As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Industry Thread] I shall call him...Mini Wii.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    walmart black friday deal for 4GB 360 gets an exclusive color:
    original.jpg

so the 360 went from white to black to glossy black to glossy white

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    It better not go bust. I don't want to hear the goddawful puns that will result.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I thought Criterion was making the Need For Speed games now?

Edit: Well, I guess it isnt unheard of for different dev teams to make games in the same franchise.

Since EA has stopped burning out people by forcing individual studios to repeatedly do yearly franchise releases, someone has to do years where the main studio isn't releasing a game in the franchise.

Because having years without a game in the franchise would be unthinkable.

That's not fair; EA has been pretty good about the SSX series.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'm basically just in it for the port of a Playstation 2 game that I've already played, and the potential of telling people that I owned the Virtual Boy of 2011!

To which they will say

"What's a Virtual Boy?"
    Kids these days

Oh you mean like Pinocchio?

That's far too clever a joke for anyone under 18 to come up with. Alternatively, they haven't seen/know about Pinocchio. But thinking about the original comment, is the Vita truly going to be the next Virtual Boy, or is it going to be the next N-Gage? A system that actually gets its shit together and get some good games out there, but too little too late and it crashes and burns and becomes synonymous with utter failure but there's always a couple folks on GAF and PA that make a thread about it reminding us it wasn't all bad news.

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Already asked this on the 3DS thread but there are no known 3DS XL deals on BF right? I heard Best Buy is selling the system for like 20 bucks cheaper than usual now.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    It better not go bust. I don't want to hear the goddawful puns that will result.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I thought Criterion was making the Need For Speed games now?

Edit: Well, I guess it isnt unheard of for different dev teams to make games in the same franchise.

Since EA has stopped burning out people by forcing individual studios to repeatedly do yearly franchise releases, someone has to do years where the main studio isn't releasing a game in the franchise.

Because having years without a game in the franchise would be unthinkable.

That's not fair; EA has been pretty good about the SSX series.

I just hope they're nice to us and don't bother rebooting the series every other year. NFS series being one of the worst about this.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Already asked this on the 3DS thread but there are no known 3DS XL deals on BF right? I heard Best Buy is selling the system for like 20 bucks cheaper than usual now.

Looks like you get Mario with it.

https://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/video+games/product/6917658/3ds+holiday+bundle

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Looks like you get Mario with it.

https://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/video+games/product/6917658/3ds+holiday+bundle

Shame that's not an XL.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Speaking of Black Friday, Sony's PS3 Black Friday sale is even better than the one for Vita: a 250GBer with the first two Uncharted games AND all the Infamous games, for $299 $199.

That Woz game sounds fantastic.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I can't wait to throw money at shit I don't need next Friday

Blendtec
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Speaking of Black Friday, Sony's PS3 Black Friday sale is even better than the one for Vita: a 250GBer with the first two Uncharted games AND all the Infamous games, for $299.

That IS a great deal. Damn.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    How did the PSPGo end up fairing? I always liked the design of the device and going completely disk free for a handheld seemed like a great idea. I've almost bought one many times but it fell off my radar. Are there even any left or did it die a quiet death?

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    It died a quiet death. You might find one online because nobody wants them, but not on a retail shelf.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Speaking of Black Friday, Sony's PS3 Black Friday sale is even better than the one for Vita: a 250GBer with the first two Uncharted games AND all the Infamous games, for $299.

Actually, it's for $199.

edited November 2012
    D'oh! Damn typo!

But yeah, damn fine deal. Damn shame it's just for one day.

cloudeagle on
    That's the sort of bundle that understands that the PS3 is on the very tail end of its lifespan. I think they should see strong sales off that. Unfortunately, they don't seem to realize that the Vita is basically in the same position despite being in year 1.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Pfff you call that a deal? I just got my PS3 Slimmer during the Mexican Black Friday for $3,999 pesos! (Pretty much $299 USD yaaay!)

Well then it's an even better deal. Four and a half great games and a system for $200.

Festival of Blood is the half-game, if you were wondering.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    (No games bundled)

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm skeptical how much a 1 day sale will "save" the vita sales

steam_sig.png
    You all remember that PA Halo/Mountain Dew strip, right? Well, it's pretty much an actual commercial now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSNu-unfMeU

Shadowfire
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Oh it won't save the Vita but it certainly can't hurt.

Isn't video game revenue hilariously skewed towards the end of the year though? Like November and December account for like a 33%-50% of total revenue for the year or something crazy like that?

Oh it won't save the Vita but it certainly can't hurt.

Isn't video game revenue hilariously skewed towards the end of the year though? Like November and December account for like a 33%-50% of total revenue for the year or something crazy like that?

Maybe not 50 percent, but yeah, everything gets a major boost those two months.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I'm basically just in it for the port of a Playstation 2 game that I've already played, and the potential of telling people that I owned the Virtual Boy of 2011!

To which they will say

"What's a Virtual Boy?"
    Kids these days

Oh you mean like Pinocchio?

That's far too clever a joke for anyone under 18 to come up with. Alternatively, they haven't seen/know about Pinocchio. But thinking about the original comment, is the Vita truly going to be the next Virtual Boy, or is it going to be the next N-Gage? A system that actually gets its shit together and get some good games out there, but too little too late and it crashes and burns and becomes synonymous with utter failure but there's always a couple folks on GAF and PA that make a thread about it reminding us it wasn't all bad news.

Virtual Boy was it's own beast. It's hard to liken any modern system to it. It was doomed to failure from concept.

I had one and while a few games were fun, the blistering headaches it gave me eventually got it shoved into a closet and totally lost. I honestly have no idea where that thing got to. I've turned my house upside down looking for it and my only conclusion is that the universe decided that such an abhorrent game system cannot exist and erased it completely.

It was a serious step back from the Gamegear which was actually portable and offered full, backlit colour. Luckily I got it used for fairly cheap, but I regretted spending any money on it rather quickly.

steam_sig.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

I'm sure it won't fix the sales, I think the system could be seeing an early death if things don't improve substantially at least in one territory for them. With that said if I had the extra cash I'd be grabbing a Vita on Friday. I actually really like my Go and my love of Wipeout and Hot Shots Golf makes me want one.

When the Vita was announced, I promised myself I would wait until the first redesign before getting one. Not sure that's going to happen this time.

But damnit I want to play Gravity Rush.

The theoretical interested PSVita buyer has been waiting to buy one since E3, when they announced that all the current Vita SKUs of the time would be replaced with bundle SKUs for the same price in about 5 months from the time of the announcement. Then, once those finally came out, why not just go ahead and wait for black friday? You've already been waiting half a year.*

*That is assuming anyone was so excited about a Vita that they'd actually think about it for 6 months without just deciding "eh, fuck it."

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

Actually, it's for $199.

That's a great deal, I was actually contemplating going out and getting it. Until I remembered that Black Friday crowds are awful and there's almost certainly going to be new systems coming next year, so how much use would it actually get.

I feel sorry for anyone who gets sucked into a Vita deal next week though.

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I was kind of on board for a Vita, but was waiting for AC. Then I bought a house and have a baby on the way, so I kind of can't justify it.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Vita deal is a good deal if you want what is already out on the Vita and can't wait for the inevitable 2013 price drop. The line up next year is so far pretty barren.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Too bad the resell value on AC:L is so low.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Too bad the resell value on AC:L is so low.

Yeah, strangely Amazon only offers like $11 for trade-in.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    You all remember that PA Halo/Mountain Dew strip, right? Well, it's pretty much an actual commercial now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSNu-unfMeU

The YouTube page is an exercise in why corporate YouTube channels typically keep their comments section disabled. The Friskies Adventureland commercial was a great example of this prior to the comments being shuttered.

Donnicton on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    All I can think is "damn, that's a hell of a lot of Doritos, Lays, Sun Chips, Cheetos, and Ruffles for a single gas station".

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    One of the gas stations near me just finished a major renovation that I swear must have been sponsored by Frito-Lay and Pepsi. It looks a lot like that.

But that's not very industry is it, this isn't the gas station store thread let's see if I can find some real news to post with it.
    Remember that game-killing bug in Zero Escape? Aksys has confirmed that they're working on a fix.

We're still working on that internally and hopefully can reach a resolution that can result in a fix.

No word on what the fix will be, which means it could be a digital or retail solution at this point.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Speaking of patches, there's one coming for Assassin's Creed 3 that apparently fixes a shit load of problems.

http://www.examiner.com/article/assassin-s-creed-3-thanksgiving-patch-includes-single-and-multiplayer-fixes

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Amazon currently has what is most likely a kind of hilarious error for Declassified:
    http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Declassified-PlayStation-Vita/dp/B002I0H09Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353112515&sr=8-1&keywords=call+of+duty+declassified
    Discontinued by manufacturer: Yes

Amazon currently has what is most likely a kind of hilarious error for Declassified:
    http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Declassified-PlayStation-Vita/dp/B002I0H09Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353112515&sr=8-1&keywords=call+of+duty+declassified
    Discontinued by manufacturer: Yes

Maybe it's a sign.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I can't imagine that they did a very big print run for copies of the game that weren't going to be included in the Vita bundle.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    So it appears Kids R Us: Gamestop edition is a thing now. At least, if you live out in bumblef-
    Vkfo4.png

Donnicton on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Are they opening more stores or are they finally finding a logical use for all the Babbages they bought?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)