As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gamma World PbP] Odyssey to the West (Game Thread)

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    That's correct. Outside of combat the time it takes you to shift isn't a big deal, but in combat it counts as a standard action even if you don't attack.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Cheers! Now let's see if this plan works.

Octzi quickly shifts behind the damaged droid, putting a hand on NT-MTR's shoulder he shapeshifts to mimic the Badder currently assaulting them. Giving a grunt or two he peeks over the droid's other shoulder with weapon aimed around NT's side.

"Hey you! What the hell do you think you're doing! I'm trying to bring these prisoners to you, and you try and blow my goddamn head off?" The gruff bark of his new voice takes Octzi off-guard, however he gives another grunt and a snort for good measure before adding his own inflection to the ventriloquism act, adding to his disguise.

"Now I'm gonna come around and lead these guys to you. You even think of pulling that trigger and I'll fucking shoot the white off your black you got me!"

Shift to O9

Interaction check to fool the gang: 1d20 +8 +5 = 25

The second badder lowers his crossbow somewhat, trading confused glances with the rest of his group. "The King didn't say anything about prisoners," he says, taking a hand off of his weapon to scratch behind one ear. He looks back at the pigs questioningly.

For their part, the two porkers just shrug, almost in unison. "We just 'ere to get paid," one of them says, "The King left, an' he ain't bein' followed right now. That's a job done way I see it."

"Yeah," the other porker says, "Just take 'em to the bunker an' be done widit."

B2, P1, and P2 take no actions on their turns.

@GrimmyTOA is up next.

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Is the area under those walkways accessible? Also, are stealth rules as they are in D&D 4e (need to break LOS, penalty for moving etc) or have they been Gammafied?

GrimmyTOA on
    Yes. You can move underneath them normally.

Stealth works similarly to 4E. You need to have superior cover or total concealment to become hidden. You make your Stealth check at the end of your move action. If you want to move while remaining hidden, your Stealth check is at -5. Once hidden, you only need partial cover or regular concealment to remain hidden.

So, for the obvious follow-up: would those walkways give me superior cover or total concealment? That is to say: can I scurry under them and hide?

Yeah I should have seen that coming. The answer is: only to someone standing on top of the walkway. The walkways are about six feet high and are easy to see under, particularly with all the light spilling out of the teleportation platform.

The platform itself would give you superior cover to anyone on the other side of it. Squares H2-3, I2-3, and J1-4 would all provide superior cover based on where the enemies are currently standing.

You can also hide in the room next to you. The door is not locked and slides open with a free action. Keep in mind though that the door is the only way in and out.

The rats, taking keen advantage of the pigs' momentary hesitation, make a break for cover and disappear behind the teleportation platform.

Move to I3
    Stealthing: 1d20+4 24
    Not sure if I'll be in plain view when someone rounds that corner, but it can't hurt.

@Antimatter for the next turn

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    NT-MTR rubs its wounded chest, and makes an angry frown on its monitor for a brief instant. It files the name "The King" to the robot in its memory banks, puts its gun away, and whispers to Octzi, "I will follow this course of action for as long as it is effective." It raises its hands in the air, and walks towards the bunkers. "I will not rebel, I will not lash out, I will not fight back."

whoops, @wildwood

• wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Bofsat shudders in confusion. "Did the badger eat the squid? Why are the rats hiding?" he says to himself. He focuses on keeping the shuddering under control, trying to make sense of all this.

Suddenly, he reaches a conclusion. "The pigs broke the platform. The pigs hurt ARRC." He charges at the badger that shot NT-MTR. "You broke it! You broke it!" he shrieks, spinning and smashing.

move to H9
    Maximum Overdrive on B1: shift to F9, Attack:1d20+8 = 25 Damage: 2d8+6 => 13
    B1 takes 13 damage, and has -2 to attack any of us, EONT Bofsat

Next up: Badder 1

Edit: meaning, next up, @Denada

wildwood on
    edited October 2012
    Round 2

enc01-round2.jpg

The sudden flurry of movement rips the gang out of their confusion. Shouts, snorts, and barks echo through the room as rats scurry and disappear, an android surrenders, and another charges.

Bofsat's attack hits hard, causing the badder to stumble backward, almost tripping over a cable running along the floor. He lets loose another shot as he catches himself, this one hitting Bofsat.

B1 uses Clever Shot against Bofsat.
    -B1 shifts to D9.
    -B1 hits Bofsat for 9 damage, and Bofsat grants Combat Advantage to adjacent enemies until the start of B1's next turn.

