation 5 and completely mind-blowing? I think that Peter Moore guy had an interview last week that nailed it where he talked about how nobody is going to want to play these games 10 years from now, but they'll like the ACCESS to play it for 15 minutes, reminisce, and be done with it.

The key is to get those channels in place now so it's not even something we think about going forward. You just subscribe and get a fuckton of content and that's how it goes.

Eh, I still have a shelf of games 10 years old that I'm replaying, and I've bought games recently older than I've yet to play. The idea that gaming is this strictly linear progression, and that older games are transmuted into anti-fun when they are replaced by their sucessors is a bizzare one, for games, and everything else.

Even when it comes to graphics, I don't see myself being put off by aged textures and some rough animations. I still think Max Payne 2 looks good. Chrono Trigger too for matter. The PS1/N64 is only gen that's aged poorly, and I thought most of those games looked like shit at the time. And Doom 3 too, of course. Ever since then, games have looked pretty much like you want them to look, and the difference is art direction.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Plenty of older game are as worthwhile for sheer nostalgia as the fact that plenty of them have experiences that you just can't get in anything else. Sure, we've got a new Deus Ex now, but it is definitely not on par with the original in plenty of ways. Beyond Good and Evil is basically one of a kind. Republic Commando? Plenty of games have tried to have squad-based stuff, but it's one of the only games I know of where your squadmates are actually just as awesome and capable as you, not to mention fully able to mop up almost any threat the squad faces before automatically coming back to revive you.

Considering the effort it would take to digitally archive this stuff these days, it'd be silly not to set something up so people could continue to play it practically forever.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2012
    If the industry thread goes away, which it may at some point here depending on Waluigi, I think we will start seeing threads like those. But I think the discussion would still be pretty level-headed!
    We shall see!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Glu Mobile closes Brazil office in restructuring
    Kirkland and San Francisco offices also see employees laid off

Glu Mobile has confirmed the closure of its San Paulo, Brazil office and additional layoffs in its Kirkland, Washington and San Francisco, California offices. Glu told GamesBeat that the closures were the result of a “restructuring”.

“As mentioned during our earnings call on November 2, Glu will be holding total R&D investment flat between 2012 & 2013. In order to do so and increase our monetization oversight we must rebalance our R&D function globally,” the company said in a statement to GamesBeat. “Today we enacted a restructuring which has led to our President of Studios assuming direct control of our Kirkland office. As part of this global studio rebalancing we have reduced headcount by approximately 25 percent in Kirkland and 5 percent in San Francisco.”

“In order to enhance Glu's global development efficiency and promote continued growth, we will also be closing our Sao Paulo office and concentrating resources in our other six locations. Over the coming 12 months we will be adding the necessary monetization and server-side research-and-development resources to support our focus on increasing average revenue per daily active user company-wide.”

Glu Mobile's revenue for the third quarter was $21.2 million with a non-GAAP net loss of $1.6 million. This put revenue for Q3 2012 $3.4 million higher than Q3 2011, but losses were also greater by $300,000.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Bioshock is 2K games, not Ubisoft.

I seriously doubt Bioshock Vita will be happening, and not just because of the poor Vita system sales. There's obviously something very wrong over there given all of the major staff members that have been quitting the Bioshock team of late.

That's the Bioshock Infinite team, isn't the Vita team different? And people quit near the end of development all the time. Check out how many people left Bungie as Halo 2 finished up, not exactly a disaster.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Also, Ubisoft has to be considering cancelling Bioshock Vita at this point. From the few reports we have had, it hasn't actually started production. Or they could just turn the "unique" experience Levine has said he wanted to provide into a hacking minigame spinoff.

Bioshock is 2K games, not Ubisoft.

I seriously doubt Bioshock Vita will be happening, and not just because of the poor Vita system sales. There's obviously something very wrong over there given all of the major staff members that have been quitting the Bioshock team of late.

I'm very intrigued to see whether or not the PS+ Vita stuff helps system sales. Starting next week, a PS+ subscription in the US gets you 18 "free" games with new games regularly rotating in and old games staying yours as long as you subscribe. How long will it be before we see a console that completely embraces this kind of system and creates the cable TV equivalent for video games? Buy a PS5, pay say $50/month, and gain access to the system's entire library for as long as you pay your subscription fees. Instead of selling their games directly to gamers, companies would sell their games directly the system owners who would pay them with the money they're making from subscription fees.

