As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] I shall call him...Mini Wii.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    What would he possibly need with a 16 million dollar house?

I hope the property taxes are ridiculous and slowly drain him dry over the next few decades

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    What would he possibly need with a 16 million dollar house?

I hope the property taxes are ridiculous and slowly drain him dry over the next few decades

That tiny penis isn't going to compensate for itself.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, I didn't get an anniversary console, but I did get an e-mail from microsoft telling me that they'd be nothing without me. And that I was tagged as an "Elite" member of Live. Got a free avatar helmet too. My tenure is only at 6 years though, so I dunno. I'm assuming everyone is getting these e-mails. Pretty funny to read though... Its like "Go home Microsoft, you're drunk..."

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    "But ah looOOOoove you!"

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Reading about the Zynga CEO's emotional state actually brings me down quite a bit and I feel like a bit of a tool for being hard on the company. But there's always the chance for crocodile tears.

If it makes it any better, you can think of it as the market disciplining him like a naughty child for running his company like an ass. He'll cry and sit on the naughty step, and either learn from it and come back better, or be put up for adoption.

Remind me to never be your child.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    My email told me I was a 9 year member and all I got was the avatar hat too. Sucks because while I've lapsed here and there my Live account was created on day one. Mech Assault ftw.

Kryhs on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yay new studio!
    EA has officially named its Gothenburg studio Ghost. The studio’s official site went live today, noting that “we’re on the lookout for the best talent in the industry” and listing 16 open positions including artists, producers, engineers and more.

Interestingly, one of the open positions is for a vehicle artist, adding to earlier reports that the studio is working on a Need for Speed game.

Ghost's mission statement says it’s “working to create a world-class team of developers, an exceptional working environment and build the next big thing in AAA gaming.” The studio calls itself “a unique proposition in the AAA development space; all the agility and creativity of a start-up while working with industry giants like Criterion and DICE guarantee we have the tools and support to execute our creative and technical visions.”

Ghost’s site notes that EA chose Gothenburg “because of the plethora of highly talented game developers that can be found in that part of Sweden and its southern regions.” The studio is led by Marcus Nilsson, who previously worked as an executive producer at Battlefield developer DICE.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/14/ea-gothenburg-now-known-as-ghost

Not really sure how it's like a startup when it's making the 47th Need for Speed game, but still! Employment!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I thought Criterion was making the Need For Speed games now?

Edit: Well, I guess it isnt unheard of for different dev teams to make games in the same franchise.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    I don't even know why someone like Pincus would continue to work at this point. I'd just take my 176 million dollars and ship out, leave it to someone else to deal with. What's the motivation?

I guess that's why I'm only a 7 digit millionaire and not a 9 digit one.

Its just the Capitialist mentality. Enough is never enough, have to make more more more.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Maybe they're letting Criterion make another Burnout? :whistle:

(Yes, I know that Most Wanted is basically a successor to Burnout Paradise already)

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    Maybe they're letting Criterion make another Burnout? :whistle:

(Yes, I know that Most Wanted is basically a successor to Burnout Paradise already)

Yeah, but it isn't the same. I played the demo for MW, and it made me not purchase the game. I want a new Burnout. I don't want a NFS that's "like Burnout."

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Burnout was one of the few racing games I could play.

But I've always been more into the arcadey stuff like Burnout and Jet Moto.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It better not go bust. I don't want to hear the goddawful puns that will result.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I thought Criterion was making the Need For Speed games now?

Edit: Well, I guess it isnt unheard of for different dev teams to make games in the same franchise.

Since EA has stopped burning out people by forcing individual studios to repeatedly do yearly franchise releases, someone has to do years where the main studio isn't releasing a game in the franchise.

Because having years without a game in the franchise would be unthinkable.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So, I didn't get an anniversary console, but I did get an e-mail from microsoft telling me that they'd be nothing without me. And that I was tagged as an "Elite" member of Live. Got a free avatar helmet too. My tenure is only at 6 years though, so I dunno. I'm assuming everyone is getting these e-mails. Pretty funny to read though... Its like "Go home Microsoft, you're drunk..."