- - - - -

Badder 1 (B1) - 9/22 - AC 15; F 13, R 14, W 13
    Octzi - 23/23 - AC 19; F 11, R 16, W 15
    Badder 2 (B2) - 22/22 - AC 15; F 13, R 14, W 13
    Porker 1 (P1) - 29/29 - AC 17; F 16, R 13, W 12
    Porker 2 (P2) - 29/29 - AC 17; F 16, R 13, W 12
    Harmless - 26/26 - AC 20; F 13, R 15, W 14
    NT-MTR - 11/20 - AC 18; F 15, R 15, W 13
    Bofsat - 23/32 - AC 15; F 17, R 14, W 11
    Location: F9 - Status: Granting CA to adjacent enemies (eo B1 nt).

Hazard: Unstable Teleportation Platform (active)

Up next: @Gatsby

Denada on
    "Oh for the love of..." Octzi mutters, watching Bofsat run processor-first into the fray. Cocking his rivet gun, the currently-still-badger shapeshifter notices what could provide some cover if he can get close enough. Tapping NT-MTR between their shoulder blades he barks out a quick, "cover me!"

Weaving around the droid Octzi slides to a stop at the base of the teleporter. Raising his gun he draws a bead on the nearest Badder and opens fire.

Move to L7

Light Ranged Attack on B2, Attack: 1d20 + 9 vs AC = 23

Damage: 1d12 + 5 = 17

Next up, @Denada

edited November 2012
    enc01-round2b.jpg

"What the hell!" the badder that Octzi shot yells, clutching the new hole in his body. "Damnit! You shot me!" He continues stating the obvious as he steps forward, firing back and hitting Octzi with a bolt from his crossbow. "I'm bleeding!" he yells, running towards the tunnel.

The porkers don't seem particularly put off by the burst of combat. One of them lets loose a horrific belch in the direction of Bofsat, the stench so powerful that it overloads some of his sensors. Meanwhile, the other porker simply smacks him across the face with his flail, causing the already staggered Bofsat to roll a few feet backward. The porker sneers as he steps into the vacated space, seemingly unaffected by the lingering smell.

B2 uses Clever Shot against Octzi.
    -B2 shifts to H9.
    -B2 hits Octzi for 11 damage, and Octzi grants Combat Advantage to adjacent enemies until the start of B2's next turn.

P1 uses Foul Belch in squares E8 thru F9.
    -P1 hits Bofsat for 5 poison damage, and Bofsat is Dazed until the end of P1's next turn.
    P1 moves to D8.

P2 uses Flail against Bofsat.
    -P2 hits Bofsat for 4 damage, and Bofsat is pushed to G9.
    -P2 shifts to F9.

- - - - -

Badder 1 (B1) - 9/22 - AC 15; F 13, R 14, W 13
    Octzi - 12/23 - AC 19; F 11, R 16, W 15
    Location: L7 - Status: Granting CA to adjacent enemies (so B2 nt).
    Badder 2 (B2) - 5/22 - AC 15; F 13, R 14, W 13
    Porker 2 (P2) - 26/29 - AC 17; F 16, R 13, W 12
    Bofsat - 14/32 - AC 15; F 17, R 14, W 11
    Location: G9 - Status: Bloodied. Granting CA to adjacent enemies (so B1 nt). Dazed (eo P1 nt).

Up next: @GrimmyTOA

Denada on
    Now that Bofsat is bloodied/losing containment, any creature that ends its turn next to him takes 3 fire and sonic damage. Does that include P2, or just creatures from now on?

Yes, sorry. For some reason this morning my brain thought 14*2=38. Bofsat is bloodied and P2 does indeed take the damage.

"Hey guys?"
    "Yeah?"
    "Lets get 'em!"
    "Yeah!"

The rats stream across the floor and leap upon the wounded Badder, biting and gnawing and in one case tunnelling it to death.

"Rawr and stuff!"
    "We mean some of you no haaaarm!"

Move to E7 (via F6 to avoid OAs)
    Attack B2 (light 1h melee): 1d20+8 19 HIT.
    Damage to Badder: 1d8+5 6
    B2 Dies.

@Antimatter is up.

edited November 2012
    @denada shouldn't the demon critical be level 2, on my character sheet? or are you modifying when we get crit effects for this campaign?

"I'm sorry that your plan failed, User Octzi." NT-MTR moves up a few feet, over to the left onto the teleportation platform, draws its gun, and fires once at the living Badder. "Retribution will be enacted for harming this unit."

move to K5
    Attack B1 (light 1 handed gun) 1d20+9 = (26) HIT.
    Damage to Badder: 1d8+5 = (13)
    B1: Dead.
    @Wildwood is up

note to self: only use the gun the once so i can still have ammo after this encounter

"One shot, one kill."

Antimatter on
    Oops. Yeah, first critical effect is at level 2. You also get to choose which critical you get at either 2 or 6, so tell me which one you want when you level up.

edited November 2012
    Bofsat reels from the stench, being painfully reminded that he has smell sensors. The damage he's suffered so far threatens to overload some circuits, shooting gouts of flame. Automatic explosion-prevention sensors start alarming loudly.

Bofsat finds just enough focus to spin and maul at the pig in front of him, but the fumes are too much for him to aim properly.

"No closer, Rats."

single action: Maximum Overdrive against P2
    shift to F10
    1d20+8 vs AC => 10 First Miss! ...woot?

Edit: next up: @Denada

wildwood on
    edited November 2012
    Round 3

enc01-round3.jpg

The two porkers appear distressed at the sudden thinning of their numbers, but don't have time to react before Octzi.

Octzi - 12/23 - AC 19; F 11, R 16, W 15
    Porker 2 (P2) - 26/29 - AC 17; F 16, R 13, W 12
    Bofsat - 14/32 - AC 15; F 17, R 14, W 11

Hazard: Unstable Teleportation Platform (active)

Up next: @Gatsby

Denada on
    A ripple flashes across Octzi's body for a moment, as he takes the brunt of that last attack. His shapes flashes for a brief moment between several other forms; namely a weedy gentleman with grease stains on his face, his current Badder form, and what seems to be some sort of grey mannequin-like figure, all before settling back to his favoured Octopoid body. Reeling from the crossbow bolt, the shapeshifter stumbles forward before loosing off a glancing shot.

Move to I9

Attack (Light 2H ranged) against P2: 1d20 + 9 vs. AC = 23

Damage: 1d12 + 5 = 7

Next up: @Denada

One porker waddles over to Harmless, hoping to crush a few rats with his flail. He hits hard, unfortunately he hits hard approximately three seconds ago, according to the rats that just left that particular spot.

The other porker fares far worse. Getting shot makes him a little upset, so he leaves Bofsat to take care of Octzi. This proves to be a bad idea, as Bofsat only appears to be on the verge of shutting down. The shaky robot swings his weapon the moment the porker lets his guard down, nearly taking off the pig's head in the process.

"Oh hell," the remaining porker says, looking from his dead companions to the swarm of rats in front of him. "Oh bloody hell."

P1 moves to E7 and attacks Harmless with Flail. P1 misses.

P2 moves to H9, provoking an Opportunity Attack from Bofsat. Bofsat hits for 19 damage. P2 dies.

Up next: @GrimmyTOA

edited November 2012
    If you've never seen half-a-hundred rats grin at you in unison before, I don't recommend it. Survivors' descriptions range from 'bone-chilling' to 'pants-wetting' with a sizable minority choosing to sit in a corner muttering and rocking and picking at their own scabs.

The surviving Porker had never met any of these survivors, of course. Nor, frankly, would he. The rats swarm all over the unfortunate pigman, gnawing and giggling as they go. The pigman, terrified, finds himself unable to run....

Swarm!ing the porker: 1d20+5 23 Vs Reflex -- it's a Hit.
    Swarm damage vs. Porker: 1d8+6 11.
    Porker takes 11 damage and is immobilized until end of Harmless' next turn.

Up next: @Antimatter

GrimmyTOA on
    edited November 2012
    NT-MTR shudders at the sight of the swarm attacking the Porker. I didn't even know I could shudder... Wait. How long have I been calling myself I?
    NT-MTR shakes its head, ignoring the thought for now. I should put the poor thing out of its misery. I exist to help.

It dashes to the right, moves forward, but tumbles down before it can move into melee range. It clutches its head, and looks down at its stomach. It's starting to blaze, it feels its teleportation module starting to activate. It rises up, fists clenched, chest outward, what feels like an inferno erupting from its gut towards the porker.

It's just a shame this dramatic moment is cut short by mere smoke coughing out of its gut.
    NT-MTR: Moves to G7

Blackfire 'Port: 1d20+5 → [1,5] = (6) ALPHA FLUX

Suddenly, there was a change.

NT-MTR's teleportation module activates regardless, and bounces it behind the porker. It grabs the porker, needles erupt from the robot's fingers, and it injects the pig mutant, draining vitality.
    NT-MTR: Moves to D7
    Vampiric Healing: 1d20+4 → [18,4] = (22) HIT
    Damage: 3d8-1+2 → [3,2,5,-1,2] = (11)
    NT-MTR gains 6 HP

@wildwood

Antimatter on
    NT-MTR's new Alpha Mutation is Vampiric Healing.

Also don't forget that you can still teleport even though you missed. Also also, don't forget that Blackfire Port is a minor action.

oh, i thought that was teleport on hit! thank you for all that, i'll edit my post. you're a darn good GM.

Bofsat sees his friends come closer and the pigs fall. Time to contain himself. He opens a panel on his side and hits the "Operational Overload Prevention System" button, triggering internal repairs and a reboot of his smell sensors. He quickly stops venting plasma, looking much more like his normal self.

But still angry. "Why did you break it?" he shrieks at the pig, moving closer, slamming his club into the ground for emphasis. "Bad pig!" <slam> "Say you're sorry!" <slam>

Bofsat stops next to the porker, his club raised. Then he looks over to Octzi. "Do I kill it?"

Second Wind as a minor action, so I don't scorch any friendlies - HP to 30
    Move to F8
    If possible, I'd like to hold my attack until either Octzi gives the order, or P1 makes a hostile move against any of us, before the start of my next turn.

Next up: @Gatsby

That's fine. I'll consider it a readied action, set to trigger if P1 attacks.

"Don't kill him..." Octzi kneels down and pins the Porker with his extra appendages. "Yet, anyway. Now tell us little piggy, who is this King and what's he worth?"

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I am back online! I can jump into the game whenever Denada feels is appropriate. Here's a picture he can use to turn into an icon for arrcd.
    QpiyJ.gif

I'm seeing an old abandoned amusement park in our future...

We're going to need

Some traps

Tempted to have my icon changed to this now

Squiddly_diddly.jpg

The porker snorts. "Guess I ain't gettin' paid now anyway. The hoop on the bike. Them idiot badders call 'im the SiliKing. Dunno much about 'im, but he's got a crown an' he pays in good scrap." He sneers, or makes the closest thing to a sneer that his pig-face can manage. "He stole something outta your machine there. Lemme go and I'll tell you where he went."

Huh, so the robot isnt the king after all. figures. NT-MTR approximates snapping its knuckles, a skull appears on its monitor. "I can help loosen your tongue. I'm made to help."
    Interaction: 1d20+1 → [15,1] = (16)
    intent: intimidation

"That's really friendly of you, Mr Pig-man."
    "Yes!"
    "We rather think that you'll help anyway, though."
    "Yeah!"
    "Or we'll eat your eyeballs!"
    "Humphrey, how rude!"
    "What? It's true."
    "... Well, yes."
    "More than half the times we got to eat his eyeballs."
    "I know, but you don't come right out and say it."
    "Oh. Well, sorry then Mr Pig-man. Perhaps you could be helpful of your own volition and we can leave the talk about who eats what aside."
    "Much better."
    "For now."
    "Dammit Humphrey."

Interaction roll to Aid Other: Antimatter's intimidation.
    Aiding antimatter's intimidation: 1d20+7 15

The porker looks like he's going to say something in response to NT-MTR's intimidation, but then the rats start talking. His sneer quickly turns to fear, and his face becomes decidedly less pink. "Follow the tunnel out. Go up Dixway. He's holed up in the Old Mill factory. Landweb I think it's called." At that moment a nearby computer monitor comes to life, and a message from the ARRC's computer system begins scrolling on the screen.
    Malfunction in Teleportation Platform detected. Authorization Signal Stabilizer is not responding.
    Automated repair algorithm stopped at line 3464657832. Deploy drone.
    ERROR
    Control daemon corrupted. Drone platform unstable. Running diagnostics...
    Diagnostics complete. Unable to identify source of added features. No hits in virus database. Probably
    okay. Deploy drone.

A panel in the wall opens, and out steps a shining silver android with glowing red eyes. A second panel opens and drops a large backpack next to it.

arrcd: You've found your way into a controllable body. Conveniently, the ARRC computer has also just released this body from confinement. You've been assigned a mission of finding the missing Authorization Signal Stabilizer from the Teleportation Platform and putting it back so that the platform can be reactivated. There's also a secondary mission about the ARRC's stabilization core needing repair and the loss of all life inside the ARRC if it isn't fixed. You should look into that as well. As you step out in your new body, you see dead bodies on the floor, and a frightened pig-man surrounded by four mutants. They appear to be the team you've been assigned to.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    arrcd steps out of the panel and spins its head around in a quick 360-degree turn, taking survey of the situation. There's a cycle or two of mild confusion, as it remembers that maneuver is usually accompanied by the popping of ligaments and joints, and then remembers that the units it is programmed to control are not biological in nature and so it should have no such association to begin with. The notion is logged and flagged for further investigation. It picks up its backpack and secures it to its back and then walks over to the cluster of individuals.

"Greetings to you. I am ARRCD unit designated," it pauses, and looks at the standard-issue jumpsuit it is wearing. "Designated 'Maxwell'. You may address me as such, or simply 'ARRCD'."

"My mission infodump informs me that this one," arrcd gestures to the porker. "Is not a member of the designated team. He is unauthorized to be here." The last few words of the sentence are punctuated by a small gout of flame emerging from arrcd's eyes, and seems to come from a voice not at all like the modulated tones of the ARRC Drone, instead being so deep in register that it seems to vibrate slightly in the pits of everyone's... stomach, perhaps, if only because the notion of every individual present having a soul is strange and unknown territory for moral philosophers.

DarkPrimus on