If infinite is really on course for a spring release, they must have been scaling down on a lot of the production aspects for months. Especially for stuff like the artists, which I believe was the last major person who left

steam_sig.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Bioshock Vita team is still unannounced. At least it can't be Nihilistic anymore.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Some numbers on the PS3 and move:
    Tokyo, November 16, 2012–Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the cumulative sales of the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system reached a milestone of 70 million units*1 worldwide as of November 4, 2012 – less than six years after the platform launched in 2006. SCE also announced that sales of the PlayStation®Move motion controller surpassed 15 million units*1 worldwide as of November 11, demonstrating continued growth and momentum of the PS3® platform.

The PS3® system has delivered high quality, award-winning entertainment experiences since its launch. Throughout its lifecycle, the PS3® system has continued to evolve with more streamlined design, larger Hard Disk Drive (HDD) capacity, and new features through software updates. In September 2012, SCE launched the new PS3® system, which has a reduced volume and weight of more than 50 percent compared to the original PS3® model, and of 25 percent and 20 percent respectively compared to the slim PS3® model launched in 2009. The new PS3® has been well received by consumers around the world.

Along with the introduction of PS3® in November 2006, SCE launched PlayStation®Network, which now operates in 59 countries and regions*2 around the world. PlayStation®Network supports free community-centric online gameplay, exclusive games from independent developers and major publishers, and a broad range of entertainment applications across movies, music, and sports. PS3® owners can access 170,000 downloadable digital content including 57,000 game content worldwide from PlayStation®Network*3. In October 2012, SCE redesigned PlayStation®Store for PS3®, offering a more streamlined and accessible store experience, including a stunning new user interface, simple search, and powerful content discovery. The new store is now available in Europe and North and Latin America with more countries and regions to follow.

PlayStation®Plus, the subscription service package on PlayStation®Store that offers exclusive benefits such as discounts on games or online storage for game saves, started to offer an “Instant Game Collection” in North America and Europe in July 2012. The Instant Game Collection enables PS Plus members to enjoy popular titles from third party developers and publishers as well as SCE Worldwide Studios at no extra cost. SCE has also enhanced the content offering for PS Plus members in Japan in November.

Introduced in September 2010, the PlayStation®Move motion controller that enables users to intuitively play games is now supported by a wide range of titles with more than 400 as of November 2012, including Sports Champions, Everybody's Golf 5, and Sorcery (Sony Computer Entertainment). Additionally, this month marks the global launch of Wonderbook™, a new peripheral that delivers the next evolution of storytelling and a unique experience exclusively on PS3®. Wonderbook*4 uses the PlayStation®Eye camera to take augmented reality to spectacular new places, while drawing players into new worlds and allowing them to interact with stories as they tilt or rotate it, or simply turn the pages*5.

PS3® has gained tremendous support from 3rd party developers and publishers worldwide. Cumulative number of software titles for PS3® reached 3,590 with more than 595 million units sold worldwide*6. More exciting and attractive new titles are to be released from third party developers and publishers as well as SCE Worldwide Studios, including RYU-GA-GOTOKU 5 (SEGA Corporation), Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (TECMO KOEI GAMES CO.,LTD.) towards the holiday season. In addition, software titles that support “cross platform feature” such as Everybody's Golf 6, LittleBigPlanet 2: Cross Controller Pack(Sony Computer Entertainment) are also expected to be released. With these titles, SCE will deliver a ground-breaking gaming experience by leveraging the capabilities of both PS3® and PlayStation®Vita.

SCE will continue to further expand the PS3® platform and create a world of computer entertainment that is only possible on PlayStation®.

*1 Sell-in number

*2 As of September 30, 2012.

*3 As of November 14, 2012.

*4 Title which only needs PS Eye and Wonderbook to enjoy will become available.

*5 Wonderbook launced on November 13 in North America and on November 14 in Europe/PAL territories.

*6 As of September 30, 2012.

The Wii U version of Mass Effect 3 surely is the definite version without any issues right...er....
    Without question, it has a few issues. This version of ME3 seems a lot less visually stable than, say, the Xbox 360 version -- the frame rate is choppier, the animation seems rougher. The audio suffers, too; while the music and sound effects have come over fine, all the dialogue has a hollow, echoing quality to it. The GamePad's analog sticks aren't as comfortable as the 360's, and the placement of the face buttons relative to the right stick made me continually miss the melee and reload buttons. My headshot ratio has dropped precipitously. It's tragic.

Now, the Wii U Controller Pro rectifies some of these control issues -- it's pretty much a 360 controller, and it works great. But the problem there is that you lose the GamePad features if you use the Pro, and the GamePad is actually used pretty well here. By default, it serves as a quick skill-select menu or live map display (yes, just like a DS game), and the developers have added some neat details -- for instance, during the prologue sequence, the map display breaks up and distorts momentarily whenever a Reaver in the distance fires an energy blast. There was some actual thought put into this port, which is always nice to see.

The real advantage to the GamePad, however, is the fact that the game looks much better on its smaller screen. I don't know if it's the flaws being obscured by the pad's screen when they're shown more clearly on the higher-performance LCD of an HDTV, or if it's simply a benefit of the pad's lower resolution requiring the system to render fewer polygons, but the game plays noticeably smoother on the GamePad screen. The stiffness of the characters doesn't come across as readily, and the compactness of the visuals makes the environments seem far more beautiful and detailed.

Another trade-off: The Wii U version comes with all the collector's edition exclusive content on-disc already (though not high-end DLC like Leviathan), but much of the subtlety of the game is lost due to the lack of support for Mass Effect 1 and 2 save files. The game kicks off with a 20-minute digital comic that allows you to make key choices to shape the plot, just like the PlayStation 3 version of Mass Effect 2, but the most interesting moments in ME3 came as outcomes of smaller choices that aren't included in this prologue. So while you'll still shape the outcome of, say, Tali's major plot arc, you'll never know the pleasure of helping Conrad Verner find true happiness.

It kind of kills me that BioWare is releasing the Mass Effect Trilogy collection for other platforms in a couple of weeks -- why not Wii U, too? As such, ME3 for Wii U is anything but the definitive version; the best experience is still on PC or 360. But the GamePad makes this an interesting take on the game, and for those who believe in staying monogamous to Nintendo platforms, it's at long last a chance to get a taste of one of the biggest (and most contentious!) series of this generation. Just be aware you'll never get to experience the original ending that so many people hated -- with Wii U, you're stuck with the updated, less-terrible finale.

• V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    PS3: And the last horse crosses the finish line... or, 70 mil mark. On to 80! (360 hit that last month I believe)

And EA gonna EA.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Well, I wasn't gonna get ME3 anyway (no interest in the series), but...good job I guess, EA.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Interesting how that Sony article was happy to give numbers for everything.... and then when Move came up, numbers were conveniently not important any more. I seriously doubt the install base for Move is even past 5%, they've only ever given total Move units sold, which ignored the fact that many people buying into Move bought two controllers.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Eh, 15 million Move controllers have been sold. It is just that even assuming each of those controllers is in the hands of a different person, that is a 20 percent attach rate for the 70 million PS3 users. That is good enough for a peripheral, but I don't know what Sony's expectations were. Either way a 20 percent attach rate isn't good enough to get companies to use it in any significant way except as something to hand off to their B-teams to crap out something.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-16-zynga-ceo-near-tears-over-companys-dive
    Mark Pincus is working hard to keep Zynga from dying

Apple director Bill Campbell has told the Wall Street Journal that Zynga chief executive officer Mark Pincus is “discouraged” over the company's current standing. Campbell met with Pincus at a meeting set up by Zynga investor Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, in the hopes that the Silicon Valley veteran could help Pincus become a stronger business leader. Campbell told the Wall Street Journal that the Zynga CEO was near tears during the discussion of how to turn around the company.

Zynga's fortunes are way down, with the company recently losing its chief financial officer and treasurer.

“Rapid change in player habits and social technologies have dictated fundamental changes at Zynga. And when businesses change, it's inevitable that some people will choose to leave,” Pincus said to the Wall Street Journal when asked about recent management departures.

With the recent changes in Zynga's management team, Pincus is attempting to transition the company over to a mobile model, offering more control to his executive team in the process. Kleiner Perkins partner and Zynga board member Bing Gordon believes that the company should have focused on mobile development much sooner.

"Mobile turned out to be more different than anyone expected, in terms of monetization and also user experience," he said.

Many changes are recent, so it remains to be seen if Zynga can turn itself around. As of this writing Zynga stock sits at $2.29 per share, a far cry from the $10 IPO earlier this year.
    tumblr_md4pnvaVyr1qis0i9o1_400.gif
    Yes, yes. His tears feed me.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/npd-us-digital-sales-spike-during-q3/0106545
    The NPD Group has released a Q3 report for digital sales in the US, revealing the growing portion of the market accounted for $1.4bn during the period.

The total counts sales from full game and add-on content downloads, mobile and social games, and subscriptions, which added to new and used retail sales during the period brings the overall consumer spend to $2.87bn for the quarter.

The figure represents a 22 per cent year-over-year increase in total digital spending as well.

“When including overall consumer content spending across both digital and physical formats in Q3 2012, there was a positive story for the industry,” NPD analyst Liam Callahan said.

“Despite declines in physical format spending of 16 percent from Q3 2011, strong growth in digital format spending, up 22 percent, helped offset this decline and led to 1 percent decline in content spending from the same quarter last year. Mobile App spending, digital full game downloads, and downloadable add-on content were the areas within digital format spending that helped drive this increase.”
    Would really be nice if we had a break down in how much of the digital sales were mobile app spending, digital game downloads, and DLC.

Couscous on
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/black-ops-ii-beats-modern-warfare-3-with-500m-sales-in-first-24-hours/0106563
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II has sold an estimated $500m worth of units in tis first 24 hours.

That beats the $400m made by last year’s Modern Warfare 3 in the same period.

What hasn’t been revealed, though, is how many units the game sold. Modern Warfare 3 managed 6.5m units in its first day. Black Ops II’s unit sales remain a victory.

“With first day sales of over half a billion dollars worldwide, we believe Call of Duty is the biggest entertainment launch of the year for the fourth year in a row,” Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick stated.

“Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise have exceeded worldwide theatrical box office receipts for Harry Potter and Star Wars, the two most successful movie franchises of all time. Given the challenged macro-economic environment, we remain cautious about the balance of 2012 and 2013.”

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    On the "Mass Effect 3 doesn't work too well on the WiiU, and why aren't they releasing the trilogy on it anyway" bit, well.. I think one answers the other. If they've had problems getting one game, the most recent and stable version, to run on the WiiU at this kind of notice (since it wasn't designed for the hardware I imagine they've had issues porting it over, which I can understand), having to do all three in the same time? Yeah, good luck with that.

forumsig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Reading about the Zynga CEO's emotional state actually brings me down quite a bit and I feel like a bit of a tool for being hard on the company. But there's always the chance for crocodile tears.

Henroid wrote: »
    Reading about the Zynga CEO's emotional state actually brings me down quite a bit and I feel like a bit of a tool for being hard on the company. But there's always the chance for crocodile tears.

If it makes it any better, you can think of it as the market disciplining him like a naughty child for running his company like an ass. He'll cry and sit on the naughty step, and either learn from it and come back better, or be put up for adoption.

forumsig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

If it makes it any better, you can think of it as the market disciplining him like a naughty child for running his company like an ass. He'll cry and sit on the naughty step, and either learn from it and come back better, or be put up for adoption.

Perhaps, and maybe he's really just an honest dude who had a huge idea and was lead astray or made mistakes.

I'll do this. Depending on how he decides to turn things around, I'll decide on what his intent or emotional reaction was based on. If he doubles down on the stupid, I can put it out of mind. If he somehow makes a turn for a fair and honest business model, then hey, maybe we're mistaken about the dude.

I'm feeling sick this morning so maybe my empathy is in overdrive.

edited November 2012

I prefer to think of it as an old fairy tale. The kind that usually ends horribly because someone did something wrong. I am a terrible person.

In Vita news, there is a one month Vita price drop to 200 euros for some European countries like Spain and Italy.

Couscous on

Perhaps, and maybe he's really just an honest dude who had a huge idea and was lead astray or made mistakes.

I'll do this. Depending on how he decides to turn things around, I'll decide on what his intent or emotional reaction was based on. If he doubles down on the stupid, I can put it out of mind. If he somehow makes a turn for a fair and honest business model, then hey, maybe we're mistaken about the dude.

What if I told you he has twin daughters bother suffering from severe dyskinetic cerebral palsy?

What if I told you he has twin daughters bother suffering from severe dyskinetic cerebral palsy?

If he jumps out the window in the case that Zynga goes belly up, I'm killing myself too. Fuck.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

'Honest' and 'Zynga' do not go well together. The company has been built on ripping off other people's work wholesale from day one and there's no way this guy was unaware of that fact.

Watch them crash and burn be satisfied that justice has been done.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KryhsKryhs Registered User regular

All that does is make me feel for his daughters. I'll wait and see what he does as well, but historically he's been nothing but a douche loser.

edited November 2012
    The guy will probably still come out of this rich even if everything goes belly up unless he was stupid enough not to make sure to get very good pay and never sell any of the stock. The employees? Probably fucked.

Couscous on

If he jumps out the window in the case that Zynga goes belly up, I'm killing myself too. Fuck.

Ok, well he doesn't (that I know of), so don't get too crazy.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The guy will probably still come out of this rich even if everything goes belly up unless he was stupid enough not to make sure to get very good pay and never sell any of the stock. The employees? Probably fucked.

This is my suspicion as to why it went public to begin with. He probably has a nice fat severance package so he strolls off to retirement right before the company completely craters.

I'm just not into kicking someone when they're down, because I've been there. Even if it's someone in charge of a corrupt entity. It takes a lot for me to continue the, "Pfft, fuck off" thing.

Don't get me wrong though, Zynga still has been a corrupt business. Where you guys see laughter I see a shot for redemption or nailing currently-existing perceptions to the wall.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm just not into kicking someone when they're down, because I've been there. Even if it's someone in charge of a corrupt entity. It takes a lot for me to continue the, "Pfft, fuck off" thing.

Don't get me wrong though, Zynga still has been a corrupt business. Where you guys see laughter I see a shot for redemption or nailing currently-existing perceptions to the wall.

Unfortunately the CEO of a given company running out the door with a fat sack of money and all the copper wire he can carry has been the rule more often than the exception, so you're probably not going to find too many people subscribing to that ideology - even with a sob story about his daughters. I think the only way anyone will be convinced is after the fact, whether he actually turns the company around and decides to run it properly, or is spit out the bottom of it without a penny. Even then, it will just become a case of "oh, there was that one guy" rather than any change in public perception towards these kinds of companies.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I want to feel sorry for Mark P, but I'm out of shits to give for today.

...unless I invite 5 more facebook friends to Giveashitville.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    The dude isn't upset the company is going under. He's upset because he isn't making any more money off of it.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I can't give two shits about Zynga or the upper echelons of its management.

That doesn't mean I cannot empathize with the ordinary men and women trying to make an honest living underneath them, especially since they're the ones standing to suffer the most as the company tumbles.

urahonky wrote: »
    The dude isn't upset the company is going under. He's upset because he isn't making any more money off of it.

Okay, this is bringing me out of my funk. I swear being ill screws with my perception. Makes me more human.

edited November 2012
    Princus has been making shitloads while the company burns.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2012/10/05/zynga-keeps-crashing-but-mark-pincus-is-having-a-great-year/
    Mark Pincus’ move in April to sidestep lock-up provisions and dump $190 million of stock in Zynga in an unorthodox stock offering keeps looking worse. The CEO and co-founder of Zynga sold 16.5 million shares for $11.64 each four months after Zynga’s initial public offering priced for $10.
    All of this looks awful, but Pincus does not seem overly concerned with appearances. This past summer he bought an 11,500 square-foot house in San Francisco for $16 million.
    So what the fuck have the people the poached from more legit games company like EA been doing?

Couscous on
    Okay. Crocodile tears. Fuck Zynga. Yay I'm back guys.

Still, my question from earlier stands: If they're making plans to turn the company around, what's the route? Doubling-down on shit seems to be popular in the industry at the moment. Nintendo is doing it, MS is doing it, Sony is doing it... anyone else? Silicon Knights? Oh wait.

Princus has been making shitloads while the company burns.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2012/10/05/zynga-keeps-crashing-but-mark-pincus-is-having-a-great-year/
    Mark Pincus’ move in April to sidestep lock-up provisions and dump $190 million of stock in Zynga in an unorthodox stock offering keeps looking worse. The CEO and co-founder of Zynga sold 16.5 million shares for $11.64 each four months after Zynga’s initial public offering priced for $10.
    All of this looks awful, but Pincus does not seem overly concerned with appearances. This past summer he bought an 11,500 square-foot house in San Francisco for $16 million.
    So what the fuck have the people the poached from more legit games company like EA been doing?

Watching one number grow bigger, while another number races downwards in an attempt to gain enough force to break through 'zero' and chart new, undiscovered negative values.

forumsig.png
    I don't even know why someone like Pincus would continue to work at this point. I'd just take my 176 million dollars and ship out, leave it to someone else to deal with. What's the motivation?

I guess that's why I'm only a 7 digit millionaire and not a 9 digit one.