I got the same thing. Gee, thanks.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Well, I do think its a nice gesture(The helmet actually looks pretty neat too). I just find the actual e-mail to be funny. Like a drunken text from a buddy or ex.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Will that kind of market sustain game sales, though? Cable channels still have to run ads to support themselves, and cable shows are produced on a budget - hell, they even need to do the whole bundle thing rather than a la carte to shore up the less profitable channels.

What you are basically describing is a Spotify/OnLive kind of deal. Who makes money on that kind of arrangement? Especially if the content delivery vehicle is sold at a loss...

... Damn. I bet Microsoft is heading this way with their subsidized Xbox. Xbox = the future Comcast box.

That's actually quite genius. Offer a cable/satellite/internet TV service that doubles as a gaming console.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    So hey, the Vita is getting a price drop...for Black Friday.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/16/exclusive-black-friday-deals-for-ps3-and-ps-vita/

$199 for a Vita + a game (Assassin's Creed: Liberation, Call of Duty, or Lego Batman 2) and a 4GB memory card (except in the Lego Batman bundle for some reason).

So between this & PS+, Vita system sales in November confirmed to not be horrendous?

• Options
    Sony must be betting that they trick enough people to buy the CoD bundle.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Again, is Sony really advertising PS+ in any way outside of the enthusiast press? Seems to me they aren't, and that's baffling considering how good it is.

The only problem with the Vita Black Friday sale is that, well, everything else will be on sale and they'll be competing with the Wii U, which is starting to get a lot of attention. Also CoD Vita is horrible.

But I guess that's one way to get around the "we don't do price drops!" thing.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Again, is Sony really advertising PS+ in any way outside of the enthusiast press? Seems to me they aren't, and that's baffling considering how good it is.

The only problem with the Vita Black Friday sale is that, well, everything else will be on sale and they'll be competing with the Wii U, which is starting to get a lot of attention. Also CoD Vita is horrible.

I have never seen any type of advertisement for Playstation Plus. Honestly, if I didn't read boards like this or gaming news sites, I wouldn't even know what the fuck it was.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I have never seen any type of advertisement for Playstation Plus. Honestly, if I didn't read boards like this or gaming news sites, I wouldn't even know what the fuck it was.

Also it was a bit of a joke when it came out but now is quite a good deal. You'd think Sony would want to get the word out.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/16/exclusive-black-friday-deals-for-ps3-and-ps-vita/

$199 for a Vita + a game (Assassin's Creed: Liberation, Call of Duty, or Lego Batman 2) and a 4GB memory card (except in the Lego Batman bundle for some reason).

So between this & PS+, Vita system sales in November confirmed to not be horrendous?

4GB is not enough for anything

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Danny Trejo

and

Steve Wozniak

in

danny-trejo-vengeance-woz-poster.jpg
    No, it doesn't entirely make sense to us, either. And yet, here it is: Apple co-founder (and Segway enthusiast) Steve Wozniak is going to feature in an iOS game with action star Danny Trejo. ITN FLIX's and React Games' lengthily-worded Danny Trejo's Vengeance (Woz With A Coz) will have Woz trying to rescue his wife with Trejo's help, plowing through enemies with guns and, naturally, machetes. We're working to find out just what prompted the use of Woz's image for an out-of-character role -- other than an attempt at drumming up press for the game's Thanksgiving launch and a somewhat related 2013 movie, of course. There's no telling whether the title will be as fun as its concept is outlandish, although we might be swayed if Vengeance goes full circle with Woz and includes a Breakout mini-game.

Update: We got in touch with Woz, who notes that both he and his wife Janet offered themselves on a volunteer basis for the game, including voice work. A friend who knows the producer recommended the involvement, he says. As to how well it plays? While Woz can't say much before the game arrives, his top-level view is that it's "entertaining and FUN." That piques our interest, at least a bit.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

4GB is not enough for anything

You might be able to put maybe 2 games on it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The important thing is with 4GB you are actually able to have save files for all your games.

PSVita :rotate: :rotate: :rotate: :rotate: :rotate: :rotate:

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    I keep forgetting that Vita saves to the system and not the game card. It doesn't matter how long I've owned it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    C2B wrote: »
    Danny Trejo

and

Steve Wozniak

in

danny-trejo-vengeance-woz-poster.pg
    No, it doesn't entirely make sense to us, either. And yet, here it is: Apple co-founder (and Segway enthusiast) Steve Wozniak is going to feature in an iOS game with action star Danny Trejo. ITN FLIX's and React Games' lengthily-worded Danny Trejo's Vengeance (Woz With A Coz) will have Woz trying to rescue his wife with Trejo's help, plowing through enemies with guns and, naturally, machetes. We're working to find out just what prompted the use of Woz's image for an out-of-character role -- other than an attempt at drumming up press for the game's Thanksgiving launch and a somewhat related 2013 movie, of course. There's no telling whether the title will be as fun as its concept is outlandish, although we might be swayed if Vengeance goes full circle with Woz and includes a Breakout mini-game.

Update: We got in touch with Woz, who notes that both he and his wife Janet offered themselves on a volunteer basis for the game, including voice work. A friend who knows the producer recommended the involvement, he says. As to how well it plays? While Woz can't say much before the game arrives, his top-level view is that it's "entertaining and FUN." That piques our interest, at least a bit.

WTF?! o_O

Alternatively:That looks awesome!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Only one of those has a Metacratic score above 70. I know Sony probably wants to be nice to third parties, but packing in crap isn't going to help.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'm trying not to sound snarky because I really do feel this way. The PSP was my portable of choice. I have a DSLite, but the PSP had the games I wanted to play, and I liked being able to download games to memory stick too. So I'm already leaning toward a new Sony portable.

But Sony isn't giving me a reason to buy one, and it makes me sad. Even with this Black Friday sale, I don't want to play those games. Maybe I'm too used to the PSP's reputation as a mini-PS2 and haven for JRPGs. The Vita certainly isn't carrying that tradition.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    You should want to play AssCreed. It's great and deserves better props than it gets.

But yeah Lego Batman is the cut down DS version and CoD sucks, so...

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    You should want to play AssCreed. It's great and deserves better props than it gets.

But yeah Lego Batman is the cut down DS version and CoD sucks, so...

I wanted to, until I played AC3. I think 3 soured me on AC for a while.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, I'm wishing the PS Vita had more Tactics and RPGs like the PSP did. If they had a new Tactics Ogre game, or bless their hearts, a new Final Fantasy Tactics Lion War game, well....

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    I'm basically just in it for the port of a Playstation 2 game that I've already played, and the potential of telling people that I owned the Virtual Boy of 2011!

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

Well, I do think its a nice gesture(The helmet actually looks pretty neat too). I just find the actual e-mail to be funny. Like a drunken text from a buddy or ex.
    How do you even figure out how long you've been a member of xbox live?

• Options
    shadowane wrote: »

How do you even figure out how long you've been a member of xbox live?

If you select your avatar on your friends list, and then scroll to the right, it will bring up your profile that also displays your tenure.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    In that poster, Trejo looks more like a Klingon than usual.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Danny Trejo

and

Steve Wozniak

in

danny-trejo-vengeance-woz-poster.jpg

Annnnd, we now officially have something weirder than that Sour Patch Kids game.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm basically just in it for the port of a Playstation 2 game that I've already played, and the potential of telling people that I owned the Virtual Boy of 2011!

To which they will say

"What's a Virtual Boy?"
    Kids these days

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

To which they will say

"What's a Virtual Boy?"
    Kids these days

Oh you mean like Pinocchio?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA